• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Funimation Adds Nichijou, Scrapped Princess, The Betrayal Knows My Name Anime

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TheAncientOne

PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2016 12:48 pm Reply with quote
Kruszer wrote:
Many of their collaboration titles with Crunchyroll will probably end up being sub-only it seems. It's unfortunate.

If you mean the titles that CR itself had already announced prior to the partnership, all of those were announced as having a dub.

If you are referring to any future titles, that remains to be seen. I would expect Funimation to concentrate on CR titles they consider "dub worthy".
Covnam

PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2016 2:35 pm Reply with quote
Woot, Nichijou! I'll definitely be picking that one up. Glad to see Scrapped Princess rescued. I still have my DVDs and probably won't bother to upgrade to BD, but glad more people can get it easily now.
GhostReconSpart

PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2016 2:48 pm Reply with quote
Damn. No Nichijou dub...
BigOnAnime
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2016 3:19 pm Reply with quote
angelmcazares wrote:
manapear wrote:
Did Bandai previously hold the license for Star Driver? If so, hopefully Funimation can rescue it too and also get the movie brought over. x'D

Bandai Entertainment did indeed release Star Driver, but I don't think Funimation could rerelease it because the show belongs to Aniplex.
Pretty much, and because Aniplex USA doesn't care for catalog titles (See this for more), it's done for. They didn't even get the movie from a few years ago.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
R315r4z0r

PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2016 3:56 pm Reply with quote
Wait, have I been living under a rock... since when does FUNimation release sub-only stuff on home video?
getchman
He started it

PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2016 4:02 pm Reply with quote
R315r4z0r wrote:
Wait, have I been living under a rock... since when does FUNimation release sub-only stuff on home video?

since September 18th, 2013
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2016 4:23 pm Reply with quote
Nichijou is a great pick up. I already own the R4 version (thank you, Oz) but I'm glad North Americans who maybe don't have all-region capability will be able to own it, too.
Crisha

PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2016 5:23 pm Reply with quote
Covnam wrote:
Glad to see Scrapped Princess rescued. I still have my DVDs and probably won't bother to upgrade to BD, but glad more people can get it easily now.

Have you watched your DVDs at some point? As someone who usually isn't bothered by video imperfections (I either don't notice or am not bothered by banding or ghosting issues that other fans point out), even I felt the video quality of Bandai's DVDs were awful. I did end up watching the entire series through on the DVDs, but boy was it bad.

If the video quality doesn't bother you, then all the power to you! But if you had been planning at some point on watching the series on those DVDs in the future, then this is a forewarning. You may want to consider watching your DVDs to see if it is sufficient for your viewing pleasure; and, if not, then at least you have an upcoming option, even if it's just Funi's DVD (of course, wait until the reviews come out to make certain that Funi's is a visual improvement).

As long as the video is better (which I'm banking on since they're releasing it on bluray), then I'm definitely giving away my DVDs and replacing them with Funi's. Even if Funi was only releasing the show on DVD, I'd still replace my old ones.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Ouran High School Dropout

PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2016 5:40 pm Reply with quote
GiriOni wrote:
willag wrote:
YAAAY, Scrapped Princess! I already own the series, but the video quality is so awful that I've been hoping we'd get another release some day.

Ah man same here. Got that complete set of DVD's but the quality is so bad that I couldn't finish the series. (Was close)
Super happy about this. Very Happy That promo pic looks nice. Instant buy.

Never expected this license rescue! In my neck of the woods, I found Scrapped Princess to be under-appreciated and somewhat neglected. And as someone else said, I hope Wolf's Rain is next.
Oh...just popped in the DVD--Scrapped Princess does look pretty raw.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2016 6:43 pm Reply with quote
@ willag - I watched Scrapped Princess earlier this year and didn't notice any visual quality issues. I wonder if you got a bum set or something.
Punch Drunk Marc

PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2016 7:15 pm Reply with quote
GhostReconSpart wrote:
Damn. No Nichijou dub...

Personally I think Nichijou is funny enough where it doesn't need a dub. Also more than a few of the jokes are reliant on the japanese language as a whole, so a dub might not be able to use those jokes without them losing some of their spark.

Anyway this is just the news I needed after a long day at work. Beyond overjoyed that Funi picked up Nichijou. I've literally been waiting on the show to get licensed in the states since I saw it over a year or so ago. Easily one of the funniest shows I've ever seen.
belvadeer

PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2016 8:13 pm Reply with quote
Punch Drunk Marc wrote:
Personally I think Nichijou is funny enough where it doesn't need a dub. Also more than a few of the jokes are reliant on the japanese language as a whole, so a dub might not be able to use those jokes without them losing some of their spark.

Not necessarily. Funi could still implement the Japanese jokes, they would just have to change the wordplay to accommodate them in English (FLCL did this in some cases, such as in Episode 3 how "so da" sounds like "soda" but they used "juice" in the Japanese version, which wasn't a joke to begin with).
Agent355

PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2016 8:23 pm Reply with quote
manapear wrote:

I never realized The Betrayl Knows My Name had an anime though; I kind of want to give it a shot.

Me, either! I think my biggest surprise reading this announcement is that The Betrayal Knows My Name had an anime adaptation at all--I was aware of the manga, always meant to check it out--but somehow the fact that it had an anime adaptation totally passed me by, even though it was available on Crunchyroll at one point. There's been so many series coming out over the last decade, but I thought I was basically keeping track of most of their names.

I'm happy that they're re-releasing Scrapped Princess, hope it gets enough interest to convince someone (Yen On?) to reprint the novels.
wonderwomanhero

PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2016 8:54 pm Reply with quote
Scrapped Princess with Kari Wahlgren and Bridget Hoffman?! YES!!!!
FireballDragon

PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2016 9:39 pm Reply with quote
SnowyLightning44 wrote:
I'm so happy that the they've got the licence for Nichijou so I can finally watch it although it's a bit of a shame that the dub version isn't available but hopefully they'll eventually get that

Has Funimation ever added dubs to their licensed titles after initial release?

I hope they do with Nichijou. I REALLY do.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 5 of 8