• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Bandai Entertainment Streams Code Geass on YouTube

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dragoneyes001

PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2009 6:01 pm Reply with quote
Greed1914 wrote:
dragoneyes001 wrote:

actually the discussion turned to why bandai has used regional blocking although region1 is USA/Canada they limited viewing to only the US region this is directly why an explanation of international relations between canada and the US needs clarifying because they do directly affect how some treaties will be handled internationally. NAFTA also includes entertainment trade and should force bandai to open the streams to canada but thats not the case because bandai is amongst a group of companies that deal in the US trying to exclude Canada because of Canada's interpretation of copyright laws in other words they are forcing the issue so that Canada will change their laws to suite their wants.

personally i'm against being blackmailed into conformity let bandai suffer as more people simply bypass their regional blocks because theres 6 billion people in the world its not up to 300 million to force their laws on the rest of us!

So stick to that part of it, lumber and whatever else has nothing to do with this. Also, I'd like to know where you get the idea that Bandai is part of some sort of conspiracy to change Canadian laws. I really doubt if there is some sort of sinister desire to "blackmail" anyone.

Zin5ki wrote:
Spotlesseden wrote:
they make money from share advertisement revenue that post by youtube in bandait channel.
just like Kadokawa Gets Over 10 Million Yen Monthly from YouTube.

If Youtube itself can earn Bandai Ent. advertising revenue for every viewing of one of their videos, then they already have the means to offer streaming to other countries whilst still earning money.

Even if they can afford to, there is still the issue of their hands being tied by current licensing laws. If they were legally allowed to stream everywhere, I'm sure they would, but they can't. Sure it would be better if this changed, but the North American branch of Bandai can't ignore it's legal obligations.

its actually a quite well known fact that Canada is on the US entertainment industries $hit list it started when movies were being held back a week after US release before being released into canadian theaters its not a conspiracy its an actual attempt at forcing canadian law to be changed.
Bandai has shown which side its going to support by limiting canadian streams even though the region it has rights to includes canada so like i said I'm far more for people thumbing their noses at bandai by bypassing restrictions than watching laws be forced into changing by blackmail.
Greed1914

PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2009 6:12 pm Reply with quote
dragoneyes001 wrote:
Greed1914 wrote:
dragoneyes001 wrote:

actually the discussion turned to why bandai has used regional blocking although region1 is USA/Canada they limited viewing to only the US region this is directly why an explanation of international relations between canada and the US needs clarifying because they do directly affect how some treaties will be handled internationally. NAFTA also includes entertainment trade and should force bandai to open the streams to canada but thats not the case because bandai is amongst a group of companies that deal in the US trying to exclude Canada because of Canada's interpretation of copyright laws in other words they are forcing the issue so that Canada will change their laws to suite their wants.

personally i'm against being blackmailed into conformity let bandai suffer as more people simply bypass their regional blocks because theres 6 billion people in the world its not up to 300 million to force their laws on the rest of us!

So stick to that part of it, lumber and whatever else has nothing to do with this. Also, I'd like to know where you get the idea that Bandai is part of some sort of conspiracy to change Canadian laws. I really doubt if there is some sort of sinister desire to "blackmail" anyone.

Zin5ki wrote:
Spotlesseden wrote:
they make money from share advertisement revenue that post by youtube in bandait channel.

If Youtube itself can earn Bandai Ent. advertising revenue for every viewing of one of their videos, then they already have the means to offer streaming to other countries whilst still earning money.

Even if they can afford to, there is still the issue of their hands being tied by current licensing laws. If they were legally allowed to stream everywhere, I'm sure they would, but they can't. Sure it would be better if this changed, but the North American branch of Bandai can't ignore it's legal obligations.

its actually a quite well known fact that Canada is on the US entertainment industries $hit list it started when movies were being held back a week after US release before being released into canadian theaters its not a conspiracy its an actual attempt at forcing canadian law to be changed.
Bandai has shown which side its going to support by limiting canadian streams even though the region it has rights to includes canada so like i said I'm far more for people thumbing their noses at bandai by bypassing restrictions than watching laws be forced into changing by blackmail.

Oh no, a whole week! There really must be a conspiracy then because that's just so hard to live with. Many movies are shown in select cities before going nationwide, so why would a one week delay be a big deal? Let me know when you come up with something that offers more concrete proof.
Fabe

PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2009 8:08 pm Reply with quote
you know I'm pretty sure Canada is not locked out due to some trade/copyright laws because I'm still able to watch all of the stuff Funimation has on youtube so if it was due to some law wouldn't Funi have to play by the same rules. Has any one tried contacting Bandai about this?
dragoneyes001

PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2009 8:36 pm Reply with quote
Greed1914 wrote:
dragoneyes001 wrote:
Greed1914 wrote:
dragoneyes001 wrote:

Zin5ki wrote:
Spotlesseden wrote:

Oh no, a whole week! There really must be a conspiracy then because that's just so hard to live with. Many movies are shown in select cities before going nationwide, so why would a one week delay be a big deal? Let me know when you come up with something that offers more concrete proof.

you do realize that not releasing a movie at launch for an entire week was an attempt to stop movies being uploaded to the net after they were filmed in the theaters on opening night?

needless to say it backfired because movies that were held back missed out on millions of dollars of opening week revenues which hurt the production companies more than having a movie uploaded to the net.

but then again by the sounds of your argument you think $10-40 million/movie means nothing to the companies plus ten times that much to the theaters who don't get the releases at the same time because the movies have already been critiqued and will receive less box office money if the movie was less popular, that's why its critical for a less popular movies to be released at the same time so opening day can increase total revenue, to tell you the truth you simply sound like you want to argue and are actually oblivious to international copyright laws and how they affect international relations and company decisions.

as for select city's receiving a movie early you'll note that tends to be on blockbuster type movies which will have a guaranteed following so even with less than flattering critiques they will still surpass their costs there's nothing to lose and a lot to gain if the audience likes the movie because it will create a greater want to see the movie at launch and a better chance to be selected for Oscars which is the guaranteed money maker for movies.

money is all the companies who do entertainment care about in the case of blocking releases to canada for a week they realized it was a bad move because only part of the industry went along with it and those who didn't were reaping higher box office income during opening weekends than the ones who held back their movies. opening weekend revenue drives the industries choices for awards which drives a movies after theater release sales as DVD's and blue rays.

Code geass has already been streamed for quite a while you don't need youtube to find it Bandai is trying to make money from the streams they will find out that using black out areas will end up making them far less in the long run than the cost of a few more licensed areas would if they had the revenue from a much greater audience size through adverts. which can be regionalised through youtube and other streaming companies. if they want to protect their investment and make money using a limited broadcast is effectively losing them income far greater than what they could possibly make in such a limited market. bandai is pretty much shooting themselves in the foot.
Greed1914

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2009 2:12 am Reply with quote
I'd love to see some actual proof. Cite the actual laws that you claim to be so familiar with. Plus there are plenty of other reasons not to have a simultaneous worldwide release, it happens all the time with games, movies, TV shows, practically any type of media. Also, isn't an attempt to avoid having somebody steal your movie a pretty legitimate reason to make any sort of choice? I'd say so. Sometimes taking a stance is worth more than money. Fabe also brings up an excellent point that if there were really some sort of a NAFTA blockade were in place, then Funimation would have to follow it too since they are an American company, but they don't so there is probably some other reason for this decision.

Finally, where exactly do you get off trying to make brash generalizations about me? So far all I've heard from you are tales of an alleged blackmail conspiracy and absolutely no proof. You ought to expect an argument when you don't offer any sort of support for your claims. First you claim that the delay of a week was part of some attempt to change Canadian laws, and now it's just to avoid having people steal the movie and put it on the Internet. Since your story has changed I'm not sure which one you expect me to believe.
fighterholic

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2009 2:27 am Reply with quote
So far it looks to me as to what I've been reading that Bandai has restrictions concerning Canada while Funi doesn't. So, there is obviously something that is going on where Bandai is having to block out Canada users while Funi isn't. While there may be region locking for other countries, Canada would seem a bit unreasonable since Canada is included in Region one for DVD releases in the first place.
dragoneyes001

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2009 2:46 am Reply with quote
Greed1914 wrote:
I'd love to see some actual proof. Cite the actual laws that you claim to be so familiar with. Plus there are plenty of other reasons not to have a simultaneous worldwide release, it happens all the time with games, movies, TV shows, practically any type of media. Also, isn't an attempt to avoid having somebody steal your movie a pretty legitimate reason to make any sort of choice? I'd say so. Sometimes taking a stance is worth more than money. Fabe also brings up an excellent point that if there were really some sort of a NAFTA blockade were in place, then Funimation would have to follow it too since they are an American company, but they don't so there is probably some other reason for this decision.

Finally, where exactly do you get off trying to make brash generalizations about me? So far all I've heard from you are tales of an alleged blackmail conspiracy and absolutely no proof. You ought to expect an argument when you don't offer any sort of support for your claims. First you claim that the delay of a week was part of some attempt to change Canadian laws, and now it's just to avoid having people steal the movie and put it on the Internet. Since your story has changed I'm not sure which one you expect me to believe.

ok here's some proof for you! figured you'd at least have looked as far as google but guess you can't even look something simple up for yourself.

Quote:
Fox Threatens To Delay Canadian Releases Due To Rampant Movie Piracy.

Canada Buckles To Studio Pressure, Passes Harsher Piracy Laws

The WB Says No More Advance Screenings in Canada

guess FOX entertainment and Warner brothers are not large enough for you to have heard about eh?

those are just the headlines if your still asking for more i'll post the entire stories for you.

by the way NAFTA would be used to force airing in canada not limit it so you obviously didn't actually read what I posted and really shouldn't comment on what you don't bother reading.

also as for funimation vs bandai : each company decides what they want to do to make money funimation thinks the money they make in canada far exceeds any they might lose to copyright issues while bandai feels differently or they decided to side with the other production companies who are trying to force changes in canadian law.

by the way some of us may not bother posting a bunch of links or quotes while we write our posts because the information we're referring to is so easily available. if you feel its not true next time at least try looking it up because its you that looks uninformed when the proof is slapped up in the next post after you call it a bunch of bull.
Pepperidge

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2009 6:47 pm Reply with quote
dragoneyes011's concerns definitely aren't unfounded. Trade agreements are presenting a lot of pressures on Canadian organizations and government to bow to pressure from American corporations surrounding issues of intellectual property. It really does pose a threat to technological innovation within our own country. The RIAA and MPAA have made ridiculous accusations about how much of a 'threat' Canada poses to the world of entertainment, and the strain that is being applied to our own national policies as a result is quite a potentially devastating blow to our sovereignty. It is a serious issue, and I would recommend that people learn a little more about it since it demonstrates the frightening power that intellectual property can carry when it comes to international relations.

However, this can't possibly have anything to do with Bandai blocking Canadian access to their YouTube channel. That's just plain nutty.
Charred Knight

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2009 8:15 pm Reply with quote
Why the hell would America try to get Canada to change laws?

Take it up with England, who will then force Canada to change their laws. Bribe the queen with one of those Long John Silver Fish and Chips things, the Queen makes new pirating laws for Canada, everyone's happy.
Unit 03.5-ish

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2009 8:21 pm Reply with quote
Wow, I wasn't trying to spark an epic tl;dr legal debate, just theorizing as to why Canada didn't get the stream. Either way, I don't know if it's such a big deal when there's apparently ways around the regional restrictions.
Fabe

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2009 8:43 pm Reply with quote
dragoneyes001 wrote:
[

also as for funimation vs bandai : each company decides what they want to do to make money funimation thinks the money they make in canada far exceeds any they might lose to copyright issues while bandai feels differently or they decided to side with the other production companies who are trying to force changes in canadian law.

I don't know about that, I find it unlikely that Funimation would risk losing their licenses by releasing a series in regions they don't have the license for. honestly I don't think any of us truly knows whats going on, maybe this is a snub on Bandai's part maybe some Canadian law is preventing them form steaming here or maybe some one screwed up when uploading and it all a mistake.
bayoab

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2009 8:57 pm Reply with quote
Fabe wrote:
dragoneyes001 wrote:
[

I don't know about that, I find it unlikely that Funimation would risk losing their licenses by releasing a series in regions they don't have the license for. honestly I don't think any of us truly knows whats going on, maybe this is a snub on Bandai's part maybe some Canadian law is preventing them form steaming here or maybe some one screwed up when uploading and it all a mistake.

Youtube region restrictions can basically be changed on the fly. It's more likely there is some odd licensing issue (a possible example: another company has claimed complete online/broadcasting rights in Canada like how Manga claimed the rights for TTGL for the US) or someone just screwed up.
Spotlesseden

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2009 11:28 pm Reply with quote
there is a way to bypass all the laws. Since Bandai owns every Code Geass and Gundam. There is no need to licence to any country. They can just put them on youtube and crunchyroll. I have no problem watch anime that's not available in US on cruchyroll.

And some legal full ep anime in Youtube in like Girls bravo.

Then they don' have to care about other country's law. This way will probably don't make them max profit.
dragoneyes001

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2009 2:50 am Reply with quote
Charred Knight wrote:

Take it up with England, who will then force Canada to change their laws. Bribe the queen with one of those Long John Silver Fish and Chips things, the Queen makes new pirating laws for Canada, everyone's happy.

your not very up to date are you?

the queen and england don't make canadian law and have not had any direct power for a number of decades.

Quote:

funimation has the rights to air in canada and Bandai has the North American rights so they also have them they simply decided to exclude canada from their sites broadcasts.
Charred Knight

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2009 4:42 am Reply with quote
dragoneyes001 wrote:
Charred Knight wrote:

your not very up to date are you?

the queen and england don't make canadian law and have not had any direct power for a number of decades.

Quote:

funimation has the rights to air in canada and Bandai has the North American rights so they also have them they simply decided to exclude canada from their sites broadcasts.

The Queen of Canada is still head of state, which apparently checking Wikipedia, makes me more knowledgable about Canada than 95% of Canada.

If Elizabeth doesn't do something Canada may very well revolt
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 6 of 7