• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Anime Quote Guessing Game, Round 11

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Contests and Games
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dtm42

PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2014 6:15 am Reply with quote
I'd poke fun at Key for missing a quote that he really should have gotten, but the quote wasn't a particularly great one. Plus the hints were very difficult; all of them were highly situational in nature. In other words, they were about what was going on in that one scene and nothing else. None of them dealt with the wider plot or characters. Which meant that unless you specifically remembered that one particular scene you couldn't get the answer. (Plus, anyone who hadn't seen the show in the first place didn't have enough information to figure it out.)

So yeah, this is one case where Key should not feel too bad for missing it. If he's going to kick himself he should only do it gently.
Key

PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2014 11:03 am Reply with quote
It also didn't help that I was out of town for the last few days (I was posting during breaks at a convention) and so didn't have the time or access to review series. But I had, indeed, totally forgotten about the existence of that scene until I read the answer.

Yeah, it's a somewhat obscure scene from that series, and dtm42 does have a valid point about the clues not giving much info about the characters or series, but I really should have put the "speaks about herself in the third person" and "auditions" parts together, as I cannot think of another series which has both elements.

Anyway, open turn.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
DerekTheRed

PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2014 11:11 am Reply with quote
I think that over the years in the image guessing game there were a good four or five images used from that anime and humorously, Key was never on to get any. Laughing
Key

PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2014 11:24 am Reply with quote
A couple of those times someone just beat me to the punch, though, because I was at work or something like that.

But you're right. It is a running joke.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
victor viper

PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2014 6:02 pm Reply with quote
I'll grab the pass. Let's see how long this one lasts. From the official region 1 subs.

Character A: You're...(character B)?
Character B: Character C?
Character A: But...you're different somehow.
Character C: What? Do you have something against my perfect disg-
Characters D and E: (interrupting C) She's the real one!!!
Character F: We guarantee that she is!
Phibby

PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2014 7:32 pm Reply with quote
spoiler[Character A: Kaolinite
Character B: Usagi
Character C: Minako/Sailor Venus (currently disguised as Sailor Moon)
Characters D/E: Sailor Jupiter & Sailor Mars
Character F: Sailor Mercury
Show: Sailor Moon S

Sailor Venus is currently disguised as Sailor Moon, as Kaolinite has stolen Usagi's transformation brooch. Kaolinite isn't totally convinced, and Venus almost gives herself away.]

If I'm correct, I pass. First time playing the quote game!
Galap

PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2014 7:34 pm Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:
So yeah, this is one case where Key should not feel too bad for missing it. If he's going to kick himself he should only do it gently.

Yeah I agree. I can see how it would be a harder quote. The whole situation was particularly striking to me personally, but hey everyone's different. I'm sure some things Key thinks are particularly memorable about that show aren't in my consciousness.
victor viper

PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2014 8:05 pm Reply with quote
Phibby is correct. Welcome to the quote game!

It would seem that the turn is open.
Key

PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2014 9:00 pm Reply with quote
Guess I'll take this one up, then. While this quote may seem generic, there is a particular reason why it stands out for being from one particular series, and I'm betting that it will actually go quickly partly because of that. (And extra kudos if you can explain why I'm saying that.) From the dub:

"The only path left to humanity is life or death. Failure is not an option. Let me repeat that: if this mission fails, if we are unsuccessful, then we have no future."
getchman
He started it

PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2014 9:07 pm Reply with quote
dammit, I know exactly why this stands out, but I have no idea what the show is
Key

PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2014 10:45 am Reply with quote
Hint #1: spoiler[Shortly after this statement is made, the person responsible for the speaker having to make this statement addresses the same audience (and definitely not by the speaker's choice).]
Key

PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2014 4:24 pm Reply with quote
Hint #2: spoiler[The father-figure of the enemy forces is human but the rank-and-file members are all inhuman (though not all the same type of inhuman).]
Tuor_of_Gondolin

PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2014 10:05 pm Reply with quote
I'm pretty sure I have the anime right, but I can't recall exactly who said it (I can think of two people). Sigh. 50-50-90 means everytime there's a 50% chance of an answer being right or wrong, there's a 90% chance that you'll actually get it wrong. :/ So...

Anime: spoiler[Blue Submarine #6]

Speaker: spoiler[I *believe* this is the Captain of Blue Submarine #6, Tokuhiro Iga... But as I said, there is one other person who I can think might have said it instead.]

Addressee: spoiler[The crew of Blue Submarine #6]

Situation: spoiler[IIRC, this is said when #6 heads off on its final mission to deal with Zorndyke.]

Just as an aside, the quote was used by spoiler[Toonami/Adult Swim] when advertising for this anime, so I heard it said many many times (an excellent delivery in the dub), but as it didn't show the guy saying it (was showing random scenes from the anime), my context might be a bit off. I've only actually watched through the series once (too depressing to rewatch).
Key

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2014 2:02 am Reply with quote
You're a little off on the details, but close enough (including getting why it's a stand-out quote right) that I'll give it to you. The speaker is actually spoiler[Dr. Marunami], and he's actually addressing spoiler[pretty much everyone in the Blue Fleet, not just No. 6's crew].

And yes, you're correct that this is the quote that was used most prominently in the commercials for it. Always found it to be enticingly ominous.
Tuor_of_Gondolin

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2014 1:28 pm Reply with quote
Thanks for letting me have that one, Key.

Now:

Character A: Lord B, allow me to honor you by performing the dance of joy.

(A dances)

Character B: Uh, A, if you value your life...stop.

I don't expect this one to last very long.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Contests and Games All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 6 of 101