• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Sharing anime with your family?

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
farruinn

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2009 4:12 pm Reply with quote
doctordoom85 wrote:
Most "kids' series" really translate outside of Japan to "teen and up", and the anime/manga companies' ratings back that up.

Ah, I see. I misunderstood what you meant by "kids" - I took it to include teens. If you were excluding teens then the original statement makes more sense.
Aeria

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2009 4:56 pm Reply with quote
I think the thing with getting family into anime is that you need to pay enough attention to what they like that, and you need to pick something safe enough that they won't feel squicked. For example, I wouldn't show my mom Kannazuki no Miko just because she likes romance and isn't bothered by homosexual relationships; chances are she's gonna feel squicked anyways considering she's not used to such entertainment. I would, however, show her Spirited Away because it contains elements she enjoys; fantasy, character develpment, romance(...ish), and others that escape my mind.

My father is the type of person who constantly has A&E and TruTV on so I am obviously not gonna show him Ouran just because it has his kinda humor. If anything, I'll show him Death Note and Cowboy Bebop.

My older siblings already like anime and manga and got me into some of my earlier series... for example, my brother showed me Vandread and my sister let me watch Kare Kano (His and Her Circumstances) with her. My little half-brother however, has been into anime for a while and I've been exanding it by watching some older shows with him. He recently began Black Cat and finished Azumanga Daioh!, both of which he loves. He and I watched Haruhi together, and let's just say it's more often than naught that I wake up and he's watching it in my room because my TV is bigger than his.

My father's seen a few anime movies here and there, most noteably Armitage The III and Ghost in The Shell. He's also watched the Fullmetal Alchemist movie with my brothers and I as well as a few episodes of Detective Conan (Case Closed) on his own. I guess it's easier for him because he, in retrospect, is just a kid in an adult's body.

My mother is open to anime but generally won't watch anything unless she has a book at hand. I guess to make it look like she's watching but she's really reading. I tried getting her to watch xxxHOLiC the movie and Tsubasa the movie but to no avail. She found her bored housewife novels more interesting. It's such a shame since she got right on the Twilight bandwagon just because I said I liked Jacob. I am planning on showing her a Miyazaki film, however, and hopefully get her (and dad!) into Haruhi.

It's weird though, because both of my parents recognize anime titles and will often point them out to me when they're on television. Ah well. Just a matter of time...
doctordoom85

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2009 7:45 pm Reply with quote
farruinn wrote:
doctordoom85 wrote:
Most "kids' series" really translate outside of Japan to "teen and up", and the anime/manga companies' ratings back that up.

Ah, I see. I misunderstood what you meant by "kids" - I took it to include teens. If you were excluding teens then the original statement makes more sense.

Okay, I get it now. Thanks, I was a little confused myself. Glad we cleared that up. Smile
DieHardBleachFan

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2009 2:52 am Reply with quote
I've given up on trying to get my parents to watch anime. My dad has never shown a real "die-hard" interest in any of the shows I watch, but will occasionally catch a few scenes of whatever I'm watching at the time.

My mom hates it with a passion so that's a battle that I don't bother to fight because I know I won't win.

My brother likes it all right. He's not as big of a fan as I am, but he will watch a few shows with me. I introduced him to Bleach and Yu Yu Hakusho and he's hooked on those. I'm gradually trying to get him into other stuff as well. He's still pretty young, so I'm waiting until he's older to show him some others.
Richard J.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2009 8:19 pm Reply with quote
DieHardBleachFan wrote:
My mom hates it with a passion so that's a battle that I don't bother to fight because I know I won't win.
Why is that anyway? Every so often I come across posts from people with family or friends who really hate anime and the never mention why.
Loganator456

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2009 8:23 pm Reply with quote
Richard J. wrote:
DieHardBleachFan wrote:
Why is that anyway? Every so often I come across posts from people with family or friends who really hate anime and the never mention why.
Most of the time, they are just being either stupid or indignant.
JacobC
ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2009 8:27 pm Reply with quote
Richard J. wrote:
DieHardBleachFan wrote:

My best guess is that a lot of parents associate it with immaturity and antisocial behavior, because, as a generalization, otaku can be rife with both problems. "Why would an adult watch cartoons, or furthermore, be so dead-set on buying posters and plushies of said cartoons? Go play a bloody sport or go clothing shopping or something normal so I can tell you're sane!" Y'know?

That and the very idea of cartoons being made for an age group other than children is so bizarre to them, not to mention that merchandise and collecting it can become such a fandom, the very idea, that they just don't want to think about the foreign-ness of it all. We fear what we do not understand.
An1fr3ak

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2009 8:39 pm Reply with quote
JesuOtaku wrote:
Richard J. wrote:
DieHardBleachFan wrote:

My best guess is that a lot of parents associate it with immaturity and antisocial behavior, because, as a generalization, otaku can be rife with both problems. "Why would an adult watch cartoons, or furthermore, be so dead-set on buying posters and plushies of said cartoons? Go play a bloody sport or go clothing shopping or something normal so I can tell you're sane!" Y'know?

That and the very idea of cartoons being made for an age group other than children is so bizarre to them, not to mention that merchandise and collecting it can become such a fandom, the very idea, that they just don't want to think about the foreign-ness of it all. We fear what we do not understand.

Maybe that is true of some cases, but..., I do play sports, read books, work, watch 'normal movies and TV shows' etc etc. Hell, I get so completely plastered at some parties, you'd think i'm an alcoholic, not an An1fr3ak!!(I'm so witty, NOT) Yet here my father is, still hating anime, every bit as much as the last day. While he says I need to 'grow up,' and get rid of my 'addiction,' he also states how mature I am and how proud he is of me *blah blah blah,* so understandably, I have no clue where his hate for JAPANESE ANIMATION originates from. He loves watching TinTin and other such cartoons, so i'm baffled. Maybe some childhhood horror Laughing
GrinfilledCelt

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2009 1:20 am Reply with quote
So ask your Dad why he hates anime so much. No matter what he says, you tell him that what he said is true - as far as it goes. Then point out to him that anime is such a broad genera that includes every kind of story anyone could think of. Tell him that, to the Japanese, animation is just another way to tell a story - any story and that a lot of them are very good deep, sophisticated, well told stories that were never intended for children.

It would be good if, at that point, you had something handy to show him that is particularly suited to his tastes. Preferably something short like a movie, not a 200+ episode show.
TheresaJayne

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2009 2:30 am Reply with quote
sigh, my parents wouldnt bother and my sister is definately a no anime type (the only thing she watches is Simpsons)
I was started on anime in a strange way, I watched akira (hated it)
Watched the odd pokemon and yu gi oh (hated them)
Saw Wicked City - OMG what is that AMAZING.
Then nothing, Then a year ago a friend took me along to the local Anime club. Started with St Luminous Mission High School, Demonbane and School Rumble 2nd semester, Hooked.....
They have 3 showings a week, 2 eps of 3 series at a time, I don't go anymore, but its not that good at the moment, and i have everything they are showing anyway. A friend i tried to get into anime, hated GITS SAC and AZUMANGA Dioh but kinda liked ghost hound. go figure.
An1fr3ak

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2009 7:34 am Reply with quote
GrinfilledCelt wrote:
So ask your Dad why he hates anime so much. No matter what he says, you tell him that what he said is true - as far as it goes. Then point out to him that anime is such a broad genera that includes every kind of story anyone could think of. Tell him that, to the Japanese, animation is just another way to tell a story - any story and that a lot of them are very good deep, sophisticated, well told stories that were never intended for children.

It would be good if, at that point, you had something handy to show him that is particularly suited to his tastes. Preferably something short like a movie, not a 200+ episode show.

If I want to die prematurely, i'll do that. Thank you for the advice anyway. The gesture is much appreciated, but unfortunately for me, it isn't that simple Laughing I am curious though and forgive me if you have already mentioned this, but how does your family take up with anime??
BlueCorona

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2009 10:43 am Reply with quote
Wren87 wrote:

(although showing them a Miyazaki movie would be far less difficult).

Yes I've tried many times, some of my family members are more accessible than others. I've shown many ghibli movies to my mum, and she enjoyed them, my sister has enjoyed ranma 1/2 but not to quite the same extent I do. My older brother is much harder to reach however, for one thing he doesn't like subs (which is what most of my anime is,) He's really only interested in stuff he saw when he was younger.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
kakitamike

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2009 1:03 pm Reply with quote
My dad will sit and watch a few shows. He actually asks me from time to time when will I be getting the next disc of Claymore, but otherwise he'll sit and watch some eps of Code Geass or Baccano. Shows I thought he'd enjoy, like Death Note or Cowboy Bebop, he has no interest in.

My mother is blind, but she'll listen to Death Note, because "it doesn't have grown women trying to sound like little boys and girls" as she puts it. And she likes mysteries.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
bungeeapple

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2009 5:47 am Reply with quote
well me and all of my siblings are crazy about anime... in fact i think it has made us closer =) anyway there's no chance my parents would watch anime, they think it's just kids stuff... but then most anime are not for kids (yaoi anyone?)

sigh, if only my friends could be converted to watching anime than those corny soaps (eg gray's anatomy, etc)
sane harlequin

PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2009 4:51 pm Reply with quote
Wren87 wrote:
Have you ever shown anime to your parents or close family members? And if you haven't, do you think you'll ever try to give them a taste of at least one anime show?

My parents are a little more easy-going when it comes to trying out different things, especially when it comes to what they watch on television. For instance, they can watch the Disney channel without feeling "old", and they can put on an old cartoon show without feeling "embarrassed" about it. Unfortunately anime is one of those things that seems to be far from their reach.

I've never shown them anime, except that whenever I observe them channel surf and stumble upon an anime on Cartoon Network, they seem to immediately change the channel. Which is why I don't think me sharing anime with them will be an easy task (although showing them a Miyazaki movie would be far less difficult).

my dad says anime is crap and i get so offended with it
my mom one time was watching inuyasha with my sister
the episode was about when the man with out a face was looking for a face
the faceless man was naked and my mom shouted
" CARTOON BOOTY MAYBE I WILL STAY AND WATCH"
i said in my mind pervert
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 6 of 8