• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Dagashi Kashi

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Muffum

PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2016 1:10 pm Reply with quote
I found this episode interesting because, when compared with other recent episodes, it shows a contrast between different parts of the source material. As the manga went on, it gradually made the shift from attempting actual punchlines to just being content with its atmospheric humor. However, since the anime's been skipping around and adapting chapters in a basically random order, that change isn't as immediately evident. For example, in the manga, the entirety of episode 7 took place much later than anything that happened in episodes 8 or 9.
HelloBucket

PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2016 3:18 pm Reply with quote
I feel like Nick is getting a little blinded by the bombast in some of the more joke-heavy episodes. While it's true the big, overt jokes are generally misses, I think there's still a fair bit of the low-key character humor hiding in their shadow in these scenes. The show is better without that distraction, but I don't feel like what makes it good ever entirely leaves the room.
TheOtakuX

PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2016 10:48 pm Reply with quote
I'm reminded why I tend to never read reviews.
TheFullmetalOne

PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2016 12:22 pm Reply with quote
I guess every episode can't be pure gold, but such is life.
Snakebit1995

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2016 6:46 pm Reply with quote
This was the best episode so far, lots of Hotaru being silly, the characters being friends, just a fun chapter to brighten you day...especially after my NCAA bracket got busted.
HaruhiToy

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2016 11:46 am Reply with quote
Ep 10 review wrote:
this week's episode showed just how pleasant it can be when it sticks to its comfort zone.

Maybe the show is in its comfort zone but I found that I wasn't in mine.

It might be that I have gotten too old for this kind of anime or this kind of humor. Watching this episode I could only think how this beautiful young girl is destroying herself by constantly consuming junk food -- tons of sugars (highly refined carbohydrates) and then taking on a remedy of even more of it. She is young and seems to be genetically gifted so she can probably tolerate a lot of it but if this keeps up no amount of cheerful vitality is going to protect her from the medical consequences. That is if she were a real girl.

I am reminded of the arc in Ouran High School where the little kid martial arts superman (I forget the name) who is always eating cake gets a toothache. The presumption in the script is he just abstains a little bit then the tooth will heal and he can eat more cake again and everything is fine.

For me it is no joke. Twenty years ago I weighed nearly 50 pounds more than I do now and was miserable about it and convinced that I was just eating too much. The doctor wanted to put me on statin drugs which I refused because that at least I knew better. Nutrition science was not my thing but I finally turned my attention to it and I found out how wrong all the advice and been given (succinctly: low-fat, "balanced" diet of mostly vegetarian foods.)

Without getting into more boring details I got into that condition by eating the way Hotaru does and I got out of it by understanding what is so wrong with what she is doing. So the funny in this skit is much diminished for me.
Spike Terra
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2016 1:41 pm Reply with quote
HaruhiToy wrote:

I am reminded of the arc in Ouran High School where the little kid martial arts superman (I forget the name) who is always eating cake gets a toothache. The presumption in the script is he just abstains a little bit then the tooth will heal and he can eat more cake again and everything is fine.

Wait, are you telling me that abstaining from sweets for a little while won't magically heal my teeth? My life is a lie and it's all Mori-Sempai's fault.

Kidding aside, I understand why this episode rubbed you the wrong way. Constantly consuming junk food can ruin a person and if Hotaro were a real person, she would need to seek help on trying to kick her terrible eating habits.

This was the one episode in which I was uncool with the way that Kokunutsu acted. The first act made him seem like a drug pusher, while Hotaru was obviously in pain and trying to resist his product. I can forgive him for it because he was just being dense and he made up for it in the second part.

Overall, I still love this show for it's atmosphere and character interactions.
Snakebit1995

PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2016 4:38 pm Reply with quote
Th episode had two things for me. It drives home that Saya has naturally uncanny luck, as Guy-Sensei would say, Luck is a true measure of your skill.

A portion of Part 2 that drove home something weird for me was that Kokonatsu actually looked upset when he realized that Hotaru was talking about candy and not herself. Like these two are just friends (Not even with benefits, purely platonic friends) and he got all depressed about the fact she was only talking about candy. Like what fantasy would does he think he's in where he actually thought she was about to pop her blouse open and say "Here grab on."
HaruhiToy

PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2016 5:02 pm Reply with quote
Snakebit1995 wrote:
Like what fantasy would does he think he's in where he actually thought she was about to pop her blouse open and say "Here grab on."

I can quite assure you he wouldn't be alone with that particular notion. Like 90% of all other 16-year-old males.

Thing is for him Hotaru is actually quite doable. All he would have to do is say something like they needed to see if it compared to the boob ice cream they were going on about 2 episodes back. Hotaru would totally go for it.
HaruhiToy

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2016 9:42 am Reply with quote
Ep 11 wrote:
making this the first episode in quite a while that actually played around with intimacy and fanservice.

How much fan service can it be when Hotaru shows about as much skin as an Eskimo in a blizzard? So Coconuts got a feel of Saya's coconuts big deal.

The soft ground of this whole story is just how the hell does Yo actually make enough money with this business to live on? From the looks of it they get maybe one customer a day with an average sale price of maybe 25 yen. Then more often than not they give away freebies and on top of that they eat much of their own inventory. This is the business model the mega-corporation wants to co-opt?
vonPeterhof

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2016 12:17 pm Reply with quote
HaruhiToy wrote:
The soft ground of this whole story is just how the hell does Yo actually make enough money with this business to live on? From the looks of it they get maybe one customer a day with an average sale price of maybe 25 yen. Then more often than not they give away freebies and on top of that they eat much of their own inventory. This is the business model the mega-corporation wants to co-opt?
I've been sort of curious about this myself. Non Non Biyori, a franchise which this anime and manga often get compared to and contrasted with, did eventually address the speculations about how their resident dagashi-ya manages to make a living with so few kids around. It's hard to judge if the community in this show is larger or not, but there might be something similar going on here (in which case getting Yō into the Shidare company would be less about co-opting a business model and more about moving good talent into a more suitable market). Well, either that or the shop is actually a money laundering front for the real business Yō has on the side. Speaking of, why is he absent all the time? Smile
Snakebit1995

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2016 1:44 pm Reply with quote
I loved the final episode, a calm and content end for a calm and content series.
Rensie

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2016 1:48 pm Reply with quote
This was one of these serie that make me feel sleeping. Really boring and slow show. >_>
CheezcakeMe

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2016 2:07 pm Reply with quote
HaruhiToy wrote:

Without getting into more boring details I got into that condition by eating the way Hotaru does and I got out of it by understanding what is so wrong with what she is doing. So the funny in this skit is much diminished for me.

Maybe they should do a 10 years later sequel series. It opens in the hospital where Hotaru, now 100 lbs overweight, listens as the doctor sadly tells her she's contracted type two diabetes and she'll have to give up the sweets if she wants to live long enough to watch her children graduate high school. It'd be hiiiilllaaarrriiooouusss!
motormind

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2016 2:42 pm Reply with quote
I thought it was a bit of shame that it wasn't a true love confession in the last episode. I'm convinced Hotaru and Saya would make a nice couple. A tad odd, for sure, but nice indeed.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 5 of 6