• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: GARO THE ANIMATION

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dai_Setsudan

PostPosted: Sat Mar 07, 2015 8:24 pm Reply with quote
vanfanel wrote:
I'd love to be proven wrong, but l'm not convinced this is going to run 48-50 episodes like some here seem to believe.
This is the full picture as I understand it. This year is the Garo franchise's 10th anniversary and as such they've greenlit a lot of new material to celebrate it. So far they've officially announced two theatrical live action movies, a theatrical anime movie, a straight-to-DVD live action movie, a live action TV series, a second anime series, and a musical stage play (yes really).

They have yet to reveal if the anime movie will be a new story or the typical 'summary of the series' type of film, but it was specifically stated that both it and the next anime series will feature at least some of the characters from the currently airing anime series, which is why people have been referring to it as a season two.

The name 'Garo Goldstorm Soar' refers to the next live action series AND the first of the new live action films (which is expected to be an 'episode 0' for the series). The live action Garo series so far have all been two cour shows, so it's entirely possible that the anime will begin it's second season in October after Goldstorm has finished.
Desa

PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2015 6:38 am Reply with quote
It's hard to explain, but I dig the CGI fight scenes. Really I do. I thought it seemed strange in the very beginning but it grew on me. Perhaps it's because it kinda takes me back to the days of the Power Rangers and their over-the-top cheesy costumes and monsters so fake they couldn't fool me on a conscious level even as a child, at least not in the same way "man-in-suit" Godzilla did.

But I suppose at some level I didn't need to believe it was real, like an elaborate stage everything is set up and all I have to do is pretend that it's real and that was enough. It was a simple paradise and I you needed was your imagination. I know I sound a bit like Reading Rainbow but it was as true then as it apparently is now. I guess you don't have to outgrow everything.
AtoMan

PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2015 6:50 am Reply with quote
You want an unreal-looking Garo fight? Try Makai Senki finale.

That said, seems they forgot about the details of Leon's armor. Not only he lost the scarves with rings after Alfonso took over, in his first fight after taking it back he had his cape... and now he lost it too. It's not too noticeable but still bugs me a bit.
battlephile

PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2015 8:14 am Reply with quote
I'd like to see more development on Leon and Emma's relationship.
Hellwarden

PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 2015 3:18 pm Reply with quote
I'm a bit disappointed that Mendoza has become a bit more obviously evil in the last few episode. Betraying his assistant, and his ultimate goal now being immortality, he feels less like a character than he was originally made out to be.

That said, still easily one of the best shows this season.
Agent355

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2015 1:12 am Reply with quote
Mendoza playing Tetris was awesome, as if this show didn't remind me of a videogame already!

I assume they're transportation to the modern world had something to do with the modern day, live-action version of GARO, but it *did* look like Terror in Resonance's backgrounds, now that you mention it. Ema was awesome, though.

I basically spent 3/4 of the episode telling German *not to die*! I'm really attached to that jerk, I guess. If he *did* get Ximena pregnant, he's gotta stick around to raise it. But what if Leon got Ema pregnant? We need another boy to inherit German's armor, so it really could be either of them. So much more fun to think of the relationship side of things than who's gonna die? The finale's gonna be a doozy!
Sachiko2010

PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2015 6:46 pm Reply with quote
I am going to be really upset if Emma is dead. Sad I definitely agree with the reviewer that she is the best character, and my favorite for sure. When she gave Leon that last parting kiss, I just knew something bad was in her very near future, but maybe the writers can find it in their hearts to save her.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2015 7:32 pm Reply with quote
Heh, I think that review narrowed down where Gabriella calls home. ;)

I'm pretty sure Germán is dead, but he's not done. If he managed to save his short sword in the soul jello mold, I'm thinking his "last words" about carrying the blood that seals away Horrors is going to come into play next episode in a literal way, or at least something along those lines.

But Mendoza's not dead yet, is he? I thought at this point he'd become immortal, at least until someone undoes his work. He certainly didn't seem much bothered by having a sword run through him.

And I agree, the nipple talons were a bit over the top. :)
maxwell3094

PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2015 7:40 pm Reply with quote
I thought it was a pack of normal wolves that killed Octavia's family while her sister prayed to god and no one else helped them? Or am I just remembering that scene wrong?
Animelover12313

PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2015 9:02 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
In hindsight, her character motivation doesn't make a lot of sense. Horrors killed her family, so she hates Makai Knights? I get that she's supposed to despise Makai Knights because they weren't there to save her family, but it's a flimsy reason to drive her toward Mendoza, a man whose power is summoning Horrors. But who am I to doubt the temptation of wrinkly old man flesh?

uh.....I think you have mistaken there. Octavia's family didn't get killed by horrors, they were killed by regular wolves. Her motivations for following Mendoza was because she was praising to her "god" to protect her family but the "god" didn't answer so she despite that "god". After seeing Mendoza able to do stuffs like summoning horrors, she grew a fond of him and worship him as her "god". There are 2 reasons she hated the Makai Knights. 1 is because she followed Mendoza and worship him, she already said that she would do anything to help her because quite frankly, when a person lost trust in a being such as God to find a person that she can worship and he said that he would never abandon her, I think she just really appreciate a gesture like that from that person. The second reason was because Leon and Alfonso forced her to have to kill off the maid who she looked at as her little sister because she has lost the little sister before. I do realize that this is getting a bit long so I'll stop here. Just giving my 2 cents.
Hellwarden

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2015 3:58 pm Reply with quote
So Garo was probably my favorite show of the season.

It wasn't the smartest, or really even the most consistent.

But it was the funnest.

Also, probably the one most inspired by heavy metal album covers.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2015 4:00 pm Reply with quote
That was a spectacular ending for this type of series. I wasn't too surprised by anything, but they totally covered all the bases and sewed it all up nicely. They even tied up loose ends I'd forgotten were dangling. Well done!
Wingbeats

PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2015 1:29 am Reply with quote
Garo probably remained my personal favorite of the Fall/Winter season this year, pretty easily. It may not be the deepest or "best" one, but I certainly enjoyed it the most! Weird CGI notwithstanding, I love the art, the fights, and the general style of everything. Animated heavy metal album covers for the win!

I had a lot of fun watching it, and perhaps if we're lucky we'll get more animated Garo in the future, I hope Smile

But for now, thanks for the great entertainment, MAPPA!
YumeHunter

PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2015 4:50 am Reply with quote
Wingbeats wrote:
I had a lot of fun watching it, and perhaps if we're lucky we'll get more animated Garo in the future, I hope Smile
There's already a second season and a movie announced.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
Page 6 of 6