• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Funimation Starts Initiative for Co-Producing Anime

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sailor S

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2009 9:47 pm Reply with quote
vashfanatic wrote:
Prede wrote:
Agreed. That's like saying "Uh-oh Funimation is releaseing anime in boxsets now. CPM, ADV, and Geneon did that, and look what happened to them! I am noticing a pattern here! It seems whatever company releases anime in a boxset, that company has problems. " That logic is deeply flawed.

The sun goes up after my alarm clock rings, so my alarm clock causes the sun to rise!

Then stop setting that damn thing. I hate when the sun goes and ruins a perfectly good morning by waking me up and forcing me to see it.

I trust Funimation to know what they're doing. It's not like they've been sitting here with their heads in the sand while CPM, ADV, and Geneon folded up (Well, ADV did their thing and are still around, but you know) so I think Funi has a good idea of what they can handle and likely base a lot of these big decisions on worse case scenario. They have access to a lot more figures than anyone in this topic so I'm not going to concern myself over what they do too much.
Egan Loo

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2009 9:49 pm Reply with quote
Prede wrote:
Egan Loo wrote:
Prede wrote:
It's not just those companies. That practice goes all the way back to when CPM co-produced MD Geist in the 90's. They were the first to do it. That sequel would not have been made if not for CPM's money.

M.D. Geist II - Death Force premiered in 1996. The first Ghost in the Shell anime film, which Andy Frain of Manga co-produced and which would not have been made if not for Manga's money, premiered in 1995.

John O'Donnell seems to think differently then you.

"CPM did the world's first true anime co-production, when we did MD Geist: Death Force with Nippon Columbia in the early 90's. This was the first time that a US and Japanese company split the production budget 50-50 for an anime production, with shared scenario planning, mutual copyrights and perpetual distribution rights. This OVA hit #8 on the Billboard sales charts when we released it. " - from DVD vision interview

I was not aware that the original Ghost in the Shell movie was co-produced by Manga Ent. Are you sure?

M.D. Geist II's distinction is arguably the shared scenario planning, but Manga's co-production of the first Ghost in the Shell film predates it. Andy Frain made personal appearances to talk about his involvement at the film's premieres in various countries, including the Japanese premiere. Animage even posted an interview with him before the film's release.
sdhd

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2009 9:59 pm Reply with quote
Hopefully it becomes successful.

Last edited by sdhd on Mon Nov 23, 2009 10:17 pm; edited 1 time in total
jsieczka

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2009 10:08 pm Reply with quote
Prede wrote:
Egan Loo wrote:
Prede wrote:
It's not just those companies. That practice goes all the way back to when CPM co-produced MD Geist in the 90's. They were the first to do it. That sequel would not have been made if not for CPM's money.

M.D. Geist II - Death Force premiered in 1996. The first Ghost in the Shell anime film, which Andy Frain of Manga co-produced and which would not have been made if not for Manga's money, premiered in 1995.

John O'Donnell seems to think differently then you.

"CPM did the world's first true anime co-production, when we did MD Geist: Death Force with Nippon Columbia in the early 90's. This was the first time that a US and Japanese company split the production budget 50-50 for an anime production, with shared scenario planning, mutual copyrights and perpetual distribution rights. This OVA hit #8 on the Billboard sales charts when we released it. " - from DVD vision interview

I was not aware that the original Ghost in the Shell movie was co-produced by Manga Ent. Are you sure? Either way I was pointing out that this practice goes all the way back to the 90's. And I was also pointing out that CPM was not listed in the news article, even though ADV, Bandai, Manga Ent, Media Blasters and even Urban Vision are. I think CPM should be listed too.

Both Manga and Bandai Entertainment were on the Production Committee for Ghost in the Shell, hence why they are involved in all new productions.

Quote:
The Japanese studios are just paid to do the work but don't own the rights to the content, where revenue flows back to license holders. So unless Funimation wants to do Otaku Show #2871 we won't be seeing such shows either.

Not always many of the large studios are on Production Committees, Kimi ni Todoke for example has: D.N. Dream Partners (production company), NTV (broadcaster), Production I.G (studio), Shueisha (publisher) and VAP (Distributor). These are the normal make up with and ad agencies and music companies being the other routine investors.
configspace

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2009 10:33 pm Reply with quote
jsieczka wrote:
Quote:
The Japanese studios are just paid to do the work but don't own the rights to the content, where revenue flows back to license holders. So unless Funimation wants to do Otaku Show #2871 we won't be seeing such shows either.

Not always many of the large studios are on Production Committees, Kimi ni Todoke for example has: D.N. Dream Partners (production company), NTV (broadcaster), Production I.G (studio), Shueisha (publisher) and VAP (Distributor). These are the normal make up with and ad agencies and music companies being the other routine investors.

True but Production I.G is pretty big and large enough studio to help in their own financing compared to say, TNK which was the studio for School Days. For that, rights are owned by Marvelous, Avex, Lantis, etc.

So if Funi does not want to use the subsequent income to do those niche shows, then it's up to whomever they partner with and also depends on the how much of a share those co-producers get (which in turn depends on how much they finance).

We don't know who the other producers will be; but while I can't say for sure of course, I personally doubt they will be the kind of smaller investors we see in other shows: like Figma, Good Smile, Pony Canyon, Avex, Lantis.. all of these sponsors have little to gain from advertising (reason for investing) to a primarily US audience. It's these kind of members that will in turn help produce or sponsor the next 'otaku show'
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2009 12:50 am Reply with quote
sunflower wrote:
Frankly, this fills me with dread. Have we ever seen any American anime company attempt to become original producers and it turned out well? Where are those companies today?

You're implying a causation that in fact does not exist. I really wouldn't say didn't turn out well. In fact, I'd say it turned out really freakin awesome

The_Libertarian_Otaku wrote:
You forgot Central Park Media (MD Geist).

Shiroi Hane wrote:
Don't forget Ninja Scroll [TV]

Er...Well, sometimes it's awesome. Sometimes not so much.

Richard J. wrote:
Really, I'm not seeing this doom cloud others are. Where is this Funimation Derangement Syndrome coming from? Why are you people filled with rage at them for succeeding where the other companies have failed? Do you hate the more successful Japanese companies too?

Bah. They're nerds on the internet. They hate everything.

The King of Harts wrote:
I see this as brown nosing at its finest. It's like them saying, "See, we help make your shows. We love you, we care about you. Now let us get the license to 'Show X' for half price. Please Very Happy !"

Which, of course, isn't a bad idea and I love every bit of it.

Yeah...that might be plausible if Japanese anime companies were run by small children. Otherwise...no. I sort of doubt a company is going to make blatantly bad decisions and sacrifice major licensing revenue in the future just for a bit of invested cash in the sort term.
Prede

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2009 1:32 am Reply with quote
ikillchicken wrote:

The_Libertarian_Otaku wrote:
You forgot Central Park Media (MD Geist).

Shiroi Hane wrote:
Don't forget Ninja Scroll [TV]

Er...Well, sometimes it's awesome. Sometimes not so much.

Awesome or not is not the point. Those series sold, really well even for their times. That's why they got sequels and more shows like them If people speak up with their money on some higher quality stuff, perhaps that's what would be made into sequels instead. Still it seems there were a lot of people who liked those shows, or at least wanted to buy them. Maybe to them they were good shows. Their opinion is different then mine though, at least if the little of MD Geist that I saw can represent the entire show. All that matters is sales though. So be sure to buy the shows you like!

Last edited by Prede on Tue Nov 24, 2009 1:51 am; edited 3 times in total
bayoab

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2009 1:50 am Reply with quote
unready wrote:
1. Being on the production committee means there are no licensing restrictions. There are no goofy ones. There are no sane ones for quality control, either, but we'll see how that goes.

So:
No approving translations with someone in Japan.
No approving spelling of credits with someone in Japan.
No having to acquire the rights to the soundtrack separately.

I don't think being on the production committee changes anything about approvals and it definitely doesn't change song rights. If they choose to use some american band (Radiohead, Backstreet Boys, etc) for some BGM in Japan, you are still completely SOL when it comes to getting the US rights.

configspace wrote:
We don't know who the other producers will be; but while I can't say for sure of course, I personally doubt they will be the kind of smaller investors we see in other shows: like Figma, Good Smile, Pony Canyon, Avex, Lantis.. all of these sponsors have little to gain from advertising (reason for investing) to a primarily US audience. It's these kind of members that will in turn help produce or sponsor the next 'otaku show'
You are forgetting to play six degrees of Japanese company incest. Lantis is part of Bandai Namco (owner of Bandai USA) and has business deals with iTunes US. Pony Canyon is related to Fujisankei which has various US interests and TV stations. Good Smile company actually has US distributors like AAA anime. And the list goes on and on. Finding a mostly independent company like Gonzo isn't easy.
hikaru004

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2009 2:22 am Reply with quote
CCSYueh wrote:
But we also see where most of the companies that did that have ended up. Tactics was one of ADV's co-funded titles as I recall from a Comic-con & then they chose to not issue it. If you look on the credits, some of them do include ADV, but I'm not going over all my ADV anime to see which they have their name in the Japanese side of the credits.
Geneon USA was behind the Hellsing OVA from what I've heard.
Manga-Dead Leaves & Karas.

Geneon is actually a part of a Japanese company so they don't count imo.

Manga: Karas, a title that didn't do well in Japan prob because it wasn't targeting its Japanese audience too well.

another forum DVD sales wrote:

KARAS (OVA) (Tatsunoko Production)
2009/10/28 *1,403 Full Episode Edition (Six OVA episodes)

Strat Jacket (another Manga coproduction), can't find data on this one.

To this day, we still haven't seen the original release version of both titles grace US shores in a store despite US money funding it.

So this is another version of an anime company coproducing American comic X into an anime? If it gives them more money to get us better audio on the BDs for anime that I want, then go for it. It's not like I have to buy the product if its shitty.
Ai no Kareshi

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2009 6:40 am Reply with quote
When I read the article, I got this cold feeling when I considered the prospect of American minds on the TV adaption of Japanese manga, but when I read the posts in the forum it kind of dawned on me how unlikely that actually is and I feel a little better now.

Onizuka666 wrote:
Stuff that would make good anime:
Bioshock

If they can make this happen, consider me pretty much sold on the idea. Cool
dentedonion

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2009 11:45 am Reply with quote
hikaru004 wrote:

Geneon is actually a part of a Japanese company so they don't count imo.

Actually, Hellsing was only revived because viewers in the US had a strong interest in it, right? I'm pretty sure it wasn't particularly popular in Japan. There was a market for it here, so they were able to make it happen. There had to have been some input from the US division of that company.
Primus

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2009 12:19 pm Reply with quote
New DragonBall series confirmed?! Laughing
kikiyo2

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2009 12:26 pm Reply with quote
No!!! This is exactly what the industry doesn't need. The only way for the industry to ever take off is for the Japanese to release stuff here themselves. This will only entrench these unnecessary middlemen more. So now fans will have to deal with waiting for licensing negotiations and expensive dubbing costs added on. WAKE UP JAPAN! The last thing we need is more shitty American adaptations.
pparker

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2009 1:26 pm Reply with quote
kikiyo2 wrote:
No!!! This is exactly what the industry doesn't need. The only way for the industry to ever take off is for the Japanese to release stuff here themselves. This will only entrench these unnecessary middlemen more. So now fans will have to deal with waiting for licensing negotiations and expensive dubbing costs added on. WAKE UP JAPAN! The last thing we need is more shitty American adaptations.

The Japanese haven't done so great, if you include Bandai(s) and Geneon as direct subsidiaries under the ultimate control of Japanese parents. They released my favorite titles, true, but one died and the other seems suicidal based on recent packaging decisions.

Odds are Funi will make money on these deals, as they'll be helping create anime that will sell broadly in the U.S. That hopefully, someday, allows and encourages them to take risks on licensing more arty titles that appeal only to niche audiences (that they didn't co-produce).

In any case, the R1 companies aren't "middlemen". They localize anime to the U.S. market, which is essential for broad appeal. A Japanese publisher that tried to localize anime to the U.S. without having a subsidiary here, staffed by locals, would almost certainly fail to please the market. Anway... this subject has been beat to death elsewhere.
Tenchi

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2009 1:33 pm Reply with quote
I doubt I'd care about any titles created specifically to appeal to audiences on both sides of the Pacific, but, if this leads to FUNimation co-producing, say, a new season of Ichigo Mashimaro/Strawberry Marshmallow, I'd be happy to be wrong.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 6 of 11