• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Genshiken 2 (TV).

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2013 4:16 am Reply with quote
To me it seems disrespectful to only acknowledge one side of a person with a clearly dual (at least) nature by deciding their gender for them with a pronoun (again, it depends on the circumstances). But she/he is not grammatically incorrect any more than and/or or Latino/a are. S/he is simply a shortened form of that. Read aloud it would be "she or he." But I have to say, this is the first time I've ever heard anyone say they were insulted due to it being bad grammar.

Close doesn't equal insult. Well, of course you can be offended by whatever you want to be, and no one can decide that for you, but my conscience on this is clear. I've never come across shehe as a word (or if I have, I assumed they simply forgot the /) and shemale is insulting in and of itself, not for its resemblance to other terms, but because it was deliberately coined to be insulting and trivializing.

The article does not call the s/he construction a gender-neutral pronoun because it's not. It's gender inclusive, but that's not what's needed in our language. Unfortunately, it's all we have at the moment that the general public recognizes. Look how long it took for Ms. to be accepted, and that was one word on which there was nearly unanimous agreement among those trying to incorporate it into the language. Trying to get gender neutral pronouns into general usage will never happen until there is at least some agreement on which of the (so far) 6 different pronoun sets you're asking people to adopt. No one wants to learn half a dozen new sets of pronouns, or read something they need a translator to get through. And spoken language is another hurdle altogether.

It takes time. At least we don't have gendered nouns and verb endings to deal with.
getchman
He started it

PostPosted: Sun Sep 01, 2013 1:09 pm Reply with quote
Ohno as a Horizon character, perfect fit. Hato's old classmates eyes are kinda creepy
Bango

PostPosted: Mon Sep 02, 2013 3:19 pm Reply with quote
Holy crap spoiler[Meruru and Tomo] cosplay awesomeness and what looks like a Shimakaze parody on the wall (I'd love to see Ohno wearing that even if the hair colour is wrong). Yajima as spoiler[Hirano from HotD] was a given and very much appreciated.

And... more new characters. I hope they contribute well.
Stark700

PostPosted: Mon Sep 02, 2013 6:44 pm Reply with quote
Episode 9
Sue <3333333333333

Episode 9 felt slow but I still enjoyed it. Lol'd @ the spoiler[star wars'] like text and those BL drawings. Even at this point of episode 9, I still forget that Hato is a trap at many times.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Mon Sep 02, 2013 8:05 pm Reply with quote
Sasahara's top-face. Laughing
P€|\||§_|\/|ast@

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2013 8:29 pm Reply with quote
Stark700 wrote:
Episode 9
Sue <3333333333333

Episode 9 felt slow but I still enjoyed it. Lol'd @ the spoiler[star wars'] like text and those BL drawings. Even at this point of episode 9, I still forget that Hato is a trap at many times.
As for myself, it doesn't matter if I forget or not. Most likely I'll always remember well since to me an ideal girlfriend would be a trap Smile
Stark700

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2013 10:13 pm Reply with quote
Past wrote:
Stark700 wrote:
Episode 9
Sue <3333333333333

As for myself, it doesn't matter if I forget or not. Most likely I'll always remember well since to me an ideal girlfriend would be a trap Smile

Lol, nice point taken :p
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Gewürtztraminer

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2013 10:23 pm Reply with quote
A bit disappointed so far.
What I liked about Genshiken was the large cast of characters and how they all interacted.

This is the all Hato show, and how everyone known before relates to Hato. Everything Hato.

It is not bad, but not what I was expecting/wanting.
Bango

PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2013 3:18 am Reply with quote
Gewürtztraminer wrote:
A bit disappointed so far.
What I liked about Genshiken was the large cast of characters and how they all interacted.

This is the all Hato show, and how everyone known before relates to Hato. Everything Hato.

It is not bad, but not what I was expecting/wanting.

While I've got no real problem with Hato I do completely agree with this. The other characters are just as interesting to me and I'm kind of sad that they seem to be getting so much less attention.
Stark700

PostPosted: Sat Sep 07, 2013 5:47 pm Reply with quote
LOL @ the ending. "spoiler[Lolicon]". I have to admit that Sue is unusually cute in episode 10.
getchman
He started it

PostPosted: Sun Sep 08, 2013 12:24 pm Reply with quote
is Madarame finally going to spoiler[tell Saki how he feels] next episode? Sue is so much fun
P€|\||§_|\/|ast@

PostPosted: Sun Sep 08, 2013 1:56 pm Reply with quote
Does anyone else think it's kind of weird how spoiler[the fiancé] is so tall? She makes all the Genshiken members look like a bunch junior high schoolers.
getchman wrote:
is Madarame finally going to spoiler[tell Saki how he feels] next episode?
I'm kind of waiting for him to spoiler[tell Hato how he feels.]
Stark700

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2013 4:38 pm Reply with quote
Past wrote:
I'm kind of waiting for him to spoiler[tell Hato how he feels.]

Lol for some reason, I'm waiting for this as well.
Merida

PostPosted: Sat Sep 14, 2013 3:00 pm Reply with quote
Aww, i really wanted to see this animated. I know that a lot of people who watched the original Genshiken were hoping to see spoiler[Madarame and Saki get together, but let's face it, it's not going to happen as long as Kousaka - who's pretty much perfect in every way as this ep. proved again - is around. So Madarame finally got closure and can concentrate on his new harem now. Laughing]
Stark700

PostPosted: Sat Sep 14, 2013 4:34 pm Reply with quote
Episode 11
Damn it, my feels this episode ;.;

I feel sorry for spoiler[Madarame although I do think it's about time he moved on. Well, at any rate, he doesn't have a chance with Saki anymore based on this episode although her hint about a possible future with him would of been possible if a certain someone wasn't present in this series.] It was definitely nice seeing them talking this episode though as I missed it quite a bit even from season 1.

Oh and I spotted a cosplay of spoiler[Horizon in the Middle of Nowhere].
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 6 of 7