• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Tokyo Governor is Not a Mickey Mouse Fan

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
heyyu

PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2006 9:28 pm Reply with quote
Keonyn wrote:
heyyu wrote:
Keonyn wrote:
And heyyu, it's not about him disliking Mickey Mouse, but rather that added to other comments added to his already developed character from previous comments. It has nothing to do with America being so great, because you see that type of attitude would simply mirror the attitude people have an issue with, it's a matter of respect in that people should be respectful of other cultures despite the differences and certainly should promote some form of racial supremacy which can only result in hatred, violence and bloodshed as history has repeatedly shown. So why do his sensibilities miss that?

Oh please. Spare me the "Everyone should get along and sing kumbayah" lecture. If this was an episode of the Boondocks, those words would come from the PC full of crap hippy. Do you know how arrogant and smug and insincere that sounds?

I agree with you everyone should get along and be treated equally. But the way you say it... you know what that's like? It's like that preacher that lectures other people on what they're doing wrong while secretly going home and smoking pot and doing drugs himself. There's just something about it that smacks of elitism and hypocrisy.

Hardly, stating that people should be respectful of other cultures and to not promote hate isn't saying we should all sing kumbayah and hold hands and dance. Sorry, but between your narrow minded extremes there exists a sea of shades beyond that. People aren't going to stand around and simply love one another, humanity is virtually incapable of that, it doesn't mean we should ignore blatant disrespect and racial hate and say "oh, that's okay". Sorry, but people who ignore the problems only contribute to them.

You're the one preaching, sadly you're preaching hate, I'm just stating people at least deserve respect and that racial hatred doesn't get anyone anywhere.

Exactly, there exists shades. Shades that obviously people on here do not comprehend because so many people are quick to point to the usual "Japan is racist and xenophobic" rhetoric. I mean, this was one right-wing politician who says he does not like Mickey Mouse (which is obviously not a sentiment shared by many Japanese), and suddenly this board starts exploding with the usual "Those racist Japan, how DARE they say something bad about America" type posts.

Seriously, in the past 2 years that I've visited this board whenever I hear about Japan, it's always "Japan is racist this and racist that and doesn't like China and doesn't like America and they're so bad and intolerant." And then all these armchair historians start going into their pseudo WWII lectures. I must have heard it hundreds of times (seriously, I don't even think your history professors spend this much time).

Not to say we should ignore the atrocities of Japan's past. I mean, there is racism and xenophobic in Japan. But I'm sick of the constant Japan-bashing, especially from people like you that like to sit on their high horse, and start lecturing, "Those racist Japanese, tssk tssk tssk." Is that not the narrow-minded extreme that you're lecturing me on?
dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2006 9:56 pm Reply with quote
Time to lock this bloody thread now.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
hikura

PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2006 10:24 pm Reply with quote
dormcat wrote:

I see no real reason to lock this thread at all.Mind you one or two people make poorly worded responses doesn't mean it should be locked.Most everyone who has posted has been reasonable in their posts.
The Frankman

PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2006 11:09 pm Reply with quote
dormcat wrote:

IB4TL!!!
TwinSkies

PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2006 11:15 pm Reply with quote
True, it only started heating up in the last few threads.
Still, even if people like Ishihara were witness to the horrors of World War II, I doubt that gives him the right to blast other cultures, or to promote his own xenophobia, or to deny the atrocities that his own country have made.

We've already heard our share of people who claim that the source of their overwhelming malice is from past traumas like these, and that the recurring nightmares of such incidents steadily shape them in each waking hour...but that hardly gives them any reason to be so outwardly bitter about matters they hardly know anything about, or aren't willing to see in full view.

What I'm trying to get at here is that Ishihara may have his personal ghosts to deal with, but so do other people who have gone through the same hardships he has faced, if not worse.

And the beauty of these people is they didn't hide from the world around them in their bigotry, or lash out at everything that barely resembled the object of their hatred...they grew up, and as harsh as the times they were in were to them, they turned out kinder.

Mr. Ishihara may have shown his dislike for a particular culture -quite dramatically I might add- but if you listen very carefully to his speech, and the other statements he has made before this, despite the fact he's an influential politician, all I really see is an old, scared little man who's too afraid to open his eyes.
Shinobi X

PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2006 11:21 pm Reply with quote
Ow! That's a really harsh words he spoke out to the public.
Tokyo's Governor I meant. He could've just keep it to himself and allow it to happen.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
heyyu

PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2006 11:23 pm Reply with quote
I hate Mickey Mouse. I'm a scared old man that's been scarred emotionally too. That's right, when I was younger I saw this mouse and tried to give it cheese but it just bit me. Then people started calling me a communist and anti-American because I refused to watch Mickey Mouse cartoons like the rest of the kids. Now whenever I see Mickey Mouse, I see the horrors of my childhood come to bear.

TwinSkies

PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2006 11:31 pm Reply with quote
Nice image of the mouse.

Maybe that was the first image Ishihara saw on the web when he was researching for his speech?

That'd scare me stupid too...ROFL. Laughing
fighterholic

PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2006 11:34 pm Reply with quote
The Frankman wrote:
dormcat wrote:

IB4TL!!!

Isn't this what locks?
Nagisa

PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2006 11:48 pm Reply with quote
fighterholic wrote:
The Frankman wrote:
dormcat wrote:

IB4TL!!!

Isn't this what locks?

Yep, and I TOLD HIM not to pull that stunt anymore.

So what about that, Frankman? Looking for a ban now?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
fighterholic

PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2006 12:07 am Reply with quote
heyyu wrote:

Wasn't this from Runaway Brain?
JTtheBrick

PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2006 2:20 am Reply with quote
Zalis116 wrote:

Ishihara Shintarou Profile Site wrote:
Ishihara told Nathan a story about the war. When he was in the seventh grade, he was living in Zushi, on the coast in the flight path of enemy aircraft heading out to sea. Ishihara described Nathan: “The Americans could see that we were kids, but they would strafe us anyway, for fun. One day I had to throw myself into a barley field. As I lay there, the Grummans and P-51s came roaring over me, flying low, and I could see that they had pictures of naked women and Mickey Mouse painted on the fuselage. I couldn't believe my eyes! I was scared to death, and angry but I was also thinking what a place America must be, what a culture, and how different from Japan. Then I heard other planes but no machine guns this time; they were Zeros in pursuit, and their insignia was the Japanese flag. I felt like reaching up to embrace that rising sun.”

(Check the link for more info)

I'm sure those at Pearl Harbor can relate Ishihara.
Abarenbo Shogun

PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2006 3:54 am Reply with quote
JTtheBrick wrote:
Zalis116 wrote:

Ishihara Shintarou Profile Site wrote:
Ishihara told Nathan a story about the war. When he was in the seventh grade, he was living in Zushi, on the coast in the flight path of enemy aircraft heading out to sea. Ishihara described Nathan: “The Americans could see that we were kids, but they would strafe us anyway, for fun. One day I had to throw myself into a barley field. As I lay there, the Grummans and P-51s came roaring over me, flying low, and I could see that they had pictures of naked women and Mickey Mouse painted on the fuselage. I couldn't believe my eyes! I was scared to death, and angry but I was also thinking what a place America must be, what a culture, and how different from Japan. Then I heard other planes but no machine guns this time; they were Zeros in pursuit, and their insignia was the Japanese flag. I felt like reaching up to embrace that rising sun.”

(Check the link for more info)

I'm sure those at Pearl Harbor can relate Ishihara.

Too busy being historically incorrect.

"ZOMG, WWII IS STARTING!!"

"HOW DO I FLY BOMBER?"

----------------------------------

Of course the guy.....is there a word for being phobic of caucasian stuff, since when Hollywood can't cast an Asian into a major role (I'm looking at you F&F3: Tokyo Drift) or edit out Asian references (i'm looking at you 4KIDS and TOKYOPOP!!) it's called Xenophobia?
darkhunter

PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2006 3:58 am Reply with quote
This is a funny thread.

The last time I heard, our own president was cosider a racist. Rolling Eyes
fighterholic

PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2006 4:09 am Reply with quote
darkhunter wrote:
This is a funny thread.

The last time I heard, our own president was cosider a racist. Rolling Eyes

Are you referring to what this person had to say about Bush?
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 6 of 8