• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Tokyopop Gauges Interest in Limited Hetalia #3 Release

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sunday Silence

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2011 3:26 pm Reply with quote
A little off topic:

TOKYOPOP items in storage.

I seriously hope Stu defaults on the storage bills and the unit ends up on Storage Wars. That would be so priceless.
Jaymie

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2011 4:10 pm Reply with quote
The fact that Hetalia fans are so impressionable makes me sad. Stu is obviously going to whip that cash cow for every last drop.

He makes it seem like he's "rescuing" Hetalia when, in reality, he's the one holding it hostage. A company like Yen Press would give Hetalia a wonderful release with thick, glossy, non-blurry pages. There would be no shortages because Yen Press isn't dead like Tokyopop. There would be no fear of no new volumes coming out because Yen Press isn't dead like Tokyopop. Yen Press also has their digital magazine, which would be perfect for Hetalia.

Hetalia is so perfect for Yen Press that these Facebook posts makes me hate Stu even more than I already did (which was unfathomable). His luxurious lifestyle is on its last legs, so he's going back to status quo (manipulating passionate fans and sitting on copyrights he can do nothing with) to keep it.
asimpson2006

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2011 5:24 pm Reply with quote
I never hated Stu Levy and I still do not. I think people are making a too big of a deal about this. So what if he wants to release the 3rd volume? Let him do it. If people want to buy it so what? Let them buy it. Obviously there are fans who want to purchase the rest of the manga. Me? Well I did not like the first volume so I in the process of getting rid of it.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Sheleigha

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2011 5:52 pm Reply with quote
asimpson2006 wrote:
I never hated Stu Levy and I still do not. I think people are making a too big of a deal about this. So what if he wants to release the 3rd volume? Let him do it. If people want to buy it so what? Let them buy it. Obviously there are fans who want to purchase the rest of the manga. Me? Well I did not like the first volume so I in the process of getting rid of it.

Did you not read some of the articles posted? The more I read, the more angry I get. Like the one where he, the CEO of the company, does not even care about his own product and proudly makes comments about it on Twitter? Who does that?? It's just... hard to like a company when the CEO cares little to nothing about its fans. Like the whole Sailor Moon changing magazines without him letting ANYONE know. I mean, I know of many "evil coperations", but this one... has to be one of the worst :/

It's just... a guy that likes to speak his mind (and not exactly in a positive light all the time...), speaks too much, and changed his mind frequently. There's a chance Hetalia might not even get published again and he just got everyone's hopes up for no reason. Like, if he found out there was a better project to work on.

The thing is I would want to buy the Hetalia manga to support the creators, but I don't want to support Stu. When you bought alot of a company's products, just to find out they are almost laughing at your face in Twitter comments (calling it a "dying industry" blah blah blah) just... makes you mad... Although I don't reget having supported english manga in North America, or supporting the mangaka, or supporting the jobs of the actual people who worked on the TP titles (who then got laid off...), with Tokyopop purchauses I'm glad I did that.

Last edited by Sheleigha on Sun Sep 11, 2011 6:35 pm; edited 1 time in total
Sunday Silence

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2011 6:14 pm Reply with quote
asimpson2006 wrote:
I never hated Stu Levy and I still do not. I think people are making a too big of a deal about this.

The problem is that Stu Levy has burned so many bridges in the Manga and Anime Fandom it makes Al Kahn look like a frelling saint. Kahn might've been abasive about anime his company "adapted," but at least his damage was limited a/or were semi-reversible. Stu on the other hand has done so much things that has pissed off folks that i'm still surprised people still like him.
yotsubafanfan

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2011 8:28 pm Reply with quote
Seriously? A limited Release? It better be the same as the Japanese one in which the limited book is Pink and has more stuff and the normal one is blue or else I'm gonna be mad! I love Hetalia and I hope they give it to a company that will take good care of it and stay true to the Japanese transilation ( Perhaps either VIZ or Yenpress would do a good job at it.)
Sunday Silence

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2011 8:40 pm Reply with quote
Jaymie wrote:
The fact that Hetalia fans are so impressionable makes me sad.

The fact that many Hetalia fans are bats*** insane is shocking. I've seen some stupid s*** that some Hetalia fans have done, including desecrating a war memorial with their cosplays.

Quote:
Stu is obviously going to whip that cash cow for every last drop.

One has to wonder why the companies involved with TOKYOPOP until the end don't just break the contracts and send their properties elsewhere. It's clear from several photos on TP's facebook page that TP has no physical presence (unless you count the Storage Facility Unit a "presence"). Unless i'm amiss of some obscure California law that allows a company to exist only on paper.
Dragynstorm

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2011 9:05 pm Reply with quote
st_owly wrote:
My comment on the post:
Just sod off. You've screwed us all over once already. Do the decent thing and let another publisher pick Hetalia up rather than trying to exploit the fans who supported you, just to fund your next stupid whim. The Priest movie and Princess Ai were terrible. If you really cared about the fans you'd finish all the series that had just 1 volume left, rather than milking the love of Hetalia fans. Oh wait, they're a more secure source of $$. How long before you get bored of this idea, too? People, please don't be stupid enough to trust this company again. They dumped you once, they won't hesitate to do it again. 

I love this response. Absolutely love it, and agree with every bit of it.
bglassbrook

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2011 1:30 am Reply with quote
Sunday Silence wrote:
Unless i'm amiss of some obscure California law that allows a company to exist only on paper.

Actually, thats the only place they are required to exist... not counting the States' paperless initiatives.
st_owly wrote:
My comment on the post:
Just sod off. You've screwed us all over once already. Do the decent thing

...aaaaand that's where you lost him.
Quote:
But if the model can be proven, perhaps other rights owners will let other titles be released as well.

Hopefully, by other publishers.
tuxedocat

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2011 2:27 am Reply with quote
Just today I was wondering why any Japanese partner would want to license anything to him at this point. The man has virtually no infrastructure. Except for a storage space, he has liquidated everything.

I think the fans need to direct their letters to the Japanese publishers, and urge them to move the license as far away from Stu as possible and to another company. One that actually exists and has some sort of physical infrastructure.
Sunday Silence

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2011 6:10 am Reply with quote
tuxedocat wrote:
I think the fans need to direct their letters to the Japanese publishers, and urge them to move the license as far away from Stu as possible and to another company. One that actually exists and has some sort of physical infrastructure.

Mailing Address? Twitter accounts? Websites?
Genet

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2011 7:37 am Reply with quote
Sunday Silence wrote:
tuxedocat wrote:

Mailing Address? Twitter accounts? Websites?

http://www.gentosha.co.jp/ir/contactus.php

They have a physical mailing address, at the top of the page. They also have an e-mail address that you can contact them at with questions/thoughts about their books. (comment (at) gentosha (dot co dot jp) )

I dunno how likely it would be to get a reply from them, especially if someone can't proficiently write Japanese, but I figure that problem can be solved providing there's someone on here with enough knowledge of writing the language. I'm only useful at reading it, lol.

I'm sure hidekaz has a twitter/blog, too, but I dunno what good it would do to contact him. Ah well.

Here's where you can send him an e-mail:

https://www.gentosha-comics.net/himaruya/form_mail/
st_owly

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2011 5:42 am Reply with quote
I suspect Himaruya probably knows a bit of English, given that he spent time in New York.
Genet

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2011 8:04 am Reply with quote
st_owly wrote:
I suspect Himaruya probably knows a bit of English, given that he spent time in New York.

Interesting. Like I said, I don't really read Hetalia, and I haven't explored any of his other works, but yeah, that does sound pretty useful.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Page 5 of 5