• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Answerman - Do Dubs Really Contain More Swearing?

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
AnimeLordLuis

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2016 11:35 pm Reply with quote
I don't really care if a dub goes over board on swearing since I really don't get offered by anything. That and the fact that I'm pretty much desensitized thanks to American television and movies. Wink
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2016 4:56 am Reply with quote
A case of a genuine Japanese cuss word is "Kuso". It can be translated as "crap" or "s--t". However, that swear word is probably not on the same level of vulgarity as its English counterparts. Also, pretty much every language has its own swear words.
AnimeFlyz

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2016 7:38 am Reply with quote
Quote:
Hell Girl episode 7 had a large amount of swearing added for no reason. So, you basically hear Caitlin Glass saying the f-word every other second.

You mean Brina Palencia right?
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2016 12:34 pm Reply with quote
AnimeFlyz, Caitlin played a minor character that dropped the F-word excessively.
FLCLGainax

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2016 12:57 pm Reply with quote
Fenrin wrote:
That's what turned me away from the Durarara!! dub when it aired on Adult Swim.
I don't see the point in bleeping out swear words on late night tv, it made the show seem trashier that way.

I remember the way they edited it was so lazy. Instead of just bleeping out the offending word, sometimes the whole line would get bleeped as well. One instance happened in an early episode where originally in the uncut dub, Masaomi just says 'Holy s--t!' . In the AS airing, they made it seem as if he said something much much worse.
Afezeria

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2016 3:58 am Reply with quote
The recently aired third episode for Drifter has a pilot that cursed in Japanese so much that the subtitle took advantage of that immediately. This is a perfect opportunity for those cursing hungry english dubbing company.
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2016 4:04 am Reply with quote
MrFox123 wrote:
Merxamers wrote:
characters inexplicably swear like sailors,.

Almost equally amusing is whenever a discussion comes and uses such an old outdated phrase Laughing

What happened? Did sailors stop swearing one day that I wasn't aware of?

explosionforgov wrote:
For me, it all boils down to a few questions:

1. How accurate is it to the original script? Some writers curse more than others.
2. If it isn't accurate, is it at least in-character for whoever is cursing?
3. If it's toned down from the original, is it because they plan to air the show on TV? I honestly don't mind edits if they don't detract too much from the show, and if it's meant to achieve a wider audience.

Well, according to the article, swearing is a concept that is pretty different between English and Japanese. As a result, accuracy is impossible, or at least differs greatly between individuals.

This is definitely a concept I understand--my parents' first language does not have anything resembling swearing in English. Amusingly, because of that, all seven of those dirty words in English got co-opted so people could use them in that way.

Lostlorn Forest wrote:
I guess it doesn't really matter though. It's not as if dubs serve as verbatim English-language translations of the original subs. Learned that from several comical DR3 instances of "You perfect cinnamon roll" and "Kamakura Yas queen" Rolling Eyes

There is no such thing as a verbatim translation, of course. (That'd be transcription and would fall under cryptanalysis and not language studies.) Everyone I've met who thinks translation is simple word substitution has only ever known one language, and to them, I say to try learning at least fundamental things about another language to at least understand the concept that translation is highly inexact and can vary a lot between translators.

John Thacker wrote:
Then you get into the questions of whether you're translating for someone who can be expected to be familiar with some Japanese terms ("sensei" and "ninja" are almost certainly ok, but I've certainly seen shinobi -> "ninja" and tsunami -> "tidal wave," which seem excessive.

Again, as you mentioned, it depends on the audience. I think most Americans know what a tsunami is, but most Americans I know who aren't into anime and such don't know what a shinobi is. That is, the former has been thoroughly integrated into the English language, whereas the latter has not. My digital dictionary, for instance (New Oxford, 2015 edition) has an entry for "tsunami" but not for "shinobi," instead asking if I meant "shinbone."

Webster just recently added "senpai" though, so who knows?

John Thacker wrote:
If you're translating for a US audience, is it worth leaving something as "Hamburg steak," (which is less known in the US) or is the close more common in the US "Salisbury steak" ok? (Note that Japanese-style Hamburg steak is not quite the same thing as what is served by that name in Europe, being adapted for the Japanese palate?) What about false friends and words that have changed significantly in meaning since being adapted from English into Japanese; should "juice" be translated as such, or with a more generic drink term? Conversely, "spaghetti with meat sauce" will sound fine to American ears, while non North American English speakers may wonder why "Spaghetti Bolognese" wasn't used.

The English translation of One Piece uses simply "hamburger" without the steak for some reason, I'll say that, and I was confused for some time. I knew about hamburger steak, but the character simply called it a "hamburger" and took the form of a disk of beef he ate with his hands, and that didn't sound like any food I was familiar with.

As for spaghetti with meat sauce, I wonder if that's why most works just call it "spaghetti" and illustrate it with the sauce. The English translation of the StreetPass Mii Plaza sub-game Feed Mii calls it "Spaghetti Bolognese" in the American version, however. For that one, I looked it up as I had never seen that phrase before, even though I knew about all sorts of exotic foods from around the world and have had a lot of it too.

Clarste wrote:
Peppering the translations with unnecessary swearing can have its own problems, obviously, but I think arbitrarily keeping your dialog "clean" can be just as bad. To use an earlier example from this thread, if your grizzled warrior comes home to find his village on fire, he's not going to say "aw, shucks". Not hearing at least a "damn" or a "shit" would seem out of character and jarring. And ultimately the goal of translation is simply to make things seem as natural as possible to the audience.

You can make up for a lack of swears with creative dialogue. Shows like Scooby-Doo: Mysteries Incorporated, Avatar: The Last Airbender, Invader Zim, Courage the Cowardly Dog, Reboot, Samurai Jack, and Transformers Prime could get plenty dark and keep viewer engagement without using any swearing at all, and they were done through atmosphere, tone, and careful choice of words, or in some cases, no words at all.
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2016 10:19 am Reply with quote
leafy sea dragon wrote:
John Thacker wrote:
If you're translating for a US audience, is it worth leaving something as "Hamburg steak," (which is less known in the US) or is the close more common in the US "Salisbury steak" ok? (Note that Japanese-style Hamburg steak is not quite the same thing as what is served by that name in Europe, being adapted for the Japanese palate?)

The English translation of One Piece uses simply "hamburger" without the steak for some reason, I'll say that, and I was confused for some time. I knew about hamburger steak, but the character simply called it a "hamburger" and took the form of a disk of beef he ate with his hands, and that didn't sound like any food I was familiar with.

The word you would hear in anime for a patty on a plate is "hambaagu", which is often subtitled as "Salisbury Steak" (which means nothing to me), OTOH a patty in a bun from WacDonalds is "hambaaga". I'm going to go out on a limb and assume that the former is derived from "hamburg steak" and the latter from "hamburger".
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2016 11:22 pm Reply with quote
Well, the thing is that he didn't eat it on a plate. He picked it up with his right hand and took a bite out of it like as if it were the type of hamburger you'd eat in a bun.

Then again, it might HAVE actually been a hamburger patty and that he prefers to eat the patty by itself without anything else.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Page 5 of 5