• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Hey, Answerman! - Futile Devices

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kakoishii

PostPosted: Sat Jan 29, 2011 8:09 pm Reply with quote
Charred Knight wrote:
kakoishii wrote:
Charred Knight wrote:
kakoishii wrote:

It was things like itunes and music subscription services that brought on the forward advancement, and although the anime industry has new streaming services in place there is still more that they could do with a little imagination. It almost feels as though they've given up, thrown their hands up in frustration and while watching the industry shrink to nothing decided they might as well try and make a few bucks on the side by sewing a few kids for downloading one piece, but seriously is this the future? Is this the end all be all save all for anime? I don't think so, but what's scary is that I think a lot of fans do.

What other options? You can already download digitally, you can watch it streaming for free, or you could buy the DVDs. What fansubbers want is for Funimation to give away the product for free which isn't feasible. Would I love to watch every anime series I can? Of course, but I don't have that right nor could anyone make money in that type of situation.

what other options indeed, but just because you can't think of any doesn't mean they don't exist. I personally would like to see more subscription services like crunchyroll offers giving fans an option to purchase a monthly or yearly fee to watch all the anime they want comercial free. Or even if it was with commercials but giving the viewer the option to fastforward through ala tivo or dvr or if they pay. Thinking outside the box even more it would be nice to see funi go on some of their own original ventures that is to say original anime of their own in addition to what they license from overseas. I don't think there's anything wrong with funi incorporating a little more imagination in how to keep their business growing. It's a lot more forward thinking than suing people.

Here's the thing, people in America still illegally download anime they could watch through Crunchyroll, you can't defeat a group of people who don't have any cost associated to it.

uh-huh, and people will continue to pirate not just anime but music and movies and tv shows they can see whenever they want with a cable subscription. The point isn't to defeat piracy. You can give people all the cheapest options to get all the entertainment they want and there will still be people who feel entitled to have it for free. That will never change. Things like this have been going on forever. The point is to continue saturating the market with as many legal alternatives to make the dent that piracy causes to be not as damaging. Why do you think companies like funimation even went the legal stream route? Quite obviously it's because it was no longer practical to rely solely on dvd sales to keep them afloat economically. That ship has sailed and it's never coming back. Creating as many cash flow routes as possible is what they need to do and continue to do to give the industry a fighting chance.
Paploo

PostPosted: Sat Jan 29, 2011 8:29 pm Reply with quote
Rinnon wrote:
Preface: I live in Canada, so I'm not able to get Funimation Streams. I have a premium Crunchyroll account (which I pay for monthly, and am happy to do). I purchase DVDs of Anime that I already have downloaded, because I want to own it. (I finally Bought Initial D just yesterday.)

http://www.youtube.com/funimation Actually, Funimation's YouTube account is perfectly accessible in Canada, as are the videos on their website that aren't hosted by Hulu. There are over 124 series available on their YouTube account. For some reason, One Piece isn't listed at the moment though.

And if you click on ANN's video tab, Funimation's titles on ANN's video system are available in Canada too- most of the titles they stream are, with a few exceptions.

Their video portal looks to be undergoing maintenance at the moment- maybe that explains their sudden switch to Hulu hosted streams? I'd been able to watch eps of different shows there in the recent past [Birdy the Mighty ep 1, and first eps of My Bride is a Mermaid and Baccano] on their own player, so I'm guessing once that's back, we should be good to go for FUni-site only streams
Rinnon

PostPosted: Sat Jan 29, 2011 8:51 pm Reply with quote
Alright, cool, I stand corrected. It might have been a coincidence that every video I wanted to watch was hosted by Hulu. I tried watching Fractale a while back only to find it wasn't available in my Area. I'll use the ANN one next time then.

Thanks for the tip. =D

Edit: I still stand by everything else I said though. =)
Paploo

PostPosted: Sat Jan 29, 2011 8:54 pm Reply with quote
Rinnon wrote:
Alright, cool, I stand corrected. It might have been a coincidence that every video I wanted to watch was hosted by Hulu. I tried watching Fractale a while back only to find it wasn't available in my Area. I'll use the ANN one next time then.

Thanks for the tip. =D

http://www.youtube.com/show/fractale Fractale's on their YouTube page. I've watched the opening bits on it, so it's accessible here.

Not sure exactly how the ANN site's series sort out for FUni- OnePiece only has a sample ep that looks to be US-only, while other series I've clicked on like Shigurui are accessible. I'm guessing the sampler ep of One Piece is an exception. Funi's OP website states that the streams are available in the US+Canada, so I imagine at some point they'll have it on YouTube or their own player again.
Zarquon

PostPosted: Sat Jan 29, 2011 11:13 pm Reply with quote
shoddyworksucks wrote:

That said, I think the primary issue is the piracy of series like One Piece that ARE easily available through legal streaming sites. I don't take issue with someone pirating a series that hasn't been released in the U.S., but I can't fathom why someone would still watch pirated subs when the legal route is free and easy now. Due to this, the streaming and simulcasting has made a significant impact on Bittorrent numbers.

You seem to misunderstand the point I was trying to make. legal streaming sites may not work for everyone. I used myself as an example because I cannot use a site like Crunchyroll because I simply cannot get enough bandwidth from the ISP. The streaming model doesn't work for everyone, and really what I was trying to get across is the idea that outside their DVD and streaming methods, the industry is limiting itself in the channels it can use.

I was not trying to sound as hard on the industry as i came across (5am and all that), I do think that there are moves to be made that they can make within the digital downloading fanbase that would actually increase their position rather than weaken it. I firmly believe that a portion of the illicit downloading community would jump at a legal and quality-controlled option. I could be wrong on that but I think it's something that could be explored.
shoddyworksucks

PostPosted: Sun Jan 30, 2011 12:06 am Reply with quote
What other avenues are available? Television is the golden solution to this problem, but broadcasters don't want to air anime right now. That's not the industry's fault. Plus, attempts to create their own TV channels have basically failed since they were buried in deep cable or available only in limited markets. The only other option is for Funimation and others to allow users to download episodes from their site. Problem is, how do you monetize that? With streaming, they at least get some form of return on ad revenue, as little as that is. Even if Funimation included ads in their downloads, there's no way to test their efficacy without violating user privacy. Without some hard data about how often they're viewed, advertisers might not be willing to buy the space (and no, advertisers won't use simple download data, they want something more concrete than that).
Covnam

PostPosted: Sun Jan 30, 2011 12:52 am Reply with quote
nokishoff wrote:
I actually like Vexille more than Appleseed. Go figure. Never seen Cat Shit One.

Damn it Covnam now I want to try a bunch of new cakes. Smile

Hehe, job well done then I think Smile
gingi789

PostPosted: Sun Jan 30, 2011 2:49 am Reply with quote
I think Funimation does a decent job on it's subs; though, if you're not fluent in Japanese, how're you going to know the difference? Just a question......

My only gripe with Funi is that I wish they'd get around to acting on some of the licenses they've announced *cough* Shana II, Baka to Test *cough*. May be a pet peeve, but that's just me. (And when i say acting, i mean release on DVD or Blu-Ray)

And any time I want to whine and gripe about how much I paid for a series (say, $49.99 for all of Claymore on Blu-ray) i just go and look at the price of one Blu-ray in japan (HSOTD, $85.00) In comparison, we get our anime pretty cheap. So if Funi wants to go after the people who are illegally downloading their property (since they purchased the rights to the property in the USA, it is their property) then they should. Of course, doing that did nothing to really stop Napster (and Kazaa and Limewire and whatever else is used now), but I suppose symbolically, it'll mean something. (kinda like the mother who got stuck with the multi-million dollar fine just for downloading 24 songs-the link is below)

I think the best thing that Funi and the rest are doing is what they're doing now-which is providing legal streams. That might entice people who were thinking about downloading from a different source into watching it legally. It won't matter for the people who would never have paid, because of course, they wouldn't have paid for it anyway.

http://new.music.yahoo.com/blogs/amplifier/148/minnesota-mom-hit-with-15-million-fine-for-downloading-24-songs/
vashfanatic

PostPosted: Sun Jan 30, 2011 9:22 am Reply with quote
gingi789 wrote:
I think Funimation does a decent job on it's subs; though, if you're not fluent in Japanese, how're you going to know the difference? Just a question......

As someone who's proficient in Japanese, they do a great job translating, barring the occasional annoyance with honorifics (watched half of Eden of the East last night,where they don't use honorifics in spite of it being in Japan, whereas in Baccano! they did; are they getting a message from fans, or just astonishingly irregular?). The subtitles and their legibility... I think I'm growing fonder of yellow. Still, like I said, they doa great job translating, and I'd rather have to squint once in a while then put up with CR's insistence on leaving "baka" untranslated in Level E. Wtf is up with that?
writerpatrick

PostPosted: Sun Jan 30, 2011 10:29 am Reply with quote
shoddyworksucks wrote:
What other avenues are available? Television is the golden solution to this problem, but broadcasters don't want to air anime right now. That's not the industry's fault. Plus, attempts to create their own TV channels have basically failed since they were buried in deep cable or available only in limited markets. The only other option is for Funimation and others to allow users to download episodes from their site. Problem is, how do you monetize that? With streaming, they at least get some form of return on ad revenue, as little as that is. Even if Funimation included ads in their downloads, there's no way to test their efficacy without violating user privacy. Without some hard data about how often they're viewed, advertisers might not be willing to buy the space (and no, advertisers won't use simple download data, they want something more concrete than that).

If Funimation could get the revenue from advertisers then it wouldn't have a problem, but it takes effort to do that. It's easy to be lazy and expect the customers to pay your way.

But the North American TV market is based upon ad-supported free-first viewing. People are use to seeing a show for free and then deciding to buy it. Developing any sort of Pay-Per-View system for anime has that problem working against it.

Funimation and the others need to develop a world-wide online system that supports itself through advertising and other sources rather than relying upon customers. It's through those systems that the DVD sales are driven.

It requires work to do but it's not out of the question. It's not that they're giving away their material for free, rather it's that they're relying upon advertising revenue rather than customer revenue. It's easy not to buy a show you haven't seen and given the sheer volume of anime out there, anime fans can afford to be fussy nowadays.
Furudanuki

PostPosted: Sun Jan 30, 2011 10:51 am Reply with quote
vashfanatic wrote:
Still, like I said, they doa great job translating, and I'd rather have to squint once in a while then put up with CR's insistence on leaving "baka" untranslated in Level E. Wtf is up with that?

Because the character's name is Baka Ki El Dogra (バカ=キ=エル・ドグラ - Baka Ki Eru Dogura / Baka Ki El Dogra). It's a pun, of course, but it is perfectly correct to refer to him as Prince Baka (バカ王子 - Baka-ouji). Wink
mayo160

PostPosted: Sun Jan 30, 2011 12:44 pm Reply with quote
Nonaka Machine Gun B wrote:
Answerman wrote:
And even today, there is so much anime that gets released in Japan that could never be released in English or other languages. It's impossible. But One Piece? Naruto? Bleach? Seriously? I don't care that Funimation or Viz doesn't translate the attack names the "correct" way that you "like," and you feel like you need to resort to fansubs for that. You get no sympathy from me. Deal with it.

This sort of struck a chord in me. Considering that most people buying this stuff probably don't know Japanese, the translation's pretty important. Being "correct," is well, uhm, the bare minimum in what they should be doing, at least to me. That's not to say the series you used as examples are guilty of such; I am speaking generally. Money is hard to come by these days, and what I choose purchase better meet every criteria I have for it. I don't owe any company anything.

As for the Answerfans segment, it'd be nice if official subtitles didn't try to localize honorifics. That is what the dub is for. I am completely taken out of the moment if I am hearing the characters say "Kurosaki-kun" or "Inoue-san," yet I'm reading "Ichigo" and "Orihime." Even worse when it's inconsistent from episode to episode; proving they don't even have someone spot-checking these things. There's a line between adapting the material to flow and make sense in another language and just changing things.

spoiler[I didn't want to get too specific into Bleach, but there's a certain subtlety lost if you modify how the characters speak to each other. Ichigo refers to his schoolmates by their surnames with no honorifics, and Soul Reaper folk even less formally; just their first names.]

i feel that pain.... being a non-japanese speaker who knows another language which uses formal and casual/ad-hoc honorifics (hindi/urdu), unlike english, i'm well aware of how using them or not completely changes the tone and meaning of speech.....
agila61

PostPosted: Sun Jan 30, 2011 1:01 pm Reply with quote
Zarquon wrote:
I am not trying to defend the fansubbers, far from it. What gets me annoyed is watching a company come down like the hammer of god on some inscrupulous nerds when they spend the rest of the time dragging their feet and clinging to outdated business models.

writerpatrick wrote:
If Funimation could get the revenue from advertisers then it wouldn't have a problem, but it takes effort to do that. It's easy to be lazy and expect the customers to pay your way.

But the North American TV market is based upon ad-supported free-first viewing. People are use to seeing a show for free and then deciding to buy it. Developing any sort of Pay-Per-View system for anime has that problem working against it.

Funimation and the others need to develop a world-wide online system that supports itself through advertising and other sources rather than relying upon customers. It's through those systems that the DVD sales are driven.

It requires work to do but it's not out of the question. It's not that they're giving away their material for free, rather it's that they're relying upon advertising revenue rather than customer revenue. It's easy not to buy a show you haven't seen and given the sheer volume of anime out there, anime fans can afford to be fussy nowadays.
What are they going to do in the meantime while that market matures? The only streaming ad market that is anything like developed enough to provide modest revenues is in North America, but even in North America, advertisers do not pay as much for streaming ad views as they do for traditional ad markets.

Its easy to talk, as Zarquon does, of "clinging to outdated business models", but when its the outdated business model that pays the paychecks and you'd be lucky to be able to fund a monthly employee pizza party from the "new, modern" business models, then the "new" business model is not yet ready to shoulder the burden of the business.

And over and above that, Funimation nor any other international localizer and distributor cannot go faster or farther than they can get permission from Japan to go. It seems highly likely that the 1337 suit was to make someone in Japan happy.

shoddyworksucks wrote:
What other avenues are available? ... Plus, attempts to create their own TV channels have basically failed since they were buried in deep cable or available only in limited markets. ...
Note that Funimation seems to make a bigger share of their titles available for download than anyone else. Plus while linear anime channels have failed in the US ... and effectively failed in South America, since the Latin American "Animax" doesn't really do anime much anymore, and will be phasing it out entirely ... cable Video on Demand channels, both Funimation and TheAnimeNetwork, seem to be steadily adding new cable system. And, indeed, while TheAnimeNetwork may not be generating the volume required to pay for licenses and dubs all on its own, it must have been breaking even on its direct costs, otherwise spinning it off as a free-standing company when ADV was broken up into multiple pieces would not have worked.

Last edited by agila61 on Sun Jan 30, 2011 1:26 pm; edited 1 time in total
Charred Knight

PostPosted: Sun Jan 30, 2011 1:20 pm Reply with quote
correct, people need to become conditioned to going on Youtube and watching the legal streaming or going to funimation's websites. Most of the series averages less than 10,000 views. Even some of the best selling anime doesn't get that many views. I think the only series even close to averaging 100,000 views is FMA Brotherhood.

The problem is that as shown with this lawsuit most americans still watch fansubs instead of the legal streaming.
agila61

PostPosted: Sun Jan 30, 2011 1:37 pm Reply with quote
Charred Knight wrote:
correct, people need to become conditioned to going on Youtube and watching the legal streaming or going to funimation's websites. Most of the series averages less than 10,000 views. Even some of the best selling anime doesn't get that many views. I think the only series even close to averaging 100,000 views is FMA Brotherhood.
Note, though, that the YouTube channel is primarily to stream to the regular YouTube users, as well as to have a streaming outlet to Canada (which Hulu does not provide) ~ the video quality on Hulu is better, and without proprietary information from Funimation, we have no way of knowing whether YouTube is 1/2 of the views, 1/4 of the views, or 1/10 of the views for any given series.

That is, if a series ~ like House of Five Leave ~ is getting 3,000 views on YouTube and 3,000 on Hulu, that looks like Funimation is in "pay to play" territory, paying more to subtitle it than Funimation's share of ad revenues are likely to be. On the other hand, if its getting 3,000 views on YouTube and 30,000 views on Hulu, then Funimation ought to be breaking even on it, and likely getting a small surplus over localization and media mastering costs.

Its tempting to believe that the numbers we can see are representative, but since Hulu is the more lucrative of the two, there really is no way of telling if they are.

If Anime News Network wanted to make really useful contribution to the legit streaming market, they would establish a "queue" system at least as good as Hulu's (Hulu's is better than Crunchyroll's), but cross platform across ANN's streams, Crunchyroll, Funimation.com, Hulu, YouTube, TheAnimeNetwork and etc. Having one queue to legit titles, which links through to the episode page of whichever legit site carries the show, would help to overcome the fracturing the market that is an inevitable result of efforts to commercialize streaming.

And having that onsite would make that for series available on multiple outlets, ANN could post the percentage breakdown of views of series streaming on multiple sites. Even though that would not be a representative sample ~ its more information than we have at present.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 6 of 8