• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Hey, Answerman! [2007-01-05]

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mylene

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2007 5:33 pm Reply with quote
the_windcaster wrote:
I agree with Mylene about the Utena soundtracks... though while Seazer's duel choruses are certainly unique and I enjoy them alot, Shinkichi Mitsumune's background music for that show is simply amazing and wins out over any individual project that Kanno or Kajiura did in my eyes.

I'll admit, for the longest time I didn't realize that Seazer didn't do a lot of my favorite music on the soundtrack (my favorite stuff tends to be the background music, such as "She's So Refined," "Jump Up Beauty," "School Scarlet," and "Nemuro Memorial Hall" which I'm assuming Mitsumune did), I just didn't look very carefully when I was ripping it and assumed it was all Seazer. I need to get around to relabeling all of my tracks sometime in the very near future to make sure they reflect the correct composer. Both deserve immense props for the beauty of that soundtrack--even if it took several years before I found myself actually liking the dueling themes. Much like nori, it takes awhile to acquire a taste for them, or at least it did for me.

And as a few other people said...I didn't find the Solty Rei image to be anything beyond the pale. Looked pretty clear to me where she was (and wasn't looking) although the smaller image that was posted made it a bit more obvious what the issues were. I thought the shading was done well enough that it didn't seem at all like has been implied, and I do have a bit of a tendency to see such things where they aren't really.
shirokiryuu

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2007 5:51 pm Reply with quote
Haha, the AIr Gear skin annoyed me as well, but I just went to the "My ANN" section and changed it to the winter banner skin. Anime hyper Now I am satisfied

HitokiriShadow wrote:
The Japanese version is weekly, has 20 or so different series (one chapter per issue) and is at least twice the size of the U.S. version. I can't compare the non-manga content as I haven't read the Japanese version, but I don't think its much different in the sense that it is mostly just advertising.

Basically you're right, I actually own a japanese shounen jump (which I randomly bought at a japanese supermarket for 5 bucks) and here is the stuff I see inside:
( I think this was last years new years issue)

Ads for trading cards ( Bleach, Naruto, Dragon Ball Z, Yu-Gi-Oh GX)
Game Ads (Final Fantasy)
Live Action Prince of Tennis article/ad
Popularity contest?
DVD ads...
o_o an ad for weights and punching bags?
another o_o, an ad for male face treatments, teeth whitening, and eye curling?
More fitness ads?
Manga,
Omg, they have a article of different translations of manga. I can see american translated shounen jump titles here. o_o With fan art pages, and articles from the american shounen jump. (they do the same with various other countries)
One page articles of various manga-to-anime adaptions
Page of DVD release dates
Several pages of awesome merchandise
More video and tcg info
Previews for next issue
And basiclally the rest is manga with a few inserted advertisements

Last edited by shirokiryuu on Fri Jan 05, 2007 5:53 pm; edited 1 time in total
Josh7289

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2007 5:52 pm Reply with quote
hanachan01 wrote:
jgreen wrote:
Josh7289 wrote:
Man, I hate that freaking girl right to the left of this text box! WTF are you thinking, ANN?

That's a typo, right? I think you mean "WTF are you thinking, ADV?" I doubt ANN makes other companies' ads for them.

I think he's blaming ANN for putting the ad up.

Yeah. Couldn't they think about what they are putting up? Maybe send a reply to the email that contained the skin back to ADV saying it's not appropriate for their site? Seriously, I have to be careful where I am when I try to come here anymore, since some people would make a big deal out of something like this.
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2007 5:57 pm Reply with quote
Josh7289 wrote:

Yeah. Couldn't they think about what they are putting up? Maybe send a reply to the email that contained the skin back to ADV saying it's not appropriate for their site? Seriously, I have to be careful where I am when I try to come here anymore, since some people would make a big deal out of something like this.

Jesus, it's a pretty tame image. It's a standard anime girl. Why are you throwing such a hissy fit over this? I doubt anyone would sincerely find that offensive.

Obviously we do have decency standards but you're getting all worked up over nothing. Now stop derailing this thread with your complaints about the ads. Crikey.

Also:
animenewsnetwork.com/my/skin

one more time in case you didn't catch my drift

Last edited by Zac on Fri Jan 05, 2007 6:04 pm; edited 1 time in total
shirokiryuu

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2007 5:58 pm Reply with quote
Josh7289 wrote:
hanachan01 wrote:
jgreen wrote:
Josh7289 wrote:
Man, I hate that freaking girl right to the left of this text box! WTF are you thinking, ANN?

That's a typo, right? I think you mean "WTF are you thinking, ADV?" I doubt ANN makes other companies' ads for them.

I think he's blaming ANN for putting the ad up.

Well, ANN has to run somehow. I actually found the banners from websites like J-list and Anime Castle (?) more disturbing. Anime hyper But at least you can scroll down to block it.

As for Kanno vs. Kajiura, I like Kanno's music more, because for some reason to me it feels more "full" and engulfing. It might be the way the tracks are mixed. As for Kajiura, some of her songs I love, but a lot of them I skip, (the mostly synth battle music in particular). I watched noir, and while I found the piano pieces beautiful, the battle music I didn't enjoy as much.

Also I love Maaya Sakamoto's Nikopachi CD.
Keonyn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2007 6:03 pm Reply with quote
I really fail to see what's so inappropriate about it. It's just a typical anime female character with a pair of rollerblades. If it really offends you switch the skin to the standard, it takes all of 10 seconds, whoopdeedoo.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Strephon

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2007 6:30 pm Reply with quote
jgreen wrote:
Strephon wrote:

I seem to remember the editor of Animerica Extra saying that Clamp didn't want to see X serialized in translation, or some such.

Zuh? X/1999 was serialized in Animerica magazine for like 2 years.

Yup, but then they pulled it and started running it only in book form instead (before that was really standard policy for US publishers). If you look in the Encyclopedia, there's an announcement from 3/11/01 that it's being pulled temporarily, another announcement from 7/3/01 that it's being dropped from AX "due to protracted licencing problems," and a third announcement that it's coming back in book form from 3/19/02. I seem to remember that an AX editor responded to a request that it return in the magazine by saying that Clamp didn't want it there; I'll see if can find the exact quote tonight.
Henry Jones

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2007 6:32 pm Reply with quote
Key wrote:
I like both Kanno and Kajiura a lot. Though Kanno does have more variety in her sound, Kajiura has more of a signature sound, and it's one that really works for me. That's why I own more Kajiura OSTs than Kanno OSTs, and my current fave (Le Portrait de Petite Cossette) is a Kajiura work.

Really, though, both are tops in the field. Can't think of another Japanese composer who as consistently churns out quality work as those two.

That's pretty close to my thoughts. Kanno's a genius, no doubt it. If you told her, "Okay, I need a song made out of farting noises, screeching chalk, and sound clips from the American sitcom 'Full House,'' she could churn out something brilliant. Kajiura has a more limited palatte, but makes some very addicting and high energy tracks. You can definitely recognize one of her tracks in a blind listening, but it's like John Williams. If a complaint against a popular composer's work is "it sounds the same," it just generally means the person's not diggin' it. Sadly, this is more apparent with criticisms of Kajiura since she reuses certain samples on a regular basis and Bee Train or whoever's responsible for placing her music use much less of her music than what is available (Perhaps it's Kajiura herself. Who knows). Kajiura has Kouichi Mashimo instead of Steven Spielberg (Though, to be fair, film and anime series composing duties are generally much different). From what I've seen of Madlax (12 episodes), they've gotten better at using it, in my opinion. Tsubasa......... well, I'd have to stay awake for more than five minutes watching an episode to determine that.

If you want a great example of what Kajiura is capable of, check out the Xenosaga Episode III soundtrack. Her work on Episode II is good, not great, but just about everyone involved gave a half-hearted effort on Episode II. Episode III's music is honestly amazing both in its use in the game and listening to it on CD. It takes an occasionally over-melodramatic and sometimes laughable space opera and takes up a few levels by its presence alone. It may use a few themes over and over, but it's something like 6 or 7 themes, so it's not like "Sakura's Theme" in Episode II that makes up half the soundtrack. It's the first game soundtrack in a LONG tong I've taken the effort to import (Katamari Damacy is great, but most of the people I know who are into this stuff already own it, so I hear it enough). It's too bad the "Best Selection" leaves some great stuff out, though.

Back on track, Kanno and Kajiura join Joe Hisaishi as a trio of great anime composers I can't go wrong in listening to. Taku Iwasaki is tempting to put on there, but as great as his individual tracks are (Especially "Standing in That Sunset Glow" from "Now and Then, Here and There"), his soundtracks as a whole leave a bit to be desired. The soundtrack to R.O.D. NOT the TV is almost literally thirty minutes of the same song OVER AND OVER. I'm just saying, if you're going to slam Kajiura for repetition....
AuraShadow

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2007 6:48 pm Reply with quote
I honestly dont' get the Soltey Rei thing...but that's just me lol

As for the yuki/yoko thing. I personaly am a HUGE yuki fan (has or listened to almost everything she's ever done) This doesn't mean that I don't like Yoko Kanno, I adore her music as well and love listening to anything that she has done (was very suprised that she was the composer for the movie Kamikaze Girls) With her you can never tell it's her music until you look at the credits because her range is so diverse. Yes I relize Yuki's stuff that they all sound the same, but for some reason...I kinda don't care LOL Maybe it's because I have such an attachment to the .hack series (seeing the trailer for the final G.U. game made me burst into tears LOL not because it's sad, but because for me it was emotionaly overwhelling.) I have a strong bond to the series as well as the music, so whenevr I hear something of Yuki's I think of that as well. I also am attached to Madlax, Noir, and Peitie Cossette, simply because she has done the music. It's not the fact that it all sounds the same, but it's the fact that it has made such an impression on me that naturally I would pick her over Yoko Kanno. Call me crazy, but that's my side and I'm sticking to it. (This also applies to Fiction Junction Yuuka, Asuka, and Kaori, and See-Saw)

Last edited by AuraShadow on Fri Jan 05, 2007 7:02 pm; edited 1 time in total
Josh7289

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2007 6:52 pm Reply with quote
Zac wrote:
Josh7289 wrote:

Jesus, it's a pretty tame image. It's a standard anime girl. Why are you throwing such a hissy fit over this? I doubt anyone would sincerely find that offensive.

Obviously we do have decency standards but you're getting all worked up over nothing. Now stop derailing this thread with your complaints about the ads. Crikey.

Also:

one more time in case you didn't catch my drift

Hey Zac, I didn't realize it was you at first because of your new avatar! And...I never noticed Executive Editor before...anyway...

It's not that the image offends me, but it's just that anybody who saw me on this site with that image on it would obviously get suspicious. I just don't want to deal with that. It's simply annoying, you know?

Oh, and if I'm not logged in or I don't have any cookies for this site, simply changing in that menu isn't going to work, now is it?
Strephon

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2007 6:53 pm Reply with quote
By the way, I have to cry foul on one overgeneralization made in the rant:

Quote:
...articles about fashion and make-up invaded spaces previously filled by history notes and cultural facts.

If you take this at face value, it sounds like the magazine used to be "National Geographic" and turned into "Cosmo," and that's not the case. Fashion has been in the magazine from the beginning. The latest issue still has a Japanese cultural page (on a festival that's relevant to the latest installment of "Baby & Me"--without "Kaze Hikaru" there isn't as much need to run articles on the Shinsengumi, now is there?), there's another article on how to relate to the older generation (which I will grant you isn't exactly rocket science, but it's the sort of article they've been running all along and it's not stereotypically female), plus assorted other articles that have nothing to do with fashion or boys at all. Yes, there are more articles on fashion than there were a year ago, but the magazine is also 50 pages longer than it was a year ago.

I'm not saying that there hasn't been a shift in editorial content--but the difference isn't night and day, it's more like night and twilight. I realize that it's the nature of rants to be one-sided, but one could draw the impression that the cultural material is gone altogether, and that's not the case.
icepick314

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2007 7:14 pm Reply with quote
oh god...the dude on the right sorta looked like me on a bad day...scared me for a sec....

and i sorta do get but also don't get joke on the Solty Rei cover either....i think yall are digging too hard on that one....maybe from watching too many kiddie hentai like those folks in the pic....

Royal Devil wrote:
Quote:
That picture of those anime fans surrounded by moe merchandise, hugging those creepy body pillows... those guys set themselves up for ridicule by taking that photo in the first place. I mean, it's a Japanese photo, so who knows - maybe they're considered heroes among otaku there, but here? That stuff doesn't fly. Even the anime community here will make fun of you for stuff like that.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v136/levito/Forum/losers.jpg

That one gets me everytime. Laughing
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
britannicamoore

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2007 7:27 pm Reply with quote
sabriyahm wrote:
penguintruth wrote:
britannicamoore wrote:

Quote:
Yuki Kajiura or Yoko Kanno?!?

am I the only one here who doesn't know who either of these two are? The second name looks kind of familiar...Ghost in the Shell I think? I'll have to wiki both of these gals...

1) Yes, you are the only one who doesn't know - they're two of the biggest composers of anime musical scores.

Nope I had never heard of either and I am an anime fan veteran. I just don't pay attention to composers much, though having looked them up I now know I have heard them a lot. I am somewhat amazed that this would be such a debate in anime fandom though. Musical taste is way too subjective to debate.

I figured I wasn't alone. And yes when I looked them up I saw that they'd been in a lot of the shows i've seen.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
P€|\||§_|\/|ast@

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2007 8:17 pm Reply with quote
Hey you know in some anime and occasionally an avante garde film you'll see a person's face superimposed next to and slightly overlapping over another person's face so you know that they are actually facing each other but the director wants to show both faces at the same time? Well if you imagine that the Solty Rei cover image is like that then you can imagine that the girl is actually being covered up by the guy's coat flaps. That's why when I saw the thumbnail of that picture in the Funimation ad, I thought exactly the same thing as Zac did (how it's kind of perverted looking and all) Anime hyper I don't know maybe that's just my own twisted perspective Laughing

Also I don't know if the original Japanese box or cover art used that image, but it is one that'll definitely help the title sell better in the US.
Hotaruzuki

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2007 8:41 pm Reply with quote
Shojo Beat.......You know , i stopped buying those because it would cost me less to buy them in book version(since i dint care for several of them).........

I dont like the fact that they are trying to market it as a teeny bobber mag when the suggested age for it is "older teen" anyways. The only thing i find useful in the fashion articles is that it provides something interesting for people in my pictures to wear ( both anime/manga and traditional or whatever). THey made a big mistake by taking out Godchild though i do love Vampire Knight ~! Backstage Prince is ok, i guess......

Really, just stop buying the mag if you dont like it and glare at it angirly in the bookstore.

II kinda wish that they would swich the serialised manga with the manga they just publish in book form and get rid of all the pink and frills. Then i remember that they are going to be coming out with Arina Tanemura's Shinshi Doumei cross soon and change my mind. I would rather read an Arina manga alltogether in bookform anyways.

um, about the girl to the left.......its not really that big of a deal though,i dont care for it either......You can find worse things in newtype but i still buy it....actually the first thing i thought when i looked at was how someone could possibly get into that positon in mid-air. (just the way the arms are positoned anyways) It looks kinda stupid to me actually, though under her looks cute. (WOW that sounded weird!). theyre just being fanservice-ey . Happens all the time in anime and manga, nothing to get so freaked out about. Just dont look at it.

By the way, the Sailor Moon books they published were made by an american..........I still have them in my closet........I have a love-hate relationship with them.......ah~ the woes of a 14-year-old Otaku! Smile

Last edited by Hotaruzuki on Fri Jan 05, 2007 8:57 pm; edited 1 time in total
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 5 of 7