• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Hey, Answerman! [2008-08-08]

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Cicatriz

PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2008 7:34 pm Reply with quote
Dargonxtc wrote:
01N10A01N wrote:
The plain truth is that Anime is still twice as expensive in most cases to acquire than domestic series. This is better than where it was 10 years ago where 2 to 3 episodes would run you 22- 30 dollars. Or a season of Ranma 1/2 would cost you over $200.
(underscore added)

This is a point that people make quite often. And it is pretty much true, except it kinda grinds my gears that people have to go back ten years to make it. Hell, go back two years(probably the minimum amount of time to compare anything correctly in the entertainment business), and tell me we aren't leaps and bounds above the pricing schemes we had then. Anyone who has been into anime more than recently can certainly account for this. I would say that over the last four years, not including this one, anime has dropped on average about 10% a year in price. With this last year anime prices falling even more than that most likely. Anime is no longer expensive. You can find 125 minute plus anime DVD for about $18 on a regular basis, which will probably cost you less than a 100 minute special edition Hollywood movie. Pretty darn good for an import. I don't know how much more we can expect the industry to drop in price.

Actually, I think prices have been going up lately. I used to be able to find DVDs for $12 all the time, especially from ADV. I know that's how much I paid for the first few DVDs of Kaleido Star: New Wings and the last few Princess Nine DVDs. Now, the cheapest I see a single volume of anime for is $19.99, I see $29.99 more often which is what box sets cost a few years ago. Now I see box sets going for $45 or more, a good amount going for $60. Not saying that $45 is a ton to pay, but when there's nothing too terribly good on the market [which I think is a problem that R1 Industries are facing- Nothing good is even coming out in Japan and when something does, they license it too late and miss the wave of fans.] I'm not willing to waste $45 on something I'll probably watch once.
doctordoom85

PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2008 9:52 pm Reply with quote
Cicatriz wrote:
I see $29.99 more often which is what box sets cost a few years ago. Now I see box sets going for $45 or more, a good amount going for $60. Not saying that $45 is a ton to pay, but when there's nothing too terribly good on the market [which I think is a problem that R1 Industries are facing- Nothing good is even coming out in Japan and when something does, they license it too late and miss the wave of fans.] I'm not willing to waste $45 on something I'll probably watch once.

-$30 boxsets were out a few years ago? Where in the world were you shopping?! The cheapest ones I ever saw was the $40 "Anime Legends" Bandai boxsets.

-quality of anime is subjective. Personally, I think the ratio of "Good to bad" is the same as it always was.

-well, there's always the "rental" option.
Cicatriz

PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2008 11:51 pm Reply with quote
doctordoom85 wrote:
Cicatriz wrote:
I see $29.99 more often which is what box sets cost a few years ago. Now I see box sets going for $45 or more, a good amount going for $60. Not saying that $45 is a ton to pay, but when there's nothing too terribly good on the market [which I think is a problem that R1 Industries are facing- Nothing good is even coming out in Japan and when something does, they license it too late and miss the wave of fans.] I'm not willing to waste $45 on something I'll probably watch once.

-$30 boxsets were out a few years ago? Where in the world were you shopping?! The cheapest ones I ever saw was the $40 "Anime Legends" Bandai boxsets.

-quality of anime is subjective. Personally, I think the ratio of "Good to bad" is the same as it always was.

-well, there's always the "rental" option.

Best Buy. My Pretear Boxset was $20 and my Kaleido Star Boxset was $30. Each season of MKR was $35 at Walden Books. Key the Metal Idol was $30-ish too at Suncoast.

I can't think of anything that has come out this year that has gained a huge fan following. I guess 'good' isn't the right word, more like 'popular'. No anime in America right now has the same following that Pokemon, Yugioh, Sailor Moon, etc. had. Naruto should have gotten it, but I think it was licensed too late.
grgspunk

PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2008 1:41 am Reply with quote
In regards to the "moe" question, I'm a bit skeptical as to whether this moe love/hate thing is indicative of a majority of fans' opinions, rather than a specific group trying to be more vocal than the other. I mean, do the anti-moe fans seem vocal because they're so plentiful or do anti-moe fans seem plentiful because they're so vocal? Same goes the other way: Do moe-loving fans seemvocal because they're so plentiful, or do moe-loving fans seem plentiful because they're so vocal?

To be honest, despite the perception that most western anime fans hating moe, the rate at which the number of niche, moe-style shows/games are released outside of Japan seems to be increasing compared to just a few years ago, even after the fall of Geneon. Seriously, I didn't even expect girly titles like Strike Witches or Arcana Heart to be localized outside of Japan. This probably indicates an increase in demand for moe in the international anime industry, which may then indicate an increase in the acceptance of the "moe" concept beyond Japan's borders. The fact that anti-moe fans have become more vocal and seemingly larger seems to be a natural reaction to it. Think about it: If a previously indifferent crowd of foreign anime fans begins to warm up to it, the foreign moe fanbase obviously increases, despite being considered as a "niche within a niche". This causes the fans who enjoy moe trend to become more vocal and try to spread the love, which then causes the fans who resent the moe trend to become increasingly vocal and try to spread the hate.

Although moe-loving fans may feel that every other fan hates what they love to see, there's also an opposite but equal sentiment amongst the anti-moe fans, where they feel that every other fan loves what they hate to see. I mean, why would foreign anti-moe fans even bother to raise their voices if they didn't feel that foreign pro-moe fans were gaining the lion's share of the international anime industry?
Anonymous099

PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2008 5:53 pm Reply with quote
I'm part of the anti-moe sentiment because it's a heavily used cop out for the industry. When an anime studio wants to make some quick cash they make a show staring really cute girls doing really cute things. Its the reason why I stopped watching anime altogether for several months; it seemed like moe heavy shows were the only thing being released. Too me, it looked like one cheap cash grab after another.

The same goes for anime that concentrate solely on fanservice.
PopcornHime

PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2008 8:21 pm Reply with quote
What's R1?
Cicatriz

PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2008 9:11 pm Reply with quote
PopcornHime wrote:
What's R1?

Region 1, it refers to the different regions on DVDs. Region 1 is the Region in North America.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dvd_region
01N10A01N

PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2008 9:56 pm Reply with quote
doctordoom85 wrote:

But that's simply ignorant of them, and here's why:

If that is their perception that is their perception.... Without a detailed market study, but knowing many consumers (An informal market study), that is the general perception I get from non-hardcore fans that watch their anime on AS, Sci-Fi, or IFC.

Quote:

1) The fanbase of a particular anime will be FAR smaller than the fanbase of most live-action shows on TV. Even hits like Naruto and Bleach will have trouble competing with sales of shows like LOST and Heroes.

If there is less demand then the price should be lower- That is how economics works in a free system...

Quote:

2) In terms of ANIMATION, anime is often CHEAPER than American cartoon DVDs. Buying 20 Avatar episodes in a boxset costs $50, or buying 22 Simpsons episodes costs $40, whereas you can get the majority of anime boxsets (which'll have 24-26 episodes) for $40.

Full price of the Simpson's seasons run about that and the Right Stuff Weekly special or 40% of sales run the latter. Compare sale price with sale price. Target's website sells Simpson Seasons for 25-30. As Target is run from Amazon we can compare prices here also. Full Metal Panic is listed on their website for $79.99 (You would be a fool to buy it from there at this moment as Right Stuff is selling it right now for 48.99).

Quote:

3) They have lowered the price, and quite a few shows are going straight to boxset (or getting boxsets released almost immediately after the singles are released, like Viz is doing), even short series like Ouran High School. Lowering the price/increasing the episode amount any further would most likely be financial suicide.

I agree on that... Several years ago it was $22 for 2 epsiodes. Then it was 29.99 for 3 episodes.

Quote:

4) Yes, TV shows go on sale, but so does anime. Best Buy will occasionally do an anime sale, FYE almost always has an anime sale going on, and most websites have sales every week.

Old TV shows go on sale at Wal-Mart for $5.50 a DVD in some cases the entire series goes on sale in the $14.99 bin.

Quote:

So as far as I can see it, the industry (or, brace yourselves, we fans could do it) simply needs to explain to the masses why anime pricing is where it is, and how it's actually cheaper than ever, unlike certain other entertainment (*cough* video games *cough*).

What they are doing isn't working.... What may work is this;

1. Very Quickly release R1 Sub only DVDs to the Mega-Fans for $16-$20 per DVD for most series (B rated). Series that are likely to have wide appeal (A rated) sell for a little more 20-25 per 4 episodes. Go after the fansubers but go after them by first trying to hire them to very quickly make subs- if they refuse take legal action. Get the DVDs out very fast- 6 mo's or so after the release in Japan. Get the DVDs out to the clubs and show a preview episode or two on their website. Pretty much what they do now but faster. (3 mo-1yr after airing in Japan)

2. Based on The Sub only sales further decide which will be licensed for TV channels as exclusives. Dub the shows that did moderately well and very well. License the shows that do very well on DVD sales for Biger$$. Syndicate the moderate selling shows, and shows that tank offer on Download services for $.99. (8 mo-18 mo after airing in Japan). Syndicate the old back catalogs.

3. After/or halfway through the TV run offer the shows on the download services for $1.99. (18-24 mo after airing in Japan)

4. Release the entire seasons in hybird after that for around $30-$40 or $20-$30 List price based on TV ratings. (24-30 mo after airing in Japan)

5. Syndicate the older shows after the boxset start declining. (3-5 years after airing in Japan)

6. Offer the 4 episode hybrid DVDs in the Walmart/ Target 5.50-7.50 bins. (5+ years)

No guarantees that would work.... but it is worth trying.
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2008 3:42 am Reply with quote
01N10A01N wrote:
Quote:
1) The fanbase of a particular anime will be FAR smaller than the fanbase of most live-action shows on TV. Even hits like Naruto and Bleach will have trouble competing with sales of shows like LOST and Heroes.

If there is less demand then the price should be lower- That is how economics works in a free system...

I agree with your point overall. However, on this one point I must disagree. Price is determined by where the curve of quantity demanded vs price meets the curve of quantity supplied vs price. However, with something like anime it gets complicated. The curve of quantity supplied is essentially irrelevant because the cost of producing individual units is minor. The vast bulk of the cost is the fixed one of creating the material in the first place. Therefore, price becomes much more complex to determine. In actuality, price can often be forced higher to compensate for a smaller audience.
01N10A01N

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2008 7:12 am Reply with quote
ikillchicken wrote:

I agree with your point overall. However, on this one point I must disagree. Price is determined by where the curve of quantity demanded vs price meets the curve of quantity supplied vs price. However, with something like anime it gets complicated. The curve of quantity supplied is essentially irrelevant because the cost of producing individual units is minor. The vast bulk of the cost is the fixed one of creating the material in the first place. Therefore, price becomes much more complex to determine. In actuality, price can often be forced higher to compensate for a smaller audience.

R1 companies don't pay the production price. Their costs are licensing the show, subing the show, dubing the show, (In the case of DVDs) pressing the disks, distribution, marketing, etc.

License costs went up, in part, because the competition to license titles drove it up. I suspect that several R1 companies licensed shows that barely broke even, or even lost some cash.

Any show that has stopped selling or has low sales is money not earned to go against the licensing costs for new shows/profits. Digital downloads have a very low fixed cost per copy. Digital downloads or syndication would derive some income if the price was low enough to the buyer. $1 more in income is better than $0 more. Shows like UY , Scrapped Princess, the original Dragon Ball, Remi, Lian, Haibane Renme, Trigun, Nadia, Saber Marionette, Etc would have some value to Independent/loosely affiliated stations Eg; all the old UPN stations or WB stations that became MyTV stations, if the price was right. What Colours and Funimation did wasn't very smart- air about 1.5 months of content over and over again for about two years.
Son-kun

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2008 10:00 pm Reply with quote
Speaking of anime musicals wasn't there a Bleach and HunterXHunter one from sometime ago over in Japan?
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2008 2:11 am Reply with quote
01N10A01N wrote:
ikillchicken wrote:

R1 companies don't pay the production price. Their costs are licensing the show, subing the show, dubing the show, (In the case of DVDs) pressing the disks, distribution, marketing, etc.

License costs went up, in part, because the competition to license titles drove it up. I suspect that several R1 companies licensed shows that barely broke even, or even lost some cash.

Any show that has stopped selling or has low sales is money not earned to go against the licensing costs for new shows/profits. Digital downloads have a very low fixed cost per copy. Digital downloads or syndication would derive some income if the price was low enough to the buyer. $1 more in income is better than $0 more. Shows like UY , Scrapped Princess, the original Dragon Ball, Remi, Lian, Haibane Renme, Trigun, Nadia, Saber Marionette, Etc would have some value to Independent/loosely affiliated stations Eg; all the old UPN stations or WB stations that became MyTV stations, if the price was right. What Colours and Funimation did wasn't very smart- air about 1.5 months of content over and over again for about two years.

Yeah...what does any of that have to do with what I said? Again, I don't disagree with your point overall. Digital distribution is definitely a good idea. I only disagree with your assertion that a smaller audience should mean a smaller price.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Page 5 of 5