• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Puella Magi Madoka Magica (TV + movies).

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
GeminiDS85

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2012 3:03 pm Reply with quote
I adore instances of subtextual adumbration.

Veers

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2012 3:10 pm Reply with quote
Regarding the ending, again...

Mad_Scientist wrote:
spoiler[Homura's time travel and Madoka's wish may have resulted in multiple universes, or may have reset/altered the current universe. I actually think it was the latter, so I disagree with Veers here. But I don't think it matter much for the purpose of this particular discussion.]
You're right, it doesn't matter too much but the reason I see it like I described is, well, because that's how Kyubey and Madoka describe it. spoiler[Kyubey talks about parallel universes with Madoka and Homura being the connecting factors. He does say she "fought" against time, but basically I think the point was that time itself cannot really be rewound; what appears to be rewinding is only really "rewinding" for Homura and actually spins off another parallel universe and the one Homura just came from still exists, now without Homura but still otherwise in whatever state she left it in (generally, a very dire state! lol).]

If this weren't true, spoiler[then Kyubey's theory about Madoka's power was completely wrong, and I don't think the show intends to imply this because while Kyubey states it as a theory it is the only explanation the show gives and as such I think it was probably intended to be definitive. Madoka herself at the end also talks about being able to see multiple universe and timelines, and considering Madoka's respect for the efforts and hopes of magical girls, I don't see her as simply "restting" the universe, if she could help it.] Anyway, that's why I see it how I see it.

Also,
Quote:
spoiler[Homura retains her powers, as well as her memories. Why? Well, because the nature of her wish already made her an existence outside the normal flow of time and the universe. Homura's wish allowed her to reset time/go to a new universe where Madoka had never died. Regardless of which, she was suddenly in a place where Madoka had never died, thus, the reason she made her wish no longer existed.

And yet, she still had her powers, and her memories. Because that was required by her wish. Her wish wasn't just to go back in time. It was to be able to go back in time as someone who could protect Madoka, and to do that, she had to remember why Madoka needed protection in the first place, and she had to have powers so that she could actually protect her. Homura's wish made herself a being that could retain memories of previous timelines and maintain her powers as a magical girl even when the event that gave her those powers in the first place no longer occurred in the current timeline. ]
Thanks for articulating this for ChibiKangaroo et al. I wanted to but didn't have time to work it into my previous post.
Fencedude5609

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2012 3:19 pm Reply with quote
Veers wrote:

And finally there's the whole thing where, you know, Kyoko's spoiler[self-sacrifice is the climax of her character development, the affirmation of their friendship ("greater love has no man than he lay down his life for his friend") AND an important foreshadowing of Madoka's wish.] In a way this may be the most important reason from the narrative standpoint (while the first two answer the question from a character standpoint).

I would also advise people to check the lyrics for and I'm home, its quite relevant to Kyouko and Sayaka's relationship.
ChibiKangaroo

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2012 3:22 pm Reply with quote
Mad_Scientist wrote:

If what you say is true, why is that a bad thing. It was stated by Kyuubi quite a while ago that Madoka's potential was so great that she might be able to do things like alter the very laws of the universe or become an all powerful goddess. So, why is spoiler[Madoka's wish doing something quite like that a dues ex machina?]

I don't think him hinting at the possibility totally fixes the problem of deus ex machina. It would be like if in the movie Titanic, one of the characters said that Leonardo de Caprio's character might suddenly become godlike and lift the ship out of the water and carry it to safety, and then if it actually happened people would simply say "Well, they indicated it might happen so, it's not a bad plot device." Just because the writers hint at something doesn't mean that it is a good thing to do story wise. Also, I said before, it's not that I found the ending offensive in some way, I just thought it was too easy, too safe, and something that is totally expected in a magical girl show. spoiler[ i.e. all comrades who were tragically killed or defeated come back to life, memories are wiped, and the earth-ending crisis is avoided at the last second by some sudden god-like power of the protagonist. The mere fact that this time around the writers hinted beforehand that Madoka might gain that god-like power doesn't make it suddenly new and innovative in the genre.] I think the rest of the show was innovative, and the ending fell short of the expectations built up from that innovation.

Quote:

spoiler[The main cast are still magical girls, and some of them still know each other, because Magical girls still exist, they just work a bit differently now. Regardless, the people with both the potential and the desire to be Magical Girls are going to pretty much be the same people as before. Sayaka is still going to want to heal her friend, whether or not there are Witches to fight or not.]

I don't see how you can make this point while disregarding my point about spoiler[ Mami still being killed by a demon thing. You are saying here that everything would occur the same but just with demons rather than witches, but when I make the point about Mami dying you say "well maybe that would be different." ]

Quote:

spoiler[Homura retains her powers, as well as her memories. Why? Well, because the nature of her wish already made her an existence outside the normal flow of time and the universe. Homura's wish allowed her to reset time/go to a new universe where Madoka had never died. Regardless of which, she was suddenly in a place where Madoka had never died, thus, the reason she made her wish no longer existed.

And yet, she still had her powers, and her memories. Because that was required by her wish. Her wish wasn't just to go back in time. It was to be able to go back in time as someone who could protect Madoka, and to do that, she had to remember why Madoka needed protection in the first place, and she had to have powers so that she could actually protect her. Homura's wish made herself a being that could retain memories of previous timelines and maintain her powers as a magical girl even when the event that gave her those powers in the first place no longer occurred in the current timeline.]

There is good reasoning here but it still doesn't work. spoiler[ Homura's wish was born from Madoka's death at the hands of Walpurgis Night and her desire to protect her. However, remember that Homura never actually "saves" Madoka, she simply tries to keep Madoka from becoming a magical girl again and again, so Homura's wish is never actually completed in a manner which would cause an infinite time loop. (even when she and madoka kill Walpurgis Night, Madoka becomes a witch so she has to go back again). Thus, there is never an event which occurs which would cause Homura's wish to be nixed, EXCEPT Madoka's wish. Yes, Homura does exist outside of normal time to a certain degree because of her wish, but only so long as her wish is necessary to try to protect Madoka. Homura's wish can't cancel itself as long as Madoka is in danger of being killed by a witch or turn into a witch, and those two factors are present throughout the series until Madoka makes her own wish. Thus, Homura's wish should cancel once Madoka makes her wish. This was my point.]

Quote:
spoiler[And so, perhaps with a little extra help from Madoka, Homura retained her memories even in the new universe Madoka created.]

This I could accept, but again, it would be something unexplained and unexpected. If spoiler[ Madoka's god-like powers allowed her to specifically remove Homura from having her own wish nixed and place her back on Earth with her memories intact,] then that is what happened, but to me that is at a minimum somewhere in the realm of deus ex machina.

Quote:
Huh? I'm not sure what you're trying to say.spoiler[ Just because Magical Girls exist and fight majuu doesn't mean that every battle is going to go exactly how it did when they fought Witches. That makes no sense. Even when they fought the same Witches over and over again thanks to Homura's time travel, the battles sometimes went differently, so why would it be the same when they were fighting rather different beings?]

Addressed this above. You aren't being fair if you say things will happen the same in one aspect, but won't happen the same in another... unless, again, spoiler[ this is an unexpected outcome of Madoka's god-like powers.]

Quote:

spoiler[I'm not sure exactly what you're trying to say that, but... how do you know there aren't a crapload more Magical Girls? But actually, there shouldn't be a ton more, because Madoka's wish doesn't mean "Magical Girl who falls into despair and would normally turn into a Witch doesn't, instead she lives on and has a long life." It means "Magicial Girl who falls into despair and would normally turn into a Witch doesn't, instead Madoka takes on the corruption and the girl disappears."]

I thought the old method was spoiler[ they turn into a witch once they run out of grief seeds that they gathered from witches. So that would by its nature ensure that there would be a steady stream of girls becoming witches and similar influx of new girls to fight the witches. However, if they no longer need the grief seeds just to survive, it seems likely that there would be a ton more of them still alive.]
Quote:

This is where a common misunderstanding of dues ex machina comes into play. A dues ex machina, despite it's name, does not mean "a godlike power solves the problem." It means a case where a power (godlike or otherwise), character, tool, etc, that was never established or hinted at in the story beforehand solves a problem. A dues ex machina doesn't have to even involve anything particularly godlike, the basic idea is that it's something that comes from nowhere and couldn't have been predicted beforehand.

From dictionary.com:
Deus ex machina
1. (in ancient Greek and Roman drama) a god introduced into a play to resolve the entanglements of the plot.
2. any artificial or improbable device resolving the difficulties of a plot.

I don't think the definition requires that it be something that was never hinted at or comes from completely out of nowhere, although those are probably common versions of it. It seems to me like its more just about #2 above.

Last edited by ChibiKangaroo on Thu Apr 12, 2012 3:33 pm; edited 2 times in total
Fencedude5609

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2012 3:26 pm Reply with quote
Veers wrote:

Quote:

And yet, she still had her powers, and her memories. Because that was required by her wish. Her wish wasn't just to go back in time. It was to be able to go back in time as someone who could protect Madoka, and to do that, she had to remember why Madoka needed protection in the first place, and she had to have powers so that she could actually protect her. Homura's wish made herself a being that could retain memories of previous timelines and maintain her powers as a magical girl even when the event that gave her those powers in the first place no longer occurred in the current timeline. ]
Thanks for articulating this for ChibiKangaroo et al. I wanted to but didn't have time to work it into my previous post.

It is worth noting that Homura's powers have changed after spoiler[Madoka's wish. The general theory is she no longer has time manipulation, instead has the bow and angel wings.

I think the best explanation for Homura after Madoka's wish is "Madokami did it"]
Fencedude5609

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2012 3:38 pm Reply with quote
(I'm going to chop your stuff down for space reasons, 'k?)

ChibiKangaroo wrote:
I think the rest of the show was innovative, and the ending fell short of the expectations built up from that innovation.

The entire show was building to "Madoka Makes Her Wish". It had been repeatedly stated by Kyuubey that Madoka had enough power to become a goddess if she wished to. spoiler[And she did. So what is the problem, precisely? They basically beat us over the head with the possibility]

Quote:

[spoiler]I don't see how you can make this point while disregarding my point about spoiler[ Mami still being killed by a demon thing. You are saying here that everything would occur the same but just with demons rather than witches, but when I make the point about Mami dying you say "well maybe that would be different." ]

Ah, I see the problem here, you are unaware of certain important details. For one spoiler[Mami is not always killed by Charlotte. In fact, in the timeline depicted in Mahou Shoujo Oriko Magica Mami rather effortlessly defeats Charlotte, since the event plays out differently from how it did in the timeline shown in the anime. And in fact the anime makes it clear that on several occasions Mami lives all the way till Walpurgisnacht. So there is no reason why the Demons would kill her in the new timeline. Sure, it could have happened, but there is no reason why it has to.

Quote:

spoiler[Homura retains her powers, as well as her memories. Why? ]

spoiler[Several reasons, as have been addressed. But perhaps the best explanation is just that Homura, due to who she is and the nature of her magic, stands outside time, even if just a little. Her magic is different now, seemingly no longer working on Time Manipulation]

Quote:
This I could accept, but again, it would be something unexplained and unexpected. If spoiler[ Madoka's god-like powers allowed her to specifically remove Homura from having her own wish nixed and place her back on Earth with her memories intact,] then that is what happened, but to me that is at a minimum somewhere in the realm of deus ex machina.

That doesn't follow at all.

Quote:

Addressed this above. You aren't being fair if you say things will happen the same in one aspect, but won't happen the same in another... unless, again, spoiler[ this is an unexpected outcome of Madoka's god-like powers.]

You are mixing up concepts. Homura is a unique existence, what applies to her does not necessarily apply to anyone else.

Quote:

I thought the old method was spoiler[ they turn into a witch once they run out of grief seeds that they gathered from witches. So that would by its nature ensure that there would be a steady stream of girls becoming witches and similar influx of new girls to fight the witches. However, if they no longer need the grief seeds just to survive, it seems likely that there would be a ton more of them still alive.]

You seem to have a fundamental misunderstanding of how the new universe works. Madoka's wish did one thing spoiler[, it removed Witches. EVERYTHING ELSE is the same. Girls still become magical girls by making contracts with the Incubators, but due to Madoka's intervention, they no longer turn into Witches. To account for the loss of Witches, the new universe has "Majuu" ("Demons"), which instead of being the concentration of the grief of a single magical girl, are instead generated by the collective grief of humanity. When destroyed the demons drop small cubes (generally called "Grief Cubes" or "Remnants") which serve the same purpose as Grief Seeds, they draw the corruption out of the Soul Gem of Magical Girls. Hell, you can see Homura using them for this purpose at the end of the anime!]

Quote:

From dictionary.com:
Deus ex machina
1. (in ancient Greek and Roman drama) a god introduced into a play to resolve the entanglements of the plot.

I don't think the definition requires that it be something that was never hinted at or comes from completely out of nowhere, although those are probably common versions of it. It seems to me like its more just about #2 above.

And what happened at the end was not artificial or improbable, by the rules established for that universe]
Mad_Scientist
Subscriber

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2012 3:51 pm Reply with quote
EDIT: For the benefit of anyone trying to read this thread with only knowledge of the crunchyroll broadcast/aniplex release, I am going to add BEWARE ENDING SPOILERS to all my posts. So you have been warned now.

@Veers I'll wait to comment on your theory regarding timelines till I re-watch the last episodes on crunchyroll with the official translation.

ChibiKangaroo wrote:
Mad_Scientist wrote:

If what you say is true, why is that a bad thing. It was stated by Kyuubi quite a while ago that Madoka's potential was so great that she might be able to do things like alter the very laws of the universe or become an all powerful goddess. So, why is spoiler[Madoka's wish doing something quite like that a dues ex machina?]

I don't think him hinting at the possibility totally fixes the problem of deus ex machina. It would be like if in the movie Titanic, one of the characters said that Leonardo de Caprio's character might suddenly become godlike and lift the ship out of the water and carry it to safety, and then if it actually happened people would simply say "Well, they indicated it might happen so, it's not a bad plot device." Just because the writers hint at something doesn't mean that it is a good thing to do story wise. Also, I said before, it's not that I found the ending offensive in some way, I just thought it was too easy, too safe, and something that is totally expected in a magical girl show. spoiler[ i.e. all comrades who were tragically killed or defeated come back to life, memories are wiped, and the earth-ending crisis is avoided at the last second by some sudden god-like power of the protagonist. The mere fact that this time around the writers hinted beforehand that Madoka might gain that god-like power doesn't make it suddenly new and innovative in the genre.] I think the rest of the show was innovative, and the ending fell short of the expectations built up from that innovation.

No, it's totally different than your Titanic example. Titanic is (at least hypothetically) a historical movie set in the real world where magic and the like do not exist. Madoka Magica is a supernatural fantasy where magic and miracles are core parts of it's premise.

Quote:
Quote:

spoiler[The main cast are still magical girls, and some of them still know each other, because Magical girls still exist, they just work a bit differently now. Regardless, the people with both the potential and the desire to be Magical Girls are going to pretty much be the same people as before. Sayaka is still going to want to heal her friend, whether or not there are Witches to fight or not.]

I don't see how you can make this point while disregarding my point about spoiler[ Mami still being killed by a demon thing. You are saying here that everything would occur the same but just with demons rather than witches, but when I make the point about Mami dying you say "well maybe that would be different." ]

My point was that a lot of similar events will occur, but things won't be automatically identical to what they were before. Afterall, we see that the relationships between the Magical Girls in the new timeline aren't all exactly the same as they were in the last timeline, just that they happen to know each other.

Quote:
Quote:

And yet, she still had her powers, and her memories. Because that was required by her wish. Her wish wasn't just to go back in time. It was to be able to go back in time as someone who could protect Madoka, and to do that, she had to remember why Madoka needed protection in the first place, and she had to have powers so that she could actually protect her. Homura's wish made herself a being that could retain memories of previous timelines and maintain her powers as a magical girl even when the event that gave her those powers in the first place no longer occurred in the current timeline.]

There is good reasoning here but it still doesn't work. spoiler[ Homura's wish was born from Madoka's death at the hands of Walpurgis Night and her desire to protect her. However, remember that Homura never actually "saves" Madoka, she simply tries to keep Madoka from becoming a magical girl again and again, so Homura's wish is never actually completed in a manner which would cause an infinite time loop. (even when she and madoka kill Walpurgis Night, Madoka becomes a witch so she has to go back again). Thus, there is never an event which occurs which would cause Homura's wish to be nixed, EXCEPT Madoka's wish. Yes, Homura does exist outside of normal time to a certain degree because of her wish, but only so long as her wish is necessary to try to protect Madoka. Homura's wish can't cancel itself as long as Madoka is in danger of being killed by a witch or turn into a witch, and those two factors are present throughout the series until Madoka makes her own wish. Thus, Homura's wish should cancel once Madoka makes her wish. This was my point.]

Wait, since when do wishes get "canceled" out or anything like that?

Let's say that, for example, instead of wishing to heal Kyosuke, Sayaka had wished "to gain the power to heal incurable injuries, so that I can heal Kyosuke."

Now, after doing this and using her powers to heal Kyosuke, do you believe that Sayaka would automatically lose all her healing powers?

Homura is somewhat unique compared to some Magical girls, in that she wished to have certain powers in order to be able to accomplish a specific goal, but I see no reason why succeeding in accomplishing that goal (if you even count the ending as such a thing) would automatically remove her powers.

Quote:
Quote:
spoiler[And so, perhaps with a little extra help from Madoka, Homura retained her memories even in the new universe Madoka created.]

Once again, I'm not sure where you're getting this whole "wish nixing" thing.

Quote:
Quote:
Huh? I'm not sure what you're trying to say.spoiler[ Just because Magical Girls exist and fight majuu doesn't mean that every battle is going to go exactly how it did when they fought Witches. That makes no sense. Even when they fought the same Witches over and over again thanks to Homura's time travel, the battles sometimes went differently, so why would it be the same when they were fighting rather different beings?]

There's a difference between saying events will probably happen in a somewhat similar fashion, and saying every event will happen exactly the way it did before... especially since "the way it did before" has shown to vary. Consider that spoiler[Mami being killed by Charlotte was only seen in a single timeline, and we know for sure it didn't happen in many past timelines, but Mami interacting with Kyouko and Sakura was shown in multiple previous timelines in episode 10.]

Quote:
Quote:

spoiler[I'm not sure exactly what you're trying to say that, but... how do you know there aren't a crapload more Magical Girls? But actually, there shouldn't be a ton more, because Madoka's wish doesn't mean "Magical Girl who falls into despair and would normally turn into a Witch doesn't, instead she lives on and has a long life." It means "Magicial Girl who falls into despair and would normally turn into a Witch doesn't, instead Madoka takes on the corruption and the girl disappears."]

spoiler[They seem to need to gather things from the new enemies now, which means they still have a danger of turning into Witches (or would if not for Madoka).]

Quote:
Quote:

This is where a common misunderstanding of dues ex machina comes into play. A dues ex machina, despite it's name, does not mean "a godlike power solves the problem." It means a case where a power (godlike or otherwise), character, tool, etc, that was never established or hinted at in the story beforehand solves a problem. A dues ex machina doesn't have to even involve anything particularly godlike, the basic idea is that it's something that comes from nowhere and couldn't have been predicted beforehand.

From dictionary.com:
Deus ex machina

Generally speaking, for it to be "artificial or improbable", it needs to be something that was not clearly established as one of the defining premises of the story.

Last edited by Mad_Scientist on Thu Apr 12, 2012 5:18 pm; edited 2 times in total
Veers

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2012 4:08 pm Reply with quote
More regarding the ending...

ChibiKangaroo wrote:
It would be like if in the movie Titanic, one of the characters said that Leonardo de Caprio's character might suddenly become godlike and lift the ship out of the water and carry it to safety, and then if it actually happened people would simply say "Well, they indicated it might happen so, it's not a bad plot device." Just because the writers hint at something doesn't mean that it is a good thing to do story wise.

Oh, come on, this is some absurd hyperbole. Madoka's fictional plot revolves around magic not a real historical event.

Quote:
Also, I said before, it's not that I found the ending offensive in some way, I just thought it was too easy, too safe, and something that is totally expected in a magical girl show.

In a way, I do agree with you on this. As early as episode three people were speculating the show would get the "Mai-Hime ending" treatment. I think that in a way how PMMM ends is actually a pretty clever compromise. It does, like you say, end with a nod to something "expected" but at the same time spoiler[if you really think about the end, it's still fairly bittersweet. The problems aren't all just magically solved, though the worst problems, at least as far as Madoka was concerned, were.]

Quote:
spoiler[Homura's wish was born from Madoka's death at the hands of Walpurgis Night and her desire to protect her. However, remember that Homura never actually "saves" Madoka, she simply tries to keep Madoka from becoming a magical girl again and again, so Homura's wish is never actually completed in a manner which would cause an infinite time loop. (even when she and madoka kill Walpurgis Night, Madoka becomes a witch so she has to go back again).] [...] Thus, Homura's wish should cancel once Madoka makes her wish. This was my point.

Homura's wish actually had nothing to do with preventing spoiler[Madoka from making a wish. Go back and watch the episode again. The goal of preventing Madoka from becoming a magical girl was Madoka's request after they were both already magical girls. Homura's wish was to protect Madoka instead of being weak so as to have Madoka protect her, not to prevent Madoka from becoming a magical girl. This is where the whole theory/meme/whatever of Homura being Madoka's prophet or guardian angel come from--after Madoka's wish, Homura can still have her wish be in effect because she still knows that Madoka still exists. In her own way, Homura can help protect Madoka by fighting majuu and spreading the word on how the system really works, to encourage the other magical girls to stay strong and not despair.]

Quote:
I thought the old method was spoiler[they turn into a witch once they run out of grief seeds that they gathered from witches. So that would by its nature ensure that there would be a steady stream of girls becoming witches and similar influx of new girls to fight the witches. However, if they no longer need the grief seeds just to survive, it seems likely that there would be a ton more of them still alive.]

The old method was EITHER spoiler[A) despair and/or other negative emotions depleted their life force and corrupt their Soul Gem into a Grief Seed, turning them into witches.] OR spoiler[B) they overuse their magical power which depletes their life force and they die.] At the end, the situation is EITHER spoiler[A) despair and/or other negative emotions depleted their life force and corrupt their Soul Gem into a Grief Seed, and Eternal Madokami intervenes, absorbs their Soul Gem, and the girl dies.] OR spoiler[B) they overuse their magical power which depletes their life force and they die.] They do still need a way to purify their soul gems--did you even watch the last scene of the show? spoiler[That's what Homura is doing--purifying her soul gem, but with fragments from the majuu instead of with a grief seed.] Now, all this means that the casualty rate may be lower (perhaps the majuu are not as fierce as the witches were), but it's not like they suddenly all live to be old magical grannies simply because spoiler[they no longer turn into witches.]

Mad_Scientist wrote:
@Veers I'll wait to comment on your theory regarding timelines till I re-watch the last episodes on crunchyroll with the official translation.
Alright. I'm pretty confident on this, though, is all, having spent so much time on the show's subtitles. ;)
ChibiKangaroo

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2012 4:22 pm Reply with quote
Will only go back over the biggest points in this post, these responses are getting too long lol.
Mad_Scientist wrote:

No, it's totally different than your Titanic example. Titanic is (at least hypothetically) a historical movie set in the real world where magic and the like do not exist. Madoka Magica is a supernatural fantasy where magic and miracles are core parts of it's premise.

I could use another example other than Titanic. I used that one simply because it was the first one that came to mind. Lets use another one. Say in Death Note, Ryuk had told Light at some point that maybe if Light ate a death note then just maybe he would become the god of the new world and all who opposed him would instantly die. Then say everything happens the same all the way up till the ending, then when he's about to lose he pulls out a Death Note and eats it and becomes the god of the new world, all his enemies die, and peace reigns throughout the land under his new order. I don't think many people would be satisfied with that ending, although some might.
Quote:

You might have forgot, but the discussion before was about spoiler[whether or not this was an alternate timeline/universe created by Madoka's wish or just an alteration of the current universe. The point I was making is that if it were an alternate timeline/universe, that would mean that the event which occurred to cause Homura to become a magical girl would never have happened due to Madoka's wish. Thus Homura would not be a magical girl. Thus, I was proving that its not an alternate timeline/universe. Then Veers or you, I forget who, said that if Madoka's wish could cancel Homura's wish, then that same logic would cause Homura's wish to cancel itself. Then I made my above argument to say that that is not the case. I know it gets confusing with such long posts lol.]

Quote:

Now, after doing this and using her powers to heal Kyosuke, do you believe that Sayaka would automatically lose all her healing powers?

Homura is somewhat unique compared to some Magical girls, in that she wished to have certain powers in order to be able to accomplish a specific goal, but I see no reason why succeeding in accomplishing that goal (if you even count the ending as such a thing) would automatically remove her powers.

My argument was always spoiler[ that only Madoka's wish would cancel Homura's in an alternate timeline/universe theory. Someone else introduced the idea of Homura's wish cancelling itself, and I was rebutting that based on the substance of the premise that it could cancel itself. Again, my main point is that I don't think that the final ending took place in an alternate timeline/universe, but that Madoka simply altered the current one. Homura's prior adventures on the other hand, I can accept those being alternate timelines.]

Quote:

see above

Quote:

Generally speaking, for it to be "artificial or improbable", it needs to be something that was not clearly established as one of the defining premises of the story.

I don't agree with that. Something can be both artificial and improbable even if it was firmly established in the story. These are not antonyms to "established" or "defining premise." Much of what happens in anime is improbable and artificial. Whether or not it works well is more based on execution.
Boomerang Flash

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2012 4:26 pm Reply with quote
Veers wrote:
Boomerang Flash wrote:
Two questions:

1. Is there some place besides Crunchyroll that's streaming this? Crunchyroll is only up to episode 9, slightly ahead of the DVD/BD release

1. Not now, no.

2. Yes, mostly. This page in particular though is mostly spillover from the discussion about the ending that was spillover from the volume 2 review talkback. This is still kinda the go-to thread for Madoka discussion, though, so if you want to discuss the streaming/homevideo release then go for it!

1. By "not now," does that mean I missed a more complete stream before, or is Crunchyroll the only official stream thus far?

2. Skimming some of the last few pages, I have to say that you are being rather... optimistic about how suitable this thread is or is likely to be for a viewer who's just following Crunchyroll or the optical releases. Perhaps it's just that small of a minority.
Veers

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2012 4:34 pm Reply with quote
Boomerang Flash,

1) The latter; you didn't miss anything.

2) Maybe so. Animerican14 wondered the same thing. Maybe I'm wrong but I don't think it's so much a case of this thread being ill suited as much as it is most people who are buying the physical releases already watched the show and discussed the show and moved on and now people watching it on CR for the first time are probably, well, discussing it on CR with their first-timer peers. I still think this thread could facilitate newcomers to the show (Chagen46 has not seen the ending yet, for example), it's just that right now the current discussion happens to be about the ending, so I'm just not sure how many of those people (who haven't watched the whole thing yet) are really hanging out on this forum and are aware of the thread.

Last edited by Veers on Thu Apr 12, 2012 4:35 pm; edited 1 time in total
Fencedude5609

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2012 4:35 pm Reply with quote
ChibiKangaroo wrote:

My argument was always spoiler[ that only Madoka's wish would cancel Homura's in an alternate timeline/universe theory. Someone else introduced the idea of Homura's wish cancelling itself, and I was rebutting that based on the substance of the premise that it could cancel itself. Again, my main point is that I don't think that the final ending took place in an alternate timeline/universe, but that Madoka simply altered the current one. Homura's prior adventures on the other hand, I can accept those being alternate timelines.]

So wait, this is ENTIRELY based on your (flawed, by the way) interpretation of how things should go, an interpretation I've seen exactly NOWHERE else ever (and consider how many pixels have been spilled in discussion of this show) and then complaining the show is not hewing to your interpretation? That makes no goddamn sense.

Homura spoiler[still has her powers and memories because its the exact same Homura as in every other timeline. She was PRESENT for Madoka becoming Madokami. She WITNESSED the destruction and rebirth of the universe (when Madoka destroyed Kriemhild Gretchen, creating a paradox that booted Madoka up to godhood) and was then returned to the normal universe. That is why Homura still has her memories and powers. ]

Quote:
I don't agree with that. Something can be both artificial and improbable even if it was firmly established in the story. These are not antonyms to "established" or "defining premise." Much of what happens in anime is improbable and artificial. Whether or not it works well is more based on execution.

This is still BS, as is your Death Note example above. The ENTIRE POINT of the show was for Madoka to make a wish. If her wish didn't resolve the central conflict, then she'd have no purpose as a character. Her wish was both brilliant in its simplicity, and profound in its implications.

spoiler[The new universe is not perfect, she did not bring everyone back to life (hint: Who is notably still dead?) and it is still a universe filled with suffering. But it is also now filled with hope. Magical Girls still fight and die, but they no longer fight and die in vain]
ChibiKangaroo

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2012 4:48 pm Reply with quote
Fencedude5609 wrote:
ChibiKangaroo wrote:

So wait, this is ENTIRELY based on your (flawed, by the way) interpretation of how things should go, an interpretation I've seen exactly NOWHERE else ever (and consider how many pixels have been spilled in discussion of this show) and then complaining the show is not hewing to your interpretation? That makes no goddamn sense.

I'm not sure what you are talking about here. What do you mean by "this is ENTIRELY based on"? That particular argument spoiler[about it not being an alternate timeline was based on my point that in an alternate timeline, Homura's reason for becoming a magical girl never would have happened. This is pretty simple in my opinion. If you disagree with that point then you can say so, but simply saying it "makes no goddamn sense" isn't very convincing. Tell me how in an alternate timeline Homura would have still witnessed Madoka being killed by a witch? There is no possibility of it happening if Madoka erased all witches. That's why I was saying that it makes more sense for the final event to be in the same timeline as the last one, but with alterations. Are you arguing against that or something else? ]

Quote:

Homura spoiler[still has her powers and memories because its the exact same Homura as in every other timeline. She was PRESENT for Madoka becoming Madokami. She WITNESSED the destruction and rebirth of the universe (when Madoka destroyed Kriemhild Gretchen, creating a paradox that booted Madoka up to godhood) and was then returned to the normal universe. That is why Homura still has her memories and powers. ]

This is all good and well, but the show doesn't explain why she was present and witnessed those things, if in fact this is an alternate timeline. Now, if you agree with me that it is not an alternate timeline, then maybe we could put that argument aside.
Fencedude5609

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2012 5:02 pm Reply with quote
ChibiKangaroo wrote:

I'm not sure what you are talking about here. What do you mean by "this is ENTIRELY based on"? That particular argument spoiler[about it not being an alternate timeline was based on my point that in an alternate timeline, Homura's reason for becoming a magical girl never would have happened. This is pretty simple in my opinion. If you disagree with that point then you can say so, but simply saying it "makes no goddamn sense" isn't very convincing. Tell me how in an alternate timeline Homura would have still witnessed Madoka being killed by a witch? There is no possibility of it happening if Madoka erased all witches. That's why I was saying that it makes more sense for the final event to be in the same timeline as the last one, but with alterations. Are you arguing against that or something else? ]

You are entirely correct that spoiler[the Homura of the new universe would not experience all of that. But its irrelevant because the Homura we're following did. Uncounted timelines ago. And its still the same Homura. This is a point you seem to be persistently missing]

Quote:

This is all good and well, but the show doesn't explain why she was present and witnessed those things, if in fact this is an alternate timeline. Now, if you agree with me that it is not an alternate timeline, then maybe we could put that argument aside.

So what? No, really. A show does not have to explain ever jot and tittle, Homura was there because...she was. Maybe Madoka wanted her there, maybe its a side effect of her time traveling magic, perhaps the universe needed an observer, maybe she was just there so we, the audience could witness it. Whatever the reason is, she was there. That is the important part.
[/spoiler]
Mad_Scientist
Subscriber

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2012 5:13 pm Reply with quote
EDIT: For the benefit of anyone trying to read this thread with only knowledge of the crunchyroll broadcast/aniplex release, I am going to add BEWARE ENDING SPOILERS to all my posts. So you have been warned now.

ChibiKangaroo wrote:
Will only go back over the biggest points in this post, these responses are getting too long lol.
Mad_Scientist wrote:

I could use another example other than Titanic. I used that one simply because it was the first one that came to mind. Lets use another one. Say in Death Note, Ryuk had told Light at some point that maybe if Light ate a death note then just maybe he would become the god of the new world and all who opposed him would instantly die. Then say everything happens the same all the way up till the ending, then when he's about to lose he pulls out a Death Note and eats it and becomes the god of the new world, all his enemies die, and peace reigns throughout the land under his new order. I don't think many people would be satisfied with that ending, although some might.

You're still using a silly example, because eating a Death Note has nothing to with the rest of the series, and in your example is just a throwaway line.

That is not the case in Madoka Magica. There is a clear progression of events leading up to spoiler[Madoka's wish.]

spoiler[First, we're introduced to Magical Girls and see that they can do many incredible things and have spectacular powers.

Then, we learn that they make their contract by making a wish, and that their wishes can create literal miracles.

Then we learn as early as episode 3 that Madoka has the potential to be an extremely powerful Magical Girl. This is mentioned multiple times in other episodes, and just how strong she is starts to become more clear, to the point where we learn that even Kyuubi doesn't know quite why her potential is so high. He states that she could go beyond miracles and alter the laws of the universe itself and make herself a goddess.

There are strong hints early on that Homura is a time traveler of some sort, and we finally learn that yes, she is. We learn that Homura, a "normal" Magical Girl, was still able to use her wish to either repeatedly alter all of reality and reset time, or branch off entire new universes. Someone who doesn't have Madoka's godlike potential was potentially birthing new universes or reseting the current one.

We finally learn the reason for Madoka's potential being so high, and we see that after 11 episodes, a show with the title (well, it's one of its titles) "Magical Girl Madoka Magica" still hasn't actually had Madoka become a Magical Girl, at least in the main timeline. With one episode left, she prepares to make her wish.]

spoiler[Now, tell me, would her making a wish like "Umn... please just make Sakura human again" or something minor like that, really make sense with the way the show was progressing? No. Everything was building up to Madoka making a major wish and changing things massively, and unlike all your examples with Death Note and Titanic, Madoka having the power to do this was not some out of place throwaway line. It was a huge part of the series and everything that led up to the ending.

The question was never whether Madoka would have the power to fix everything, but whether she would have the wisdom. Whether she could make a wish that would deal with things like her own future Witch form, somehow solve the current situation, and not have unintended unpleasant consequences. And I think the wish she used makes sense, and is a clever way to do all that.]

Quote:
Quote:

You might have forgot, but the discussion before was about spoiler[whether or not this was an alternate timeline/universe created by Madoka's wish or just an alteration of the current universe. The point I was making is that if it were an alternate timeline/universe, that would mean that the event which occurred to cause Homura to become a magical girl would never have happened due to Madoka's wish. Thus Homura would not be a magical girl. Thus, I was proving that its not an alternate timeline/universe. Then Veers or you, I forget who, said that if Madoka's wish could cancel Homura's wish, then that same logic would cause Homura's wish to cancel itself. Then I made my above argument to say that that is not the case. I know it gets confusing with such long posts lol.]
Quote:

Quote:

see above

I think I must have lost track of the flow of conversation some, then. To try to explain my view, as I see it, there are a few things to keep in mind with wishes and powers.

First, the wish is granted immediately, if possible. Then, the Magical Girl gains up to 3 variations of magic powers.

1) The "normal" sort of magic powers, some of which seem to be common to all Magical Girls, like the ability to track Witches. Others seem to be based on unknown factors such as personality or the like, for example, the reason Sayaka uses swords while Mami uses muskets.

2) The Magical Girl, at least sometimes, also gains powers related to the nature of their wish. These are NOT powers that they specifically wished for, they are simply powers that follow the theme of their wish. For example, Sayaka's ability to heal herself so strongly is because her wish was a healing wish. Homura's ability to stop time is becausespoiler[ her wish was related to time travel.]

3) And then finally, though this only applies in a few known cases, we get powers that are actually part of the wish itself, either through directly wishing to have a certain power, or through wishing to accomplish and/or be able to accomplish certain tasks. spoiler[Homura's ability to repeatedly reset time, retaining her powers and memories despite time being altered and/or the universe being born anew, is an example of this. Madoka existing outside of time is another, more indirect example of this, because she created something of a paradox with her wish. She wished to destroy her own Witch with her own hands, along with every Witch that would ever exist or ever had existed, for all of eternity, requires that she exist for all of eternity, and even exist after she logically shouldn't (when she destroys her own Witch).
]

In my opinion, the fact that spoiler[Homura still retains her memories in the new world has several possible explanations. For example, her ability to retain her memories through her own universe resets/new timeline creations was never stated to only apply when she is the one resetting time. And of course, Madoka is now pretty much a goddess with powers related to time and a close connection to Homura, so Madoka doing something is perfectly reasonable. Especailly since, as I showed above with power type number 2, Magical Girls often gain powers that aren't directly wished for, but are simply related to the theme of their wish.

In the end, the reason Homura retains her knowledge is not specifically stated, but it doesn't have to be. There are multiple perfectly valid explanations for it.]

Quote:
Quote:

By artificial or improbable, I mean based on the fictional universe the work takes place in, not the way the real world works. For something to be a dues ex machina in my view, it has to clash with the way the fictional world it exists in was set up, or clash with what has been revealed in the story so far.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 44 of 61