• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Hey, Answerman! - Harem Harumph

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
fuuma_monou

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2012 5:21 pm Reply with quote
Chagen46 wrote:

Quote:
Becaue we enjoy shows that have yuri subtext? I don't know of any non-yuri show that explicitly bills itself as yuri, because, well, that would be dumb. That being said, shows like Madoka Magica or Nanoha clearly are highly targeted towards people who like that sort of thing. And there is nothing wrong with that.

Madoka doesn't have a lot of yuri subtext to me, besides Sayaka/Kyouko. And Sayaka was in love with Kyousuka anyway.

Really don't see Sayaka/Kyouko. spoiler[Madoka/Homura] is the only relationship that seemed yuri to me.
Fencedude5609

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2012 5:24 pm Reply with quote
Chagen46 wrote:

No, it has archetypes. Who happen to be lesbians.

ok...? I'm not following. Its fundamentally a gag manga, yes the characters are written with broad strokes, because thats the kind of comedy it is. That doesn't make it not yuri.

Quote:
I am not a fan of yuri.

Ok, and other people are. So why are you arguing this?

Quote:
This doesn't mean that I dislike reading about lesbian relationships--in one story I'm writing, two are the characters are this Japanese chick and this Korean chick who are in love with each other, and they're some of my favorite characters to write. But "yuri" to me generally implies lesbian relationships that exist pretty much solely to fuel Otaku fantasies.

Oh right, so you could make w swipe at otaku. Yes, there are Otaku who like yuri, there are also lesbians who like yuri, and straight girls who like yuri and probably even a few gay guys who like yuri. That doesn't invalidate other lesbian fiction, which I also do happen to like. But its not the subject at hand.

Quote:
I remember reading the Strawberry Panic novel and I had to quit because it was just fake in my eyes.

Thats because StoPani is the lesbian equivalent of a harlequin romance, and makes no bones about that fact either. Amazingly enough, all things involving lesbians are not the same, and not everything has to be super dramatic and realistic. The fact that we can HAVE this variety is a GOOD THING.

Quote:

Madoka doesn't have a lot of yuri subtext to me, besides Sayaka/Kyouko. And Sayaka was in love with Kyousuka anyway.

I'm not going to argue MadoHomu with you, I'm just going to leave this here.

But ultimately, this discussion has just been another attempt by you to denigrate anyone who doesn't hold the same opinion on stuff that you do, through your implication that yuri is only for straight male otaku, even though the demographics for both Yuri Hime and Tsubomi demonstrate that this is emphatically not the case.

So yes, unless you are willing to discuss this in an intellectually honest manner, without trying to express your superiority, we are done with this disucssion.
maaya

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2012 10:47 pm Reply with quote
Chagen46 wrote:
But "yuri" to me generally implies lesbian relationships that exist pretty much solely to fuel Otaku fantasies.

That's not what it means. Try above mentioned Aoi Hana or Sasameki Koto to see what yuri series can be like, among other things.
Fencedude5609

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2012 10:51 pm Reply with quote
maaya wrote:
Chagen46 wrote:
But "yuri" to me generally implies lesbian relationships that exist pretty much solely to fuel Otaku fantasies.

That's not what it means. Try above mentioned Aoi Hana or Sasameki Koto to see what yuri series can be like, among other things.

Yeah, but that disrupts the nice little narrative he's constructed, where the lesbian relationships he writes are fine, but ones liked by "otaku" are just for fantasies.

Because Chagen couldn't possibly have anything in common with icky, icky otaku.
eyeresist

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2012 12:23 am Reply with quote
Animegomaniac wrote:
Well, one of the mecha shows I like is Gravion, a mecha/harem series {Oh yeah. There's one problem right there}. The first season was pretty mediocre but that was more to set up the second season which knocked down the basic set-up. Well, except for the notion that the hot blooded hero was resigned to piloting a leg, I really liked that one. It's so much better than the "I'm an ace pilot/master robot controller right from the start!" premise like so many others.

Yeah, I was going to say. I've only seen Gravion Zwei‎, and I recall it being enjoyable, quite light in tone but with good characters and some fun action. Maybe not enough BURNING PASSION for Brian?
dragon695

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2012 12:51 pm Reply with quote
Fencedude5609 wrote:
CrownKlown wrote:

No. Most people tend to think characters are lesbians unless stated otherwise. For christ sake every show or game I watch and play if two girls are close, bam school girl lesbians. A good example of this is Rita and Estelle from Vesperia. Rita is a girl who has been shunned her whole life, an outcast. She then becomes friendly with Estelle, who just has a sunny disposition. Instead of viewing them as best friends, or even she is my non blood sister, the first thing I hear is zomg they have to discreet lesbians. And this happens in every dam show.

There's a difference between yuri fans shipping (which is what Ristelle is, even if I think it is adorable, and Yuri's better with Judith anyway) and other people ignoring actual, undeniable subtext or even actual text. Also, how does it hurt you if someone thinks a girl is gay? Does that make her less enjoyable for you?

Quote:
Let me tell you a secret, sometimes two girls or two guys are just really good friends.

I'll let you in on a secret: gay people actually exist, and their existence won't harm you.

I can list tons and tons of examples where if the couple in question were male/female, there would be no question whatsoever that they were an item, but since its not explicitly stated that one or both is gay, people won't believe it.

If you want less yuri (and yaoi) shipping, tell Japan to stop making its heros and heroines much more shippable with their own gender than with their putative love-interests. This is actual a pretty major thing, that comes up all the time.

Not to stir the pot too much, but ya know there are those who like it both ways. But yeah, nobody ever considers the bisexuals among us. And no, I don't mean the stupid Japanese trope of "I'm only gay for you" type of bisexuality.

As for same-sex love interests, I really felt the way it was presented in No. 6 was one of the best. Think what you will of the show, but the relationship between the main characters was fairly low-key and didn't become that much of being there just to be in your face about it. I like that, really its nice to have characters whose lives don't revolve around their sexual identity, but who are also not afraid to show it when it is appropriate.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
Page 6 of 6