• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Science Fiction anime recommendations.

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
yuna49

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2011 10:19 pm Reply with quote
FeniceDragon wrote:
I guess since my post was locked I will ask here. I see a lot of recommendations here however I was hoping to get some of your favorites that don't have excessive blood or gore. Any suggestions? Thank you.

I'll highlight three of the shows that have already been mentioned: Noein, Dennou Coil, and Planetes. These have little gore and are all quite different from each other as well.

Noein relies on a controversial interpretation of quantum theory in its presentation of "parallel universes." It was one of the first dozen anime shows I ever watched, and I was amazed that someone could make a show about quantum theory. (It even includes a brief cameo appearance by Schrodinger's cat.)

Dennou Coil has a more plausible core idea based on the extrapolation of communications technologies we use every day. The kids in this story spend most of their time in a virtual world that can only be experienced by using special glasses. We already have most of the necessary technologies in place today. They just haven't yet been assembled in the way Coil presents.

Planetes combines dramatic and slice-of-life elements to tell a story about space "trash collectors." In a time when defunct satellites are falling back to earth and the US National Research Council says the proliferation of space debris has now reached the "tipping point," it's easy to see the relevance of the story Planetes tells.

Noein has fighting scenes, but they're all incredibly stylized and lacking in gore (e.g., episode twelve starting around 7:45. BTW, I hate this dub; buy the DVDs and listen to the excellent Japanese track instead.) The others have no gore at all.
yamata no orochi

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2011 11:04 pm Reply with quote
Not a single person in this thread appears to have mentioned Kaiba! This must be rectified.

Kaiba is something like Osamu Tezuka crossed with Altered Carbon. It's set in a future where mankind have learned how to store their memories in chips; unfortunately, there are fewer bodies than chips, and society is incredibly corrupt as a result. In this tumult, a mysterious boy named Warp wakes up, without any memory of who he once was. In search of his past, he jumps from body to body on an adventure that illustrates the fragility of memory, the best and worst of the human condition, and (of course!) the power of love.

It's the second TV anime directed by Masaaki Yuasa, and while it isn't as coherent as his later work The Tatami Galaxy, it hits emotional highs that seriously rival any other series in the past decade or so. A whole lot of people dismissed it when it came out as an "arthouse show," but the truth is, besides the unusual art style and gorgeous music Kaiba also has a real heart and soul. You'd think that a world where memories existed in chips would cheapen death, but when people die in Kaiba, you sob.

Sure, the ending is a mess! But it remains one of the great overlooked series of the past decade or so. Just remember that (like Madoka Magica!) you need to watch the first three episodes in order to get a feel for exactly what it's trying to say. Then again the third episode is a doozy (one of the very best I've seen) so keep that in mind!

P.S. Dennou Coil's been mentioned a lot in this thread, but I'll go ahead and recommend it as well because it totally deserves it.
swienke

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2011 11:07 pm Reply with quote
FeniceDragon wrote:
I was hoping to get some of your favorites that don't have excessive blood or gore. Any suggestions?

I'd definitely recommend that you check out Crest of the Stars and its sequel series, Banner of the Stars I (Banner itself has two sequels, but I haven't seen them so I don't know about how gory they may or may not be). They mainly follow a young man named Jinto, a human basically exiled from his planet and trying to find his place within the expansive Abh empire, and Lafiel, an Abh princess who befriends him and ends up serving together with him in the military. Despite the fact that war plays a large role in both series, they really aren't very bloody or gory at all (at least to the best of my memory), and the focus is more on the wonderfully subtle and nuanced relationship that develops between the two leads.

I'd also recommend Voices of a Distant Star, which surprisingly hasn't been mentioned in this thread at all. It's actually just a short 30 min. movie, but it manages to accomplish quite a bit within that short time frame. The plot follows a young girl and boy who are separated when the girl volunteers to go into space to fight aliens, and are forced to try and communicate with each other off of text messages. I don't want to spoil anything about this gem, but I'll just say that it builds into something truly tragic and heartbreaking, but it's absolutely worth your time.
Lordziba

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2011 11:29 pm Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:
Lord_Ziba wrote:
I am just puzzled why these sci-fi animes never mentioned?

Maybe because many of them are generic or even pretty bad? A lot of them are also old, which does hurt notability. And most of them are just Mecha, plain and simple, which is very similar to but not exactly the same as Science Fiction.

But anyway, rather than just give us a list of titles, how about you actually explain what you thought was good in them? For example you listed Godannar. Well, what do you think makes that show so good from a Science Fiction perspective that you would recommend it to someone who is looking specifically for a Science Fiction title?

I listed the show that contain Mecha genre that's all. I personally feel that Goddanar is an abomination in the mecha style anime. And I think was question about the Mecha Shows not the "thoughtful science-fiction shows," there I can recommend let say, Crest/Banner of the Stars, Tytania, Legend of Galactic Heroes, Glass Fleet, maybe something from Lejiverse about Harlock or Galaxy Railways (note I am not mentioning Yamato, too far fetch, since my the Scifi Universal Standard is a Babylon 5 show, the tech level that is, if not mecha anime), with mecha of course bunch of Gundams and Macrosses.
FeniceDragon

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2011 1:01 am Reply with quote
Thank you very much swienke and yuna! I think I'll give Noein and Crest of the Stars a try. I really appreciate the explanations and thought out responses.
naninanino

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2011 9:24 am Reply with quote
Be aware that Legend of the Galactic Heroes has gore. Not as in that it is a gore show or anything, but as in that it doesn't tone down the violence level when something violent is actually happening.
Set1229

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2012 3:50 am Reply with quote
Looking for sci-fi anime that is dark to a degree, but light at the same time, sort of a gray tone.

I'm kinda old fashioned with graphics so I'll take sci-fi that is hand drawn from the 60s-early 2000s.

I like humanoid/normal sized robots, though I find giant mecha (Gundam, Evangelion etc) to be insanely boring and exaggerated.

If we are going for robot or cat girls, I'm more interested in personality and emotions rather than predictable (and in my case, insulting) fanservice (will tolerate in small doses), so one famous example would be that the first 2/3 of Chobits did not fly with me too well.

If it is a harem where a guy gets lots of attention from girls as well, by all means, supposing the guy is honestly suffering for some reason or another.

I have already seen and loved Lost Universe, (kinda counts) Escaflowne, Key The Metal Idol, early episodes of Asura Cryin', considering Tekkaman Blade

Split personalities with one being an innocent child are a "yes" similar to spoiler[ the plot twist in Key The Metal Idol]
Set1229

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2012 3:09 pm Reply with quote
I have heard Saber Marionette is a grand anime, but I must ask; is it part romantic comedy half serious? (I dislike ultra gloomy stories in general) Also, I have never watched a harem anime before; is this pervy or friendly attention the main guy is getting?[/list]
lesterf1020
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2012 6:18 pm Reply with quote
Set1229 wrote:
I have heard Saber Marionette is a grand anime, but I must ask; is it part romantic comedy half serious? (I dislike ultra gloomy stories in general) Also, I have never watched a harem anime before; is this pervy or friendly attention the main guy is getting?

You have to be more specific. Saber Marionette R is the original, 3 episode OVA and is a lot darker, edgier and sexually explicit than the rest of the series and is a separate universe and more actiony, better animated and quite gloomy. It is not really a harem show. Saber Marionette J is very much a light harem anime and it is very light on the pervy stuff. The show spends most of the time having the three marionettes fight for and over the relatively useless male lead. It would have been a great 13 episode series but unfortunately it is actually a 25 episode series with 2 sequels. So there is a lot of repetition which is fine if you watch it weekly but a bit tedious if you are trying to marathon it. It is mostly romantic comedy and action with some light drama and the occasional dark backstory. It is not a bad introduction to fighting harem anime.
Set1229

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2012 11:14 am Reply with quote
Looks like SMJ will be my cup of tea. I don't mind some occasional filler and temporary recycling, if I can survive 4 hours of Bobobo, I can take this.
Set1229

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2012 4:38 pm Reply with quote
I would like a sci-fi comedy or spaceships.

Doomsday endings, giant humanoid robots and fanservice bombs are a no-go.

If there is nudity, must be romantic sexual (because it's heart warming) or artistic.
foxmulder_ms

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2012 7:43 pm Reply with quote
My all time favorite anime (or even I would say favorite art piece) is Ghost in the Shell. All other anime I've watched did not come even close to Ghost in the Shell in my eyes.

I should remind you guys, I have pretty shallow anime knowledge compared to some people here. Especially for the last couple of years I am not really following any series at all.

So could you guys recommend me a preferably relatively new series that is similar to Ghost in the Shell???
dtm42

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2012 8:42 pm Reply with quote
foxmulder_ms wrote:
So could you guys recommend me a preferably relatively new series that is similar to Ghost in the Shell???

PSYCHO-PASS is a possibility.

Here is the ANN description:

The series takes place in the near future, when it is possible to instantaneously measure and quantify a person's state of mind and personality. This information is recorded and processed, and the term "Psycho-Pass" in the anime's title refers to a standard used to measure an individual's being. The story centers around the "enforcement officer" Shinya Kōgami, who is tasked with managing crime in such a world.

In my own words, it is about a technologically advanced society that measures people's mental health and everyone must have the titular pyscho-pass. People who are not mentally healthy are considered to have a disease, are tagged as "latent criminals" and are sent for rehabilitation. If they have too much mental damage they are simply executed. The story follows a young inexperienced officer named Akane Tsunemori who must grapple with the ethical considerations of hunting people who have lost their pyscho-pass but may not have done anything wrong yet. In that sense the show is like Minority Report and the theme of arresting people before they've committed a crime. Characters throw philosophical references and literary at one another just like in Ghost in the Shell. Many of the characters Akane works with are "enforcers", people who are latent criminals but who are used to capture other latent criminals because they can get inside the mind of a mentally unstable person. The show is also looks and sounds great, and though the dialogue in episode one is pretty cringe-inducing the show gets better.
phia_one

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2012 5:44 pm Reply with quote
A lot of really interesting recommendations that I'll be adding to my list.

I do have one to add to the list since Ergo Proxy and GunxSword were already mentioned:

Tide-Line Blue: After a disaster known as the Hammer of Eden, 90% of the Earth's surface is submerged underwater resulting in the deaths of six billion people. Fourteen years later, the New United Nations have managed to create some order. However, a rogue submarine captain wants to speed up the peace process by using force instead of using diplomacy.
foxmulder_ms

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2012 12:21 am Reply with quote
Thanks for the suggestions. Wink
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 5 of 6