• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Missing 14-Year-Old Girl Reportedly Headed to Ikkicon

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
hikaru004

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2009 5:15 pm Reply with quote
So far the reports suggest that she went willingly. So that kidnapping charge is most likely not going to happen.

Sex is probably a foregone conclusion. I'm just hoping that it's consensual.
cool3865

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2009 7:01 pm Reply with quote
She is under 16 he will still be charged with kidnapping

Update just talked with security they still haven't found them
hikaru004

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2009 7:40 pm Reply with quote
cool3865 wrote:
She is under 16 he will still be charged with kidnapping

Update just talked with security they still haven't found them

The upper limit is age 12 for the Oklahoma law for kidnapping. Federal law has no age limit. The point is prob going to be argued since she went willingly. The rape law is age 16 but there is a lower age limit addendum for teens.

Is anyone truly expecting them to show up there?
dtm42

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2009 7:42 pm Reply with quote
hikaru004 wrote:

Nope, but wouldn't it be funny (and a big relief) if they did?
hikaru004

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2009 9:12 pm Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:
hikaru004 wrote:

Nope, but wouldn't it be funny (and a big relief) if they did?

Well since it's pointing to" Teen ditched school to go to con with 40 yo guy.", I'm not that worried. Teens have done worse things without going across state lines.
commsky

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2009 11:02 pm Reply with quote
Somebody isn't very bright
CCSYueh

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2009 11:42 pm Reply with quote
hikaru004 wrote:

The upper limit is age 12 for the Oklahoma law for kidnapping. Federal law has no age limit. The point is prob going to be argued since she went willingly. The rape law is age 16 but there is a lower age limit addendum for teens.

I thought they can be tried in each state for various crimes, so it also depends which states they travel thru. I'm pretty sure if they make it to California & have sex, it's statutory (I believe the only escape clause is 3 yr age dif & he's way past that).

SHe's not even old enough to get a driver's license, is she? (Not in California at least) So she's well in the realm of being closer to child than adult. She's not old enough to vote. In California she can't even enter into any contracts (says the mom who had to buy her working teen her cell phone 2 yrs ago when she was 16). Argue the kidnapping or not--he's NOT her legal guardian. Her legal guardians have signed no papers (that we've been told) allowing her to take custody of her. Were she injured, he would have no legal ability to get her treated.
How could anyone suggest this is love? Lust, maybe. A little girl who can't wait to grow up probably. My daughter knew a girl who was boy-crazy (from age 12) & actively tried to get pregnant many times before succeeding at the age of 17. I had friends in the 70's who thought having a baby & getting that welfare check made them an adult & out from under their parents' control. One of my best friends in 6th grade had dropped out & had 3 or 5 kids by a guy in state prison by the time I was in my last year of High School.
I really can't see them making it to any anime conventions. All he has to do is tell her everyone knows, sorry hon. I don't doubt he's not even an anime fan--just knows what the kids/his prey like
Can't we all see how much he loves her? He's breaking the law for her immature ass. That's true love, isn't it? She's doing all sorts of adult things so that has to make her an adult. If she's lucky, she might be preggers by the time they're caught & then no one can stop them, right?
I told my daughter to enjoy being a kid because adult life is no bucket of fun. Kids are always in too much of a hurry to be older while adults often try to shave the yrs off.
pparker

PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2009 12:00 am Reply with quote
I don't know personally of any state where the age of majority reaches as low as 14. She can't do anything as an adult.

As to love, I don't buy it for her, at her age. I have seen one solid relationship between a very young girl, but still at least 18, and an older guy 45-50ish. The girl was amazingly wise beyond her years and knew full well what she was doing. It was nothing sleazy or whatever, just an odd one from the outside. Still wasn't comfortable for them in public because of the looks they would get if they acted romantically toward each other at all (assumption being father/daughter).

Note that this girl was "grounded" from her phone for some time, since there were several messages. There could be a history of trouble at home. This is probably a rebellious reaction taken way too far.

Any case, the guy is a predator, whether a criminal kidnapper or rapist or not (I imagine the statutory technicality is a done deal). He knew her from being friends with the family. He told her what she wanted to hear in order to get what he wanted, withholding his actions from the adults in her life. A girl legally too young to make such decisions on her own. That spells predator in any language.

Last edited by pparker on Sat Feb 07, 2009 12:26 am; edited 1 time in total
MeggieMay

PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2009 12:25 am Reply with quote
CCSYueh, I want to point out that the age of allowing a young person to drive is not a good comparable to bring up in this sort of debate, particularly if you're going to use California as the standard.

The reason? Oklahoma kids get their first permits at 15, while Kansas kids get them at 14.

Oklahoma
http://www.dps.state.ok.us/dls/gdl.htm
Kansas
http://www.ksrevenue.org/dmvteen.htm

These are states are rule and agriculture industry based economies 3 out of 5 kids are driving by the time they're 14 or 15 anyway, license or no (many are driving tractors as soon as they can get their feet on the pedals). California has much stricter rules and for good reasons - a lot more people and adults tend to actually want a higher age for their kids to start driving verse these states (I can't speak for OK but Kansas voters have killed most bills to increase the driving age (usually from 14 to 16) by a 90%).

On the flip side, in Kansas driving is a school credit (you take a summer course the year you graduate 8th grade so you are ready to drive to High School in the Fall (one place you can drive on the restricted DL without your parents in KS)) and most teens are taught to drive by the school systems (or at least have the option) unlike California where parents must pay private schools to teach driving to there kids (at least that is how it seems to work in the part of California my sister lives in). Still being old enough to drive isn't a good judge of a kids "adultness" in these areas (just because you're old enough to drive and/or have sex doesn't mean you are even close to being old enough to be thought of as an adult, at least IMO).

Edited to add a Age of Consent pages for those interested in that subject

http://www.avert.org/aofconsent.htm

Turns out yes, 14 is legal in some states but it sure isn't in Oklahoma.

Last edited by MeggieMay on Sat Feb 07, 2009 12:30 am; edited 1 time in total
P€|\||§_|\/|ast@

PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2009 12:28 am Reply with quote
That guy looks strangely familiar, I may have seen him at conventions before (I've been to some in that area), so maybe he is a convention goer / anime fan himself. But the clues point to this whole thing turning out to be one big mess. If the guy was a well known friend of the family, they probably would have ok'd him taking their daughter to a convention and keeping her safe (had it not been for the sexual text messages). Maybe they already did ask and the family said no. That guy was very stupid for not realizing who was reading those text messages. Plus the girl was grounded from using her phone, AND apparently James stole money and left his job at the convenience store. Hmm is Mexico on the travel agenda?
fighterholic

PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2009 2:10 am Reply with quote
I am just amazed that this thread took a turn from concern for girl headed to anime con to "she is going to die and we're trying to figure out the laws for kidnapping and consensual sex."
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2009 2:31 am Reply with quote
hikaru004 wrote:

She's only being a delinquent in that she missed school to travel to a con. She could have gone by bus or hitchhiked to get there, but instead she went with someone she knew.

The Amber Alert is what blows this out of proportions and the fact that she neglected to tell her parents what she was doing. If they did have consensual sex, it would only have been considered rape because he's above the age of 18. (If she didn't go willingly, then this side of the debate is thrown out of the window.)

If this was another teen that she went with, would we really be having this debate?

Yeah, you're really creepy making these arguments, man.

No offense, but good lord. Read what you're writing and then ask yourself "hey wait do I sound like a really creepy guy"

Because for most people reading what you write the answer to that last question is "yes".
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2009 5:37 am Reply with quote
hikaru004 wrote:

She's only being a delinquent in that she missed school to travel to a con. She could have gone by bus or hitchhiked to get there, but instead she went with someone she knew.

The Amber Alert is what blows this out of proportions and the fact that she neglected to tell her parents what she was doing. If they did have consensual sex, it would only have been considered rape because he's above the age of 18. (If she didn't go willingly, then this side of the debate is thrown out of the window.)

If this was another teen that she went with, would we really be having this debate?

For starters your idea of delinquency is far from what the law says. So it is indeed more then just "missing school." Secondly, the amber alert is not blowing this out of proportion at all. How do you know she did go willingly? How do you know she wasn't forced to say that or pretend that it's a mutual thing? You have no way of knowing until she's found so I'd save the premature judgments for after that point. As for if she went with another teen then yea the same charges would apply if the teen was convicted and tried as an adult. That of course depends on exactly what happened during the time she was gone and the age of the other teen. There are plenty of 16 and 17 year olds that have been tried as adults due to the seriousness of the crimes committed. And it's also real easy for you to sit here and say this is being blown out of proportion because it's not YOUR daughter. I am sure if it was you'd be signing a bit different tune.
CCSYueh

PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2009 5:47 am Reply with quote
MeggieMay wrote:
CCSYueh, I want to point out that the age of allowing a young person to drive is not a good comparable to bring up in this sort of debate, particularly if you're going to use California as the standard.

You mean like in Utah where I actually spent my teen years & learned to drive after taking Drivers Ed in 10th grade & where I watched a mom toss the keys of the car to her 12 yr old daughter to go pick up something at the store?

Various parents have various ideas of what their kids are capable of accomplishing. Not unlike the case a decade ago up in Poway where a father bought beer so his son & 2 of the son's friends could celebrate graduating from High School (& thus were well under the California legal drinking age of 21. And with wonderful adult judgement, the 3 boys decided to drive somewhere, wrapping around a tree with the son of the beer-buyer dying. I seem to recall dad was very upset the driving teen "got off" with a pile of community service speaking about the evils of underage drinking & drinking & driving.

MeggieMay wrote:

The reason? Oklahoma kids get their first permits at 15, while Kansas kids get them at 14.

Oklahoma
http://www.dps.state.ok.us/dls/gdl.htm
Kansas
http://www.ksrevenue.org/dmvteen.htm

These are states are rule and agriculture industry based economies 3 out of 5 kids are driving by the time they're 14 or 15 anyway, license or no (many are driving tractors as soon as they can get their feet on the pedals). California has much stricter rules and for good reasons - a lot more people and adults tend to actually want a higher age for their kids to start driving verse these states (I can't speak for OK but Kansas voters have killed most bills to increase the driving age (usually from 14 to 16) by a 90%).

On the flip side, in Kansas driving is a school credit (you take a summer course the year you graduate 8th grade so you are ready to drive to High School in the Fall (one place you can drive on the restricted DL without your parents in KS)) and most teens are taught to drive by the school systems (or at least have the option) unlike California where parents must pay private schools to teach driving to there kids (at least that is how it seems to work in the part of California my sister lives in). Still being old enough to drive isn't a good judge of a kids "adultness" in these areas (just because you're old enough to drive and/or have sex doesn't mean you are even close to being old enough to be thought of as an adult, at least IMO).

Edited to add a Age of Consent pages for those interested in that subject

http://www.avert.org/aofconsent.htm

Turns out yes, 14 is legal in some states but it sure isn't in Oklahoma.

Realistically, the age of consent has been up & down for ages. It's NOT a sign of adulthood

Quote:
The age of majority is the threshold of adulthood as it is conceptualized (and recognized or declared) in law. It is the chronological moment when children legally cease to be minors and assume control over their persons, actions and decisions, thereby terminating the legal control and legal responsibilities of their parents over and for them. The word majority here refers to having greater years and being of full age; it is opposed to minority, the state of being a minor.

Quote:
United States - 18
14 in American Samoa
19 in Nebraska and Alabama
21 in Mississippi and the District of Columbia

Quote:
In practical terms, there are certain specific actions which a person who attains the age of majority is permitted to take, which they could not do before. These may include entering into a binding contract, buying stocks, voting, buying and/or consuming alcoholic beverages, driving motor vehicles on public roads, and marrying without obtaining consent of others. The ages at which these various rights or powers may be exercised vary as between the various rights and as between different jurisdictions. For example, the ages at which a person may obtain a license to drive a car or consume alcoholic beverages vary considerably between and also within jurisdictions.

I don't see how this girl being discussed has any power to make her own decisions. If she were mature/rational/whatever, she would bide her time until she's legal, look into getting emancipated, etc. Running away is hardly mature.

[quote]Statutory rape laws are based on the concept that a young person may desire sex but may lack the experience possessed by legal adults to make a mature decision as to whether or not to have sexual contact with a particular person. Thus, the law assumes, even if he or she willingly engages in sexual intercourse with a legal adult, his or her sex partner may well have used tactics of manipulation or deceit against which the younger person has not yet developed sufficient discernment or defense.

Critics argue that a young teenager might possess enough social sense to make informed and mature decisions about sex, while some adults might never develop the ability to make mature choices about sex, as even many mentally healthy individuals remain naive and easily manipulated throughout their lives.

Another rationale comes from the fact that minors are generally economically, socially, and legally unequal to adults. By making it illegal for an adult to have sex with a minor, statutory rape laws aim to give the minor some protection against adults in a position of power over the youth.
quote]

You'll note the the position of power take-not unlike sexual harassment issues. That's why it is so heinous. An adult is supposed to possess the wisdom, the ability to put off pleasure by ways of reason. THis is a big issue in child abuse cases--the idea children are taugh from their youngest days to obey adults & thus a predator can use that to make a child do as the molester desires. The guy in this article is well old enough to wait 4 yrs, but isn't. It's not worth it. She's jailbait. He has way more to lose & most rational adults tell themselves this. It's the irrational fools who think they can get away with it. Or maybe they just don't think.

My point is that if a child isn't deemed capable of operating a vehicle of mass destruction, having a drink of alcohol, voting for the PResident, can't attend a field trip without a legal guardian signing a permission slip, can't join the army, etc, that child isn't really ready to make adult decisions about the rest of their lives.
And if he were reasonable & not a predator, he'd be steering clear so that only makes his intentions more suspect.
I'm not sure I buy he plans to off here. He may just have been looking for his Bonnie to live out this criminal fantasy of his.
GracieLizzy

PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2009 8:46 am Reply with quote
Shouldn't they be picked up at registration? Don't you usually have to provide prove of ID like a passport or driving license to get in? Which is why I am worried that they won't head to Ikkicon or any of the others and the lead will be lost. What's the lower age limit at Ikkicon anyway? Many conventions I've researched don't allow under 16s or under 18s to attend for legal reasons, at least that's the case in the UK I'm sure it's different with US cons but I have heard of age limits at those too.
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 6 of 9