• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: One Piece at Viz

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Steventheeunuch

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2005 10:24 pm Reply with quote
It should be noted that 4Kids, theoretically anyway, do have an uncut version ready, as shown by the fact that Madman Entertainment are releasing an uncut version, which will be bilingual, in Australia sometime early next year. This might require a bit more investigation, but the release plan has changed one or two times, and it might not come about as planned, as things generally do.

So R4 release next year, though I'm still going to try for a compotent R1 release.
jsevakis
Former ANN Editor in Chief

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2005 10:24 pm Reply with quote
I don't think Viz has the DVD rights to GE999. Even if they did, if you saw the print they got for the VHS version years ago, I don't think you'd want it -- It was in such bad shape that they actually had to put a disclaimer before the movie that it was all they could get. (A shame, because I really liked their dub of it...) Maybe they could get the new transfer Toei used for their R2 DVD if it warranted the extra money, but I somehow doubt the sales would make it worth the trouble.
Izlude

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2005 11:17 pm Reply with quote
Steventheeunuch wrote:
I don't care. Viz are making an active desicion to put it out, Viz are the ones putting their name to the discs, and they're the ones who SHOULD be releasing it uncut. As such, they are as bad as 4Kids in regards to One Piece for simply taking it up the shoot.

Ya know Funimation releases 4Kids edited dub only titles on dvd (and the now MIA uncut titles, atm anyways). So does that make Funi as bad as 4Kids?

Or how about ADV with the Knights of the Zodiac/Saint Seiya gig?
Isaaru

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2005 11:55 pm Reply with quote
tempest wrote:
I wrote something about this earlier.

2) Buy the DVD and return it to stores saying that it's been unacceptably altered from its original format. Find a way to let 4kids and viz know you've done this (send them a copy of the bill + return receipt)

-t

That is such an awesome idea!!! If people hit the big stores they will take notice. And that will affect future sales on what the stores order direct right?

As for finding a way to let them know..I say just give that puppy with a type written letter to:

VIZ, LLC
P.O. BOX 77010
San Francisco, CA 94107

To get their attention try printing a copy of the recipt unto the envelope itself.
Steventheeunuch

PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2005 12:04 am Reply with quote
Izlude wrote:

Ya know Funimation releases 4Kids edited dub only titles on dvd (and the now MIA uncut titles, atm anyways). So does that make Funi as bad as 4Kids?

Or how about ADV with the Knights of the Zodiac/Saint Seiya gig?

ADV actually put out an uncut alternative, so that's invalid. FUNimation actually puts in more fan-based effort than Viz and actually comment on things more than a few times a year.
harrellj

PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2005 12:08 am Reply with quote
Quote:
2) Buy the DVD and return it to stores saying that it's been unacceptably altered from its original format. Find a way to let 4kids and viz know you've done this (send them a copy of the bill + return receipt)

Just to let you know (as an employee of one of those stores), due to possible copyright issues, if a dvd has been opened, the only thing a store is able to do is accept it as an exchange for the same item (and usually only if its been scratched or not working properly, or else why bother?), not a complete return.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
DemonEyesLeo

PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2005 12:42 am Reply with quote
I don't see why there's so much uproar against Viz. So they will be handling the DVD releases, that doesn't make it their property; it's still 4Kids' and so they have the final say it what is released. And the article even says: "Not invovled with the show's production..." Production and DVD distribution are two different things. It's like an author getting their book published; the author gives the publisher their writing and the publisher prints it and puts it out on the shelves. Only in this case 4Kids is the author and Viz is the publisher.

Now does Viz have a choice in deciding whether or not to distribute the DVDs? Yes they do. And could they have decided not to distribute the edited version? Yes they could have, but they didn't and that's their decision. But my point is, Viz has no say on the content of the DVDs, 4Kids does.

tempest wrote:
4) Boycott as I said earlier, I don't recommend this, but you can chose to punish viz. Boycotting the One Piece DVDs won't achieve anything, Boycotting viz's other products would.

Why should we punish Viz? Why should we punish a company that will be bringing uncut/bilingual Naruto; uncut/bilingual InuYasha; and uncut/bilingual almost everything else (except Zatch Bell)?

Again I don't understand why there's all this anger toward Viz when all they're doing is handling the DVD distribution of another company. If they own the One Piece property, then I'd be all over them for this; but they don't, it's 4Kids'.

Isaaru wrote:
tempest wrote:

-t

That is such an awesome idea!!! If people hit the big stores they will take notice. And that will affect future sales on what the stores order direct right?

Now this I agree with, as it could show 4kids that there is a market for the uncut version.
Steventheeunuch

PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2005 12:45 am Reply with quote
DemonEyesLeo wrote:
Again I don't understand why there's all this anger toward Viz when all they're doing is handling the DVD distribution of another company. If they own the One Piece property, then I'd be all over them for this; but they don't, it's 4Kids'.

Because they're the ones who are saying it, they're the ones who are putting it out.

Regardless, you give people a chance to calm down a bit, and then do the rational thing Smile
Emerje

PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2005 12:52 am Reply with quote
Does Viz even have any say over this release? I realize they're placing it under their "Shonen Jump" banner, but could it have simply been a lucky situation? If Viz getting One Piece was simply a matter of default then wouldn't that make them nothing more than a distributor with little influence past mastering and packaging the same way FUNi was just the distributor for Shaman King and Yugioh? Just trying to give Viz the benefit of the doubt; the title isn't theirs to begin with and we know how much 4kids has been against uncut DVDs as of late, it seems like Viz probably has very little control over the One Piece anime at all if any, even their own release of it.

Emerje
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
DemonEyesLeo

PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2005 1:08 am Reply with quote
Steventheeunuch wrote:
DemonEyesLeo wrote:

Because they're the ones who are saying it, they're the ones who are putting it out.

Regardless, you give people a chance to calm down a bit, and then do the rational thing Smile

Yeah, I do think this will all boil down within a few weeks; but during that time it does get rather annoying to see all this anger without any rational thought.

Emerje wrote:
I realize they're placing it under their "Shonen Jump" banner, but could it have simply been a lucky situation?

That could be it. The One Piece manga is published in Shonen Jump magazine and under the Shonen Jump Graphic Novel line. So it would seem that the most logical thing to do would be to put the One Piece anime under the Shonen Jump video line. It's just to bad that 4Kids happens to own the property.
InuyashaMilk1717

PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2005 1:15 am Reply with quote
Didn't Viz use to just sell uncut DVDs?
Abarenbo Shogun

PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2005 1:36 am Reply with quote
Yashouzoid wrote:

And when Yu-Gi-Oh started losing its steam, international sales for Shaman King and WinX Club - both their edited versions, may I add - partially offset that.

Waitaminute, since when did WINX Club have Yuri undertones in it?! Am I missing something here? Was their outright Lesbianism that I failed to see in a blantant rip-off of W*I*T*C*H*?
Byromaru

PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2005 1:50 am Reply with quote
hikaru393 wrote:
if viz cared there would be an uncut version not shity 4kids crap.

Well Maybe Viz's hands are tied, Corporate fucks like 4kids are good at the red tape thing, ne?

and I honestly don't see what everyone is so mad about the Naruto dub,the have about 95% of the original music, and with a few exceptions the voice acting is pretty decent, furthermore the editing isn't a total ass rape job like what 4kids did to One Piece, so there's not as much blood, or shounen-ai, it's not the end of the world. -_-
Space Goats

PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2005 1:59 am Reply with quote
tempest wrote:
Steventheeunuch wrote:

On things you never would have bought in the first place? I think a boycott is a stupid idea, because it doesn't have a big enough swing behind it and all of the conditions for it are wrong.

Unfortunately Steven is right.

4Kids doesn't bank on enthusiasts buying this product in the first place.

Since they don't expect you to buy it, you can't pressure them by not buying it.

You could boycott all Viz products to punish them for working with 4Kids. But do you want to go that far? And would there be enough people who feel like you to make it an effective boycott ?

-t

Of course it won't be very effective, but this is one of those cases where I really think it's perfectly acceptable to download the series and not support the R1 release.

If the ratings are as bad as they say they are there's no reason to expect the sales will be good anyway. Sure the enthusiasts don't have the numbers to make an effective boycott but we can hope that sales will be bad anyway and at the very least, Viz will decide not to fudge with anymore series in the future.

But yeah, in this sense a more effective protest would be writing Viz to express your disappointment. Make sure to tell them you won't be buying any of their products if they refuse to include original audio tracks on their releases. Even if you're lying through your teeth, it's possible for a vocal minority to make a difference.
Abarenbo Shogun

PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2005 2:27 am Reply with quote
tempest wrote:

6) come up with more ideas...

-t

Dress up in Nazi Uniforms and conduct a 4Kids DVD Burning?

*ducks the thrown items*

Okay......grab a Steamroller and conduct a flattening of 4Kids products in front of Fox News and protest "Americanization?"

*ducks thrown items*

Deface the 4Kids Wikipedia entry?

*flies into the air from the fan attack*
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 6 of 8