• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Shelf Life - From Me to Yu

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
eyeresist

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2012 5:08 am Reply with quote
Ingraman wrote:
I went Google searching for some words about the rape scene from Carl Horn, and found this post to rec.arts.anime from long, long ago. This post looks pretty good, too. Heck, there's even this post from Neil Nadelman that explains where the name 'Honneamise' comes from (within the story of the film). I'll call it quits with this post written by Carl Horn, replying to someone who said that it "was one of the worst films I've ever seen."

I don't want to get into a whole thing, so I'll just say I don't buy his proselytising. In order to justify the inconsistencies, he reads a huge amount of stuff into the movie that just isn't there on screen. It reminds me of all that wacky theorising about EVA that was so prevalent before Anno admitted he just used the symbology to make the show look cool. But thanks for going to the trouble.
Cheesecracker

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2012 12:45 pm Reply with quote
Mr Popularity here.
God...

this might be my last post ever just because I feel this might just top all my previous attempts to address a difficult topic...poorly.

I said "might".

The rape scene did not come out of nowhere.

It comes out of the long dark and most likely permanent fact of (human) existence.

It's not like I saw it coming, but that's the nature of the beast. Assuming that anyone is acting or looking like the type *or not* like the type. Is just wishful thinking and prejudice. Thinking along those lines just lets some people under the radar and pre-loads guilt on others. It's often an unpredictable betrayal. What? He seemed like a nice guy? She was asking for it?

Still, in hind site, what reason is there to think it wouldn't happen? He zeros in this one girl follows her home and hovers around her til he makes his move.

More than anything I think it's just an illustration of a sad truth. Her reaction is just another layer to it.

In a Rorschach kind of way I'm glad I didn't see it coming. That my mind does not work that way.
Maize Hughes

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2012 7:05 pm Reply with quote
Dr Grant Swinger wrote:

Ah, thank you for the clarification. I confess I assumed that non-premium editions were guaranteed so it is good to know that is not necessarily the case.

Thank you very much Blood- & Dr Grant Swinger! That is very helpful, and gives me some possible futures to weigh.

MH
agila61

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2012 9:55 am Reply with quote
eyeresist wrote:
I used "banal" in the sense of "dull, uninspired, without great significance".

Aha, you used banal in the the sense of some other word meaning something else, some word that is the opposite of "significant" ~ shallow, perhaps.

After all, novelty is not automatically significant, and a lot of novelty turns out to be rather empty, with nothing but novelty to recommend it, so that once the novelty wears off there's nothing else there, aka the "Flock of Seagulls Effect". Its not surprising if those trying to avoid being banal find it easier to arrive at a shallow novelty than at something profound.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2012 11:09 pm Reply with quote
Coincidentally, I just happened to have watched Royal Space Force this weekend. What a feast for the eyes. Yeah, I don't really know what to make of the spoiler[attempted rape scene and the bizarre apology that followed] it other than to shrug my shoulders and go, "Must be a Japanese thing."
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2012 12:58 am Reply with quote
I find that Japanese social inhibition in total is "on the spectrum" in their culture, hense the way Sawako acts as if she was raised in a family of hikkimori's is really not that surprising. She's certainly not a "carnivore" like the rest of the pride of Japanese lionesses these days.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Page 5 of 5