• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: TV Tokyo's Iwata Discusses Anime's 'Road to Survival'

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Unit 03.5-ish

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2009 4:20 am Reply with quote
Right, let's stop trying to appeal to a wider cultural audience which will limit the appeal of anime even further outside Japan, and let's simply gloss over the efforts of studios such as Gonzo to make shows that can appeal to people from other nations. Limiting the appeal of anime to focus almost exclusively on notions that are inherently Japanese is going to do a troubled industry that relies on profits made in countries other than Japan is so brilliant.
samuelp
Industry Insider

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2009 4:40 am Reply with quote
Unit 03.5-ish wrote:
Right, let's stop trying to appeal to a wider cultural audience which will limit the appeal of anime even further outside Japan, and let's simply gloss over the efforts of studios such as Gonzo to make shows that can appeal to people from other nations. Limiting the appeal of anime to focus almost exclusively on notions that are inherently Japanese is going to do a troubled industry that relies on profits made in countries other than Japan is so brilliant.

To be honest, actually, it might be a brilliant idea, if a number of things come into play.

If MOST anime companies begin to make things for global markets, there will a backlash in the Japanese community... Someone posted this on AoD forums, but there is a sense of "Butter Kusai" = Stinks like butter, that some consumers have in Japan.

If some anime companies (like gonzo, for example) try to appeal too hard to the west, there will be a vacuum left in Japan for "pure" anime made directly for Japanese audiences that a studio could fill.

If, in a troubled economic period, you are that one company that looks inward while all the others look outward, you could be the one that weathers the storm while the others are battered by the global recesion far worse than you.

(Not that this is a good thing for the global consumer, but I could see how a strategy like that MIGHT succeed in the short term if they are lucky)
Ai no Kareshi

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2009 5:01 am Reply with quote
Three things.

Firstly, I'm not a fan of streaming, but I like what I hear they're doing with Crunchyroll. If services like this become more popular, it may actually deter a significant amount of people from downloading fansubs.

Secondly, we do not need official subtitles to mimick the flashy karaoke, messy graphic effects and crappy fonts used by fansubs. A concise translation in a readable font is all that should be required. I don't like intrusive subtitles that spoil the beauty of what's on the screen already.

And lastly, like many others here, I'm not sure what the implications are for "Japan only producing anime for Japan". I mean, as far as I know, this is what they've always been doing. If I wanted to see something Western I wouldn't be watching anime in the first place.
Unit 03.5-ish

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2009 5:13 am Reply with quote
Since Pokémon and Naruto were both mentioned, I have to wonder this: how much longer will the "really really long shonen show" model prove viable? Sure, ever since DBZ, there have been plenty of hundred-plus episode series, but a lot of them do follow more or less the same formula, and I can imagine some people getting tired of the same thing ad nauseum. Sure, these shows have a metric farkton of merchandise, too, but even so, it's not the freshest or most innovative genre. In fact, I wonder if being innovative would help at this point? I imagine they're afraid to try any shows that'd be considered ballsy or daring, preferring to play it safe, as it were.
samuelp
Industry Insider

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2009 5:56 am Reply with quote
I'm reading the corresponding thread reacting to this article on 2ch... http://anchorage.2ch.net/test/read.cgi/bizplus/1233244965/-100
Interesting to see the Japanese reaction, but more amusing I found was this comment (made as a joke, I sure hope):

Quote:

海外対策には、全作品にキリストとかコーランを侮辱するアイキャッチいれれば大丈夫!

"As a countermeasure against gaijin, just put an insult to Christ or the Koran in the eyecatches and you'll be okay!"

Brilliant idea, 2ch.

Last edited by samuelp on Fri Jan 30, 2009 5:57 am; edited 1 time in total
Akaoni21

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2009 5:57 am Reply with quote
Quote:
In Iwata's view, there is no room for growth since Japanese animation has reached the saturation point in the global marketplace. Due to the worldwide recession and illegal net distribution, Iwata concluded that the North American marketplace is battered, the European marketplace is in grave condition, and the Japanese companies cannot rely on the Middle East, Asia, and other regions as potential new marketplaces. He added, "as it stands, we may have to go back to the way it was in the past — back to selling Japanese animation only to the Japanese marketplace." In order to survive in the current adverse climate, TV Tokyo is proceeding with new initiatives that include animation on American video-distribution sites.

Mr.Iwata seems to be one of those "over conservative" Japanese.

I live in the UK and I cant buy anything from the European market because its practically non-existant so what do I have to do?

I have to buy from America amirite? After all 90% of all the Anime I've bought are region 1's.

What id like to do is buy my Anime directly from Japan, Lets cut out the American middle men, Japanese companys should just distribute their products themselves.

On an added note im never going to subscribe to a streaming site like Crunchyroll, When I spend money I like to hold the DVD in my hands and think "Yes... I can watch this show as many times as I like, Its PAID IN FULL" besides theres always going to be a place on the 'net you can find free fansubs, $7 a month is such a rip especially when you think about it... People out there will be getting it for FREE!
zetubouzinsei

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2009 6:13 am Reply with quote
全米 means All-America only. nationwide is 全国.
Quote:
このままでは、日本のアニメを日本の市場だけで売る一昔前に戻るかもしれない
"as it stands, we may have to go back to the way it was in the past - back to selling Japanese animation only to the Japanese marketplace."

As viciousnip said, Iwata doesn't mention about his plan in this comment. He just means "we will be unable to find (corporate) buyers worldwide". If he means release in Japan only, says 戻す instead of 戻る.

Last edited by zetubouzinsei on Fri Jan 30, 2009 8:34 am; edited 1 time in total
bayoab

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2009 6:30 am Reply with quote
crilix wrote:
It's also very important to note that TV ratings for otaku anime almost never determine their success. One such example would be Code Geass R2 that had piss-poor ratings for its TV time slot, yet it has managed to outsell pretty much every otaku series last year except Macross Frontier (that also didn't make it to your precious Top 10).
It should also be mentioned that not being on the top of the DVD chain doesn't make your show a failure. Some shows are made expecting to only sell a thousand or so units. When they sell 3000, they might then be a success.

Unit 03.5-ish wrote:
Right, let's stop trying to appeal to a wider cultural audience which will limit the appeal of anime even further outside Japan, and let's simply gloss over the efforts of studios such as Gonzo to make shows that can appeal to people from other nations.

Gonzo is one of the worst off animation companies financially right now because they became so dependent on foreign sales and investment.

Quote:
Limiting the appeal of anime to focus almost exclusively on notions that are inherently Japanese is going to do a troubled industry that relies on profits made in countries other than Japan is so brilliant.
But the well that is "foreign licensing" is running dry. You can't just continue hoping that one day that the well will suddenly be full. You have to cut down your reliance on the well. How do you do that? Increase reliance on your other wells.

(Also, the industry doesn't rely on outside profits. Only some studios and productions do. There is a good number of productions that are clearly made for Japan by Japan.)

Unit 03.5-ish wrote:
Since Pokémon and Naruto were both mentioned, I have to wonder this: how much longer will the "really really long shonen show" model prove viable?
As long as the merchandise sells. These shows are made for the tie-ins, not to sell DVDs.

Quote:
Sure, ever since DBZ, there have been plenty of hundred-plus episode series, but a lot of them do follow more or less the same formula, and I can imagine some people getting tired of the same thing ad nauseum.

To quote FUNimation: There is a new 9 year old born every day.
And the can always just put a new twist on the same old formula and people will watch it.
Quote:
Sure, these shows have a metric farkton of merchandise, too, but even so, it's not the freshest or most innovative genre. In fact, I wonder if being innovative would help at this point? I imagine they're afraid to try any shows that'd be considered ballsy or daring, preferring to play it safe, as it were.

They actually are being innovative. What Japan is getting really good at is the "3400 hour late night anime" (Hayate no Gotoku, Shugo Chara, Zettai Karen Children, Fairy Musketeers) which is essentially a cross between a long running kids show and an otaku show. (Which channel does this "timeslot" belong to? TV Tokyo. The problem? The shows all seem to have been made with international licensing in mind.)
samuelp
Industry Insider

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2009 6:39 am Reply with quote
bayoab wrote:

In america, maybe. In Japan it's more like every other day.
configspace

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2009 7:30 am Reply with quote
samuelp wrote:
bayoab wrote:

In america, maybe. In Japan it's more like every other day.

lol, in a sad way. Actually that might not be so bad in a way. With a shrinking pie, the less eaters there are the more there is to go around. But that also requires less middlemen, less sub-contracting and overall less entities involved in going from producer -> consumer

(Edit) like the example given by bayoab comparing an NBC (or any US TV) show production. The free HD streaming that stations provide is actually more convenient than catching it on TV with the ability to watch at your own leisure and the commercials intermissions are much shorter (30 secs or so) (they might be trying to appeal to the TiVo/HD/PC users who would just skip the commercials entirely when they can at least guarantee advertisers that their ads are being viewed when watched online). The DVD boxsets are also appealing given the value you get when they're priced at $1 or less per ep.

I also agree that the idea of shifting away from making shows specifically targeted at general audiences abroad, might actually work out for the better. But for an additional different reason: I believe that the amount of anime fans worldwide who are not averse to the otaku sub-culture exceeds those who are. That's just my impression going by the user activity and resulting revenue from sites like http://dannychoo.com (he is open about amount of income generated by visitors via ad revenue and buying from partners), and from merchandise retailers and even http://otakubooty.com Razz If they can generate income from those who buy or even just know of Nedroids then I think they might be better off. Heck, just the shows on Crunchyroll now reflect that diverse-but-fandom-appealing base, from Natsume Yuujinchou to Neo Angelique Abyss to Shugo Chara and yes, Naruto and Gintama as well.

Last edited by configspace on Fri Jan 30, 2009 7:57 am; edited 2 times in total
samuelp
Industry Insider

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2009 7:38 am Reply with quote
configspace wrote:
Heck, just the shows on Crunchyroll now reflect that diverse-but-fandom-appealing base, from Natsume Yuujinchou to Neo Angelique Abyss to Shugo Chara and yes, Naruto and Gintama as well.

I wouldn't put too much stock on CR's lineup being eclectic because they wanted "diversity".

Trust me, if they could have traded Natsume and Angelique for Bleach and One Piece they would have in a heartbeat Smile.
The shows they have are the ones they could get, that's all. There might be some amount of experimentation on TV Tokyo's part as well, like with completely unknown shows like "Web Ghost Pipopa" and see how something aimed at a distinctly younger crowd does.

But diversity is a side-effect, not really a goal for them.
fuuma_monou

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2009 8:48 am Reply with quote
letniinside wrote:

1. Research about hardsubbing on fansubs! Try to observe their quality (from karaoke, translations, Fonts, colors, effects, etc)

I pretty much hate most digisub typography. Reminds me too much of those ransom notes made of random letters cut out from newspapers and magazines. Soft-subs are better since I can change the font.

As for translations, I have to wonder why the credits are almost never translated. I don't expect every name to be translated, but at least the main staff and cast. Much more important to me than karaoke lyrics, which can easily be done as separate clips.
Shadowlord

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2009 9:58 am Reply with quote
@Unit 03.5-ish
Did I understand you correct, that you think replacing cultural references in Anime with references to western cultures just to make them easier to understand is a good thing? Really, I think that's terrible! Sure, explainations are necessary regarding such scenes for most viewers, but changing gags and story can't be a good thing.

I HIGHLY doubt that MOST people who watch Anime outside Japan want to watch it dubbed in their native language. Ever seen a German dubbed Anime?!

I DID NOT say dubs suck and they shouldn't exist - I just said I think they suck = meaning I don't like them. That's my good right! As I said before, I DO understand that there are people out there who prefer dubs - that's OK, but I just DON'T. I don't know what's your problem with that...
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2009 10:10 am Reply with quote
samuelp wrote:
Unit 03.5-ish wrote:

To be honest, actually, it might be a brilliant idea, if a number of things come into play.

If MOST anime companies begin to make things for global markets, there will a backlash in the Japanese community... Someone posted this on AoD forums, but there is a sense of "Butter Kusai" = Stinks like butter, that some consumers have in Japan.

If some anime companies (like gonzo, for example) try to appeal too hard to the west, there will be a vacuum left in Japan for "pure" anime made directly for Japanese audiences that a studio could fill.

If, in a troubled economic period, you are that one company that looks inward while all the others look outward, you could be the one that weathers the storm while the others are battered by the global recesion far worse than you.

(Not that this is a good thing for the global consumer, but I could see how a strategy like that MIGHT succeed in the short term if they are lucky)
Or you could do both and cover your arse. After all what would Japanese anime be if it weren't Japanese? I find no difference, and can not tell when an anme is targeted for the world, or just Japan, so why worry? Just get on with doing what you do best, and let the world sort it self out. Oh right, no sponsorship. That bloody sucks.
configspace

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2009 11:41 am Reply with quote
samuelp wrote:
configspace wrote:
Heck, just the shows on Crunchyroll now reflect that diverse-but-fandom-appealing base, from Natsume Yuujinchou to Neo Angelique Abyss to Shugo Chara and yes, Naruto and Gintama as well.

I wouldn't put too much stock on CR's lineup being eclectic because they wanted "diversity".

Trust me, if they could have traded Natsume and Angelique for Bleach and One Piece they would have in a heartbeat Smile.
The shows they have are the ones they could get, that's all. There might be some amount of experimentation on TV Tokyo's part as well, like with completely unknown shows like "Web Ghost Pipopa" and see how something aimed at a distinctly younger crowd does.

But diversity is a side-effect, not really a goal for them.

Oh you have a point and I do realize that, if they had to make a decision of choosing one or the other. But it seems that at some point in time, they would have no choice but to diversify since there are only a handful of such mainstream anime anyways.

And it's interesting you bring up such shows because even then, to be real money-makers they need to be on TV. yet they are not "mainstream" enough for direct consumption on TV. The already censored Japanese broadcast is still edited further by nearly every overseas broadcaster for TV (except maybe France) and sometimes completely butchered as the case with One Piece, or butchered in selected scenes as the case with the German Naruto, in order to be deemed acceptable to their audience.
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 6 of 7