• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Umineko - When They Cry (TV).

Goto page Previous  

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Shenl742

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2011 8:25 pm Reply with quote
Sort of related, but I just finished Episode 3 of the VN.

Oh Beatrice, spoiler[you so trollish]
ninjapet

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2011 8:02 am Reply with quote
In all truth the series is a complete mess anime or no anime. Knox and Van Dine must be rolling in their graves. spoiler[Or at least Dlanor and Will must be enjoying their holiday seeing as ep 8's TIPs state thats what they did after ]

Ep 1-4 you can solve the mystery though we will never know what happened on the "prime" gameboard. spoiler[The truth, what happens when the cat box is opened. We are only given hints as to what maybe the truth. Heck the real gameboard is just a mix of the ep 3 game and ep 7 game or so it's been implied ]

But the anime cuts any chance of a normal watcher being able to solve anything. Lack of clues, lack of everything really. It lacks heart ...
einhorn303

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2011 4:58 pm Reply with quote
Hikikomori Safari wrote:
Then the show loses itself, where I'm sure the visual novel most likely did a better job. Battler denying the existence of magic watches as his family is attacked by goat men, random lightsaber fights, and knives that turn in angry little girls. All this while repeating the incident over and over as he firmly denies all form of magic with a real witch in a magical realm. At the end of each arc battler simply seems to pose a stupid stance, point his finger at nothing and deny everything that has happened without any basis for doing so.

This is a common problem that anime-only viewers have with it. The thing is, you have to see all of the gameboards as a story that Beatrice (or other gamemasters) are telling. Or fake messages in bottles.

Battler and Beatrice are in the meta-world. Beatrice is showing him this tale as it unfolds. There's no proof that it's reality.

I think the real problem with adapting Umineko to anime is that people are better prepared to disbeleive something they read (text, like in the VN), but not something that see (anime). Only the things in Red text are "true." Everything in white text (ie, all the events of the anime, which is text in the visual novel), can just as easily be outright lies. And nothing magical is ever confirmed in Red.

Magic only works in Umineko if it can be accomplished with non-magical means...in other words, if you do it without magic and then tell a false story about it, claiming it was magic.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  
Page 41 of 41