• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Buddy Complex + Part 2 (TV).

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MaxSouth

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2014 4:24 pm Reply with quote
It is nothing new for this series, but episode #9 turned out to be incredibly stupid: spoiler[crucially important research plane with chief researcher was all of sudden moved to avant-guard of battle front -- so enemy could shoot missiles at it] -- all for sake of little bit of cheap drama, made up with bold, ugly seams by bad scenarists.
ookamigirl

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2014 1:23 pm Reply with quote

spoiler[Something strange was going on this time.
It's discouraging when the switch from that to flashback from the past.
The timing for that was not chosen wisely.
Well, on the bright side, the action is back!
Hina and Aoba seem to be getting closer as well.
With only 2 episodes left, I can't help to wonder..
What happened with the whole time travel thing?
I really do hope they answer that before it ends.]
Stark700

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2014 4:05 pm Reply with quote
Episode 11:

Kinda figured they weren't related spoiler[related judging on those flashbacks just from the PV. Looks like Hina was wearing the same school clothes too when she was found....hmm. Maybe the she did travel through time without dying but somehow lost her memories, in particular with Aoba.]

I also have a feeling that Bizon guy or whatever his name is might also be in love with Hina.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2014 9:30 am Reply with quote
Episode 11

She just wanted to protect Zogilia, you know from.... whatever it the enemy does. You know the sort of country that seems to laugh at international rules of war in fighting dirty, and perhaps kill entire cities that her spoiler["father" would adopt her out of pity]. There is just something sinister about them that makes it hard to believe that the United Nations would stand for it. Could you imagine if in this day in age a country one country might do something like say, suddenly occupy another country with no warning, maybe play dirty by using their superior numbers to block off all entry to military places. They would have to be like as ballsy as Putin.

Not surprised spoiler[she is adopted], I am not sure but she appears to spoiler[be the only Japanese member in her country]. Totally did not realize it at first, but spoiler[child Hina in the past does indeed to be wearing the school uniform from episode 1, minus the tie and skirt]. This opens up all sorts of other ideas for the time thing. Maybe she spoiler[went back in time to save herself and swapped clothes], time paradox solved?
leatherhead333

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2014 10:11 am Reply with quote
Stark700 wrote:

I also have a feeling that Bizon guy or whatever his name is might also be in love with Hina.

I think that should be pretty obvious. Let's just look at this checklist.

1. Childhood Friend
2. Has been teammates with her ever since they joined the army.
3. Gets extremely upset that she has taken interest in Aoba (even if he is an enemy the guy is over the top insane about it at this point).

My friend those are all the elements one needs to see this is unrequited love lol.

Also can we safely assume that Bizon is the one who traveled back in time to kill Aoba?
Darkmagick
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2014 10:15 am Reply with quote
leatherhead333 wrote:
Also can we safely assume that Bizon is the one who traveled back in time to kill Aoba?

Considering that I'm pretty sure the guy trying to kill Aoba was Sakurai Takahiro under all that screaming, I'd say that's pretty much a definite.

Also, his eyebrow color matched Bizon's. And as we all know, in anime hair color = identity.
Merida

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2014 10:12 am Reply with quote
Poor Bizon doesn't stand a chance because spoiler[ he's bad at coupling...Crying or Very sad]

Will Aoba spoiler[leave his coupling buddy to couple with Hina (who's been turned into a battle-zombie by The Evil Doctor) instead? Or are coupling threesomes a posssibilty?!] Well, i guess we're definitely in for more spoiler[desperate HINAAAAAAAAAAAA!!! screaming...]
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2014 10:43 am Reply with quote
Episode 12

Who's dumb idea was it to spoiler[fly towards the giant canon with almost all of the ship in a single line]? Did no one really think that would happen, because I thought it looked incredibly likely and if possible they spoiler[should have been flying low]. At least if they all spoiler[varied their altitude they might have saved half of them]. Weren't the enemy already applying such spoiler[penetrating techniques] in a previous battle.

Also makes it feel incredibly hard to feel sorry for any sort of loss when the Zoglia are pretty ruthless. The father was not killed by the enemy, he was killing the enemy and killed himself.

"she volunteered herself." That is the point when you ask to see the "volunteer" to check that they have not been put into some sort of hypnotic state by a drug.
spoiler[Drug controlled] Hina*: "I will spoiler[avenge your father.]"
Didn't that sentence not quite make sense to Bizon?

Also, because of Bizon growing increasingly jealous and that he spoiler[put himself through the tests], It is clear what is going to happen. Especially since the spoiler[helmet he is wearing is what the crazy pilot in the first episode was wearing]. Now remember everyone, it is just a spoiler[jump to the left].
ookamigirl

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2014 1:13 pm Reply with quote
After 11 episodes I figured out this was a spoiler[huge waste of time.]
I decided to finish it just to see if they'll explain the time travel thing.
And to see what'll happen with Aoba & Hina.
Their relationship was problematic to say the least so far.
Now evenspoiler[ Hina is doing coupling...]
Seems like things are getting even worse.
There is only one episode left, so no surprise there.
Looks like it's gonna be an action filled ending.
Stark700

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2014 3:11 pm Reply with quote
It's official, spoiler[Bizon is a psycho not that I'm surprised by this point. Seems like Hina got brainwashed or something with her new ways of thinking in this war.]

One more episode for this season. They won't resolve everything because the show will be split into 2 cour, other half airing Fall I believe this yar.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
MaxSouth

PostPosted: Sat Mar 29, 2014 12:26 pm Reply with quote
Episode #11: the stupidest axiom of the genre that giant flying robots are never locked and that anyone can access and pilot them is in the works. How viewers can possibly feel immersed into the world that authors try to present if such ridiculousness is there? All you can see is how cheap the scenario vehicle is, how fake the story is.
Stark700

PostPosted: Sun Mar 30, 2014 11:25 am Reply with quote
Confirmed to be 2 cour split. It wasn't a surprised to me though with that cliffhanger in the finale.
ookamigirl

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2014 10:26 am Reply with quote
#13 Final

spoiler[It's pretty much safe to say I won't be watching season 2.
Yes, there is one... seems like they split it in 2x13 episode seasons.
Why, oh why, isn't there a decent mecha anime out there.....
I had such high hopes for this one, but was disappointed.
Well, at least the final episode was action filled all the way!
Aoba-Hina coupling was nice. Bison's fit was not.
Well, they did manage to explain everything, that's a plus.
As final episodes go, this one was actually really good.]
Stark700

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2014 10:29 am Reply with quote
I'm guessing that's probably spoiler[Bizon from the future when he went through that time portal but somehow survived.] Well, it looks to me like Aoba is going to have much fun in the future with him around.

spoiler[Oh well at least Hina managed to snap out of that trance although I found it to be predictable. The theory about the timeline was the most interesting part imo.]
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2014 11:29 am Reply with quote
Episode 13 (final)

Wait, Hina's spoiler[origin itself has no beginning as she was literally part of an infinite time loop, and in fact the entire Zogilia empire is a time paradox as it looks to have been created by Bizon]. Thinking about these spoiler[time paradoxes thing and time loops] reminds me of playing Singularity, which is somewhat fitting as Zogilia might Russian, and this spoiler[time distortion seems to have been caused by them using a strange resource]. BTW Singularity is a totally an underrated game.

But onto Buddy Complex. Personal opinion is that this was even poorer than Valvrave, but this show was a lot less infuriating overall, at least we don't have to look at Aoba continuously angst. Instead we go him always go on about Hina, but to tell the truth I had trouble getting into his head at times, maybe too happy go lucky, which seemed to put Dio to counter it, but it felt a little artificial. What I did really like were the parts that could be a bit suggestive, I was totally okay with it. We know that this episode hadspoiler[ Bizon practically rape Hina] right? And I did like the bridge bunnies, for some reason wanted to feel them more involved.

Also a little less serious in this did work a bit in my favour as I did not need to feel horrified when, well something horrifying happened. I rate it Decent, but I do plan on seeing the sequel as it feels like it has finally gotten to where I expected it to be, and thus want to see some more.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 6 of 8