• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Del Rey, Marvel to Collaborate on X-Men, Wolverine

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Razorlight6

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2007 8:38 pm Reply with quote
I think these books are a great idea, and not at all strange. The X-Men have always been a young, misunderstood group of students living under one roof, trying to find their place amongst each other and the world around them? How much of teen manga uses one or more of those ideas? The mutations are simply their version of turning into animals, though with some mutants it's the same thing. Laughing Titles like X-Men: First Class, Spider-Man Loves Mary Jane, Spider-Girl and Runaways have proven these heroes can also be used as everyday teens with some normal and not so normal problems. The X-Men: Evolution cartoon showed it too. Like most things, it's not the concept that restricts it but rather the quality and imagination behind it. I look forward to this!

Splitter wrote:
LOL, totally would buy this just for the novelty. I love X-men, and I love Fruits Basket/Ouran High School... I'd buy it just to see what they would do with it! And I kind of liked it when X-Men went all manga-y for a while--Bachalo is possibly my favorite comic book artist (well, tied with Jhonen Vasquez).

Chris Bachalo is my favorite too. He's been back on both Uncanny X-Men and "adjectiveless" X-Men these past few years. He's on X-Men right now, alternating pencil duties with non other than Humberto Ramos. How's that for manga-y X-Men? Very Happy

On a side note, Bachalo will finally be out of the X-universe next year as one of the regular pencillers on Amazing Spider-Man. That'll be something to see!

Edit: By the way, those X-Men concepts by Anzu are wickedly awesome! I was afraid they would go with a simple eastern/western hybrid style that is so common in western manga-style works. I mostly read American comics these days but these designs are so rocking my world and I hope the final designs don't deviate too much from this aesthetic.
Paploo

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2007 10:13 pm Reply with quote
The Frankman wrote:

*kneejerk reaction imagery*

Damn you Marvel, why couldn't you just PICK who you wanted doing the series like the old days?

1- If you read the article on Newsarama, Marvel has final approval on everything. Mark Pannicia [who was one of the editors who spearheaded TP's OEL line before moving to Marvel] and C.B. Cebulski are handling things on Marvel's end.

So basically, Marvel did pick the artists in question, or rather, approved of their selection by Del Rey's editors.

2- God forbid artists and writers actually have a little creative freedom 0_o
The Frankman

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2007 10:49 pm Reply with quote
Paploo wrote:
1- If you read the article on Newsarama, Marvel has final approval on everything. Mark Pannicia [who was one of the editors who spearheaded TP's OEL line before moving to Marvel] and C.B. Cebulski are handling things on Marvel's end.

Hey, I'm just going by what I've heard. And if what you say is true, then I sense a firing. Just my opinion.

Quote:
2- God forbid artists and writers actually have a little creative freedom 0_o

You know what? Sometimes creative freedom isn't good. Truth. It smacks of another Mary Jane: Circle of Friends or Spider-Man Loves Mary-Jane, however in that series the characters were not drastically reinvented themselves to fit the demographic (some characters' plots were though). We've seen young Spiderman and MJ and the angst angle, so really nothing is weird at all there. Plus it's from MJ's POV, so it's not a problem.

Just look at the history of the X-Men comics and more specifically Marvel's Wolverine comics and at least tell me the concept is a little . . . well:

Paploo

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2007 11:13 pm Reply with quote
I've been reading X-men for 15 years, which included a fun run from the anime-influenced Joe Mad, who started on X-men back in 1994 http://comics.org/coverview.lasso?id=56048&zoom=4 [along with giving Rogue Motoko Kusanagi's haircut in X-men Age of Apocalypse]..... X-men and manga/anime are nothing new, and neither is X-men/Japan, which goes waayyyy back to the 80's in that case.

Possibly my favorite parody X-men comic was in an issue of Wolverine's What The??! called Lone Wolf and Chris, wherein a 5 page parody of Lone Wolf and Cub sees Wolverine carting a midget Chris Claremont about medieval Japan, and faces down assorted Samurai, in an entirely silent comic. Again, published during LW+C's original comic run in the late 80's.

Don't tell me Marvel's editorial don't like manga, or that Marvel's readers don't..... the negative comments you see at Newsarama [and here for that matter] represent a vocal minority who is grasping at straws 2 years before this'll even be published. It happens ANY time ANY new anime/manga license is announced, ANY time a new animated/movie adaption is announced or ANY time a major creative team change or new project a little out of the norm is announced. People panick, pull out the Jump to Conclusions Mat, and ignore common sense. It's a lame, lazy way to go about things.

If anyhthing, I think you're not entirely aware of, or potentially overlooking X-men's history yourself.

A firing? This sort of thing would of had to pass under a lot of people at Marvel in the first place before Del Rey even started checking out artist/writers, and probably continued afterwards too..... do you have no idea how comics are made? It's a pretty lengthy process, and I seriously doubt anything was overlooked, or that anyone will get fired over this. Cebulski has been at Marvel for almost a decade now. You're severely overexagerating.

Also, given the large sector of female fans in X-men, is there something wrong with creating a book that trys to appeal to female fans a little more? Spiderman Love Mary Jane has been pretty well recieved overall, and Marvel's done well with Runaways. This seems like a next logical step. Having dual shonen/shojo manga versions (that can be enjoyed by fans of either gender) is pretty common for mass marketed anime franchises in Japan (just look at Cowboy Bebop, Gundam or Train Man)...... there's no reason we shouldn't see similar things domestically.....

There's something mildly distasteful about picking at something like Spiderman Loves Mary Jane or Spidergirl for those reasons, considering the poor treatment of female fans, creators and characters in the past of Superhero comics..... shouldn't Marvel try to diversify it's content to reach as much of it's audience as possible [rather then alienating some for the sake of pleasing purists, who'll continue being serviced quite well by their unchanged, rather massive main line anyways]

It's all similar to what we've already seen in the sadly finished X-men Evolution, and it's nice Marvel's making something to appeal to that segment of Fandom.
The Frankman

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2007 1:10 am Reply with quote
Paploo wrote:
I've been reading X-men for 15 years, which included a fun run from the anime-influenced Joe Mad, who started on X-men back in 1994 http://comics.org/coverview.lasso?id=56048&zoom=4 [along with giving Rogue Motoko Kusanagi's haircut in X-men Age of Apocalypse]..... X-men and manga/anime are nothing new, and neither is X-men/Japan, which goes waayyyy back to the 80's in that case.

Noted, and they rocked. Very hard.

Quote:
Possibly my favorite parody X-men comic was in an issue of Wolverine's What The??! called Lone Wolf and Chris, wherein a 5 page parody of Lone Wolf and Cub sees Wolverine carting a midget Chris Claremont about medieval Japan, and faces down assorted Samurai, in an entirely silent comic. Again, published during LW+C's original comic run in the late 80's.

Don't tell me Marvel's editorial don't like manga, or that Marvel's readers don't..... the negative comments you see at Newsarama [and here for that matter] represent a vocal minority who is grasping at straws 2 years before this'll even be published. It happens ANY time ANY new anime/manga license is announced, ANY time a new animated/movie adaption is announced or ANY time a major creative team change or new project a little out of the norm is announced. People panick, pull out the Jump to Conclusions Mat, and ignore common sense. It's a lame, lazy way to go about things.

If anyhthing, I think you're not entirely aware of, or potentially overlooking X-men's history yourself.

Whoa whoa WHOA there. I never said they don't like manga, that would be completely ignorant going by their history. I'm just saying that was NOT a flattering pic of Wolverine. I don't think any X-Men fan (comic now, not the animation ... not that it matters) liked that initially. You're taking a character whose history is completely epic and drawing with like that?? Hell why not follow the example of Tsutomu Nihei in Wolverine: Snikt!?. I watched and read enough X-Men to know the people complaining aren't all knee-jerking here.

Quote:
A firing? This sort of thing would of had to pass under a lot of people at Marvel in the first place before Del Rey even started checking out artist/writers, and probably continued afterwards too..... do you have no idea how comics are made? It's a pretty lengthy process, and I seriously doubt anything was overlooked, or that anyone will get fired over this. Cebulski has been at Marvel for almost a decade now. You're severely overexagerating.

Hence the "just my opinion".

Quote:
Also, given the large sector of female fans in X-men, is there something wrong with creating a book that trys to appeal to female fans a little more? Spiderman Love Mary Jane has been pretty well recieved overall, and Marvel's done well with Runaways. This seems like a next logical step. Having dual shonen/shojo manga versions (that can be enjoyed by fans of either gender) is pretty common for mass marketed anime franchises in Japan (just look at Cowboy Bebop, Gundam or Train Man)...... there's no reason we shouldn't see similar things domestically.....

I previously stated that Mary Jane would work already because of the past angles/storyline. Wolverine just seems like an odd choice for this kind of treatment. Not from a business perspective, but just conceptually.

Quote:
There's something mildly distasteful about picking at something like Spiderman Loves Mary Jane or Spidergirl for those reasons, considering the poor treatment of female fans, creators and characters in the past of Superhero comics..... shouldn't Marvel try to diversify it's content to reach as much of it's audience as possible [rather then alienating some for the sake of pleasing purists, who'll continue being serviced quite well by their unchanged, rather massive main line anyways]

It's all similar to what we've already seen in the sadly finished X-men Evolution, and it's nice Marvel's making something to appeal to that segment of Fandom.

I'm not picking on SLMJ of SpiderGirl, they were very good and well done. No huge revisions or super-dramatic art changes. As for diversifying content, I'm all for it as long as you don't bastardize what made said character great and famous. I'm FAR from a purist but this? Save me from Wolvey's girly arms and child-bearing hips, please.

At least X-Men: Evolution had SOME comic precedent. There have been teen versions of many comics and they aren't always received well, though at least they looked like their charas. Scott was Scott, Jean was Jean, Rogue (for the most part) was Rogue and so on and so forth. At this point all I will say is I hope that the finished product doesn't remotely resemble the concept art (Jean Grey will work though as seen here, Mystique too). Cry for the moon, indeed.
HyperGatack

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2007 2:36 am Reply with quote
Paploo wrote:
ikillchicken wrote:
Was The Incredible Hulk meets Gundam already taken?

....... actually, yes.

http://comics.org/covers.lasso?SeriesID=21955

It was called Marvel Mega Morphs, and had an accompanying comic and toyline, complete with Hulk-themed mecha, which Hulk piloted. Basically, Marvel-themed Transformers. Circa 2005 [mind you, Marvel also made Spiderman and X-men mecha toys in the mid 90's. And there's always been the Sentinels in X-men since the 60's, albeit evil Giant Robots. Which lead to a popular series from Udon Studio and Marvel 5 or so years ago.]

[also, on a note on Marvel Shojo if Marvel compared it to say, a more angst-ridden shojo series like "Angel Sanctuary", we'd be getting a 25 volume Rogue/Gambit angstfest. Which probably wouldn't be too far removed from the current, 10+ year long Rogue/Gambit angstfest. "Remy, ah can touch you now! Oh wait, you're evil! And my lesbian Mom's trying to interfere, though I'm not sure if she's good, or evil this time.....".....repeat! Fangirl hordes intake!]

You left out the toku Spidey had back in the 70s. It was Spider-man who made the whole "Fight monsters one sized, kill em again in a giant robot" thing popular afterall.
The Xenos

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2007 3:47 am Reply with quote
Of course, this isn't the first time Marvel's had manga creators work on Marvel books. Though this is the first time it's in a graphic novel format.

My favorite is of course Wolverine: Snikt! by Blame! creator Tsutomu Nihei.

There was also Kia Asamiya on regular issues of Uncanny X-men. Sadly the author was terrible and the story was total garbage.

Also, Lone Wolf & cub's Kazuo Koike wrote a issue of X-Men Unlimited starring Wolverine.

I know there has to be more, but that's all I can think of right now.
Hon'ya-chan

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2007 4:35 am Reply with quote
Paploo wrote:

Mark Pannicia? As in Mark "let's hire Keith Giffen to "Giffenize" Battle Royale" Pannicia?

Instant Automatic Failure.
Paploo

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2007 6:23 am Reply with quote
The Frankman wrote:

I previously stated that Mary Jane would work already because of the past angles/storyline. Wolverine just seems like an odd choice for this kind of treatment. Not from a business perspective, but just conceptually.
Save me from Wolvey's girly arms and child-bearing hips, please.

At least X-Men: Evolution had SOME comic precedent. There have been teen versions of many comics and they aren't always received well, though at least they looked like their charas. Scott was Scott, Jean was Jean, Rogue (for the most part) was Rogue and so on and so forth. At this point all I will say is I hope that the finished product doesn't remotely resemble the concept art (Jean Grey will work though as seen here, Mystique too). Cry for the moon, indeed.

Well, that's a lot more sensible then a bunch of puking Wolverine icons. Thanks for explaining your concerns Anime smile

It is important to keep in mind that that's all conceptual artwork, and given how this project is 2 years away, probably not final in anyway whatsoever. Wolverine could end up being a teenager, or he could end up having a cameo as a teacher [or not appearing in it at all. Though I kind of doubt he won't show up in some form]

It's also important to keep in mind that there's going to be a seperate, action-oriented Wolverine manga released at the same time for fans who wanted that [it should be pretty cool if Antony Johnstons' Wasteland is any indication, along with Wolvie's long history of Samurai Epic homage stories]
Vuwazy

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2007 10:24 am Reply with quote
Wolverine done in a shoujo? That has LOL written all over it.

I do happen to like X-Men and Fruits Basket btw. So I wish them the best on what they set to do with this project.
LostPhrack

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2007 5:38 pm Reply with quote
Paploo wrote:
It is important to keep in mind that that's all conceptual artwork, and given how this project is 2 years away, probably not final in anyway whatsoever. Wolverine could end up being a teenager, or he could end up having a cameo as a teacher [or not appearing in it at all. Though I kind of doubt he won't show up in some form]

There's definitely time and room for change. It's worth keeping in mind that the Wolverine pic being tossed around isn't even by the artist of the Wolverine series, it's from the X-Men artist. Johnston's posted elsewhere that Wolverine won't even be in the shoujo-y X-Men title and that they still haven't picked an artist for Wolverine yet, so I'd say it's very likely that the final Wolverine won't look anything like the one in these promo pics.
KWNightwind

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2007 6:52 pm Reply with quote
What the hell!? This isn't cool! Not cool at all!!! I've been a comic lover since I was born, x-men always my fav.... this is just gonna ruin it! Mad Grrr!!!... I have so many thoughts about this, but it upsets me so much I can't get them into proper sentences for me to type out... point is, this is upsetting on many levels, and in my opinion should NOT happen Exclamation
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Page 5 of 5