• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Puella Magi Madoka Magica (TV + movies).

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Chagen46

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2012 9:47 pm Reply with quote
I can tell that Madoka has had a positive impact on me.

One of my stories (I'm a writer) became very Madoka-like when I changed the plot a little today. It starts off all bubbly and sweet....but it's actually holding a litany of dark secrets. Then again, the story was ALWAYS like that.

It's a deconstruction/subversion of fighting games: instead of fixing things with constant fighting, the main characters just end up f*cking everything up.
Animerican14

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2012 12:35 am Reply with quote
Quote:
One of my stories (I'm a writer) became very Madoka-like when I changed the plot a little today. It starts off all bubbly and sweet....but it's actually holding a litany of dark secrets. Then again, the story was ALWAYS like that.

It's a deconstruction/subversion of fighting games: instead of fixing things with constant fighting, the main characters just end up f*cking everything up.

I (somehow) haven't seen the movie yet, but don't the main characters of Fight Club kind of end up effing everything up as well, even though the whole thing might have started with better intentions? And also... where would this story end up in the first place? Being based around an inherently cartoonish subject like fighting games, I can't imagine it ending up as anything more literary than a light novel or online-fiction.

Hmm... surely there are quite a number of people now that are seeing Madoka on Hulu/Crackle/Crunchyroll for the first time, right? I know that there have been some like penguintruth that seemed to indicate elsewhere that they'd follow the series via legal streaming. It'd be cool to hear from you guys, considering that this thread has now apparently okayed as a forum for Madoka newbs and we've promised to use spoiler tags for stuff that have not yet been seen in the streams. (However-- I still really don't understand why there just couldn't have been a separate thread for the legal streams; I'd imagine that new viewers wouldn't come to a Madoka forum that already has over forty pages!) I don't know how much meaningful discussion could be had, but it'd certainly be interesting to hear some more fresh perspectives. And another thing... might even Zac be watching the streams...?

Ooh, something that I just have to comment on/slightly celebrate-- exactly a year ago, give or take a few days, I got my first real hard look at Madoka. As in, I saw the third episode (some weeks after seeing the first two) for the very first time several hours before my spring break's service trip, and then excitedly went straight through the following two or three episodes before forcing myself to go to sleep that early morning. Somehow, through a spotty and slow Wi-Fi connection at the camp, I was able to fully catch up to what was then episode 9. Jeez, that was a crazy-weird-intense week... spent too much time with the laptop on waiting for episodes to load, I did (and angsting over anime characters). Haven't been following any new series this season, so I shouldn't be doing that again this upcoming week.

So, where were you when you discovered episode 3 or otherwise jumped on the Madoka train?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Chagen46

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2012 11:23 am Reply with quote
Quote:
Being based around an inherently cartoonish subject like fighting games, I can't imagine it ending up as anything more literary than a light novel or online-fiction.

Actually, the original idea WAS a fighting game itself, just one with an emphasis on story. It went through a Madoka-like progression--Bright and cheery at first. Then the second game (it was a triology on my mind) happened.

I'll probably never get to make it, but hey, a man can dream, can't he?
Chagen46

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2012 10:15 pm Reply with quote
Gah, I wanna finish this show soon...but I won't for a while. A friend of mine finished it and said that it was amazing, but that shit doesn't really go down until episode 6.

I have a really cool idea for a fanfic of it, but I have to finish the show first, as the fic is a re-telling of the show's plot.

Well, a re-telling that diverges from canon by around episode 2, and one so radically different in tone from the show that most fans wouldn't like it anyway.
ChibiKangaroo

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2012 5:27 pm Reply with quote
I just finished the show (almost, fell asleep before the last 7 minutes or so) and I was pleasantly surprised by the depth and the twists on the magical girl genre. One thing that I wasn't totally pleased with though spoiler[was how Madoka's wish became kind of like a giant Deus ex Machina, reminiscent of the ending to the first season of Sailor Moon but not quite as super happy. I would have been more intrigued by her using her wish on something unexpected, like maybe wish that Kyuubey has emotions so he could feel the pain of the countless suffering he caused.]

That being said though, I really enjoyed the execution of the show and even the spoiler[time traveling aspect was very well done.] I hope they do another season.
Veers

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2012 5:34 pm Reply with quote
Hey, someone new!

ChibiKangaroo wrote:
I just finished the show (almost, fell asleep before the last 7 minutes or so)
Was this because you were bored or do you mean you were just up later than usual watching it?

Quote:
One thing that I wasn't totally pleased with though spoiler[was how Madoka's wish became kind of like a giant Deus ex Machina, reminiscent of the ending to the first season of Sailor Moon but not quite as super happy. I would have been more intrigued by her using her wish on something unexpected, like maybe wish that Kyuubey has emotions so he could feel the pain of the countless suffering he caused.]
I recommend you read back through some of the last few pages of this thread where some of us have discussed the ending in detail. You may gain a new perspective Smile
ChibiKangaroo

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2012 7:27 pm Reply with quote
Veers wrote:
Hey, someone new!

ChibiKangaroo wrote:
I just finished the show (almost, fell asleep before the last 7 minutes or so)
Was this because you were bored or do you mean you were just up later than usual watching it?

Quote:
One thing that I wasn't totally pleased with though spoiler[was how Madoka's wish became kind of like a giant Deus ex Machina, reminiscent of the ending to the first season of Sailor Moon but not quite as super happy. I would have been more intrigued by her using her wish on something unexpected, like maybe wish that Kyuubey has emotions so he could feel the pain of the countless suffering he caused.]
I recommend you read back through some of the last few pages of this thread where some of us have discussed the ending in detail. You may gain a new perspective Smile

Yea maybe I'll read back some. There's a lot to read! As far as me falling asleep though it was because I was watching the last 3 episodes back to back to back, and it was like 1:40 in the morning or something and I konked out lol.
Chagen46

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2012 7:30 pm Reply with quote
I am watching episode 8 right now and...wow, Sayaka has gone through more character development in 7 episodes than most anime characters do in their whole series.

Also, the OST is just plain amazing, as always. I need to find that song that plays when Sayaka is spoiler[going batshit insane while fighting that witch in Episode 7]. There's just so much....EMOTION in that one song. I haven't felt so much emotion from one song since Libera Me From Hell in TTGL.
ChibiKangaroo

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2012 9:17 am Reply with quote
Chagen46 wrote:
I am watching episode 8 right now and...wow, Sayaka has gone through more character development in 7 episodes than most anime characters do in their whole series.

Also, the OST is just plain amazing, as always. I need to find that song that plays when Sayaka is spoiler[going batshit insane while fighting that witch in Episode 7]. There's just so much....EMOTION in that one song. I haven't felt so much emotion from one song since Libera Me From Hell in TTGL.

I have enjoyed the soundtrack as well. I would rank the music very high though maybe right below my most recent favorites:

Higurashi no Naku Koro ni opening (probably my all time favorite)
Shikabane Hime opening
Rideback Opening
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2012 5:34 pm Reply with quote
I totally should have said this yesterday, but a couple people were started up easter threads here to no avail, and I realised I should have put this show, last year was the kind of ironic airing to the last episode. For some reason the idea of an Easter Kyubey sounds humorous.
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2012 6:43 pm Reply with quote
ChibiKangaroo wrote:
I just finished the show (almost, fell asleep before the last 7 minutes or so) and I was pleasantly surprised by the depth and the twists on the magical girl genre. One thing that I wasn't totally pleased with though spoiler[was how Madoka's wish became kind of like a giant Deus ex Machina, reminiscent of the ending to the first season of Sailor Moon but not quite as super happy. I would have been more intrigued by her using her wish on something unexpected, like maybe wish that Kyuubey has emotions so he could feel the pain of the countless suffering he caused.]

That being said though, I really enjoyed the execution of the show and even the spoiler[time traveling aspect was very well done.] I hope they do another season.

You have to understand the purpose of her wish.

spoiler[Madoka wasn't trying to punish Kyubey, she was trying to help her friends and other Magical Girls. She wanted them to keep their hopes and dreams, and not let them fall to despair and regret.

She only gets one wish and it had to be worded correctly to achieve what she wanted. I think she did a pretty good job of it.]
ChibiKangaroo

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2012 9:05 pm Reply with quote
TarsTarkas wrote:

spoiler[Madoka wasn't trying to punish Kyubey, she was trying to help her friends and other Magical Girls. She wanted them to keep their hopes and dreams, and not let them fall to despair and regret.

She only gets one wish and it had to be worded correctly to achieve what she wanted. I think she did a pretty good job of it.]

Yea I understood that that was the purpose of her wish, but I just thought it was a little too easy of an ending. It's the type of an ending that you would completely expect in a magical girl show. I had been really loving how they turned so many tropes from magical girl shows on their heads, but the ending seemed kind of like a reversion back to the status quo. That's not to say that I didn't enjoy the show, but I just wish the ending had been more innovative or unexpected.
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2012 9:54 pm Reply with quote
ChibiKangaroo wrote:
TarsTarkas wrote:

Yea I understood that that was the purpose of her wish, but I just thought it was a little too easy of an ending. It's the type of an ending that you would completely expect in a magical girl show. I had been really loving how they turned so many tropes from magical girl shows on their heads, but the ending seemed kind of like a reversion back to the status quo. That's not to say that I didn't enjoy the show, but I just wish the ending had been more innovative or unexpected.

Don't know what Magical Girls shows you have been watching, spoiler[but there was no return to status quo.

Magical Girls no longer turn into witches. They no longer have to watch their hopes and dreams turn into nightmares and death.

Didn't see it as an easy ending. Madoka sacrificed much to achieve the end result of her wish. Don't think Homura would say it was easy either.]
ChibiKangaroo

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2012 7:28 am Reply with quote
TarsTarkas wrote:

Chibikangaroo wrote:

Don't know what Magical Girls shows you have been watching, spoiler[but there was no return to status quo.

Magical Girls no longer turn into witches. They no longer have to watch their hopes and dreams turn into nightmares and death.

Didn't see it as an easy ending. Madoka sacrificed much to achieve the end result of her wish. Don't think Homura would say it was easy either.]

When I say status quo I mean the status quo of what usually happens in magical girl shows (and other similar genres). spoiler[ What usually happens is we get a build up to some kind of climax in the final episode where it appears that all hope is lost and the villain is about to win - usually all of the magical girl's companions/friends have either fallen or are trapped or have sacrificed themselves to power up the magical girl. Usually, there's some impending darkness covering the entire earth and everything has gone to hell. Then the magical girl uses some kind of special power she never knew she had or couldn't use till that moment which is uber-powerful, and all of the evil and suffering gets rolled back and/or she "re-sets" the universe, all of her companions come back to life and go back to living their lives and all seems right again until the next threat shows itself. ]

spoiler[I thought maybe it would be more interesting this time if the suffering and remaining problems didn't all get magicked away, and maybe after Madoka's wish, Homura and Kyuubey would have to figure out how to deal with "witch" Madoka and also handle the remaining issues.]
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2012 8:02 am Reply with quote
ChibiKangaroo wrote:
When I say status quo I mean the status quo of what usually happens in magical girl shows (and other similar genres). spoiler[ What usually happens is we get a build up to some kind of climax in the final episode where it appears that all hope is lost and the villain is about to win - usually all of the magical girl's companions/friends have either fallen or are trapped or have sacrificed themselves to power up the magical girl. Usually, there's some impending darkness covering the entire earth and everything has gone to hell. Then the magical girl uses some kind of special power she never knew she had or couldn't use till that moment which is uber-powerful, and all of the evil and suffering gets rolled back and/or she "re-sets" the universe, all of her companions come back to life and go back to living their lives and all seems right again until the next threat shows itself. ]

spoiler[I thought maybe it would be more interesting this time if the suffering and remaining problems didn't all get magicked away, and maybe after Madoka's wish, Homura and Kyuubey would have to figure out how to deal with "witch" Madoka and also handle the remaining issues.]

Differences being that the spoiler[wish thing] has been mentioned since the begining, many people got frustrated that it might not hapen. Episode 10 showed that it was pretty much a focus of the series, Homura spoiler[trying to stop Madoka from making the wish because of the darkness it creates.]It was well thought out as it fixes its own downside, which make itself infinite, we were shown the darkness that came from it, but arguable it would be far more cliche if it just ended with a fight.

And really again it was not a happy little status quo, the spoiler[entire universe was rewritten], Sayaka spoiler[still fell though with accepting her fate], almost no one spoiler[remembers Madoka]. Could question whether the battle of the series was with the darkness of the human soul (witches), or the spoiler[cold calculations] of Kyubey and friends, and what would have been gained by a single victory against either one.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 42 of 61