• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: High School Fleet

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Hiroki not Takuya

PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2016 1:51 pm Reply with quote
@Gina Szanboti, sorry I thought May21 comment asserted that latitude could go >100 degrees. spoiler[Again with the Captain going on a mission and now Shiro is OK with it??. There's no way Akeno shouldn't be demoted after that, especially with the ship being damaged. I loved the "goodby scene" between Coco and Mina.] The end text is supposed to read like a line from a Yakuza drama, something like "(I'm) Outta turns, but I'll (washi) see ya huh"
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2016 10:00 pm Reply with quote
^ No prob. I could even see how you thought that.

Episode 9

That was actually not too bad. Nobody took a bath, they made their plans before the shooting started and not in the middle of it, and they didn't stop for a banquet until it was over. And to top it off, for the first time I felt like I could possibly let these girls crew a sailboat without fearing for their lives and the lives of everyone within a 3 mile radius. Character development!

Also, Super Soakers ftw!
Eugen Skladany

PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2016 1:51 pm Reply with quote
AOTS
DerekL1963
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2016 7:14 pm Reply with quote
High School Fleet remembers that it's technically a school comedy, and manages to cram in a Culture Festival episode.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2016 7:23 pm Reply with quote
When I realized this episode was going nowhere, I just skipped to the part where the adults made a stab at advancing the plot, then ffwd to see if anything else happened. It didn't.

What are they doing down at the equator? Shocked
Hiroki not Takuya

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2016 2:22 pm Reply with quote
@DerekL1963 I don't think HaiFuri was ever supposed to be a comedy, though definitely a high school story. My guess is that the "comedy" (possibly with extended sex jokes) was intended to be relief to the dramatic storyline for the middle-school girl viewership but it sort of overtook the show, which has left the characters seem like a bunch of incompetent idiots and diffused the focus of the story. This week left that behind for now and I appreciate the return to dramatic roots and with the characters seeming competency, but still can't believe no one seems to be sensitive to the "voice tubes" around the ship when they want to have a "private" conversation or say things that should be private (except when convenient!). Still, I'm excited for next week. Also on the metaphorical front, the Blumers get "pinched" by the Mushashi's Big Cannons (you know what that means..) and I wonder what'll happen if 'Shiro is mayo for Akeno (and another girl is mustard)? Twisted Evil

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2016 11:23 pm Reply with quote
ep 11,

Only reason I'm really sticking with this series is I want to see what exactly is going on, who is behind all of this mess and what their goal is. Not a whole lot of time to explain that and I have this sinking feeling that the series is going to end with a "to be continued..." or something like that where they don't actually explain what's going on.

Honestly the characters annoy me, I really wish they had done some more character development, especially with the captain. Multiple times throughout the series it looks like she's going to finally take charge and start actually acting like a captain but every single time she goes back to crying in a corner and saying she doesn't know what to do. It's too late to try and turn her into something impressive at this point when she's basically just been dead weight the entire season.
RestLessone

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2016 11:38 am Reply with quote
Episode 12

Well, we did get some cool action scenes. That was nice.

But on a whole, I'd describe the ending as "undeserved." I never came to care for the characters, they spent a whole lotta time doing useless things, and the main conflict was both ill-defined and reaching. It was like they needed a threat that would ultimately leave no one culpable, and the rodents were what they came up with. After that, they just applied whatever loophole needed to move the plot along.

Their brief explanation--a "hivemind" virus--was never explored and if I think about it more, it doesn't make a whole lot of sense. Who is the "queen bee" of the hive? Is it a rodent? If they wanted to get to land, why didn't they try that immediately instead of floating along for however long? Why is saltwater a temporary cure? Why can't it impact cats or other mammals? Lest we forget when what's-her-name on the Harekaze was infected, fell into the water, and exploded back onto deck.

I rather have had there be some corrupt force be behind everything than...that. In any case, I didn't feel anything when the Harekaze sank. I felt no attachment to it or the characters who manned it.
Hameyadea

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2016 12:01 pm Reply with quote
RestLessone wrote:
I rather have had there be some corrupt force be behind everything than...that. In any case, I didn't feel anything when the Harekaze sank. I felt no attachment to it or the characters who manned it.

I agree. How come nearly all the runaway ships had live ammunition, despite supposedly being prep'd with dummy, blanks, and other such munition? How did a ship controlled by zombified students managed to incapacitate three of the four Blue Mermaid vessels, who are suppose to be well-trained and highly-experienced? They have drones but not a single reconnaissance plane?

I also didn't find myself worrying about the characters of the show too much. After a mine exploded right underneath that light speedboat, a shell hit directly in the observation post, and the numerous reports of "0 fatalities, only a few lightly-injured and bruised crew members" made it hard to feel anything through all that obvious Plot Armor. The action scenes of the last episode were cool and exciting, but they weren't tense.

The show was a nice show-piece for Production IMS, but not particularly memorable.

Last edited by Hameyadea on Sun Jun 26, 2016 1:07 pm; edited 1 time in total
Dfens

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2016 12:57 pm Reply with quote
This show was no where near the level of Girls Und Panzer I'm surprised I made it to it's sad and pitiful end.

Your telling me that with all the current tech they couldn't hit one giant ship with all those deck mounted cannons. It also seemed like the torpedo's didn't really do anything real damage which is bs. And the newer ships what no anti-ship missles seemed like the show went through so much trouble not to have any casualties.

As others have said I didn't feel anything for the characters or the fact the ship sank in the end.

The show was so rushed and had so much wasted potential. I had really had high hopes when it first started but I could never recommend this show to anyone.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2016 1:46 pm Reply with quote
ep 12,

While the last episode did have a lot of action, it did not make up for all the shortcomings of the series leading up to it.

And what really pissed me off is there was zero explanation as to who was behind the virus, their motivations, how the electrical equipment kept being disabled at key moments etc. That's lazy writing, and since there is no other materials (light novel, manga etc) to explain this fact we may never know.

I spent more time being annoyed and pissed off during this series (at characters and their actions, as well as the general flow and plot) than being excited and happy. Not the best way to remember a series.
Enner

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2016 2:49 pm Reply with quote
Tough crowd.

While the characters got lost in meandering and their development lacked the grace and focus of Girls und Panzer, I am ultimately coming away happy from the series end. To add, enough to be eager (rather than anxious) to see a sequel, if it ever happens.

I can see the frustrations brought from how the cute moe and the serious drama clashed diminished the series. The higher stakes of mutiny and a mind-controlling virus brought a higher level of scrutiny that Haifuri was not interested in meeting.

In closing, while I don't think Haifuri deserves an OVA and a hit movie, I wouldn't mind it if it happened.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2016 3:38 pm Reply with quote
I didn't understand why the ship even sank. If it was so badly damaged and taking on water, they should have evacuated it at sea instead of risking sinking on the way to shore. I guess dramatically, I get why they did it that way, and sense never trumped drama in this.

I'm also unclear about the torpedoes. Is there something about the physics of an underwater strike that make it look like the torpedoes detonate 10 or 20 feet from their targets? Maybe that's accurate, but visually it was very frustrating, since it never looked like they hit anything (and the ships rarely seemed affected after being hit anyway).

Yeah, this one was not for me. I would've dropped it early on if they hadn't been so good at cliffhangers. Smile
Hiroki not Takuya

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2016 5:57 pm Reply with quote
@Gina Szanboti, you ask such good questions. I agree totally about the sinking, it seemed unrealistic and a rather silly device for the ending. Hull damage on a ship is immediate and rarely (I'd like to say never) escalates by itself, maybe in really rough seas(?). If one were to take this realistically, it would require the girls to be so incompetent that they didn't check for or notice forward compartment flooding and the helms-girl not noticing the ship "prowing in" (think this is the right term...) on the way back.

As for the explosions, maybe a misunderstanding by the artists? The physics involved would be that the refractive index of water (1.33) causes the apparent distance of underwater objects when viewed at an angle from above to be greater than the actual position, so an exploding object in open water would seem to be further away but the explosion would surface closer. However, with torpedoes exploding at the hull, a good amount of the water still gets displaced along the hull which would make it appear to be right above the spot.

@#844391, The virus and the rest was "explained" 5 minutes into Ep8 but was ridiculous, so not very satisfying. I think they intended the girls to be less competent at the beginning so they could visibly improve into becoming competent "sailors" by the end, but if so it wasn't handled well. Still, I liked this show "warts and all" and hope for an OVA or second season.
Dfens

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2016 6:13 pm Reply with quote
If the show focused on the characters more and if they eventually grew I might have given it less slack. But Akeno always fell back to being weak and helpless instead of growing out of the being the weakest mold to at first what looked like a very competent Captain that thought outside the box. Or Mashiro the Vice Captain who came from a family with a strong Naval tradition being all by the book hard ass, who needed to relax a little and learn to let loose a little. Did we get any of that for any of the characters nope.

Plus all the Naval battles were so full of it. Even WWII tech they should have been able to do more damage than what they did. And like what was mentioned before with the newer ships how the anti-missles computers went haywire with no explanation very convenient that the most effective weapon didn't blow the Musashi out of the water before they posed any serious threat.

As for the torpedo's come on one of the most effective anti-ship measures that hits below the water line and do the most damage not only failed to hit with all the current tech to guide them and if they did hit it was like their was no warheads in them at all.

To me the show was trying to do too much and lost it's way before it could decide what it really wanted to be. First we have a mutiny, but it's not a real one, then some sort of accident causing all the student ships to go awol, then it's a virus that doesn't get explored since bam we have a cure so who cares. To ok got to now treat and save all our comrades all while battling at sea with such unrealistic accuracy. If the virus was such a threat to mankind their should have been a plan to sink any ship that they couldn't save just in case but of course that wasn't going to happen.

If this show was cute girls sailing ships and what not it might have been a better show instead of being all over the place. I would have liked to see the girls move on past their one dimension roles and grow with time.

Still I guess we shouldn't have expected much with a show that has warships manned by highschool girls that patrol the open seas with no real opponents or wars to fight.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Page 5 of 5