• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Food Wars! The Third Plate

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
myskaros

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2017 5:52 pm Reply with quote
GhostD wrote:
Ep 9

They skipped it. They bloody friggin skipped it and more unless they show it in the next ep or 2 but the impact may be weaker than if they had shown it when everything was set up for it to happen

I know, I ran to my bookshelf and flipped through the books to make sure it wasn't my imagination. But yep, they skipped it :/
Snakebit1995

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2017 7:25 pm Reply with quote
For those saying people are overracting about EP9 skipping a certain scene are just wrong.

Skipping that scene ends up creating a domino effect in which people will either be forced to act in ways that don't make sense or therefore act diferently and have great moments soiled.

By skipping this scene spoiler[ if Erina doesn't regain her confidence by learning about Soma she shouldn't want to leave the dorm, if she doesn't leave the dorm she won't go to see the fights at the arena and will miss Alice speech, weakening their reconciliation. ]

It just doesn't make any sense to skip that scene now, its not like in the past where they skipped the Preschool thing in the Shokugeki against Alice and did it as a brief flashback, That scene was mostly inconsequential, this scene is critical for about four characters actions and reactions after it.
myskaros

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2017 10:14 pm Reply with quote
@Snakebit1995: They can still course correct by doing the scene immediately following this shokugeki, it does mess up the part you have spoilered but that can be hand-waved without too much trouble, but you're correct that any later and it will severely affect the plot moving forward.

spoiler[I just really want to see how they do Souma answering the door to EVILFACE;
it was such a great moment in the manga since you go from Souma innocently saying "I'll get the door!," turn the page, then BOOM!]
GhostD

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2017 11:23 pm Reply with quote
And thats why I said that they can still pull it off in an ep or 2 but any later than that is gonna be hard cos theyre gonna practically shoehorn it somewhere. Worst case scenario is flashback

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2017 6:35 pm Reply with quote
If you Want TO Skip The Rant Go to The Third Season Eposide 9

Anime Onlies Read The Rant Or Skip TO THE Third Season

JC STAFF As Most Of Us Know As Manga Readers Has Ruined Some Important Scene In the Anime
First Season & Second Season

'JC' Rushed The Second Season Of Shokugeki No Soma To The Point That They Made the Staigaire Arc Which Was From Chapter "105" (Which Is When the Autumn Elections Final Runner-UPS Soma And Ryo Were Seeing Which Dish Was Second Place) To Chapter "117"(Which Is Where The Elite Ten OVA leads from it) Which Were "Episode 10" (AT Mid Episode) To "Episode 12"(Mid Episode Too) So "2 Episodes" Right "12 Chapters" Right
TWELVE CHAPTERS IN TWO EPISODES
As Was The Entirety Of Second Season
Putting '60+' Chapters from "57" to "117"
They Put Less Number NO OF Chapters In THE FIRST SEASON Which WAS 24 Episodes Okay Rolling Eyes Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

THIRD SEASON

Exclamation Exclamation Exclamation Exclamation Exclamation Exclamation Exclamation Exclamation Exclamation Exclamation Exclamation Exclamation Exclamation Exclamation Exclamation Exclamation Exclamation Exclamation Exclamation Exclamation Exclamation Exclamation Exclamation Exclamation Exclamation Exclamation Exclamation Exclamation Exclamation
Now To The Most Weird Season I Have Seen For Any Anime Before For A LONG TIME

First 5 Episodes Got Chapters From Chapter 121(Start Of Moon Banquet) To Chapter 133 (Azami's Arrival & The Director Getting Coped Out Off The School By Azami)

Then Hell Breaks Loose From THERE
Pacing Went From (2 TO 3) CHAPTERS AN EPISODE (*) To (4 TO 6) CHAPTERS AN EPOSIDE
(*) Like Boku No Hero Academia

From Episode 6 With Way Too Rushed Dialogue And Plot Points AND CHARACTER QUOTES WHICH ARE IMPORTANT NOW IN THEIR DEVELOPMENT
AND THEY THOUGHT Some FANSERVICE WOULD Be Better To Make An ENTIRE Minute On It Neutral Neutral Neutral Neutral

Episode 7 Had Forced Tension Because Episode 6 Was Rushed
So I Am Sure MOST Manga Readers Felt The Episode Not Being AS paced AS when You Read The Four Chapters Together Which Even Without THE ORIGINAL CONTENT Of Episode 6

Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

Episode 8 WAS NOT FUN AT ALL
I READ THE CHAPTERS OF IT 3 TIMES BEFORE WATCHING THE EPISODE And I WAS QUITE DISAPPOINTED IN THE ENTIRE EPISODE

BECAUSE
(1)Rindo Was Used As Just To MAKE LOOK SOMA GOOD
(2)Eizan Was Not As Sadistic Or Mad AS IN In The Manga
(3)Aldini Brothers And The Don Rs
(Them Appearing REMOVES ANY TENSION AT All in The Fight)
(What Fight Did Soma Lose In Front Of Non-Polar Star Residents) Done

Twisted Evil Twisted Evil Twisted Evil Twisted Evil EPISODE 9 Twisted Evil Twisted Evil Twisted Evil Twisted Evil Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad

Great Episode If It Was NOT WORSE THAN EPISODE 6
The Reveal Should Have Been After Erina Was Thinking OF The Dorm
If You Want The NAME It Should Be Known By "Episode 10" 's End
spoiler["Nakamura Azami" Told By Fumio (The Warden)]

NOW ____ MAJOOOOOOOOR ____ SPOILERS

spoiler[We Have Been Fooled
The REVEAL IS Eposide 10 And Everyone In The School WILL KNOW 70% Granted
First You Guys Made Me MORE Mad That I Did not Notice Something That Some May Have Noticed It Already
Did They Not Make Them 3 Halls Instead Of 4 Halls
Who Went
IN The Manga

A:Isami _Yuki_Fumio
B:Shun_Ryoko_Marui
C:Shogi_Daigo_Hisako
D:Soma_Megumi_Takumi

IN The Anime

A:Isami_Yuki+Shun_Ryoko+
B:Shogi_Daigo_Hisako+Marui+
C:Soma_Megumi_Takumi

Who Is Missing _____spoiler[Fumio]_____

Isshiki Would Be Taking Erina To See Ryo's Match Then Fumio Will Come With Them For A Reason Of Course It Would Be A Non Canon Reason
Remember The Talk Between Alice And Azami About Erina
Consider Fumio Talking To Azami
THEN HE TAlkS About Jouchiro Then The Reveal Happens Not Only IN Front Of The Nakiri Family Only
BUT IN FRONT OF THE .E.N.T.I.R.E. TOTSUKI .A.C.A.D.E.M.Y.

WHICH RUINS THE SCENE COMPLETLY
But It Could Mean That We May Return To 2 Episodes An Episode
So The Reveal Would Be On END OF Episode 11 (Chapter 150)
And The Entire Dialougue in Episode 12(Chapter 151)

DoneDoneDoneDoneDoneDoneDoneDoneDoneDoneDoneDoneDoneDoneDoneDone
]
[/spoiler]

Quote:
Quote:
Snakebit1995

By skipping this scenespoiler[ if Erina doesn't regain her confidence by learning about Soma she shouldn't want to leave the dorm, if she doesn't leave the dorm she won't go to see the fights at the arena and will miss Alice speech, weakening their reconciliation]. ]

That Is True But From What They Did In Episode 6/7/8/9
Do Not Raise Your Hopes That High To Think That They Would EVEN Care

spoiler[And IT WILL BE FUUNY WITH ALICE BEING THERE
Remember OVA 2
]
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2017 8:54 pm Reply with quote
::peeks in:: Are the manga readers done whinging yet? No? ::steps back out::
GhostD

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2017 10:47 pm Reply with quote
Wow someone's got a lot pent up....
GhostD

PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2017 2:31 pm Reply with quote
Ep 10

Return of the foodgasms although Im surprised they faithfully adapted it and they ended it in 1 ep without rushing it. Erina's rocking back and forth scene coupled with the music was adorable and soothing even though it only lasted 3 secs. Next ep is where things really start to get fun. The title gives it away
FilthyCasual

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2017 10:12 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Still, it's worth noting that both Megumi and Nono enjoy the dishes of their favorites' rival against their will.

Her name is Momo.

Also yeah, this was definitely an animation-conservative episode.
GhostD

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2017 11:36 pm Reply with quote
Man the Momo foodgasm garnered quite a bit of controversy online for...obvious reasons
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2017 1:09 am Reply with quote
Well, at least Isshiki didn't drop in on her naked as usual. Smile

I had a hard time imagining bacon-wrapped salmon being melt-in-your-mouth tender. The salmon, yes, but bacon, in my amateur cooking experience, only becomes more chewy as you cook it, until the fat is rendered out and it turns crispy. Even cooking it in water first at lower heat doesn't save it from being chewy - in fact it makes it more chewy (which is touted as a plus and why that method is recommended). It's essentially connective tissue, fat and some bits of muscle. It just doesn't lend itself to the sort of buttery tenderness shown in the anime.

And yeah, Momo's foodgasm was in poor taste.
GhostD

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2017 1:24 am Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:
And yeah, Momo's foodgasm was in poor taste.

Still though Japan, despite their strict laws about this kind of stuff as we saw with Watsuki a few weeks ago, still allowed it to air and the manga this scene was in to be printed for almost 2 years now in the US too. So I guess this is technically still legal albeit in the gray area especially when you consider a show like To-Love-Ru showing WAAAY more explicit content to a girl or 2 who fits Momo's physical description and has been doing so for several years now and it just ended this year.
MaskOfBrutality

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2017 7:46 am Reply with quote
Genuine question, why the foodgasm was 'uncomfortable'?

It looked fine to me given the standards set, bit more explicit that some but there was nothing wrong with it. Is it because third year Momo was one of the girls? She may be a loli (is that even the right term for her age?) but she's older than most characters in the series.
GhostD

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2017 7:59 am Reply with quote
MaskOfBrutality wrote:
Genuine question, why the foodgasm was 'uncomfortable'?

It looked fine to me given the standards set, bit more explicit that some but there was nothing wrong with it. Is it because third year Momo was one of the girls? She may be a loli (is that even the right term for her age?) but she's older than most characters in the series.

I can see where youre coming from and while it doesnt bother some like you, me and others, there are definitely a fair amount people who take offense to it. Hell they even go as far as to call out and bash on fans who were amused by that scene via disqus and they wont even accept that Momo is technically older than more than half the main cast as an excuse. I know this because I decided to check out a few pirate sites out of curiosity on how people would react since the majority of viewers converge in pirate sites and even into a debate/argument with one of them.
ryanvamp

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2017 3:17 pm Reply with quote
The moment I saw the return of the foodgasms, I KNEW the episode would get a lower score because of it. It might not have been the only reason, but clearly it was influential. Oh well, this is that kind of era after all. At first they went for Marvel Comics, now it's only natural to try to do the same with anime & manga.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 5 of 10