• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Otaku Murderer Death Sentence Upheld

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Steventheeunuch

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2006 8:47 am Reply with quote
Well, as is most things in Australia, most people don't even remember who Van Nyugen is. We get onto a little bandwagon about how awesome and sophisticated Australia is, and then forget about stuff and focus on some soap opera woman getting preggers or FAT CONTENT IN HOUSEHOLD ITEMS!: WE TELL YOU WHICH ONES ARE THE LEAST FATTY
Carl Horn

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2006 3:35 pm Reply with quote
Cosmic Kath wrote:
Quote:
So basically, like how Australia came to be, only with vidoes so that the families of deceased loved ones can live in torment every day hearing about how the ones that murdered their family still live on. Feh.

Hey. Not all the early settlers were criminals. And even those that WERE, a lot of them were deported for trivial things like stealing. don't compare australia to a bunch of psycho killers. -__-;;;

(we don't even HAVE the death penalty here!)

Most Australians are far too polite to point out that one of the reasons England began using it as a penal colony in 1788 is because they couldn't ship their criminals to America any more, as they had been doing before the Revolutionary War. Remember the wise words of Bill Murray: "Our ancestors were kicked out of every decent nation on Earth. We're mutts! Look--there's proof! His nose is cold!"

—C.
BigDamnBrowncoat

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2006 9:57 am Reply with quote
novem wrote:
It'd also be a desecration of the dead body - I don't care what you did, but publicly humiliating you by showing off your death and your lifeless body for the public to gawk at just doesn't seem quite right.

I'm sorry, but you murder four kids, and you lose whatever right to dignity you think you had coming. With someone like that, the least of my worries is whether they're being publicly humiliated. It's like the people on death row who yell about some forms of execution being "cruel and unusual punishment." They didn't think about killing someone being cruel when they were committing those crimes.
SnowfairyX

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2006 12:23 pm Reply with quote
novem wrote:
SnowfairyX wrote:
I am very pro-capital punishment for murderers and traitors but think that for it to truly be a deterrent, we should have more of them and make them public for everyone to see.

So that we can instigate a mob mentality in people? Oh, someone's being executed, let's go watch! Bring your kids and don't forget to buy souvenirs!
It'd also be a desecration of the dead body - I don't care what you did, but publicly humiliating you by showing off your death and your lifeless body for the public to gawk at just doesn't seem quite right.

I think it would be good for society to bring back public executions not necessarily to satisfy some peoples' bloodlust over seeing a cold-blooded murderer get executed, but more as a deterrent for other would-be killers. A public execution doesn't seem cruel and unusual to me and unlike some people here, I actually want the execution to be quick and painless (even for the most heinous of crimes), such as a bullet to the head. I really don't see how this is a bad thing as it seems like it is possibly an excellent way to prevent more murders from occurring. So some people may enjoy the execution of a cold-blooded murderer more than they should. I really can't see a problem with that.
AchtungAffen

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2006 2:00 pm Reply with quote
The Wild Wild West had a lot of those, yet it didn't seem to help much on the crime issue.
novem

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2006 3:42 pm Reply with quote
BigDamnBrowncoat wrote:
I'm sorry, but you murder four kids, and you lose whatever right to dignity you think you had coming. With someone like that, the least of my worries is whether they're being publicly humiliated. It's like the people on death row who yell about some forms of execution being "cruel and unusual punishment." They didn't think about killing someone being cruel when they were committing those crimes.

Ah, but I think it's wrong to go to the same level the criminal did. You think there's nothing wrong with it for punishment. Both opinions come down to personal morals, so, well, we probably won't come to any consensus by disagreeing about them.

SnowfairyX wrote:
I think it would be good for society to bring back public executions not necessarily to satisfy some peoples' bloodlust over seeing a cold-blooded murderer get executed, but more as a deterrent for other would-be killers. A public execution doesn't seem cruel and unusual to me and unlike some people here, I actually want the execution to be quick and painless (even for the most heinous of crimes), such as a bullet to the head. I really don't see how this is a bad thing as it seems like it is possibly an excellent way to prevent more murders from occurring. So some people may enjoy the execution of a cold-blooded murderer more than they should. I really can't see a problem with that.

I still don't think it would be that effective. I've never murdered anyone, of course, but I think that if I really really wanted to, I could care less about the punishment. (I could, for example, be convinced that this is the perfect crime and I'd never ever be caught for it, or I could plan on killing myself afterward.)
We already have the death penalty. You generally know that you could possibly be executed for your crimes, so I don't see how making executions public is going to really change much. Also, look at European countries that don't have the death penalty (except for treason and whatnot). Is there a sufficiently higher crime rate over there to claim that the death penalty is a great deterrent? Not that I know of. I'm fully aware that I don't have statistics to back this up, but from all the times I've been there, it doesn't seem crime and murder is a much bigger (or smaller) problem than here. Feel free to correct me.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
anime823

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2006 10:23 pm Reply with quote
darkhunter wrote:
AchtungAffen wrote:
I'm somehow not that happy about capital punishment, even for the freakest ones like this guy. Even less happy to know Japan, supposedly such a civilized society, still has capital punishment. And even yet less happy to know they still hang people, like the sarin on subway religious guy. I believe that keeping Miyazaki in jail or the looney bin would have been enough. Laws don't have to condone revenge or passion.

Seppuku would have been fine though.

You are against capital punishment of muderer and rapist until it happen to you or someone you know.

I agree that this man did what is out of my imagination even if he have mental disorders.. But even so I am against capital punishment even this man did a very evil deed, we have no right to end this man's life for only god have that kind of right.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
Page 6 of 6