• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Gonzo Works to be Streamed Simultaneously with Airing

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mr. sickVisionz

PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2008 10:10 am Reply with quote
I wish they'd start selling HD downloads of basically every show broadcast. I could easily see myself spending like $10 a week on anime when I currently only spend like $100 a year max.

saini85 wrote:
I agree that this is great but are these shows going to be streamed in the same quality of video that youtube has now? If so, then I don't know whether fansubs will become obsolete or not because I would much rather watch a fansub instead of a youtube quality video.

I think fansubs will always exists. It seems to be a "claim to fame" type of thing now. The first excuse will be about quality, once quality catches up, the excuse will be, "well DVDs and Blu-Ray aren't released at the same time so until then..." If that catches up, the excuse will be, "Bleach comes out on Wednesday and Cartoon Network doesn't air it until Thursday so..."
Tofusensei

PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2008 10:16 am Reply with quote
Key wrote:
Given the titles involved, does anyone else think this sounds more like an experiment than a full-blown commitment? After all, would either of these shows be classified as "highly anticipated" by fans outside of Japan?

Druaga was going to be a MAJOR title in the Spring 08 fansub scene, trust me. It was going to be oversubbed and very popular. They picked a good title to experiment with.

I've been calling for this for ages. I wonder who they contracted to to do the translations/subtitles.

I just wish crunchyroll wasn't involved. It's such blatant hypocrisy for GONZO to support the world's #1 anime pirate site.

-Tofu
Aradiel

PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2008 10:23 am Reply with quote
It may seem bad for them to sign a deal with Crunchyroll, but I honestly doubt this would've happened without them getting that $4m - that made Gonzo take notice.
Westlo

PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2008 10:28 am Reply with quote
Key wrote:
Given the titles involved, does anyone else think this sounds more like an experiment than a full-blown commitment? After all, would either of these shows be classified as "highly anticipated" by fans outside of Japan?

I did some reading up on "The Tower of Druaga" and my initial this will be crap opinion has changed. The Director of Last Exile is handling it, Series Composition and Screenplay by Shoji Gatoh the writer of Full Metal Panic (and imo the 3 episodes he wrote the script for in Lucky Star were the 3 best in the series) and music by Hitoshi Sakimoto (Final Fantasy Tactics, Vagarant Story and Final Fantasy XII).

*watches the two PVs*

Yep you can tell is Sakimoto doing the music if you've played any rpgs he has done. Animation looks alright (you would hope it does in a trailer...), not too much use of cg. Could be good or average or bad. Either way I'm down to watching the first episode the 4th of next month.

Last edited by Westlo on Fri Mar 21, 2008 10:38 am; edited 1 time in total
Westlo

PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2008 10:35 am Reply with quote
Tofusensei wrote:
Druaga was going to be a MAJOR title in the Spring 08 fansub scene, trust me. It was going to be oversubbed and very popular. They picked a good title to experiment with.

-Tofu

Not saying you're wrong since you would obviously know a lot more about the fansub scene than some random leecher like me but until today Druga has hardly been getting any hype compared to titles like Code Geass R2, Macross Frontier and Soul Eater which are the obvious Major titles of Spring.

I'm not just basing this on that bit torrent site and here, but also animeondvd, MAL and a heap of IRC channels. Without this crunchyroll deal I still think SA would've been the more popular Gonzo title since it has the potential to be as big as Ouran was. I personally prefer the SA manga to Ouran but who knows what the overall anime fandom will think. They will probably scream its an Ouran ripoff even though the SA manga predates the Ouran manga anyway...

Of course anticipation doesn't mean everything, look at Haruhi which was pretty much unknown and see how that exploded onto the fandom. So while Druga may not have been shaping up to be a major title in my eyes and a lot of other people it easily could have after a few episodes. Though if it's not popular with the anime community with this crunchyroll deal in place I guess we can safely say it wouldn't have been a major title on the fansub scene.
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2008 10:43 am Reply with quote
Something else that just occured to me - if they are streaming English subs on the day of broadcast there is absolutely no reason not to include English subs on the R2 DVDs, which for titles unlikely to ever get an R1 release would be a major boon.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Goodpenguin

PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2008 10:48 am Reply with quote
Key wrote:

Quote:
Given the titles involved, does anyone else think this sounds more like an experiment than a full-blown commitment? After all, would either of these shows be classified as "highly anticipated" by fans outside of Japan? This could just be a move by GDH to see if they can boost the popularity of a couple of marginal series while at the same time testing the simultaneous-release market, so I'll be more believing that it's a trend when I see a top-name title get treated the same way.

I wrote something similar in an earlier thread, and while I respect Tofusensei's opinion in regards to 'Druaga' being something fansubbers were eyeballing heavily, I still am inclined to agree with the gist of your sentiment. Especially in light of 'Druaga' also being streamed/simulcast heavily in Japan, and with a big MMO game tie-in.

I'll also agree with something ikillchicken wrote a few pages back, it's nice to see the industry move in ways fans have wished, but money's got to be made somewhere in this for the industry to see better days again. Just replacing 'unofficial' fansubs with 'official' fansubs, sans any deeper model than that, isn't really going to help the industry much.

It also doesn't address the potentially serious issue of what moves like this will do to traditional R1 licensor's. If the Japanese splitting digital distribution and physical distribution to separate entities means the drastic decline in the value of the physical (DVD) license, then unless internet ad revenue becomes an amazing windfall, the Japanese licensees have needlessly created a bigger problem for themselves.
Dalf

PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2008 10:48 am Reply with quote
Wow, THIS is what I'm talking about! It obviouslly ain't gonna stop the fansubs, but hey, it's a step in the right direction. Thanks, Gonzo Studio!
LiuXuande

PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2008 10:53 am Reply with quote
OH MY GOD.

I seriously can't believe what I'm reading.
Tofusensei

PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2008 10:57 am Reply with quote
Goodpenguin wrote:
Just replacing 'unofficial' fansubs with 'official' fansubs, sans any deeper model than that, isn't really going to help the industry much.

It also doesn't address the potentially serious issue of what moves like this will do to traditional R1 licensor's. If the Japanese splitting digital distribution and physical distribution to separate entities means the drastic decline in the value of the physical (DVD) license, then unless internet ad revenue becomes an amazing windfall, the Japanese licensees have needlessly created a bigger problem for themselves.

The R1 industry is going to need to prove its value to the Japanese if they don't want to see their revenues and role decline. Funi, ADV, MB, etc., are all necessary evils to the Japanese as far as they are concerned. I, too, am curious to see how this can be leveraged to benefit both the R1 and Japanese markets.

-Tofu
SinsI

PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2008 11:00 am Reply with quote
ikillchicken wrote:
Okay...maybe I'm just being thick here but how does this solve anything? How do they actually profit from this? I don't see any sort of mention of ad support or payment from those sites. Maybe they're just not explaining it here but if they don't actually have any way to make money off this it seems like a terrible idea to me. It's like a store with a shoplifting problem deciding to allow customers to shoplift as a solution. If they won't profit in any way from this then all they're going to do is encourage people to use free methods which, legal or not don't gain them a cent and then the already insufficient number of people that buy DVDs will further decrease. We might as well just stick with fansubs. At least them the companies aren't wasting money on this when fansubbers will do it for free.

Sorry if I'm being pessimistic here but I just don't see how this is any kind of solution.

Fansubs that are free were never a problem for anime companies(no matter what they say), just like books in libraries are not a problem for publishers.
The real problem are pirates that sell them and stream them, reducing the money customers can spend on legal anime.
Now that Gonzo is providing a legal alternative it's going to put a dent into their profits and thus return those money to the anime industry.
edzieba

PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2008 11:01 am Reply with quote
Tofusensei wrote:

According to fansubwiki (who are usually quite accurate and up-to-date), only one group intends to sub Druaga, and no-one for Blassreiter. Macross, Vampire Knight, Code Geass R2, and (surprisingly) To Love Ru, seem to have the lion's share of subbers this season.
houkoholic

PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2008 11:03 am Reply with quote
Tofusensei wrote:
I wonder who they contracted to to do the translations/subtitles.

As mentioned a litte earlier in the thread, at least for BOST they do their own translations.

Quote:

I just wish crunchyroll wasn't involved. It's such blatant hypocrisy for GONZO to support the world's #1 anime pirate site.

You're not the only one.

The best for people like us who still has a bad taste in the mouth in regards to crunchyroll is not give them more page views and tell others to do the same so they don't have more ammo to get more funding. Get the word out, tell others to go to the other two services, that's the best way to show support and not let the pirates win.
Unholy_Nny

PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2008 11:04 am Reply with quote
Goodpenguin wrote:
Key wrote:

Quote:
Given the titles involved, does anyone else think this sounds more like an experiment than a full-blown commitment? After all, would either of these shows be classified as "highly anticipated" by fans outside of Japan? This could just be a move by GDH to see if they can boost the popularity of a couple of marginal series while at the same time testing the simultaneous-release market, so I'll be more believing that it's a trend when I see a top-name title get treated the same way.

I wrote something similar in an earlier thread, and while I respect Tofusensei's opinion in regards to 'Druaga' being something fansubbers were eyeballing heavily, I still am inclined to agree with the gist of your sentiment. Especially in light of 'Druaga' also being streamed/simulcast heavily in Japan, and with a big MMO game tie-in.

I'll also agree with something ikillchicken wrote a few pages back, it's nice to see the industry move in ways fans have wished, but money's got to be made somewhere in this for the industry to see better days again. Just replacing 'unofficial' fansubs with 'official' fansubs, sans any deeper model than that, isn't really going to help the industry much.

I agree with everything this man wrote ^

Quote:
Fansubs that are free were never a problem for anime companies(no matter what they say), just like books in libraries are not a problem for publishers.
The real problem are pirates that sell them and stream them, reducing the money customers can spend on legal anime.
Now that Gonzo is providing a legal alternative it's going to put a dent into their profits and thus return those money to the anime industry.

This man is in denial ^

(Sorry if you're not of the male gender, I'm using "man" in the same way I'd use the word "dude")

In seriousness, I'll be watching this over BOST. You Tube is meh, and Crunchy Roll can burn in hell.
Goodpenguin

PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2008 11:15 am Reply with quote
Tofusensei wrote:

Quote:
The R1 industry is going to need to prove its value to the Japanese if they don't want to see their revenues and role decline. Funi, ADV, MB, etc., are all necessary evils to the Japanese as far as they are concerned. I, too, am curious to see how this can be leveraged to benefit both the R1 and Japanese markets.

I'm not sure this is a situation of traditional R1 partners having to 'prove' their value, the Japanese anime industry is already heavily dependent on NA income. Even with DVD sales declining, the physical (DVD) licensing model is a 'known', proven commodity, internet ad revenue is not.

Important to keep in mind we only have the actions of GDH and the words of Kadokawa reps so far, but in general the R1 licensor's have been hunting to combine digital and physical distribution rights, only to be rebuffed by the Japanese licensee's. As talked about in earlier threads, with (some) Japanese licensee's jumping into digital distribution with a third-party, that can prove to be detrimental to the value of physical (DVD) license contracts. Can the Japanese afford that? Internet streaming/downloads on it's own is no 'magic bullet', consistent income has to be made to keep a very expensive production cycle chugging along, and in that end the Japanese need R1 licensor's just as much as the R1 licensor's need them. Will 'splitting' digital distribution and physical distribution prove a success or mistake, I guess we'll see.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 5 of 9