• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: NBC's Tonight Show to Run Skit on Manga Ent. & Bang Zoom

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
vashfanatic

PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2009 6:00 pm Reply with quote
Conan: A guy with breasts who's a ghost?
Andy: This is Hollywood...

I died a little watching this clip last night. So glad that ANN did a news piece on it. After hearing Andy Richter doing Batou as Paul Lynde, I will never see Ghost in the Shell quite the same way again. That and the fish conversation.

In terms of the censorship of the boobs (which they really couldn't get away with, thank you FCC), everyone noticed that they cut away to Conan and Andy when the guy's head exploded, right? Ghost in the Shell may not have been the best pick.
KanjiiZ

PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2009 6:57 pm Reply with quote
I laughed. If Conan thought the guy was a girl, why did he make his voice sound manly? Funny episode, worth the time though. And Seth Rogen.
Pocky Monster

PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2009 7:24 pm Reply with quote
Wow. Anime hyper I had a good laugh watching that.
hhv94

PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2009 7:29 pm Reply with quote
Ill never look at Ghost in the Shell the same again! Very funny clip. Thanks to the ANN site for posting it!
The Xenos

PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2009 7:36 pm Reply with quote
Wow. That was brilliant. Seeing Conan and Andy dub GitS was gold.
writerpatrick

PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2009 8:09 pm Reply with quote
The Paul Lynde voice for Batou was hilarious, especially when you know what Batou should sound like. Although I didn't find the fish scene as funny. And the whole connection of anime with boobies was a problem.

I also noticed a couple mistakes in Conan's introduction. For instance, he made it sound as if most of the anime dubbing is done in Hollywood when there's a number of studios doing it.

Incidently, Andy has done some VA work (mainly some Madagascar stuff) so he was right at home.
se37

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2009 1:40 am Reply with quote
Wow... that was the first funny thing to come out of Conan since... ever. I may have to show this to my sister.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
RhymesWithEmpty

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2009 4:23 am Reply with quote
If those scenes with Conan and Andy's voice work were included as extras on whichever DVD that episode is on, I would totally buy it, and I'm not really a Ghost in the Shell fan in the least. But goddamnit do I love Conan.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Hexon.Arq

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2009 4:35 am Reply with quote
se37 wrote:
Wow... that was the first funny thing to come out of Conan since... ever. I may have to show this to my sister.

Really? I loved the novelty of it, but I'd have to say it was probably one of the comedically tamest sketches I've seen him do. (Notwithstanding his visit to the Universal props storage facility a couple of weeks ago, which was horrendously unfunny.)

I feel like he's been holding back ever since he got on The Tonight Show. I used to laugh myself silly watching Late Night before that nervous wuss Jimmy Fallon (whom I used to love on SNL; he's so cute when he cracks up) took over. Hopefully Conan will begin to loosen up and return to the bawdy, random humor that brought me to him so many years ago, despite his time slot.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
abynormal

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2009 9:55 am Reply with quote
[quote="halo"]
abynormal wrote:

I think this was part of the joke and he mucked up the synopsis for more effect.

I'm inclined to disagree. The way he butterballed that description sounded way too natural. Besides, don't you remember this Anime News Nina cartoon?[/url]
TsukasaElkKite

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2009 1:45 pm Reply with quote
This was funny. Laughing
Hon'ya-chan

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2009 3:39 am Reply with quote
Can't beat "Man-Faye" being interviewed by John Melendez for Leno-Era Tonight Show during the "Who Want's to be a Superhero?" open auditions thingy.
LagannImpact

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2009 11:35 am Reply with quote
The real question is this: did anyone think that, with anime disappearing from one of its most faithful TV sources [adult swim] in 2008 (except for one day of the week, and that's not even counting the "craptacular encore Saturday" fiasco) that it would be mainstream enough to be mentioned on The Tonight Show a year later? Not that I can see!
OrochimaruAnko

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2009 12:54 pm Reply with quote
That was pretty funny and it seemed that Tony Oliver was having a lot of fun with it too.
nagato316

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2009 12:59 pm Reply with quote
LagannImpact wrote:
The real question is this: did anyone think that, with anime disappearing from...[adult swim] in 2008...that it would be mainstream enough to be mentioned on The Tonight Show a year later? Not that I can see!

Of course it would have never happened if Leno still helmed The Tonight Show. Anime clearly "fits" more into Conan territory for reasons that were apparent in the Bang Zoom studios segment. But seeing mainstream media (NBC) acknowledging anime's presence (even if it does perpetuate the common misconceptions held by non-otaku, albeit in a well-natured way) is definitely a good thing.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 6 of 7