• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Newtype USA to Cease Publication

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TsukasaElkKite

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2008 10:45 pm Reply with quote
icepick314 wrote:
i wonder if ADV will do Animage USA instead?

that'll be hiliarious! Laughing

why would that be so funny?
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2008 10:53 pm Reply with quote
DKong wrote:
Bleh, I don't really care.

Then don't really post in this thread. If you work for Otaku USA then what you just did was incredibly tasteless, and if you don't, then we really don't appreciate users gloating and being rude about things like this.
Romuska
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2008 11:01 pm Reply with quote
It looks like this could go one of two ways. It could go the way of Rajin and become a vastly inferior magazine or it'll basically be the same magazine under a few new names. Either way I would have subscribed in a heartbeat on their first issue if it didn't cost $90.
Arcwave

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2008 11:09 pm Reply with quote
What is going on with the anime industry?! This is ridiculous... Evil or Very Mad
firedragon54738

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2008 11:09 pm Reply with quote
it like 90 bucks for a year subscription i dont got the muck cash for a subscription to any magazine sure they gave u a dvd and a poster i think there other anime magazine out there that cover that same stuff that newtype have i only bout 1 of there magazines so i wont t miss them
s-girl

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2008 11:20 pm Reply with quote
To be honest, I"ve never been happy with the pricepoints and the drop in paper thickness as well as recycling of older art for "ADV shows" they wanted to promote.

I'm assuming if they lose the name, they lose the rights to some of the Newtype Japan/Korea features that come out . For me, these features were what kept me reading the magazine. However, assuming these disappear, I don't think I'll pick up any American magazines, which Isee as rehashing news I already read online.

I think I'd rather pick up Newtype Japan and its shoujo version Newtype Romance for the wonderful images and extra omake. I'll pay about the same and get better paper, more current news, and free stuff that isn't quite as lame as the calendars.
omnistry

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2008 11:29 pm Reply with quote
WTF?!!!!

Although I only bought one issue of Newtype, I thought it to be a great magazine. Not only that but it's our version of the most popular anime magazine in Japan!

I am curious to see what this new magazine will bring. Will it also come with a free DVD with anime episodes, or will it just be bare bones anime news?
Spirit Rubi

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2008 12:07 am Reply with quote
And just when I was about to subscribe to it after buying 4 issues at my local Borders. D:

I'll buy the final issue though I guess... too bad. Hopefully the new magazine will be just as great. I haven't checked out Otaku USA yet... maybe I'll check it out at my Borders next time I go and have money.
britannicamoore

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2008 12:09 am Reply with quote
I stopped buying it during the whole: subscription only! no issues in stores. I realized that by spending all that money on it, I could use it for better things like dvds.

I did still look at an issue or two at a friends. She'll be disappointed to no end.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
daxomni

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2008 12:26 am Reply with quote
I bought a year's worth of NTUSA for $100 or whatever it cost. I didn't feel I got anywhere near that much enjoyment from it so I let my subscription lapse. Maybe it was one of the more mature anime magazines in the states, but it still felt like it was written for kids. Much of the early coverage was on shows we wouldn't see on our side of the pond for years and that seemed rather pointless to me. I think part of the problem lately is that the US market is entering an economic recession. And of course there's always my old stand-by argument that all those "alternative" sources for anime probably aren't that great for the industry. I'm not sure I agree that this is totally out of the blue either. Unless I'm mistaken hasn't the US anime market been shrinking on the whole for years now? I seem to remember the first warning signs over decreasing revenue being leaked as far back as 2005 or so.
Proz512

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2008 12:37 am Reply with quote
NimbusRain wrote:
Wow, what's going on? It seems like every other week, we get news of some major staple in the anime community stopping production. Geneon's gone, Hirameki stopped publishing novels, the Anime Network is being discontinued, and now Newtype!? I don't mean to be a pessimist, but these past few months have had quite a few sad announcements.

And we haven't even hit bottom if you believe the chatter. It is interesting because I saw Matt Greenfield this past weekend and he never mentioned about NTUSA but I heard the usual talk on the dismal state of the industry.
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2008 12:44 am Reply with quote
ScottGreen wrote:
To throw some speculation into the discussion without too much insight into the print side of anime coverage, I can't imagine how the departure of Geneon from active anime distribution didn't hurt these magazines. That's a significant advertiser who no longer had any need to market to anime consumer.

At the very least that's one source of income they didn't have anymore. I'm sure the companies pay some sort of fee for coverage in a magazine be it Newtype, AI, or PA. Maybe they were on the cusp and just that one lost check was enough to put them in the red. One thing I wonder about it the difference between monthly and bi-monthly magazines. Animerica left not too long ago. They had been a monthly magazine and they're gone. Now Newtype USA is gone. With Anime Insider moving to monthly from bi-monthly, after Animerica left coincidentally, maybe the trend will continue. Look at PA and how long it's been around and the whole time as a bi-monthly publication. Anime is a niche market so perhaps the costs involved for a monthly magazine as opposed to a bi-monthly magazine are just too great right now. It'll be interesting to see how well AI does in the future moving being a monthly magazine and also how well Otaku USA does since they're roughly the same price as Newtype but are a bi-monthly publication.

DKong wrote:
Bleh, I don't really care. Otaku USA all the way!

Reasons why I like it over Newtype USA:
- has many familiar names in the anime community: Patrick Macias, Daryl Surat (anime world order), Dave Riley (dave and joel), Clarissa Graffeo (anime world order), and a few more...

- cheaper (not by much, but it is)

- has the same extra crap as Newtype (dvds, manga, etc)

- has more full fledged articles- to me, NTUSA seems to be all pictures, little text....and if there was text, it was just a description of a show....I like how Otaku USA has actual articles and whatnot.

So having familiar names is all you need to have a quality magazine huh? I'll be sure to remember that. Rolling Eyes You also seem to fail to understand the purpose of Newtype USA and what they were trying to do as a magazine with your "they're all pictures and not much text blah blah blah." And if you wanna tout Otaku USA over Newtype because of full fledged articles....well why not take a look at our own Protoculture Addicts. It has the same amount of "articles" as you described them and it's cheaper (by half) then you're precious Otaku USA. Plus it doesn't have extra "crap" to waste our time so by your logic PA is an even better deal. Guess we don't need Otaku USA then. Wink
White_Ninja

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2008 1:40 am Reply with quote
well this pretty much sucks =(((
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
KyuuA4

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2008 1:54 am Reply with quote
Well -- this news is both surprising and not-surprising. The current state of the industry does bear reduction of publications, and NewtypeUSA is one of the more expensive ones. Even so, this still feels "sudden".
nooneofconsequence

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2008 2:20 am Reply with quote
Oh well, more money to import issues of Megami and Comp H more frequently with. Newtype USA was a nice magazine for the illustrations, but the articles for the most part - and there are exceptions - weren't all that great or informative. Reviews, especially after the Eva movie debacle, were pretty bad in the sense that it would take a lot for something to get a negative review. It'll be interesting to see what replaces it, but I'm not holding my breath because the remaining three major NA anime publications really aren't that great.

Anime Insider - Focuses more on mainstream fandom. Great for the Shounen Jump and Adult Swim crowd, but not really interesting for anyone else.

Otaku USA - I'll give them credit for diversifying their coverage when compared to AI, but their features aren't that great and their review staff, especially manga, have some questionable critical approaches. Really just comes off as a NTUSA and PA wannabe publication that fails to consistently to get me to purchase it.

Protoculture Addicts - Love it or hate it, you're pretty much getting ANN in print. If I had to choose a publication out of the three, it would be PA.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 5 of 14