• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Fox News on Anime and Manga

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
astra

PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2005 9:54 pm Reply with quote
Championferret- Is it true that the Japanese seiyu pronounced Chobits so that it rhymed with Hobbits? If so, why didn't they just spell it Chabits? I thought they liked tea? Or perhaps you just have a different way of pronouncing hobbits. As in you dirty ho, the HOEbits? Perhaps you are confused, hmm?
Really people, Japanese is not hard to pronounce at all. Just pull out any book and you should be able to figure it out. A I U E O. Ma Mi Mu Me Mo. Ga Gi Gu Ge Go. N. Ma N Ga.
championferret

PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2005 5:43 am Reply with quote
Starwind Amada wrote:
championferret wrote:
Cloe wrote:
championferret wrote:
Then again, americans have never been able to properly pronounce the vowel 'o' for some reason, going 'ar' or a horrible 'oh' sound like how they pronounced 'Chobits', even though the japanese say it so it rhymes with 'hobbits'.

What? "Chobits" IS pronounced with a long "oh" sound in Japanese. The original title is ‚¿‚å‚Ñ‚Áƒc, which is literally "cho bi tsu" (pronounced "choh bee tsu.") And "manga" in Japanese, –Ÿ‰æ, is correctly pronounced "mahn gah." But all of that is irrelevant to my point. In American phonetics, the short "o" does sound like "ah" in words like "not" or "pot." And the long "o" sounds like "oh" as in "foe" or "toe." And in dictionary terms, it's absolutely correct. For you to take an entire country's dialect and assert that it's mis-pronouncation because you happen to pronounce words differently is ridiculous. Also, if you took the time to read the text under Mohawk's avatar (the person whose text you chose to ridicule), you'll see he's not even American! Yeesh. Talk about false presumptions.

I was having a laugh, that's all. And Chobits is not pronounced the way they say it in the godfosaken dub, anyone who can read japanese should know that.

ChampionFerret, shut up. You are wrong. Godforsaken dub? Oh, yeah, make up stuff because you don't like it. Purist.

Um, excuse me. I'm right, I know I'm right, so why dont YOU shut up? Ooooh! I'm being RUDE on a FORUM! *hides* Do you by any chance watch subs? If you bother to watch the japanese Chobits, LISTEN TO HOW IT IS PRONOUNCED, okay? Choh-bee-tsu...honestly, Is it spelt Choooobiiiiiiitsu? No. The japanese do not elongate their vowels like americans insist on. It's 'i'. Not 'eeeee'.
I saw godforesaken because it's frankly just a horrible dub.
Oh but of course the american way of saying something is the RIGHT way! Excuse me then! Even though it came from japan so CLAMP would have obviously created it's pronunciation, if Americans want to pronounce it THAT way, then of COURSE it's right! [/sarcasm]
Honestly, some people...
championferret

PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2005 5:51 am Reply with quote
astra wrote:
Championferret- Is it true that the Japanese seiyu pronounced Chobits so that it rhymed with Hobbits? If so, why didn't they just spell it Chabits? I thought they liked tea? Or perhaps you just have a different way of pronouncing hobbits. As in you dirty ho, the HOEbits? Perhaps you are confused, hmm?
Really people, Japanese is not hard to pronounce at all. Just pull out any book and you should be able to figure it out. A I U E O. Ma Mi Mu Me Mo. Ga Gi Gu Ge Go. N. Ma N Ga.

Does ANYONE watch the Chobits sub AT ALL???!
It's so hard trying to put a pronunciation guide when everyone hear is pronouncing vowels completely differently...
Okay...
Japanese do not elongate their vowels the way americans do.
A short 'i'. Not an 'eee'. Hideki. Not 'Heeedekeee'. Shinbo. Not "Sheeenboooh'''.
O is... 'o'. Not Oh. Not Ah. O.
I'm not dissing american accents. Well, maybe I am, but just in the way that they insist on pronouncing even foreign words 'their way'. It drives me up the wall. It's the rare dub that pronounces anything right.
It's exactly the same thing as the english 'Pokemon'. Why is it 'Poh-kay-mon?' It's meant to be 'Pocket Monsters', but who says 'Poh-kets?' Exactly the same nonsensical translation.
pandorina

PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2005 9:15 pm Reply with quote
Concerning the pronouciation of Chobits.

Does it really matter? Rolling Eyes
At least Pioneer translated it well. I was impressed with the English voice actors. Even if they miss pronounced the name. Its not as bad as Funimation fXXXing up DBZ names left and right.

Yes I do watch the sub. I just like hearing the voices in Japanese and trying to translate it with out reading the bottom of the screen. Because I am Otaku! Laughing
astra

PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2005 10:08 pm Reply with quote
Aight, chill, ferret. Don't lecture me about Japanese. I've taken enough years of Japanese to know how to pronounce simple words. Did you even read my post? I take issue with your ways of pronouncing things. Perhaps you are having trouble translating sounds into words?
Pokemon IS pronounced Po Kay Mon. In the dub, its sometimes Po Kuh mon, but that's wrong. Stop ripping on American accents if you don't even know how to pronounce Japanese yourself.
And no, I don't watch Chobits subbed. In fact, I don't watch Chobits at all. But I know how to pronounce a Japanese word if I see one.
You need to chill out and actually take the time to read people's posts before you respond. Otherwise you just look like a flaming idiot.
championferret

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2005 6:30 pm Reply with quote
I know it doesnt matter, but it wasnt me that turned it into such a big deal, was it?
My first post concerning pronunciation is something called IRONY. Rolling Eyes That the site in question thinks manga is 'bang-a', and now is telling everyone who reads it that. Of course people here were quick to clear that up, I was just surprised about 'monga' and decided to clear THAT up for people who started pronouncing manga as 'monga' instead of 'mahnga'. (Ah. Almost Uh.)
The whole weird 'O' thing reminded me of Chobits, and how horribly they pronounce it in the dub. And please stop saying I dont know how to pronounce the word, every Chobits fan I know pronounces it so it rhymes with 'hobbits', with the exception of one man. (although he says 'Sakooooorah' folks)
Please dont think I dont know how to pronounce japanese. I know enough to know that dont use that long 'oooh' sound.
One last thing, in Kinokuniya, I saw a congregation of japanese tourists in the manga section (as per usual), and a few were reading Chobits. I distinctively heard 'Chobits owaru?' and 'iie, mada'. (they were looking at #7) Have a guess how THEY pronounced it.
Kazuki-san

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2005 9:12 pm Reply with quote
championferret wrote:

The whole weird 'O' thing reminded me of Chobits, and how horribly they pronounce it in the dub. And please stop saying I don't know how to pronounce the word, every Chobits fan I know pronounces it so it rhymes with 'hobbits', with the exception of one man.

Well.. then every fan you know pronounces it wrong.. it's pronounced with an o sound.. not ah. Cloe is quite correct with her pronunciation of it. Here, I'll even include a small 9 second audio clip of them saying it in Japanese. Listen to it, then tell me they are saying it like 'hobbits.'
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
Page 6 of 6