• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Answerman - Suspicious Behavior

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2014 12:52 pm Reply with quote
MLP is one of the few western properties I've seen with any kind penetration, but its appeal is still mostly based around the cuteness aspect of cute ponies doing cute things, and furrydom liking it for being animals. It has quite a growing doujinshi presence.
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Thu Jan 30, 2014 4:33 am Reply with quote
yuna49 wrote:
Does that mean there has been a growth in English translation capacity in Japan?

There's been a huge growth. They now have a Sam :p

Previously a lot of the few anime releases with English subtitles were re-releases with subs taken from the western discs. Exceptions that I own are Brave Story (which had oddly liberal subtitles which are totally different to those on the later UK DVD) and Haruhi (which, well...)
I assume the newer breed of mainly Aniplex shows with subtitles are based on the simulcast scripts.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Thu Jan 30, 2014 4:47 am Reply with quote
Joe Carpenter wrote:
so I assume Gen Fukunaga himself is a Christian and it's a purely business motivated venture? one does have to wonder then how he justifies releasing violent or sexual anime with a sometimes explicitly anti-Christian bent like Hellsing

What's anti-Christian about Hellsing? Anti-Catholic maybe - the "good" guys are Protestants trying to keep both vampires and the Vatican out of the UK.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Mister Ryan Andrews

PostPosted: Thu Jan 30, 2014 1:25 pm Reply with quote
@samuelp

That's no different than America to be honest. Everyone loves the superhero movies, but they couldn't give a darn about the comics or cartoons. I can totally seeing that being a case in Japan. Well, sometimes. Some movies bomb there like Thor. Mainly like Spider-Man and Avengers pretty much Though you're the first person I've seen to try to say Ben 10 is popular in Japan. It's not even really popular here to be honest, heh.
belvadeer

PostPosted: Sat Feb 01, 2014 5:18 pm Reply with quote
walw6pK4Alo wrote:
Not all the time. I don't like how it calculates scores purely on the PASS/FAIL system which doesn't reflect the real average that critics would score a film, but Frozen's earned written praise from many nonetheless.

I never take RT seriously. A lot of the kook reviewers on there are just bitter folks with zero imagination and no inner child anymore. They always seem to have some bone to pick with animated movies, saying outdated nonsense like, "This really isn't the era for cartoon movies or cute cuddly characters anymore." I'm pretty sure they'll bag on the upcoming Mr. Peabody movie as well and unreasonably accuse it of doing something wrong.

Mister Ryan Andrews wrote:
Though you're the first person I've seen to try to say Ben 10 is popular in Japan. It's not even really popular here to be honest, heh.

Really? Because I see an awful lot of youngsters around my town and the next few towns over wearing Ben 10 shirts and holding action figures of the toys in their hands constantly. Of course, the whole point to the show is to sell toys, since you can see that it's changed too much from its original incarnation and I don't think kids care about the look of the show. Personally, I liked the first Ben 10 series the best if I had to compare seasons.

Last edited by belvadeer on Sat Feb 01, 2014 8:45 pm; edited 1 time in total
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Sat Feb 01, 2014 7:28 pm Reply with quote
Mister Ryan Andrews wrote:
@samuelp

That's no different than America to be honest. Everyone loves the superhero movies, but they couldn't give a darn about the comics or cartoons. I can totally seeing that being a case in Japan. Well, sometimes. Some movies bomb there like Thor. Mainly like Spider-Man and Avengers pretty much Though you're the first person I've seen to try to say Ben 10 is popular in Japan. It's not even really popular here to be honest, heh.

The problem with mainstream superhero comics nowadays is the lack of stability. A creative team does a story arc, and then another creative team does another story arc. In the manga realm it would be like Yotsuba&! changing mangaka each time a new volume comes out. I am sorry, but that would just suck.

Except for Kamandi, I have never liked any DC titles, and I have dropped most Marvel titles over the years, except the Fantastic Four, mainly because of stubbornness. It was the constant creative team changes that did me in. Some were okay, but usually they are just a jarring event.

Always pissed me off, when an artist/writer would create a new comic, and then a year later passed it on to someone else. Why bother creating something if all you are going to do is throw it away.

That's why I like Fred Perry and Erik Larson. They have a commitment to their characters. Everyone has their own favorite writers and artists, but they do their comics and characters no favors by making short term commitments to their projects.

Just imagine if Caravan Kidd or Gunsmith Cats changed mangaka's several chapters into the story.
PurpleWarrior13

PostPosted: Sun Feb 02, 2014 8:49 pm Reply with quote
Jen Bigby wrote:
PurpleWarrior13 wrote:
Hearing all this great stuff about Frozen REALLY makes me wish it was animated in (or a style resembling) the traditional style as originally planned. I think it would have revived it.

Sadly all the animation studios are gone and everyone is being trained in CG these days. Schools are all teaching computer animation, not traditional. There's no way traditional animation can make a come back outside of Japan if the education and market isn't there Sad America's industry is too far down the slippery slope to climb back up it. People need to understand the American industry is dead and isn't coming back. It's unrealistic to still have hope.

Most US cartoons for TV are still done in the traditional style, with a few exceptions (TMNT). I don't think it's "dead" at all. We just need the right movie done in the style. In 2003, CG animation was so new and cool, anything done in 2D just seemed flat. Now with the market being over-saturated with all kinds of 3D CGI films, you never know.

At least we have the Family Guy movie supposedly in development...
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
Page 6 of 6