• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Bandai Visual USA Gets Haruka TV Anime Series

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
GATSU

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2008 2:36 am Reply with quote
Chris has money to blow on imports and high-def upgrades. I still believe that if I have to pay Japanese prices for Gunbuster, I should get the Japanese version. And frankly, their uneven prices and title selections remind me of Raijin, a company I actually liked. They really should prioritize better, because I think that confuses and annoys people even more, when they sell one thing at a more insane cost MSRP than another.
Emerje

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2008 3:50 am Reply with quote
james039 wrote:
As someone who has bought a number of BV titles I can confirm they are paying more attention to video/audio quality as well as packaging with their releases. The packaging is always excellent and includes booklets describing the series, but as far as the real meat and potatoes of the product, the video and audio on the discs are pretty much universally superb. The picture is very sharp and artifact free (likely attributed to the fact they only put 2 episodes on discs at a time, but the 4 episode GA Rune discs look just as stunning).

Shouldn't we already expect that from a title with a $30 MSRP? Should we really spend another $20 just to get them to clean up the visuals a bit and clear up the audio? Is that even worth an extra $20? Better looking and sounding content should be standard in any 2007 - 2008 release, not a premium, and booklets should be a bonus, not an additional charge. Titles with these things have been sold at a $30 MSRP (and a dub track) for years and all along fans have said it is still too much. Distributors responded with box sets, incentives, and lower priced re-releases. Then along comes BV seemingly trying to undo all of that, we should have evolved beyond this.

Emerje
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
mufurc

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2008 6:18 am Reply with quote
Pricing problems aside, why is it called "Haruka"? I mean, it'd make some sense if there actually was a person called Haruka in the cast, but no, it's just the first word of the Japanese title, which they've translated anyway. I imagine that fans already know what the title means and don't need a reference to the Japanese title to be able to identify the show. So why? It just sounds stupid, IMO.

As for the T.H.E.M's review, it seems to be pretty spot-on. (Btw, I'm also wary when they judge whole series based on 3-4 episodes, but if a series doesn't improve in 13 episodes, why waste more time on it in hopes of getting at least a couple of good episodes later?) One episode was enough to turn me off, but everyone I know who likes it admitted that they only like it for the pretty boys and the voice actors. (In fact, this show is pretty much like Sukisho and other seiyuu-driven series. There's simply no point in dubbing them, because the fans are mostly in it for the Japanese voice actors.)
cloud1989

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2008 8:00 am Reply with quote
I still don't know why this is such a big deal, I already said 9 disc is just 2 more than a normal 26 episode series, just 2 I mean come on its not that bad, lets not forget that most of the time art boxes are available for tv shows and many of us get them, thats another price increase, and some of us(like me) still buy at places like best buy so then you have taxes to consider, while online stores don't charge tax( unless you live where they are) and have some standard for getting free shipping, with that said the price it would cost me to buy this series online would be about as much as it would cost to buy a 7 disc 26 episode series at besy buy.
CCSYueh

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2008 12:11 pm Reply with quote
Emerje wrote:
james039 wrote:
As someone who has bought a number of BV titles I can confirm they are paying more attention to video/audio quality as well as packaging with their releases. The packaging is always excellent and includes booklets describing the series, but as far as the real meat and potatoes of the product, the video and audio on the discs are pretty much universally superb. The picture is very sharp and artifact free (likely attributed to the fact they only put 2 episodes on discs at a time, but the 4 episode GA Rune discs look just as stunning).

Shouldn't we already expect that from a title with a $30 MSRP? Should we really spend another $20 just to get them to clean up the visuals a bit and clear up the audio? Is that even worth an extra $20? Better looking and sounding content should be standard in any 2007 - 2008 release, not a premium, and booklets should be a bonus, not an additional charge. Titles with these things have been sold at a $30 MSRP (and a dub track) for years and all along fans have said it is still too much. Distributors responded with box sets, incentives, and lower priced re-releases. Then along comes BV seemingly trying to undo all of that, we should have evolved beyond this.

Emerje

$20 more?
Where you getting MSRP at $10 for sub-only? I believe MediaBlasters is giving us 3-4 eps of yaoi (Was it less on No Money?) for $19.99 & not even a paper insert half the time. So it's $10 more that pays for the dub which, we can assume BV is putting into giving us a booklet.
If I order from RightStuf at $22.49, fill my cart carefully (4 Haruka, 1 $9 or less item), I can use their Got Anime Club special of $7 off $97 purchase to drop the price to $21.09 which drops again to $18.99 after my Got Anime 10% discount.
$19 for a bunch of VA's I enjoy in a typical shojo harem title? Why not? I've already paid $35 (12 songs) for the character cd from CD Japan, obviously $19 isn't too bad.

Gatekeepers was 8 dvds. Wasn't the first Eva Release? Or was that 7? There were 9 in Kyo Kara Maoh I believe, but it was also dubbed & over 30 eps.
Ryusui

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2008 2:32 pm Reply with quote
Zalis116 wrote:
Colonel Wolfe wrote:
I wanted to pick up the Freedom series and the Haruhi series but after discovering that there were only two episodes per disk just didn't interest me to pick it up. Even the Best Buy in my area has a hard time of selling the Haruhi DVD's.
Say what? Haruhi was released by Bandai Entertainment, not Bandai Visual, and it's a perfectly normal 4-4-3-3 release.

Which brings us to one ugly, previously-unmentioned side effect of BVUSA's shenanigans: the less-literate will confuse them with their cousin, Bandai Entertainment.
Xanas

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2008 3:01 pm Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:

Xanas: I'm sure they know about business, just not American business.

I hope you are right and that they are doing this wrong. Sadly, I don't think there is anyway to prove them that they are wrong. (Dargonxtc can prove them that they are wrong apparently, but he doesn't feel like teaching anyone sadly Sad )

Dargonxtc wrote:
Xanas:
Okay you can stop with the emotional hyperbole anytime. I didn't infer any of that CRAP you are spouting. It is clear you have no clue as to what I was saying, as usual. Geez. Are you drunk?

I don't have time to give you a school lesson on pricing structures and the influence they have on markets. Take a class if you want all your theories to be dashed. And you forget that BVUSA is still being bound by a foreign business model. And if you think otherwise your hopelessly naïve.

Edit:
Oh and there is a difference between "can" and "is".

Emotional hyperbole on my part, and you with words like crap, drunk, dashed, and naive. You don't have time to give me anything because you didn't have anything to give in the first place except "sly" insults. If you did have anything, you wouldn't be wasting your time telling me about how you don't have time, which I think is rather ironic.

Randall Miyashiro wrote:

I will assume that this marketing plan is working well enough for BVUSA for them to continue with it.

I think your assumption is valid, and this is why I question words without data.
Dargonxtc

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2008 3:31 pm Reply with quote
Xanas wrote:
Emotional hyperbole on my part,

Yes, did you even read what you wrote. Really low life if you ask me. 3rd grade Pee Wee nah nah stuff.
Quote:
and you with words like crap, drunk, dashed, and naive.
Crap was what your false accusations and misrepresentations of me are. Naive is certainly a very accurate description. The others you'll have to give me for someone who was just heavily insulted told lies about. But you can cry about it if you want.

Quote:
You don't have time to give me anything because you didn't have anything to give in the first place except "sly" insults. Enough said.
Yes, I should give a 10,000 word explanation of everything I learned in life so that your trolling illogical mind can stick your nose in the air and say nah nah. And how am I supposed to believe you will even comprehend such a thing when you can't even comprehend a few sentences. Ideas that which you seem to not understand, which would lead me to believe you never had much background on these matters. Which frankly surprises the hell out of me since you say you work at a financial institution. Just because someone refuses to give you what you want doesn't mean they don't have it. But I should expect something like this from an entitlement champion.

Xanas wrote:
Randall Miyashiro wrote:
I will assume that this marketing plan is working well enough for BVUSA for them to continue with it.
I think your assumption is valid, and this is why I question words without data.
You know, I agree with Randall's sentiment as well. If you would have read through your blood shot eyes and comprehended what I actually said than you would have realized this from sentence one. Rolling Eyes
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
lijakaca

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2008 5:21 pm Reply with quote
mufurc wrote:
(In fact, this show is pretty much like Sukisho and other seiyuu-driven series. There's simply no point in dubbing them, because the fans are mostly in it for the Japanese voice actors.)

Bingo. I think you just answered the question of why aren't they dubbing it. This series is for fans of the games and the seiyuu, who will buy it at that price. I really don't think they're going for a broad audience here.
Xanas

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2008 6:39 pm Reply with quote
Quote:

The others you'll have to give me for someone who was just heavily insulted told lies about.

When did I lie about you? Where do you get this stuff? You just said "drunk", "bloodshot" and various other little quips and I'm the one who is personally insulting you? What you are saying simply makes no sense, and at this point I think people just need to read our previous posts. I never lied even once about you in this forum, much less in this thread.

To go back all the way to where we started at:
Dargonxtc wrote:

Xanas wrote:
Theoretically they'd make more if lowered prices, but I don't know that anyone can prove whether or not it's true.

Historical economics can show a positive trend that it is almost always mostly true. So much so that I believe it would move it well out of theory.

You said here that "it's not a theory" that they would "make more if they lowered prices." Yet now you say you agree with Randall where he states that he believes Bandai is doing this because it's profitable for them to do it this way (instead of lowering prices). I didn't miss the post you made where you said "as long as they are in the black" but that still isn't the position Randall posted, which is that they are probably making more this way than they would be making otherwise.
domino

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2008 7:36 pm Reply with quote
mufurc wrote:
Pricing problems aside, why is it called "Haruka"? I mean, it'd make some sense if there actually was a person called Haruka in the cast, but no, it's just the first word of the Japanese title, which they've translated anyway. I imagine that fans already know what the title means and don't need a reference to the Japanese title to be able to identify the show. So why? It just sounds stupid, IMO.

I think they should at least use the full title as a subtitle or something so the title will be more recognizable...

But that aside, it's not really uncommon for anime/manga names to be shortened when they get a US release -- like how they use "Hana-Kimi" for "Hanazakari no Kimitachi e", "SaiKano" for "Saishuu Heiki Kanojo", "Saiyuki" for "Gensoumaden Saiyuki", etc etc. In these cases, the full title is a mouthful, so they just used what Japanese fans use to shorten the series' titles in casual conversation (and English fans like to shorten it with "HaruToki", too -- interesting that they used the Japanese fan-shorthand instead~)
mufurc

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2008 8:10 pm Reply with quote
domino wrote:
But that aside, it's not really uncommon for anime/manga names to be shortened when they get a US release -- like how they use "Hana-Kimi" for "Hanazakari no Kimitachi e", "SaiKano" for "Saishuu Heiki Kanojo", "Saiyuki" for "Gensoumaden Saiyuki", etc etc. In these cases, the full title is a mouthful, so they just used what Japanese fans use to shorten the series' titles in casual conversation (and English fans like to shorten it with "HaruToki", too -- interesting that they used the Japanese fan-shorthand instead~)

Yeah, but HanaKimi, SaiKano, Saiyuki, etc. were all established portmanteau names taken over from the Japanese fandom before the shows were published in the US. Also, as you said, this show already has such a well-known nickname, HaruToki. Using that would've made sense. But "Haruka"...? It's like shortening "Neon Genesis Evangelion" to "Neon." Or shortening "Tokyo Majin Gakuen" to "Tokyo Majin"... oh, wait.

...Seriously, I know that most people who don't speak Japanese or know what the titles mean probably don't give a damn, but still, it's just stupid. There's no way the companies couldn't have dealt with such titles in a more sensible way.
Dargonxtc

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2008 8:25 pm Reply with quote
Xanas wrote:
When did I lie about you?

By saying that what 'I' was saying, is that I am "smarter than Bandai", and that I "didn't think they went to school" is a complete lie, and a total misrepresentation of what I was saying. Not to mention a low-class diversion. From that point forward it was impossible to take you seriously, and a window into your incomprehension.

Xanas wrote:
Yet now you say you agree with Randall where he states that he believes Bandai is doing this because it's profitable for them to do it this way (instead of lowering prices).

I think you are confusing any profit with most profit. The gist of his point wasn't that they are making the most profit, but rather they are making a safe one(as far as anyone can tell). By putting the least effort and planting themselves in a green margin. His ending point was for BVUSA to just drop out of the NA market altogether, and let BV Japan put english subtitles on there releases and sell them over here. I agree with all of this.

What you are saying, and to be fair(because I am a fair guy), you didn't say it directly, you just strongly inferred it over several of your comments. Is that their pricing structure is perfect and that they are maximizing there total take, and it would be impossible to take more even if they did change their schemes. And I say that is bupkis*. Now there are lots of reasons why one would choose to take the safe bet rather than trying to maximize profits. Like but not limited to, using a foreign business model(i.e. treating the NA market like a Japananse market), lowering pricing schemes increases the risks for each individual series(this is an essay in its self), hiring of a more effective marketing department, etc, etc. But don't tell me that they are making the most of the material in which they sell, they simply are choosing not to because they don't want to spend the "costs"(No, I am not talking about dubs, it would cost another 200k, and that is a totally different matter) or inccur the risks, or are confined into doing so by Japan. Rolex doesn't make as much money as Seiko, but they do make money. But if Rolex wanted to make more they could in a very short time, they would just have to inccur some risks and put in a lot of extra hard work. Lowering prices would be one of the first steps. Do you understand a little better what I was getting at, and how you mistook it? I was never a TA so it's hard to tell.

*Rule of thumb: is only lower prices to a point that you can multiply sales by 2.1 or more. With the size of even this tepid market this is hardly an unachievable goal.
Porcupine

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2008 8:34 pm Reply with quote
Xanas wrote:
Randall Miyashiro wrote:

?? Not trying to start an argument or anything, but like I wrote earlier I did think that this new Haruka release was priced cheaper than most of BVUSA's previous releases. IMO the current pricing scheme is only approximately 1.5x (MSRP $30 for 3 episodes) more than the average in the USA market. Whereas the old pricing scheme was about 3x more than average (MSRP $40 for 2 episodes).

If anything this makes me think that BVUSA's previous sales figures were terrible and that they are trying to lower their prices, even if they are still higher than the average.

GATSU wrote:
I still believe that if I have to pay Japanese prices for Gunbuster, I should get the Japanese version.

But from what I understand, which could be wrong, the domestic versions of BVUSA products tend to be bit-identical copies of the Japanese versions. That's why the video quality is up to Japanese standard, any extras are all the same, etc. If that's true then why not pay a bit less (compared to the import prices) for the BVUSA version?
CCSYueh

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2008 11:11 pm Reply with quote
mufurc wrote:

...Seriously, I know that most people who don't speak Japanese or know what the titles mean probably don't give a damn, but still, it's just stupid. There's no way the companies couldn't have dealt with such titles in a more sensible way.

If I'm typing, I use PotC3. If I'm speaking, I say Pirates 3. I call the first LotR movie Fellowship when I speak of it. It's pretty common to take an identifiable shorter name for things with longer names.

Just listen to ANY anime where they use English. They really mess our language up a lot also.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 5 of 6