• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Akira (movie).

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
God Gundam

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2006 6:36 pm Reply with quote
It'd probably be hard to get the rights to the old dub, seeing as how Streamline shut down years ago. Then again, ADV was able to get the old Macross pilot dub, but Harmony Gold is still around.
DKL

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2006 6:45 pm Reply with quote
I remember hearing that the Australian release (or something) has BOTH dubs... does anyone know how that happened?

Sounds interesting...
Sensei-roh

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2006 5:01 am Reply with quote
DKL wrote:
I remember hearing that the Australian release (or something) has BOTH dubs... does anyone know how that happened?

Sounds interesting...

sounds very interesting! do you mean the madman release? can anyone confirm this? cause i've been on the madman site and it doesn't say anything about having 2 english dubs.
TurnerJ

PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2006 12:16 am Reply with quote
I couldn't stand the old dub of AKIRA. It actually made me dislike the movie. Pioneer's effort, on the other hand, made me respect the movie a lot more. The performances were more convincing, and more importantly, the script--my biggest beef with the old dub--is much, much better. Lots of moments which completely went over my head were clarified in the new dub, and I appreciated the efforts of everyone involved.

I can't fathom how anybody could dislike this more polished, professional effort; Streamline probably didn't have half the budget that these guys used to remaster, retranslate, and redub the movie.

-Jon T.
Key

PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2006 6:55 am Reply with quote
TurnerJ wrote:
I can't fathom how anybody could dislike this more polished, professional effort; Streamline probably didn't have half the budget that these guys used to remaster, retranslate, and redub the movie.

Because the acting wasn't anywhere near as good as in the original? (Yeah, they had kids voicing the Strange Ones, but are you honestly trying to tell me they showed any acting ability whatsoever? And that's just one example. Much of the dub acting sounded clumsy by comparison.)

Will agree on the script accuracy and how the new one makes more sense, although also see my earlier comments on that. Sacrificing smooth flow for accuracy is usually not an effective move when dubbing anime.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
TurnerJ

PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2006 11:05 am Reply with quote
Key wrote:
TurnerJ wrote:

Because the acting wasn't anywhere near as good as in the original? (Yeah, they had kids voicing the Strange Ones, but are you honestly trying to tell me they showed any acting ability whatsoever? And that's just one example. Much of the dub acting sounded clumsy by comparison.)

Will agree on the script accuracy and how the new one makes more sense, although also see my earlier comments on that. Sacrificing smooth flow for accuracy is usually not an effective move when dubbing anime.

Whoa, not trying to start a debate, but I couldn't stand any of the acting on the first dub at all. The voices just grated on me--not just the children, but Kaneda and the street gang. The new voices sounded more fitting and their acting sounded leaps and bounds above the old guys to me. And while I agree with your term about accuracy VS smooth flow, I argue that this new dub is an exception to that argument--there are far worse examples of script accuracy getting in the way of a good dub.

All the same, I will not start a debate, but I stand by my belief that the new dub of Akira is the only I'll stand listening to; I dread the thought of revisiting the old one, for both its acting and incomprehensibility issues.

-Jon T.

EDIT: I have actually not seen the old dub for years, so it probably may not be as hideous as I thought it was, but even if this new dub isn't perfect--I did notice a few flub-ups in synchronization, but nothing really major--it certainly comes close, and I don't think I'd come to acknowledge Akira otherwise.
Key

PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2006 6:24 pm Reply with quote
TurnerJ wrote:
And while I agree with your term about accuracy VS smooth flow, I argue that this new dub is an exception to that argument--there are far worse examples of script accuracy getting in the way of a good dub.

Boy, if there are, I'd like to know what that are, as I can't think of one.

Quote:
All the same, I will not start a debate, but I stand by my belief that the new dub of Akira is the only I'll stand listening to; I dread the thought of revisiting the old one, for both its acting and incomprehensibility issues.

-Jon T.

EDIT: I have actually not seen the old dub for years, so it probably may not be as hideous as I thought it was, but even if this new dub isn't perfect--I did notice a few flub-ups in synchronization, but nothing really major--it certainly comes close, and I don't think I'd come to acknowledge Akira otherwise.

That's fine, and I'll stand by my opinion that a tweaked version of the newer script with the older acting performances would be the ideal. I've watched the new dub twice, and that's enough to convince me that I'd rather watch it subbed from now on. (And I'm a dub person.) The old dub - which I've probably watched through 8-9 times - never had that effect on me. (And yes, I did immediately go back and rewatch the old dub after seeing the new one just for comparison's sake.)

To each his own, I guess.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Cloe

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2006 5:03 am Reply with quote
TurnerJ wrote:
EDIT: I have actually not seen the old dub for years...

I'm the opposite--I haven't seen the new dub since it first came out, but I have seen the old one fairly recently, and I absolutely HATED it. The acting, to me, was so 80's-tacular and over the top, I couldn't stand it--especially Colonel Shikishima and the way he just yelled everything. Sorry Streamline dub fans, but I can't imagine anybody preferring the old dub over the new one, unless it's because of nostalgia or having become accustomed to it (the way that I love listening to the Bubblegum Crisis dub). I guess my feelings for the new dub are the same as Key's for the old one--it didn't really have an impression on me, positive or negative. But that old one, holy moly. The actors couldn't have hammed their lines up any more if they tried. It felt like I was listening to an episode of Thundercats or something.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Bushwack

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2006 12:09 pm Reply with quote
I'm confused. (Not a big suprise)

I bought the Geneon Akira DTS version digitally remastered.

Which dub is this?

It sounds like the original dub to me. That is to say, the one I remember hearing on Cable TV some years ago.
God Gundam

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2006 8:11 am Reply with quote
Bushwack wrote:

Which dub is this?

It sounds like the original dub to me. That is to say, the one I remember hearing on Cable TV some years ago.

Did you even read the other posts? The dub you heard was the "new" one that came out five years ago. The old one was recorded in the '80s by a now-defunct studio called Streamline.
Bushwack

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2006 10:30 am Reply with quote
Yes I did read the other posts. Thank you for your kind and informative reply.

God Gundam wrote:
Bushwack wrote:

Which dub is this?

Did you even read the other posts? The dub you heard was the "new" one that came out five years ago. The old one was recorded in the '80s by a now-defunct studio called Streamline.
blackmesainbound

PostPosted: Sun Nov 26, 2006 8:31 pm Reply with quote
I much prefer the old dub but am not sure if this is because I heard it first. But I prefer to watch it subbed anyway and only watch dubbed if I have friends round who winge about subtitles in films.
pyrol

PostPosted: Fri Dec 10, 2010 7:05 am Reply with quote
well i just saw akira and i just wanted to know if anyone agrees that one of the major themes is creation and destruction. what i saw was the process of creation through destruction or you have to tear down the existing structure to gain a new one, and you see all sorts of groups with power and influence go down. there were also many instances of people saying that power should not be in the wrong hands or you are not prepared for this and those that were children and powerful accepted each other because in order to use power correctly or not abuse it, you had to have the countenance of a child. then before the explosion occurred the scientist said something like "it cant be, this looks like the creation of a new universe" or "it looks like the way the universe did when it was created". this made me think that the ultimate power had been corrupted and that the children or those with a certain innocence had to tear it down and reconstruct it and let it restart and that instance created a new universe or another one with tetsuo as the maker of it, or the God of it.

i am not a proponent of any of these ideas, but that is what i took from it. basically do not corrupt power however once it is corrupt there needs to be a complete restructuring to fix it or make it whole.

i do have one question, at the end the girl is about to say something to the kanada and then she gets cut off, what was that??
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
Page 6 of 6