• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Attack on Titan to Run on Adult Swim's Toonami Block

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
angieness

PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2014 5:09 pm Reply with quote
invalidname wrote:
Interesting that the teaser trailer puts a "TV 14" rating on it (for language and violence)… is that the maximum rating Adult Swim will air, or do they ever go to TV MA?

New Toonami has generally been very good about cutting as little as possible, but I have to wonder how it's going to go over at Turner Broadcast Standards and Practices when they have to shuttle through 22 minutes of "naked female giant eating people alive".

No nipples, no problem.
whiskeyii

PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2014 5:54 pm Reply with quote
angieness wrote:
invalidname wrote:
Interesting that the teaser trailer puts a "TV 14" rating on it (for language and violence)… is that the maximum rating Adult Swim will air, or do they ever go to TV MA?

New Toonami has generally been very good about cutting as little as possible, but I have to wonder how it's going to go over at Turner Broadcast Standards and Practices when they have to shuttle through 22 minutes of "naked female giant eating people alive".

No nipples, no problem.

That's what I thought too, but what about Code Geass' run? I remember there being rather copious amounts of steam, but I have no clue if they were just running the Japanese broadcast version, or if they made those changes themselves because they got the uncut DVD versions which included the nudity.

Honestly, I don't find the Female Titan objectionable (she's basically a naked Barbie), but she's probably one of the few (or only) characters I've seen on Toonami to show bared breasts so blatantly, as in not during a shower scene and no attempts are made to hide and/or cover up the (non-existent) nipple areas.
invalidname
Contributor

PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2014 6:07 pm Reply with quote
whiskeyii wrote:
angieness wrote:
invalidname wrote:

No nipples, no problem.

That's what I thought too, but what about Code Geass' run? I remember there being rather copious amounts of steam, but I have no clue if they were just running the Japanese broadcast version, or if they made those changes themselves because they got the uncut DVD versions which included the nudity.

Honestly, I don't find the Female Titan objectionable (she's basically a naked Barbie), but she's probably one of the few (or only) characters I've seen on Toonami to show bared breasts so blatantly, as in not during a shower scene and no attempts are made to hide and/or cover up the (non-existent) nipple areas.

See, I thought for sure you people were going to say spoiler["Female Titan never (fatally) eats anyone in the entire series; she just smashes Survey Corps members to death."] Where have all the pedantic forum nit-picks gone?
peachsncreamsoda

PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2014 6:11 pm Reply with quote
BAM! And my Summer has just been easily made Laughing !
Didn't think it would happen.
But it did Very Happy .
hojo 360

PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2014 7:01 pm Reply with quote
whiskeyii wrote:
angieness wrote:
invalidname wrote:

No nipples, no problem.

No in geass they showed Kallen's rear end but they put a blurred out mess over her breasts
Beatdigga

PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2014 7:33 pm Reply with quote
The only thing they censored on the Boobie monster from Space Dandy was the nipples.

Make of that what you will.
getchman
He started it

PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2014 7:35 pm Reply with quote
they did everyone a favor there
marie-antoinette

PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2014 9:44 pm Reply with quote
I do wish I could get Cartoon Network. I've been meaning to re-watch Attack on Titan and trying out the dub would be a good way to do that. Oh well, I do plan to buy the DVD/BR release, so I'll see it eventually. And this is definitely good to see happening, since the show has a lot of potential to reach anime fans and non-anime fans alike.
Delaclease

PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2014 10:57 pm Reply with quote
It's going to be awesome. I can't wait!
sim0n2170

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2014 12:39 am Reply with quote
Awesome!!!
dragonrider_cody

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2014 1:18 am Reply with quote
hojo 360 wrote:
FrameFreeze100 wrote:
hojo 360 wrote:
Echo_City wrote:
MadHi wrote:
I have avoided this anime like the plague just for the sake of the English dub. Finally I'll get to see it in all its English glory.

Hopefully there will be some. It should have been relatively sure-fire, given Funimation's reputation, but the dub clips sounded far below Funimation's usual standards. It won't be the worst dub on the programming block but it certainly won't be the best. Sad

I can't say that I'm hyped for McFarland's Folly.
Haha i do hope your joking so far funi has gone way out of there way for this cast McFarland is a very good director{ Eden of the East Blood-C: The Last Dark Evangelion films Fullmetal Alchemist One Piece need i go on?

Someone else not allowed to have a different opinion? Personally I think Mike McFarland is a very overrated ADR Director.

IMO he's never had to truly prove himself. He's always got his pick of the crop (A-List shonen titles or critically acclaimed niche titles with strong storytelling). Give him a mediocre title with unlikable characters & weak plot and it'll be interesting to see how well he does then. Doesn't improve my opinion of him that he constantly plays it safe with lead roles and reuses a lot of the same people in the majority of his projects; most of who are overrated VAs.

Other FUNi ADR Directors have directed some meh shows but still managed to give them some great dubs.
Hey i was never saying you can't have an opinion but you say he all ways dose A list ? ok Kodocha Linebarrels of Iron Vexille - 2077 none of those shows were AAA or that good they were meh as you say and? my point was he has never failed as a ADR Director.

And Kodocha has one of the worst, most poorly acted (and horribly cast) dubs Funimation has ever done. Linebarrels of Iron and Vexille were passable at best, but virtually any Texas director could have got the same average level of quality out of those mediocre releases.

And for the record, I would consider his directing on Kodocha a HUGE fail. Perhaps it that show had been given a respectable dub, it may have helped boost the numbers enough to allow its release to be completed.
LordByron227

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2014 2:47 am Reply with quote
Maybe it's just me, but I never found Kodacha's dub to have been terrible?

I mean, I thought Laura Bailey did quite a decent job. Jerry Jewel might have sounded to old for his age, but given the direction of the dub, they're probably aiming for a comedy thing akin to South Park, so I don't think voice matching really matters here.
jr240483

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2014 7:49 am Reply with quote
Zealous6664 wrote:
getchman wrote:
well, to a certain extent, some of that is important, otherwise, you get Bible Black's dub. I don't think anybody wants that

Of course not... That's why I said for some people it's gotta be the cure to cancer. There are some great releases out there and then there are some really mediocre dubs. Everything from Sentai to Funimation is at least damn watchable. There are people out there that think some of the decent dubs out there, not the best but decent are the Anti-Christ or in this case on par with Bible Blacks horrible dub. The same group of people overreact and go overboard. They are passionate to find the greatest anime release ever licensed. They are determined to find the lost city of Atlantis. Sorry for the hyperbole but I wouldn't have went on about this if it wasn't true.

I wouldnt be so sure about that. for one thing bible black's dub wasnt that bad. especially compared to others what was by far worse. just because a lot of people assume it would be bad for what it is, doesnt mean it will necessary will be.

invalidname wrote:

well the eating people alive wont be otherwise there wont be a point showing it, though the nudity will definitely be and it will obviously get the MA rating otherwise the FCC will be on their throats like crazy.

Eventually when they need the renew their broadcasting license those people at turner broadcast standards and practices will hopefully try to get the FCC to give them (CN ) a broadcast license similar to IFC Channel.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
rinmackie

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2014 10:22 am Reply with quote
This is awesome news! As for the censorship and ratings, I wish Adult Swim/Toonami could be it's own separate channel so they wouldn't have to air these shows so late at night.
hojo 360

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2014 12:13 pm Reply with quote
Well Cody Heh funny that you find Kodocha to be a HUGE fail. It was not the best but it still beat out most of sentai filmworks dubs {talk about bad Razz} but hey to each there own you don't like his ADR work and i do guess that's it
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 6 of 9