• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Speed Racer Film Shots Posted, Trailer to Run Thursday

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Steventheeunuch

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2007 9:19 pm Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:

Oh, I'm sorry? Are you the Opinion Police? Did I break the law?

No, but you are a horrendously annoying troll who doesn't realise they are a horrendously annoying troll.
VW66

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2007 2:47 pm Reply with quote
I'm losing faith in it, but I'll go see it anyway since I grew up with the show. Maybe I'll be pleasantly surprised. For now though, the CG is so horrible and weird that it's distracting. I know people are arguing that it was intentional to make the effects look like a cartoon, but you can intentionally try to burp and end up farting too. I have no problem with celebrating Speed Racer's campyness and cheeziness, but as usual with Hollywood effects, they went way too far and the funky, spacey settings and CG look more like a cross between Pac Man and Donkey Kong than Speed Racer.
littlegreenwolf

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2007 4:43 am Reply with quote
God dammit GATSU, stop with the freaking one liners. They're pretty much the equivalent of spam. How many years have you been doing this? Can't you counter anything with an attempt at a well thought out paragraph?

In response to your one liners:

GATSU wrote:
NASCAR rednecks don't care about family race-car films. (See Cars and that Herbie remake...)

Rednecks and family movies: Oh yeah. You see, rednecks, at least here in The South, think of NASCAR as a family sport, and rednecks are all very keen on family activities. See, they all get in their pickup trucks, or RVs, days before a race, and happily ride down to Daytona or Miami, making a family trip of the thing. The kids are raised on hunting and race cars. Race car bed sheets, race car toys, race car pajamas, Daddy's favorite racer, etc. And then, when a movie comes out for the kiddies concerning race cars, they buy it. (believe me, I've babysat kids who think the Herbie movie is the coolest movie ever) Speed Racer is up that alley for them, and I highly doubt the merchandisers don't see this. Heck, I'm betting on some serious Speed Racer publicity when the movie comes out because it'll be smack dab in the middle of NASCAR season.

Next, you can't deny that there is a percentage of people who remember the show that will possibly see the movie. It's stupid to assume that no one who grew up on the show will see it versus the millions of others who have never seen it, will.

GATSU wrote:
Why would chicks go for a flick with an unattractive couple like Hirsch and Ricci?

Hirsch is hot and/or cute depending on the girl you ask. I know plenty of girls who think he was the most adorable thing in The Girl Next Door. Ricci, as gross as I find her, is considered hot in some circles since the anorexic look is still very popular.

littlegreenwolf wrote:
you have all the people who thought the Matrix was the best movie ever,

GATSU wrote:
Different genre.

Did I mention anything about genres? I don't recall mentioning anything about genres. I'm looking at my post, and guess what? I didn't mention anything about genres! See GATSU, some people like to watch these things called movies, and every once in a while a movie they really like comes along, and they go "gee, I really liked that!" When this happens, they look at the name of the person who directed that movie, and they go out and try more movies by that director to see if they like the other films as well. It happens.

GATSU wrote:
It'll be fortunate to make more money than Tokyo Drift.

Well, that's your opinion (though one seemingly without any basis), and it's something only time will tell. Guess we'll just have to sit back and see. What's my basis? Major publicity, family appeal, action, adventure, an actual story with actual characters, the Wachowski brothers. It already has a number of things Tokyo Drift never had.

Also, a good thing in this case would be to look at the Wachowski brothers' other non-matrix film, V for Vendetta. Despite all the bad publicity (Moore doesn't like his stuff adapted), constant moving of the release date, and finally, being released in March, it did pretty damn good by opening at number one and making back all the money it took to make it, and more. That's considered a success in Holly Wood, especially seeing as it was based off a comic book mostly no one has ever heard of. And oh yeah, it was rated R.
GATSU

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2007 11:15 am Reply with quote
Quote:
Rednecks and family movies: Oh yeah. You see, rednecks, at least here in The South, think of NASCAR as a family sport, and rednecks are all very keen on family activities. See, they all get in their pickup trucks, or RVs, days before a race, and happily ride down to Daytona or Miami, making a family trip of the thing. The kids are raised on hunting and race cars. Race car bed sheets, race car toys, race car pajamas, Daddy's favorite racer, etc. And then, when a movie comes out for the kiddies concerning race cars, they buy it. (believe me, I've babysat kids who think the Herbie movie is the coolest movie ever) Speed Racer is up that alley for them, and I highly doubt the merchandisers don't see this.

That's great, but that still didn't save Herbie.

Quote:
Next, you can't deny that there is a percentage of people who remember the show that will possibly see the movie.

True, but people remembered Inspector Gadget, Garfield, Underdog, and Fat Albert, too. That doesn't mean it will be huge.

Quote:

Hirsch is hot and/or cute depending on the girl you ask. I know plenty of girls who think he was the most adorable thing in The Girl Next Door.

I didn't know there were people who saw that film. Rolling Eyes

Quote:
Ricci, as gross as I find her, is considered hot in some circles since the anorexic look is still very popular.

That's not really helpful to the film's success, though.

Quote:
See GATSU, some people like to watch these things called movies, and every once in a while a movie they really like comes along, and they go "gee, I really liked that!" When this happens, they look at the name of the person who directed that movie, and they go out and try more movies by that director to see if they like the other films as well. It happens.

But just because you like Indy Jones doesn't mean you'll be renting Hook anytime soon.

Quote:
Also, a good thing in this case would be to look at the Wachowski brothers' other non-matrix film, V for Vendetta. Despite all the bad publicity (Moore doesn't like his stuff adapted), constant moving of the release date, and finally, being released in March, it did pretty damn good by opening at number one and making back all the money it took to make it, and more. That's considered a success in Holly Wood, especially seeing as it was based off a comic book mostly no one has ever heard of. And oh yeah, it was rated R.

But it wasn't really a box office hit, and it didn't help WB's bottom line that year.[/quote]
littlegreenwolf

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2007 5:07 pm Reply with quote
Nope, I guess asking for something more thought out from you was a bit too much to ask.

Ricci helps a film's success because she's a semi-big name in Holly Wood, and has a fanbase. This is common knowledge. She's had a cult following since being Wednesday in the Adam's Family.

And by the way, it's spelt "Indiana Jones" not "Indy Jones", and Hook was a fantastic movie, on par with anything else Spielberg touched back in the day. He did family movies, and he did family movies well, and guess what?! Hook was a box office hit.

And if you pay attention to what I wrote with the V for Vendetta comment you'd note that I wasn't saying Speed Racer would be a box office hit, though I highly believe it will be. I was saying it would easily do better than crap like Fast and Furious based on the Wachowski name alone. If you're trying to make a point, try to stay focused on what you're trying to say, and I don't know... maybe actually make a point and not be so vague?
GATSU

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2007 6:30 pm Reply with quote
little:
Quote:

Ricci helps a film's success because she's a semi-big name in Holly Wood,

Um, she's only been in two hits[The Addams Family and Sleepy Hollow], and they had nothing to do with her.

Quote:
and has a fanbase. This is common knowledge.

No it isn't common knowledge, since I really don't know anyone who squealed for joy on here when it was announced that she would be Trixie. Hell, if she had a fanbase, Black Snake Moan should've done at least as well as Hustle and Flow.

Quote:
She's had a cult following since being Wednesday in the Adam's Family.

No, the Addams Family had a cult following for being the Addams Family, not because she was in it. If she mattered that much, then the second film, which focused on her, would've done as well as the first film.

Quote:

And by the way, it's spelt "Indiana Jones" not "Indy Jones",

I know that, but they call him Indy in the film, so it's not inaccurate.

Quote:
and Hook was a fantastic movie, on par with anything else Spielberg touched back in the day.

Even Batteries Not Included, American Tail, and Innerspace? Rolling Eyes

Quote:
He did family movies, and he did family movies well, and guess what?! Hook was a box office hit.

Outside of the U.S., it was a hit.

Quote:
I was saying it would easily do better than crap like Fast and Furious based on the Wachowski name alone.

The Wachowskis haven't meant anything since The Matrix sequels. They're over.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Page 5 of 5