• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Answerman - Why Isn't There Political Anime?

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Shay Guy

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2016 12:46 am Reply with quote
Stuart Smith wrote:
A good piece about politics would inform the viewer on a stance, both sides, and ultimately let them decide.

The hell with that. Show me your view. Make a point about something the audience is split on. Make an argument. Show me you understand the other guy and convince me anyway. Write a story with the theme of "X Considered Harmful", as long as it shows an actual understanding of X. If I'm going to criticize you, I want it to be for making a crappy argument, not for emotionally sterile, resonance-free, view-from-nowhere neutrality.
Paiprince

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2016 12:49 am Reply with quote
yuna49 wrote:
I've always been a bit surprised that the 1960's uprisings in Japan don't get some play in anime. There's a brief allusion to them in Sakamichi no Apollon, but that's about the only show I've seen that makes mention of that period. You'd think for a medium that targets adolescents and young adults that a show which portrays young people in the streets fighting for justice might have some resonance.

Young Black Jack had that as a political backdrop among other things that went on during the 60's like the Vietnam War.
NGK

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2016 2:47 am Reply with quote
BadNewsBlues wrote:
NGK wrote:

That's mostly under the cover of liberal smug-laced "political comedy".

This pretends as if the axe doesn't cut both ways.

Show me real funny conservative comedy and i'll show you a compendium of liberal comedians.

protip: you can't Laughing
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2016 3:31 am Reply with quote
^ Well it's not my fault Dennis Miller is the only conservative comedian I can think of.....and the fact he's so damn bland.
Lord Oink

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2016 4:46 am Reply with quote
NGK wrote:
Show me real funny conservative comedy and i'll show you a compendium of liberal comedians.

Comedian is usually a job that left leaning people persue. Righters are more likely to go into business or other practical fields. Probably for the best. It's really freaking scary how many people's main source of info for news and politics are comedians like Stephen Colbert and John Oliver.
John Thacker

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2016 1:52 pm Reply with quote
NGK wrote:
BadNewsBlues wrote:
NGK wrote:

That's mostly under the cover of liberal smug-laced "political comedy".

This pretends as if the axe doesn't cut both ways.

protip: you can't Laughing

Everything by Mike Judge is pretty conservative, some more than others. Yes Minister and Veep are fairly conservative. In the area of televised adaptations of written works, the comedic and satirical works of P. G. Wodehouse and Evelyn Waugh are conservative. The original Ghostbusters movie is quite conservative. Expand the list to more libertarian things, and there's South Park of course. A more nuanced debate could grapple with shows that feature beloved Wrong but Wromantic conservatives alongside Right but Repulsive liberals, such as All In the Family, The Simpsons, and Parks and Recreation (even arguably 30 Rock), all of whose writers mostly lean left. (While some would put Archer in this category, I would say that it's more complicated.)

Generally comedy that smoothly weaves occasional points works better than a show that wears its politics too much on its sleeve, at least in my opinion, but there are people on all sides who like things a bit on the nose.
DerekL1963
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2016 2:21 pm Reply with quote
John Thacker wrote:
Everything by Mike Judge is pretty conservative, some more than others.

King of the Hill is decidedly conservative, though most people don't recognize it as such because it's old-skool (pre-Reagan) conservatism rather than neo-con or alt-right.

Jeff Dunham leans pretty conservative is spots too, though he admits both to 'toning it down' and to tailoring his show to his audience. (A show in LA will be subtly different from a show in Texas.)
John Thacker

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2016 2:24 pm Reply with quote
DerekL1963 wrote:
Japan also doesn't celebrate adolescent excess or even tacitly encourage it they we do in the West (and especially in America). In a culture that's generally still quite conformist, adolescence and young adulthood aren't generally seen as times for exploration and finding oneself.

Ehh, I agree with the first part of your post, but I'm having a hard time seeing this, especially as regards anime. There's a decent number of anime that are about 青春 as a time for exploration and finding oneself, some extremely explicitly like Honey and Clover. I will agree that there's a fair number of shows and media that also stress the "it's time to grow up and take responsibility" angle as well. Then there's stuff like Yahari Ore no Seishun Love Comedy wa Machigatteiru (SNAFU) where the Holden Caulfield main character can be seen as positive by some people that watch it, or as making foolish mistakes and creating his own problems by mistrusting people, just as with Catcher in the Rye.

The "Japan is conformist" claim, even to the degree it has a point, can be easily overstated because society always contains people with varying views, and there are always artists with different views.
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2016 2:45 pm Reply with quote
writerpatrick wrote:
Hetalia comes to mind, although that deals more with international politics.

There is a sense of respect in Japan so stories about Japanese politicians could be seen as being disrespectful. And of course TV stations wouldn't want to get in trouble so they're less likely to air a political anime. In America they don't care about disrespecting their leaders.

Nope, it comes as part of the territory, and a necessary aspect of being a leader. Personally, any leader who cannot take criticism does not deserve to be a leader (and preferably, a leader should be able to create intelligent answers--the "tough questions," so to speak). But I think that's due to me living in a country where leaders are scrutinized and criticized, and the culture encourages that.

yuna49 wrote:
That doesn't mean there aren't politically-themed anime though. Two shows from Nakashima Kazuki, his screenplay for Imaishi Hiroyuki's Kill la Kill, and his stage play that was adapted by Mizushima Seiji into Oh! Edo Rocket, have explicitly political themes. Kill la Kill puts its cards on the table by opening with a classroom discussion about Nazism. Oh! Edo Rocket satirizes the hubris of a Shogunate that believes it can and should ban fireworks displays. Kawamori Shouji and Okada Mari's script for AKB0048 also harkens back to the Reforms, with galactic organizations intent on stopping young girls from singing and dancing before an audience.

Both installments of Nakamura Kenji's Gatchaman Crowds, but especially Insight, touch on similar themes. Insight presents a type of "soft" fascism where people cede their decision-making power to a friendly alien. The show is deeply concerned with the social and political effects of social media and instant communication.

Oh, that reminds me--Speed Grapher comes across to me as a criticism of class imbalance and distribution of wealth in Japan. That is, it seems to be warning to not let these elites have too much power, showing expicitly how they can create a culture that allows all lower income classes to get mercilessly bullied with no way out and that. It also took a thoroughly "Kill the wealthy!" opinion.

residentgrigo wrote:
@leafy Not comic related but sure, The Great Dictator is... great Cool . Even Donald Duck went to war: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kzH1iaKVsBM

Oh yeah, I definitely remember Super Obama. That was weird, but pretty funny.

As for the wartime Donald Duck shorts, by the time they were made, the United States had already gotten involved in World War II, which personally is a very different circumstance than prior.

John Thacker wrote:
The "Japan is conformist" claim, even to the degree it has a point, can be easily overstated because society always contains people with varying views, and there are always artists with different views.

There are such people everywhere. What I think are the bigger things to consider, however, are how tolerated dissenting opinion is, how the local culture expects people to behave, and how people in power deal with those with dissenting opinions, which would profoundly affect how open they are about those views. On the one hand, you have places like the present-day United States, where the word "yesman" is a derogatory term and where strikes and protests are so common the news mostly doesn't bother talking about them. On the other, you have places like Cambodia under Pol Pot, whose troops would execute, on the spot, anyone who even so much as wore eyeglasses.
DerekL1963
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2016 2:59 pm Reply with quote
John Thacker wrote:
DerekL1963 wrote:
Japan also doesn't celebrate adolescent excess or even tacitly encourage it they we do in the West (and especially in America). In a culture that's generally still quite conformist, adolescence and young adulthood aren't generally seen as times for exploration and finding oneself.

Ehh, I agree with the first part of your post, but I'm having a hard time seeing this, especially as regards anime. There's a decent number of anime that are about 青春 as a time for exploration and finding oneself

Keep in mind that many of these anime are aimed at an older audience - one looking back nostalgically. And even among those anime (that contain elements of exploration and finding oneself), the relentless drumbeat of studying, grades, and preparing for entrance exams (with dire warnings of the consequences of not being on top) is nearly always present. The message isn't so much "be yourself and find fulfillment of your choosing" as "have fun while you can, but don't forget your responsibilities".
zrnzle500

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2016 6:25 pm Reply with quote
While it isn't quite cute girls doing cute things, may I present an anime about idols as Diet members, premiering next season. I don't know or think it will get into real Japanese politics but nonetheless. I'm almost surprised that it wasn't brought up earlier but I had a heck of a time remembering the name myself.
chaccide

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2016 2:39 am Reply with quote
Hetalia is incredibly political.

Re Sanctuary, I have the feeling that it wasn't popular because it was a messed up release of the kind they only did back in the 90s. They used those stupid regular flipped comic book releases and recombined them in ways such that I couldn't figure out what to buy or read.

But I finally got a reading set, and anyone I show that set to now loves the story, be they fans of Western comics or manga. If someone were to do a real release of it today using today's standards I'd think it would do a lot better.

I thought the art fantastic and the characters aren't ugly, just not typical shounen designs. Which isn't surprising because it's seinen. But Western comic fans love that. The story was utterly gripping.
Snomaster1
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2016 12:19 pm Reply with quote
I kinda agree with Justin. There really isn't a market for political anime. Not only that,there isn't really a tradition of political satire in Japan like there is in places like the United States or Great Britain. We've made fun of politicians here for years. You rarely see stuff like that in Japan. I've seen real-life presidents show up in cartoons occasionally. I remember an episode of "Yogi's Treasure Hunt" in which a Reagan lookalike made an appearance. Politicians are frequently lampooned on "The Simpsons."
Remember the "Gintama" thing in which a Japanese politician was made fun of? If I remember correctly,the politician in question wasn't amused at the portrayal and threatened to sue the studio who made it, Needless to say,the studio got the message and never did it again. That's one of the reasons why you don't hear about Japanese versions of shows like "Saturday Night Live" or older shows like "Not Necessarily the News" or "Spitting Image" and that's because that sort of thing really isn't done in Japan. And,on a personal note,and I hope the mods don't get angry with me,but I'd love to see an American version of "Spitting Image." I saw some episodes when the series on American cable TV and as a special in the 80's. I hope that it's done someday. I'd love to see it.
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2016 9:52 pm Reply with quote
Snomaster1 wrote:
I kinda agree with Justin. There really isn't a market for political anime. Not only that,there isn't really a tradition of political satire in Japan like there is in places like the United States or Great Britain. We've made fun of politicians here for years. You rarely see stuff like that in Japan. I've seen real-life presidents show up in cartoons occasionally. I remember an episode of "Yogi's Treasure Hunt" in which a Reagan lookalike made an appearance. Politicians are frequently lampooned on "The Simpsons."
Remember the "Gintama" thing in which a Japanese politician was made fun of? If I remember correctly,the politician in question wasn't amused at the portrayal and threatened to sue the studio who made it, Needless to say,the studio got the message and never did it again. That's one of the reasons why you don't hear about Japanese versions of shows like "Saturday Night Live" or older shows like "Not Necessarily the News" or "Spitting Image" and that's because that sort of thing really isn't done in Japan. And,on a personal note,and I hope the mods don't get angry with me,but I'd love to see an American version of "Spitting Image." I saw some episodes when the series on American cable TV and as a special in the 80's. I hope that it's done someday. I'd love to see it.

Which reminds me: How well does the general mainstream in Japan understand their political process? Of the spots up for office, do they know where they stand in the hierarchy and what they're in charge of? Do they know what needs a majority, a supermajority, or just a plurality? If something passes X, where does it go, or is it ratified?

That you brought up Saturday Night Live reminds me of that sketch in the early 2000's, set in the US Senate where every vote is split 56 to 44, regardless of whatever it is. Clearly, the message here was extreme levels of party affiliation (to where it decides what toppings they want on their pizza--except for the lady who wants falafel), but it's an example of how the SNL writers assume their audience knows how the Senate works. And I think most of them do, due to the huge amount of media making fun of the US government.

But in a country where this sort of lampooning is rare and can get the network in trouble, is there the same level of general awareness?
yuna49

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2016 11:02 pm Reply with quote
leafy sea dragon wrote:
Which reminds me: How well does the general mainstream in Japan understand their political process? Of the spots up for office, do they know where they stand in the hierarchy and what they're in charge of? Do they know what needs a majority, a supermajority, or just a plurality? If something passes X, where does it go, or is it ratified?

It's a parliamentary system. People vote for parties, and measures get passed by the majority in the Diet. I doubt most people know more than that nor need to really. As I said earlier, despite having democratic institutions like elections and a legislature, Japanese politics tends to take place within the elite and among party factions. It took half-a-century before the Japanese threw out the LDP, only to discover that their successors were even less competent so they voted the LDP back in.

On the question of why young people in Japan pay so little attention to politics, I found this article rather informative. Perhaps one reason young Japanese don't pay attention to politicians is that Japanese politicians don't pay much attention to young people. With a rapidly-aging population, the global tendency for older people to vote at higher rates than younger people encourages politicians to pay more attention to issues like pensions and less to education and affordable housing. In addition, the malapportionment of Japanese parliamentary seats gives rural areas disproportionate power in making policy. Since younger Japanese are more likely to live in the cities, they are underrepresented by the workings of the electoral system.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 5 of 6