• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Hey, Answerman! [2007-02-16]

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
pat_payne

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2007 10:38 am Reply with quote
I just want to take that "luna wishcatcher starbright", smack her around, tell her to drop the "you're a Nazi because you took us to task for being pathetic losers" and then smack her around again. I mean it. I am getting sick of people dropping the word "Nazi" for those whom they disagree with. Do these losers even know what Hitler and the Nazis were actually about?!? What they did?!? How utterly offensive and obscene it must be to those who actually survived that hell?!? How dare they call Zac a "Nazi" merely for telling them that the Emperor has no clothes?

*takes a deep breath and a handful of prozac*

Anyway, I did want to mention, in a bit calmer voice, a bit more about this "Otakukin" nonsense. For the most part, they seem harmless (I mean, Patton believed himself to be the reincarnation of a Roman legionary and when he and Bradley passed by an ancient battlefield in Italy, described how he believed he was there), but on the other hand, it is creepy. These are the people for whom fantasy and reality have no border. I play D&D (as I'm sure many on this forum do), but I don't go around with a broadsword and chain mail believing that I'm Ragnar the Smelly, scourge of the Flanaess. If they want to believe that nonsense, fine. The problem is, sooner or later one of these people is gonna get hurt. I don't want to see one of these morons going up to a bruiser and picking a fight because they think that they can perform a Ryuuken or the Hiten Mitsurugi Ryu or some such thing and getting themselves creamed or killed. And I REALLY don't want some sort of Bink Pulling "fantasy v. reality" thing coming out of it, where the poor deceased's parents blame it all on anime so they don't have to look at their own parenting in absentia.

As for the person who wrote in about voice acting, I think Zac is right with a small proviso -- it's probably not a completely closed system. If you have acting ability, you might do well to get an acting resume going through work in the theater, and try to get your name noticed that way. If you're good enough, and in the right place at the right time, you may get there. Remember Noriko Takaya -- "Hard Work and Guts!!" Very Happy
Eos

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2007 10:39 am Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:
As for the otakukin folk - I still refuse to believe there are people that delusionally stupid in the world. I'm just going to pretend the whole thing (including the LJ community) is a joke. (Now who's delusional?) I need to in order to live in this world.

You'd be surprised with the stuff on LJ. I had a friend forward me to a community of Disney princess/Tinkerbell fans that were having a rather vicious fight over Ariel (and using very unprincess-like language). Many of them are older than 25 and center their lives around internet communities dedicated to children's cartoons/lit. Scary stuff. It doesn't surprise me at all that otakukin exist (but still disturbs me).

Abarenbo Shogun wrote:
SoloButterfly wrote:

*cough* Anyway, I'm surprised that there are communities for the Otakukin. (hurray new vocabulary word!). I worry that they will now be attacked violently.

Don't give the /i/nsurgents at 7chan any ideas now.....

I was thinking more along the lines of the 4chan /b/tards, they are many and can be ruthless. Though that campaign against the NJ neo nazi was pretty funny...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Keonyn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2007 10:42 am Reply with quote
Steroid wrote:
I weep for the fact that so many people feel a need to spit on anyone who defines their life around something other than what you do. As far as I can see, the only differences between these o-kin and some of the established religions are:

-The o-kins' sacred texts are newer and not exactly text.
-There are fewer of them.
-Instead of making the rank and file folks subservient to higher powers, they are possessed of them.

I know you go out of your way to find the opposing viewpoint in every topic, frankly at this point I must admit that it would seem that is your sole intention here.

At any rate, none of that applies because in this "religion" they are claiming tangible powers which can be demonstrated and proven. They are claiming they have something right here and right now and that's a claim that can be demonstrated as true or false, case closed. If they can't demonstrate it then it's false, that's all there is to it. They either do or do not have it, there is no believing they do because they are not stating a belief, they are making a claim.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
MadLibrarian

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2007 10:45 am Reply with quote
I think cliche often gets confused with genre. All anime genres have "rules" that the plot must follow, just like a mystery novel does. What makes genres fun is how well the creator can play with those rules to make something new and interesting. If somebody really wanted to he or she could make a great new harem show. Likewise, you can come up with the most out-there orginal plot ever, but if the main character is a spunky kid out to avenge his brothers death, you might end up guilty of cliche.

Anyway, hey Zax, love the kittens and "each other" is always two words.
millstoner

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2007 10:55 am Reply with quote
So todays rant was about the cliche of how reviewers review cliches?
ZeroRyoko1974

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2007 11:03 am Reply with quote
wow, just wow. After reading todays answerman my head litterly hurts (in a non imaginitive, I am going to take some aspirin kind of way). Words can't put to life how delusional those people are. Confused Shocked I have to say that 4chan is a step up in intelligence from that crowd. I guess they need to rewrite the hierarchy of geekdom for the class of people who actually believe they are a vampire/anime character/animal/whatever. This reminded me of a clip from Reno911 where they encounter LARP D&D people. Its quite hilarous...

http://www.poetv.com/video.php?vid=216
pat_payne

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2007 11:16 am Reply with quote
Keonyn wrote:

At any rate, none of that applies because in this "religion" they are claiming tangible powers which can be demonstrated and proven. They are claiming they have something right here and right now and that's a claim that can be demonstrated as true or false, case closed. If they can't demonstrate it then it's false, that's all there is to it. They either do or do not have it, there is no believing they do because they are not stating a belief, they are making a claim.

Far be it from me to actually stick up for Mr. "I don't mind if (obscenity redacted because I can't bear to repeat it) so that my personal free speech rights are secure", but while you're right on one score, Keonyn, that we can empirically prove that these "Otakukin" can't perform any of those powers, belief doesn't require proof. It is said that proof is at times enimical to faith (I wish I had the quote to hand, but cest' la vie), for if you could completely quantify God (or the gods or what have you) there is no reason to have faith, as you'd know. In short, it is the not knowing that builds faith in a belief. And threy be;lieve they can do it, just as a person who believes he's Superman will jump off a building to demonstrate it. It makes them delusional, and puts them in danger, but doesn't erase the fact that they believe their own claims. Who knows? maybe in their fevered brains, they see those "fox auras".

That being said, these people are still NVTS and ought to seek help now.
DemonEyesLeo

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2007 11:23 am Reply with quote
The banner's not loading for me, this is the second week it hasn't.

@the flake and the Otakukin:
I weep for humanity. But let's let these "-kin" be and soon it will die out with natural selection.
blind_assassin

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2007 11:44 am Reply with quote
I would say that the DBZ franchise has fairly recently managed to crack that "mediocre" glass ceiling that has plagued anime games since they've been being released. Budokai 3 and Tenkaichi 2 are both well within the real of good or even very good. Mind you that this accomplishment can easily be buried by the level of failed anime games or even by the number of good anime-style-but-not-based games (like Disgaea and many Tales games). But I'd say that this means that anime (and even movie games) are starting to get on the right track. Movie games have gone from being disgraceful filth that isn't fit to come into contact with humans to not worth playing unless you're a fan and anime games are slowly managing to appeal to people who aren't hardcore fans of the show (if in a limited capacity thus far for most titles).
d.yaro

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2007 11:46 am Reply with quote
Very nice banner... but it loaded just a bit faster than molasses running uphill on a cold winter's night. Must be a heck of a lot of traffic out there because I'm sitting on a DSL connection.
Richard J.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2007 11:51 am Reply with quote
pat_payne wrote:
I just want to take that "luna wishcatcher starbright", smack her around, tell her to drop the "you're a Nazi because you took us to task for being pathetic losers" and then smack her around again. I mean it. I am getting sick of people dropping the word "Nazi" for those whom they disagree with. Do these losers even know what Hitler and the Nazis were actually about?!? What they did?!? How utterly offensive and obscene it must be to those who actually survived that hell?!? How dare they call Zac a "Nazi" merely for telling them that the Emperor has no clothes?
Whole heartedly agree with this statement. Calling someone a "Nazi" has become a catch-all insult. Don't like a person's political opinons? They're a Nazi! Upset that the police stopped you for speeding? They're Nazis! The guy at McDonalds screwed up your order? He's a Nazi!

I've heard so many different people using the word Nazi for every little thing that it's lost all impact.

pat_payne wrote:
For the most part, they seem harmless (I mean, Patton believed himself to be the reincarnation of a Roman legionary and when he and Bradley passed by an ancient battlefield in Italy, described how he believed he was there)
Personally, I find Patton's beliefs considerably easier to take seriously. There's not really a big leap from believing in an imortal soul to believing that an imortal soul occasionally comes back in a new body. If the soul is form of energy then science would even be on your side.

Plus, Patton didn't think he was one of the great Roman generals, just a regular soldier.

Believing you're the reincarnation of someone that never even existed in this reality in the first place. . . that's a huge leap. First, you have to believe that a fictional world exists somewhere. (If you are to believe all the other people making such claims, then you have to believe that a lot of fictional worlds really exist.) Now, you've got believe you are a fictional character. On top of all that, it seems like all of these people want to believe they were the top level people from those ficitional worlds.

On the subject of reviews and overuse of the word cliche: My only thought is that there should be a rule that reviewers are no longer allowed to talk about EVA when reviewing a mecha series that's serious. Every single mecha series review that I have read has some mention of EVA in it somewhere. Either it's "trying to be EVA" or it's "not as good as EVA" and I'm kinda sick of hearing about EVA every time I read a review for a mecha series.
HeeroTX

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2007 11:55 am Reply with quote
WAY too many comments on "-kin" for my tastes. Razz

I came to talk about the rant and I'd like to point out that THAT is why reviews are useless for choosing anime. To explain, I think the absolute BEST way to run a review colum is to do (kinda) like Animerica or some other magazine (maybe PA did it) did. Get several reviewers who each LIKE SOMETHING DIFFERENT and have a "base" overview and then have each reviewer comment.

The problem with this is that many sites don't have the staff for a single reviewer, let along 4-5. But the problem with only one reviewer is that that viewer has certain tastes, and even if they're trying to be unbiased, if they didn't like something that is "best of show" for a genre, they CERTAINLY won't like "iteration #8" of that same genre. If you hated Tenchi Muyo (the original OVAs) because even when it was kinda "new" it was "loser guy for some unexplainable reason has 5 girls all over him", then Love Hina sin't gonna do it for you. OTOH, if you LIKED Tenchi, you may appreciate the new character designs or the change of setting or the other subtle changes on the theme.

That's the problem with the "cliche" tag, if you agree with the reviewer and hate that particular type, then you'll just nod and agree "yeah, those shows suck". But if you LIKE those shows, but acknowledge that SOME of them are bad, you've gained nothing from this review.

Anyone who can just blanket review a show with something like "cliched, its all been done before" should be tossed as a reviewer. These people are the equivalent of "What anime should I watch?" and their immediate answer is (my favorite title), because it is AWESOME. The response a good reviewer should always ask that question is "well, what do YOU like?" at which point you can critically explain good titles to that person based upon their tastes. "Oh/Ah My Goddess" is MY personal favorite anime of all time, but I understand that it is NOT for everyone and I know many people who pretty much hate it. I DON'T like "Cowboy Bebop" (blasphemy, I know) and am not over fond of several of Miyazaki's movies. This is why a GREAT review system would have a reviewer who LIKES a given sect of material as well as reviewers who may not appreciate it. If all (or even most) reviewers agree, then the show is OBVIOUSLY a quality work that no doubt transcends the genre. If only the one reviewer likes it, then fans of the genre might enjoy it, and others can and probably should, take a pass. If all reviewers hate it, then it no doubt sucks and isn't worth watching.

But again, that's porbably just an "ideal" in my head that several groups simply don't have the resources to set up.
Kouji

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2007 11:55 am Reply with quote
Steroid wrote:
I weep for the fact that so many people feel a need to spit on anyone who defines their life around something other than what you do. As far as I can see, the only differences between these o-kin and some of the established religions are:

-The o-kins' sacred texts are newer and not exactly text.
-There are fewer of them.
-Instead of making the rank and file folks subservient to higher powers, they are possessed of them.
I can't believe you're actually trying to compare someone's belief in a religion to a bunch of geeky kids with no life pretending to be anime characters. That's almost as bad and insulting as the flake of the week comparing Zac making fun of the otakukin to the holocaust. The difference between these brats claiming to be anime characters and religion is that it is impossible to prove the existence of God whereas it is possible to prove that these anime characters are fictional because there's a little thing called a manga artist. Also, people who believe in a religion do not always claim that they can prove the existence of God. They merely choose to believe in it. But these otakukin are not merely just believing they are fictional children's cartoon characters. They are claiming that they can prove they are real yet have done nothing to prove it despite their claims. And if these brats really were anime characters in their previous life, why aren't they sueing the manga artist for plagiarism? As for good anime adaptations of video games, what about Air TV and Digimon?
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
TestamentSaki

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2007 12:02 pm Reply with quote
Wow. I knew the Flake would be worth it... And I thought that fangirls were annoying -___-U. Otakukin and rabid fangirls are the epitome of idiocy now... And that kitten pic was cute (but nowhere as cute as the pic I placed last time Anime hyper)
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
Omega13

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2007 12:22 pm Reply with quote
I know this is mostly my own experience, but regarding anime reviews, I'd really like it if more reviewers focused at least a section (AnimeOnDVD is good about this, having Video and Audio review segments) on technical aspects of the show, mainly video/audio transfer and subtitle spelling/grammar quality (not translation accuracy). In almost all cases, if I am seriously considering buying a DVD, I've already seen all or most of the series and know what I think about it. I couldn't care less what the reviewer thinks of the content of the series itself because I've formed my own opinions by that point, and for my own purchases, those are the only ones that matter. Instead, I'm looking for information on how the DVD was authored, if misspelling/grammatical errors are abundant (since that's how I'm planning on watching the DVD), and the like. Sadly, this kind of information is generally lacking, at least if such issues are considered 'minor'. For example, I searched multiple reviews for mention on whether a brief video pause/hiccup in episode 1 of Bakuretsu Tenshi that I experienced was a general issue, or perhaps a problem with just my copy (which would determine whether I try to exchange my copy or keep it since all copies would have the same issue) and found nothing. For one thing, these are professional companies authoring, subtitling, and releasing these DVDs; no technical issue nowadays (unless it existed in the original master) is 'minor'. That is not to say that I'm going to bitch and moan every time I see a single pixel misplaced or one misspelled word in 26 episodes, but it isn't unreasonable to expect the company's QA department to catch and have these corrected before release and have as flawless a watching experience as humanly possible. Note: this does not include translation accuracy - it is inherently impossible due to the nature and structure of different languages to have a single, authoritative translation from sentence 1 in language A to sentence 1 in language B.

Anyway, more focus on technical points in anime reviews would be a good thing.

Last edited by Omega13 on Fri Feb 16, 2007 12:26 pm; edited 1 time in total
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 5 of 29