• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
BECK: Mongolian Chop Squad (TV).

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DemonEyesLeo

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2007 10:03 am Reply with quote
Stuff like Limp Bizkit: heavy guitars like you'd find in metal, but with hip-hop vocals and sometimes a DJ.
ashere65

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2007 7:05 pm Reply with quote
DemonEyesLeo wrote:
Stuff like Limp Bizkit: heavy guitars like you'd find in metal, but with hip-hop vocals and sometimes a DJ.

Don't forget Linkin Park :p

Also just bought Vol.2... this is where the show comes firing on all cylinders especially as you have the band forming in this batch of episodes. Also the dubbing seems more natural for all the characters too.

Alestal: maybe it was just me, anyways I cede my argument.
Alestal

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2007 6:50 am Reply with quote
DemonEyesLeo wrote:
I see. I'll have to watch the dub to find out. (I like Limp Bizkit)
Riko-Chan

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2007 3:01 pm Reply with quote
I love Beck Mongolian Chop Squad. I'd have to say my favorite male character was Tairo. And my fave female character is Maho I am up to ep 2 but I haven't gotten around to watching that episode.
DemonEyesLeo

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2007 4:27 pm Reply with quote
Alestal wrote:
DemonEyesLeo wrote:
I see. I'll have to watch the dub to find out. (I like Limp Bizkit)

You might be a bit disappointed then. Beck sounds doesn't sound like Limp Bizkit, they've got more punk than anything and no DJ. I'd say they come pretty close to Rage Against The Machine than any other band; Ryusuke's even influenced by Tom Morello. And you don't need to watch the dub to hear this, the sound is prevalent in Japanese as well.
BigSmokin

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2007 10:18 pm Reply with quote
I keep seeing ads for it on ANN for vol. 3, and I was wondering is it any good, or is it just a crap shoot? Is the story mainly about a teenage-looking boy who just sings, or is there more to the story than singing (like romance or something)?
blind_assassin

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2007 11:29 pm Reply with quote
The story has considerably more depth than just some random jerkass singing. I'd highly recommend it as it's really a very good anime. There isn't a huge amount of romance though. There is some but the show focuses more on friendship/fellowship than the romance aspect.
the Rancorous

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2007 12:01 am Reply with quote
I remember reading a Netflix reveiw that said something along the lines of "if you're tired of the usual 'chosen one who must save the world' setup, then Beck is the anime for you." But honestly, I found it to be another "my life is dull, I need to change it somehow," and this time music is the answer. The 1st volume bored me to death, and I throw part of this blame on the hype this series has been getting. However, seeing the popularity of it, I guess it must bee doing something right, so it may very well just not be 'my cup-o-tea.' If anything, give it a rental, you can't lose there Wink
jetz

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2007 12:14 am Reply with quote
I liked it, but I didn't like the main character (Koyuki). He's probably one of the most annoying main characters I've ever seen. spoiler[He's one crybaby and he gets bullied all of the time.]

Anyway, it's not just about the music and the band's rise to fame. There are also romance elements (a few, like blind_assassin said), focusing mostly on spoiler[Koyuki and Maho's ]relationship. There's also some comedy, but I don't guarantee that you'll get a lot of laughs from it.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Randall Miyashiro

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2007 4:48 am Reply with quote
The series is ranked way up at #67 on this site. I personally really like this series which in my opinion follows the "sports anime" structure. The series protagonist learns from a high school teacher, a role model and a rival and must go from rookie to master while having a crush on his role model's sister etc. The series is really well done despite the conventional structure (as of volume 3) and features some fantastic music,
DemonEyesLeo

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2007 11:37 am Reply with quote
I'm a huge fan of rock music, so Beck is one of my favorites. Yeah you can point out several archetypes: a little teen angst, some budding romance, the core of the story; but what makes Beck special is that this is done in a more realistic setting with more believable characters. You could just rent the first volume and see what it does for you.
xanbcoo

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2007 4:01 pm Reply with quote
jetz wrote:
I liked it, but I didn't like the main character (Koyuki). He's probably one of the most annoying main characters I've ever seen. spoiler[He's one crybaby and he gets bullied all of the time.]

I think the very first episode tore down this stereotype pretty well, when he threw himself in front of the gang who thought he and his friends trashed the car.

Nowhere in the series does it make a huge deal of Koyuki being bullied, or a spineless wimp. He's just an average guy. Probably more sheltered and quiet than most, but def. not a "crybaby".

That said, I really like Beck. The music in it is pretty darn great, and "Spice of Life" has one of the most fun bass lines I've ever heard.
Full_Metal1923

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2007 11:30 pm Reply with quote
I thorooughly enjoyed BECK. When I first saw it, I didn't even know there was an anime called BECK. Nonetheless, with no expectations it turned out great and the music is also very good and I'm a person who isn't big on rock based music however there are a number genres heard throughout the anime.

It's probably one of my most influencial movies as it really got my mind into doing something musically, I could've gone with the guitar which would make most sense if I was merely drawing inspiration from BECK but I am learning the piano because of Michiru Oshima, Joe Hisaishi, and other composers who make use of the keyboard that I enjoy.

The anime does have relationship elements and in some ways handled mroe maturely that most other anime. I think you should at least give it a try.
jetz

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2007 12:21 am Reply with quote
xanbcoo wrote:
jetz wrote:

I think the very first episode tore down this stereotype pretty well, when he threw himself in front of the gang who thought he and his friends trashed the car.

Nowhere in the series does it make a huge deal of Koyuki being bullied, or a spineless wimp. He's just an average guy. Probably more sheltered and quiet than most, but def. not a "crybaby".

That said, I really like Beck. The music in it is pretty darn great, and "Spice of Life" has one of the most fun bass lines I've ever heard.

I still think he's a crybaby though. I've seen him cry at least 2 times during the series.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
banas

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2007 3:08 am Reply with quote
Beck is a good anime. It has a singing boy in it ok but what I really like in it is the music. Those guitars.. But I don't like the animation that much, it's not really what I usually see so..
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 6 of 10