• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Answerman - Is My Sushi Authentic?

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
REL-84

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2017 8:27 am Reply with quote
leafy sea dragon wrote:
You'll get some hardcore chefs complaining that the ice crystals that will develop inside the salmon over those 96 hours, if not stored properly, will sap the moisture and texture right out of the fish, and the defrosting might provoke a lot of ire too.[...] Fish is quite a touchy topic among chefs, foodies, and food snobs though, and in more ways than just flavor vs. safety (though most will err towards safety as no one wants to be poisoned or diseased).

You're of course right about this. There's a reason people think of fresh fish when hearing sushi. Personally I'm the type to rather be safe than sorry, but maybe eating all that gravlax has numbed my appreciation of fresh salmon. Wink I just think that's how salmon is, unless eating it cooked of course. You are also right about farmed vs wild salmon. Fish in general is in high demand and we are pushing the fish populations too hard around the world and it's hard to farm fish in a sustainable way.

I read a Guardian article (I think it was) on the increasing problem of lice in salmon farms.This is apparently a big issue for the fish industry who are resorting to both physical and chemical ways to get the lice off the fish, When I read about it I was like Shocked I never heard this was going on, but apparently that part of how fish, like salmon, is farmed.
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2017 12:10 pm Reply with quote
REL-84 wrote:

You're of course right about this. There's a reason people think of fresh fish when hearing sushi. Personally I'm the type to rather be safe than sorry, but maybe eating all that gravlax has numbed my appreciation of fresh salmon. Wink I just think that's how salmon is, unless eating it cooked of course. You are also right about farmed vs wild salmon. Fish in general is in high demand and we are pushing the fish populations too hard around the world and it's hard to farm fish in a sustainable way.

I read a Guardian article (I think it was) on the increasing problem of lice in salmon farms.This is apparently a big issue for the fish industry who are resorting to both physical and chemical ways to get the lice off the fish, When I read about it I was like Shocked I never heard this was going on, but apparently that part of how fish, like salmon, is farmed.

Frankly, I wouldn't mind eating salmon that's been frozen either if it means I can avoid getting fish parasites inside of me, and it sounds like some people have found a way to preserve the taste and texture of salmon upon freezing it (which I assume is flash-freezing, which is so quick the ice crystals don't have time to grow and puncture the salmon meat). As for farming, the very point of it is to conserve wild populations so they don't get decimated by human harvesting. Problem is that farms that are improperly managed and built can do more harm to the nearby environment than it'd help the species they're farming (though regulations in North America and Europe means there aren't many of those unethical farms--the ones you have to watch out for are the Asian ones).

(And bringing up Alton Brown again, usually I agree with him, but one of his salmon episodes infuriated me as I was watching it because he asserted that the only reason you would buy farm-raised salmon is if wild-caught salmon is not available. He made zero mention of sustainability, suggesting he didn't care at all about it. Me, I'll eat lower-quality salmon if it means the people of tomorrow can eat salmon too.)

That's also the first I heard of a lice problem with salmon. Is that a new thing?
Joe Carpenter

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2017 6:50 pm Reply with quote
I'm very lucky to have a good sushi place where I live, yeah it's "Americanized" (and they do also serve ramen and beef/chicken bowls) but it's well done.

I don't know, I don't see the point in being such a stickler so long as it's good, the basic idea of sushi is fish and rice, right? Well there's many different variations you can do on that, some of which may be different than what you'd find in Japan but the basic idea is there.
REL-84

PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2017 9:19 am Reply with quote
[quote="leafy sea dragon"]
REL-84 wrote:
That's also the first I heard of a lice problem with salmon. Is that a new thing?

Sorry, for a bit of a late reply, but I'm not that knowledgeable. What I know is mostly stuff I read in news reporting. But the picture I got from there is that it is not new. But lice is more of a problem connected with warmer water and salmon farms are placed not that far out in the ocean. If they farmed the fish in the open ocean, and colder water, it wouldn't be as much of a problem. That's the gist of it. But it's also because the fish are cramped in such a small space that the lice of course pose a bigger problem than with wild populations. It's a "man made" problem in that regard and I guess the extent of the problem that this is becoming for salmon farmers is somewhat new.
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2017 5:07 pm Reply with quote
REL-84 wrote:
Sorry, for a bit of a late reply, but I'm not that knowledgeable. What I know is mostly stuff I read in news reporting. But the picture I got from there is that it is not new. But lice is more of a problem connected with warmer water and salmon farms are placed not that far out in the ocean. If they farmed the fish in the open ocean, and colder water, it wouldn't be as much of a problem. That's the gist of it. But it's also because the fish are cramped in such a small space that the lice of course pose a bigger problem than with wild populations. It's a "man made" problem in that regard and I guess the extent of the problem that this is becoming for salmon farmers is somewhat new.

All right, thanks for the response. I'd guess open-ocean fish farms would be way too expensive to maintain though.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Page 5 of 5