• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Gainax's Newest Is Panty & Stocking with Garterbelt

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Megiddo

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2010 9:11 pm Reply with quote
LordRedhand wrote:
Never really cared for Dragon Ball but I believe there is a distinct difference between how one would describe the series compared to how this one has been pitched. Also lead versus minor in terms of character.
I really don't see how so. Bulma in Dragon Ball was 16 and was boy-crazy. In fact, the whole reason she wanted the dragon balls was so she could wish for a "perfect" boyfriend. I don't see how that's much different.

Also, you're calling Bulma a minor character? lolol.
KoujiTamino

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2010 9:22 pm Reply with quote
Apollo-kun wrote:

OR they could take it the route of some of their lesser works ("He is my Master", anybody?), and morph it into fan service-oriented moe dreck. I guess we'll just have to wait it out and see. Confused

That show is hardly moe. Hell, unless you're a masochist I don't see how you could even find any of the girls in that show 'moe'. It was a mean-spirited gag show, and that's exactly why I liked it. Smile Nothing revolutionary, sure, but I sure found it amusing enough.

Last edited by KoujiTamino on Fri May 07, 2010 12:59 am; edited 1 time in total
LordRedhand

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2010 9:28 pm Reply with quote
Setting for one, fantasy vs. 1900's U.K. Take Dragon Balls cannon and how they react to the name, now imagine those names in 1900's U.K.? Different reaction.

Researching further, yes Bulma is a support character, a secondary character, thus not lead according to popular opinion

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bulma

So I stand buy what I say.
Megiddo

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2010 9:31 pm Reply with quote
LordRedhand wrote:
Setting for one, fantasy vs. 1900's U.K. Take Dragon Balls cannon and how they react to the name, now imagine those names in 1900's U.K.? Different reaction.

Researching further, yes Bulma is a support character, a secondary character, thus not lead according to popular opinion

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bulma

So I stand buy what I say.

Look at the second "Main character" http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Dragon_Ball_characters#Main_characters
Zipper

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2010 9:38 pm Reply with quote
Bulma was a main character in DragonBall as she actually participated in most of the adventures with the rest of the gang and played a big role. But she faded off into minor character territory in Z and GT.
LordRedhand

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2010 9:44 pm Reply with quote
Well by that list the main cast of friends and villains all become main characters, there is a difference between main and lead. There can only be one! is something to keep in mind with a lead as a main character can play second fiddle, and as the series progress characters can go down, further and further.
7ThIsGod

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2010 10:17 pm Reply with quote
The lameness and ignorance in this thread hurts my brain.

And it really shows how most people that claim to be Gainax fans know nothing about Gainax at all.

DrizzlingEnthalpy wrote:
Zipper wrote:
Gunbuster. Fanservice? Sure, but it was a work with a lot of heart and was unique at the time. Consider it the Gurren Lagann of the 80s.
But Gunbuster actually contained content not previously seen in earlier mecha anime. It had its share of borderline-plagiaristic pastiches (Aim for the Ace, Space Runaway Ideon), but it actually did new things, primarily with relativity. Gurren Lagann was nothing but pastiches, throwbacks and parodies. It certainly was fun, though. I guess you could consider it the anime series equivalent of Avatar: same everything you've seen before, but with much better animation.

Please tell me you're not serious.
Shay Guy

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2010 10:37 pm Reply with quote
At the very beginning of Dragon Ball, Bulma was the co-protagonist and one of only two characters appearing in the first chapter. She only became a supporting character after the first arc ended.
diebuster

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2010 10:40 pm Reply with quote
I know it's weird saying this considering the name I just picked but... Gunbuster was okay, but the way people put it on a pedestal and think of it as anime at its absolute best is pretty sad. It had a lot of stuff going for it but it was also massively flawed and had tons of plot holes and inconsistencies. Not to mention that aside from the time dilation thing and introducing tit bouncing to anime (OH MAN INNOVATION), it simply wasn't all that creative.
Quote:
Guys, chillax. Has no one ever seen an anime by Imaishi??? If nothing else, we know for a fact that the animation is gonna be awesome. And even if it's gonna be fanservice-y, the series will be probably be too over-the-top to be aroused/offended by it. I'm definitely looking forward to it.

Also this. A THOUSAND TIMES THIS.

The people who expect this to be like He Is My Master or something like that have absolutely no idea who Hiroyuki Imaishi is and what the man's work is like. He can take ANYTHING and make it incredibly stylish and badass - go watch his episode of Petite Princess Yucie for god's sake.

You also need to watch episode 1 of RE: Cutie Honey, also by Imaishi. It's filled with bouncing tits and whatnot, but it also has amazing art direction and animation and is simply a blast to watch. I *dare* you to not have fun with it.
Shadowrun20XX

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2010 10:44 pm Reply with quote
Zipper wrote:
Gainax series of old were certainly far more than fanservice and definitely more than fanservice for fanservice sake. It wasn't until Mahoromatic that things began to get out of hand. Then we started seeing series like He is My Master, This Ugly and Beautiful World, etc.
With that avi of Nadia, you no doubt know a lot about Gainax. Gainax has done a ton of other things, especially fanservicy type titles that the mainstream will never know about. You listed a bunch of the mainstream titles. I own several of their hentai games as well as games for the PCE.

They are falling back in to place. It goes around. It will go back to what you want eventually. Look how well the Eva rehashes are doing. They are probably getting more funding for another blockbuster.

Last edited by Shadowrun20XX on Thu May 06, 2010 11:08 pm; edited 1 time in total
enurtsol

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2010 10:59 pm Reply with quote
Who doesn't love panties and stockings and garterbelts?!
What's that I hear? I think Hollywood is calling!
Where's WETA when ya need 'em?! Laughing
Sam Murai

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2010 11:26 pm Reply with quote
I guess this'll be GAINAX's otaku bait for the year. Not the most scintillating or groundbreaking of ideas (namely the characters), but Imaishi's involvement makes it worthwhile alone, since his style could certainly make things interesting. The concept, basic as it is, is almost like Shikabane Hime meets Di Gi Charat, which makes it passingly intriguing in that light, alone. I'll give them credit on the title, though; it's cute.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
DangerMouse

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2010 11:29 pm Reply with quote
diebuster wrote:
Quote:
Guys, chillax. Has no one ever seen an anime by Imaishi??? If nothing else, we know for a fact that the animation is gonna be awesome. And even if it's gonna be fanservice-y, the series will be probably be too over-the-top to be aroused/offended by it. I'm definitely looking forward to it.

Also this. A THOUSAND TIMES THIS.

The people who expect this to be like He Is My Master or something like that have absolutely no idea who Hiroyuki Imaishi is and what the man's work is like. He can take ANYTHING and make it incredibly stylish and badass - go watch his episode of Petite Princess Yucie for god's sake.

You also need to watch episode 1 of RE: Cutie Honey, also by Imaishi. It's filled with bouncing tits and whatnot, but it also has amazing art direction and animation and is simply a blast to watch. I *dare* you to not have fun with it.

Yeah, as long as it's actually "a show by Imaishi and Otsuka about angels battling ghosts" this has the potential to be totally awesome with godly animation and obviously some Gainax fanservice (Yoko's outfit in TTGL). And they've got the Gurren character designer so the character designs should be good too.

If this weren't the Imaishi show I'd certainly be worried this would be the next romantic comedy/fanservice heavy fluff show that they tend to put out in between their "big" stuff, but it'd be odd if he were on an "in-between project" and he hasn't really done those and as you said this is the type of absurd basic description he'll somehow turn into a fun and stylish action piece.
4nBlue

PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2010 3:25 am Reply with quote
Just as a reminder this (not exactly NSFW, but you might get some weird looks if someone sees the dialog in the image) was Gainax's cash cow before Evangelion.
Shadowrun20XX

PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2010 3:58 am Reply with quote
4nBlue wrote:
Just as a reminder this (not exactly NSFW, but you might get some weird looks if someone sees the dialog in the image) was Gainax's cash cow before Evangelion.
Princess Maker came a long ways. Don't forget titles like Cybernetic Hi-School 1-4, Ape Hunter J and Super Battle Skin Panik.

Good Times. I'll have to dig those out.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 6 of 10