• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Dragon Ball Z Dub.DVD - Rock the Dragon Edition

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
PurpleWarrior13

PostPosted: Fri Aug 30, 2013 2:10 pm Reply with quote
zeo1fan wrote:
What matters is that a story is justified

Not everyone will agree if a story does this or not. And to some people, it won't even matter at all. To YOU it matters, but that doesn't mean it does so for all of us.

Quote:
what matters is that its theme(s) rings true;

No story's themes will ring true for everyone.

Quote:
what matters is that the actions have properly illustrated the theme of the story.

While I would agree with that, I don't think it's necessary for a story to be enjoyable. Like I said, I (and many others) find Dragon Ball Z and other similar anime's stories to be enjoyable, not because they follow basic story technicalities, but because they entertain and excite us. InuYasha is another favorite anime of mine that could be an example of this. Not that I mind stuff that follow the story chart, it's just not necessary for me to enjoy it. I will also point out that it can be very difficult for a long running series to follow a story map, even in it's individual arcs.

Although if I were to write a story myself, it would probably follow the story map pretty closely.

Quote:

"Everyone has a different opinion" does not mean "Every opinion is equal" Your reasoning being that every person has something different, but valid, to contribute. They don't.

Every opinion is very much equal in every way. No person is superior or inferior to another. Even if you don't agree with another person's viewpoint, they're all valid in some way.

Quote:
I'd also be remiss if I didn't mention the fact that those who take what they see at face value are easily manipulated; those who don't criticize the media they consume fall under its influence with relative ease. One of my favorite examples of this occurred in the early days of television when working class and middle class families began scrambling to attain an upper class lifestyle beyond their means because the television series of their day pushed it as an American ideal.

If someone believes that, then despite you not agreeing with it, it's still their viewpoint. How they came to hold said viewpoint is another matter.

(Although not every classic TV show was like that. They, in general, weren't very topical, and shows today like Modern Family aren't much different in depicting upper-middle-class, not that there's anything wrong with that IMO...).

Quote:

Actually, it's a perfectly apt subject to discuss in relation to anime when one is examining what results from thoughtless collectivism.

When has JAPANESE ANIME resulted from that?
zeo1fan

PostPosted: Fri Aug 30, 2013 3:08 pm Reply with quote
PurpleWarrior13 wrote:
zeo1fan wrote:
What matters is that a story is justified

Not everyone will agree if a story does this or not. And to some people, it won't even matter at all. To YOU it matters, but that doesn't mean it does so for all of us.

Quote:
what matters is that its theme(s) rings true;

No story's themes will ring true for everyone.

Quote:
what matters is that the actions have properly illustrated the theme of the story.

While I would agree with that, I don't think it's necessary for a story to be enjoyable. Like I said, I (and many others) find Dragon Ball Z and other similar anime's stories to be enjoyable, not because they follow basic story technicalities, but because they entertain and excite us. InuYasha is another favorite anime of mine that could be an example of this. Not that I mind stuff that follow the story chart, it's just not necessary for me to enjoy it. I will also point out that it can be very difficult for a long running series to follow a story map, even in it's individual arcs.

Although if I were to write a story myself, it would probably follow the story map pretty closely.

Quote:

"Everyone has a different opinion" does not mean "Every opinion is equal" Your reasoning being that every person has something different, but valid, to contribute. They don't.

Every opinion is very much equal in every way. No person is superior or inferior to another. Even if you don't agree with another person's viewpoint, they're all valid in some way.

Quote:
I'd also be remiss if I didn't mention the fact that those who take what they see at face value are easily manipulated; those who don't criticize the media they consume fall under its influence with relative ease. One of my favorite examples of this occurred in the early days of television when working class and middle class families began scrambling to attain an upper class lifestyle beyond their means because the television series of their day pushed it as an American ideal.

If someone believes that, then despite you not agreeing with it, it's still their viewpoint. How they came to hold said viewpoint is another matter.

(Although not every classic TV show was like that. They, in general, weren't very topical, and shows today like Modern Family aren't much different in depicting upper-middle-class, not that there's anything wrong with that IMO...).

Quote:

Actually, it's a perfectly apt subject to discuss in relation to anime when one is examining what results from thoughtless collectivism.

When has JAPANESE ANIME resulted from that?

It does matter; if what happens in a story isn't justified then the truth of the story is lessened and this is especially true of a story that expects one to take it seriously. If a person doesn't care that what happened in a story isn't justified or doesn't at least acknowledge it and is in fact willfully ignoring this fact then they aren't a suitable judge of quality. A story's theme can ring true for everyone if it touches on a shared fear or experience that's intrinsic to us as humans. However it matters more that a theme rings true independent of how a person feels about that truth since a work's quality isn't contingent on the audience's feelings towards it. Say for example it's an ugly truth that's being addressed: this truth might alienate the audience as a result of its nature, but it doesn't necessarily lose its poignancy as a result of having alienated the audience. Not every opinion is equal; some people know more about a subject as a result of years spent studying or experiencing it. Whether or not one person could be called superior to another is debatable, however it's illogical to ignore authority and expertise for the sake of preserving some arbitrary ideal and it is, in fact, a mindset that leaves many bright young minds feeling alienated for having gone against a collective mindset that may be falsely accepted as 'right' just because it's favored by the majority. Not every opinion is valid, especially in countries where anti-intellectualism is fast becoming a norm for a large number of people, though not necessarily because the people have consciously chosen it to be, but in part perhaps because they haven't questioned it. The fact that it became their viewpoint does not make it immune to criticism; these were ordinary people who didn't question the truth of what the media offered them and therefore let themselves become susceptible to the arbitrary ideal touted by it. When humans let themselves stop questioning they fall victim to their collectivistic nature, following the scent of the hand that's cognizant, letting it guide them but to what end? They can only guess, but it's often been a negative one. And when has Japanese anime resulted from that? Quite often, actually. Were you unaware that Japan is a collectivistic country?
PurpleWarrior13

PostPosted: Fri Aug 30, 2013 3:37 pm Reply with quote
While you raise good points, I can't say I agree with most of them.

Nothing is truly universal. Something can be ALMOST universal, but there's not a single subjective thing that everyone on this planet will agree on.

I don't believe being authority makes you outright "superior" to someone, especially when it comes to basic opinions. It just makes you authority. Obama's favorite movie (even though it is also one of mine) shouldn't be"superior" to John Smith's or Mary Jones'...

Once again, even if the reason someone, or a group of people, has a viewpoint, doesn't make it any less than anyone else's.

None of this has nothing to do with a collective society or conformity just because I believe everyone's opinion is equal in value.

I didn't know that about Japan actually. We ourselves go back and fourth...

With that said, I think it's finally time to get back on subject. If you want to continue discussing this, please PM me (though I'd really rather leave it be).
zeo1fan

PostPosted: Fri Aug 30, 2013 3:52 pm Reply with quote
PurpleWarrior13 wrote:
While you raise good points, I can't say I agree with most of them.

Nothing is truly universal. Something can be ALMOST universal, but there's not a single subjective thing that everyone on this planet will agree on.

I don't believe being authority makes you outright "superior" to someone, especially when it comes to basic opinions. It just makes you authority. Obama's favorite movie (even though it is also one of mine) shouldn't be"superior" to John Smith's or Mary Jones'...

Once again, even if the reason someone, or a group of people, has a viewpoint, doesn't make it any less than anyone else's.

None of this has nothing to do with a collective society or conformity just because I believe everyone's opinion is equal in value.

I didn't know that about Japan actually. We ourselves go back and fourth...

With that said, I think it's finally time to get back on subject. If you want to continue discussing this, please PM me (though I'd really rather leave it be).

Even if you disagree with most of my points it doesn't make them untrue; their truth is not contingent upon your agreement.

I'd disagree. There are primal feelings and reactions intrinsic to the human experience.

I didn't say 'being' an authority necessarily made one superior, but 'having' authority (Be it academic or otherwise) arguably can make one superior to another on a specific subject. The fact that a certain movie is Obama's favorite wouldn't necessarily make it better, but if he's studied and spent time inside the industry then he might be better qualified than Mary Jones or John Smith to understand what makes a film work and therefore have picked an objectively better one than either of them. Their viewpoint might be less if it's less thought out than another's or ill-informed; the fact that they have a viewpoint on the subject doesn't necessarily mean it's as valid as someone else, especially if it's the result of concentrated suggestion. Actually, it does have to do with being a collectivistic society, seeing as you're putting the collective worth of the whole's opinions over that of the individual, independent of knowledge or experience. And 'we'? I'll PM you after this.
YesNoMaybe
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri Aug 30, 2013 8:48 pm Reply with quote
I agree with @PurpleWarrior13.
jsc315

PostPosted: Fri Aug 30, 2013 9:15 pm Reply with quote
Well this is going no where fast. I'll just say this. I disagree with everyone and inject my own opinion to be correct. Mr. Green
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
doomydoomdoom

PostPosted: Fri Aug 30, 2013 11:51 pm Reply with quote
PurpleWarrior13 wrote:

Education and experience do matter.

Heh...ha...HAHAHA. Speaking as a veteran, devout cynic of the world, no. No they don't.

PurpleWarrior13 wrote:
For example; a film scholar would know more about measuring a film's quality than a culinary student.

No he wouldn't. This is a tasty morsel of bullshit. Film is a HIGHLY HIGHLY HIGHLY subjective ART. Simply because the name that goes with the opinion is "Roger Ebert" does not mean that that opinion is more qualified than that of a person who does not work in the film industry yet adores the art just as much as Ebert did. Please don't try and throw that one around.

PurpleWarrior13 wrote:
A scientist whose spent years in their field would likely know more than one whose only just begun.

Which has no relation to your previous example as that has to do with SCIENCE, which is...y'know...SCIENCE. Of course a veteran professional in a scientific field would know more than an incoming new face, because the sciences are learned.

So between all of this and some of the other crap I've had to scroll through in this thread, I do believe that this thread has been thoroughly derailed and I am NOT coming back. Whew.
jr240483

PostPosted: Sat Aug 31, 2013 10:11 am Reply with quote
YamadaKun wrote:
Why in the hell was crap like this made? Riding off nostalgia, huh? Well, nostalgia's only good when the things you liked as a kid were any GOOD. People didn't care about quality when they were kids. This dub is horrible. It is. The voice acting is OTT and cheesy, the script is terrible, the music isn't music at all, the editing is horrible and overall this dub is failure, just like the in house portion. Why can't these dubs die in a fire or something?

Because just like there are some people that like dubs from 4kids and nelvana , as well as some of the DIC dubs of Saint Seiya & Sailor Moon , as well as Harmony Gold's version of Maccross aka Robotech , there will be others that liked this edited version of DBZ. Sure its definitely outdated cause of the Funi version , but its definitely a nostaliga bringer on how dubs was back then and how it is today.

Also i definitely liked its opening when it showed on toonami and some of its scripts could have been used in the first funi releases .

Those awful dubs that 4kids & Nelvana did, especially what 4kids did to one piece can be erased from existence for all i care. though others like some of the dubs by DIC as well as this DBZ release can definitely stick around for a while.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
zeo1fan

PostPosted: Sat Aug 31, 2013 2:14 pm Reply with quote
doomydoomdoom wrote:
PurpleWarrior13 wrote:

Education and experience do matter.

Heh...ha...HAHAHA. Speaking as a veteran, devout cynic of the world, no. No they don't.

PurpleWarrior13 wrote:
For example; a film scholar would know more about measuring a film's quality than a culinary student.

No he wouldn't. This is a tasty morsel of bullshit. Film is a HIGHLY HIGHLY HIGHLY subjective ART. Simply because the name that goes with the opinion is "Roger Ebert" does not mean that that opinion is more qualified than that of a person who does not work in the film industry yet adores the art just as much as Ebert did. Please don't try and throw that one around.

PurpleWarrior13 wrote:
A scientist whose spent years in their field would likely know more than one whose only just begun.

Which has no relation to your previous example as that has to do with SCIENCE, which is...y'know...SCIENCE. Of course a veteran professional in a scientific field would know more than an incoming new face, because the sciences are learned.

So between all of this and some of the other crap I've had to scroll through in this thread, I do believe that this thread has been thoroughly derailed and I am NOT coming back. Whew.

So you plainly admit that you're biased in favor of believing the negative. It also sounds as though you believe there's no need to study film or television in order to create it; that there are no act or structural demands in order to make it work. You're plainly anti-intellectualistic; I needn't take you seriously.
tygerchickchibi

PostPosted: Mon Sep 02, 2013 11:57 pm Reply with quote
Oh jeeze, you guys know you're arguing about a cartoon, right?

Comparing it to educational, political and other things that actually matter for life reasons wouldn't 100% be comparable to someone's taste in entertainment.

Meaning, none of you guys are even professional critics, I'm sure. and even if that's the case. It's Dragon Ball Z. That's all it is.

This is pretty depressing. :c
GeorgeC

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2013 7:45 am Reply with quote
To sum up what tygerchickchibi said:

"It's fuckin' Dragonball Z, guys, get over it!" Laughing

It's still a fuckin' cartoon when all is said and done...

But seriously, spend your money the way you want to and try to stop telling other people what to buy or tell them that their favorite shows suck.

Yes, a lot of these shows are NOT very good but most TV series, faults or no faults, have their share of fans.

Just don't presume that fact = opinion or opinion = fact. Never have, never will.

As far as professional critics go --- Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing
Talk about the most self-important profession after lawyers and politicians! Useless knobs, IMHO.
KabaKabaFruit

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2013 9:19 am Reply with quote
Just a reminder: This batch of episodes ends abruptly so don't go in expecting a complete story. Exclamation
jr240483

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2013 2:32 pm Reply with quote
KabaKabaFruit wrote:
Just a reminder: This batch of episodes ends abruptly so don't go in expecting a complete story. Exclamation

well that is cause Funi got the license and continue on which for the series in general was a good choice for the franchise.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
SpacemanHardy

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2013 3:23 pm Reply with quote
Now all FUNi has to do is release the Ocean dub for episodes 108 onward that was made specifically for the Canadian broadcast.

They'd totally do it, too. Anything to milk that cash cow. Laughing
YamadaKun

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2013 3:37 pm Reply with quote
jr0904 wrote:
KabaKabaFruit wrote:

well that is cause Funi got the license and continue on which for the series in general was a good choice for the franchise.

Mistake number 1. Funimation, aside from that one dub of the original Dragon Ball in 1989 always had the license to the Dragon Ball franchise in North America. They sub licensed home video rights to Pioneer Entertainment, who released the TV series and produced the dubs of the movies, in association with Funimation. The "Funimation" dub is just a continuation of the "Ocean" dub with "voice actors" and "music" from Texas, rather than having the dub recorded in Vancouver, which is still a Funimation dub, for the record. "1-53" and "54-276" are the same dub. Differences include American VAs, a lack of Saban directing the edits and acting as a syndicator, lack of Shuki Levy's score, less editing, different music and that's about it, I guess. So, let's recap

1995 dub of Dragon Ball: Produced by Funimation, in association with BLT productions. Home video rights by KidMark.

1996 dub of 1st movie: Same as above

1996 dub of Dragon Ball Z: Produced by Funimation, in association with Ocean Productions. Syndication by Saban. Home video rights by Pioneer.

1997 dub of edited movie 3: Same as above, except this dub isn't available on home video

1997-1998(uncut) dubs of movies 1-3: Produced by Pioneer Entertainment, in association with Funimation. Recorded at Ocean Studios, Vancouver.

1999-2003 dub of DBZ. Produced by Funimation in house

2001-2003 dub of Dragon Ball: Produced by Funimation in house

2005-2006 "Uncut movies and original 1-67 episodes": Produced by Funimation in house.

2010 redub of DB movie 1: Produced by Funimation in house.

And now you know.

Last edited by YamadaKun on Wed Sep 04, 2013 9:02 am; edited 3 times in total
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 6 of 7