• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Toshio Okada Rips Apart Gundam Reconguista

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
meiam

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2014 10:02 pm Reply with quote
ryanvamp wrote:

What? He's actually a colonel in the Capital Guard Intelligence Division.
Also she wasn't left to wander the base; Montero's pilot specifically asked for the return of both Aida AND the G-Self, which coincidentally no one but Bellri & the two girls could activate at all, making it a huge block of nothing for the time being. Rusita clearly wants to know more about the machine and making such a move allows for the next development to occur; he also made sure to talk with the princess so she has second thoughts about the kind of people she's supposedly fighting against.

I'm starting to think it IS true that people do not pay attention unless the plot is like announced through HUGE billboards and repeated three times during each episode.

Oh so it's one of those spoiler["my plan was to have the pirate attack the capital, take out most of its armed forced and then escape with the G-self so that I could study it instead of just studying it using the pilot who can activate it and is on my side and interrogating the pirate that we have captured while keeping her locked up".] Between stupid plot or non sensical plot, I chosen to believe it was non sense, but I guess you can argue that it's just stupid. Plus if that's really what you believe happen, spoiler[why the heck are the pirate just stealing the photon battery and not militarily taking over the capital since they are more than capable of doing that and apparently part of another faction military?]
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2014 12:09 am Reply with quote
Okada's just mad because he thinks the world is square. But it's NOT. It's not. Don't be hating on Reconguuista for sayin' the truth Okada.
Niflheimr

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2014 12:52 am Reply with quote
Anime fans raging ”it is to hard”, check.
Anime know-it-all raging, check.
No wonder I liked it.
CoreSignal

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2014 1:19 am Reply with quote
No Comment wrote:
I think at this point things like Ideon, ZZ Gundam, and Garzey's Wing have numbed me to the standard level of nonsensicality in his writing.

danilo07 wrote:
It is combination of everything worst about Tomino in one work. Full of expositional dialogue with a lot non sequuntur,

While I haven't seen Reconguista yet, I can say this is the one thing I can't stand about Tomino. Much of the character motivations in his shows don't make sense and characters will blurt out names or say completely off topic things in a normal conversation. The best example I can think of is Tomino's "answer" (lol) to Evangelion, Brain Powerd.The dialogue and writing in that show were so disjointed I thought I was watching some art house comedy. Tomino is a great "ideas" man and a decent director, but he should stay away from writing dialogue.

redranger wrote:
I still remember zeta gundam. Characters falling in love every other scene, a story that made little sense and had no setup(I don't care if it's a sequel)....utter nonsense.

I glad I'm not the only who found Zeta gundam to be strangely bad. I thought the actual plot was interesting, but characters would suddenly do things for seemingly no reason, a character will like someone for two episodes and then suddenly change his/her mind. The show felt random half the time.

ryanvamp wrote:
I am enjoying Reconguista....
I agree it can be quite confusing and SOME of the dialogue is clunky; the story is also presented in a very unfriendly (for the viewer) manner

I find it hilarious that you say this about the show,yet you think Eva 3.33 is terrible, oh, the irony.
SantaBla

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2014 3:25 am Reply with quote
SilverTalon01 wrote:
Nyren wrote:
G-Reco is old school. From the characters, to the mobile suits, the cinematography, and even the designs. It's all classic Tomino.

Yes, I said it. I like SEED. I know, to a lot of you that invalidates my opinion immediately, but to bad.

Except the character designs look absolutely nothing like classic gundam. They look like E7 would if it was made in the 80s.

And that only invalidates your opinion with the crowd that thinks they are cool if they hate on things because they are popular.

Actually, G Reco is not old school, but just Tomino's directing style. He has a knack for freeze frames. They're great for comedic scenes like in L-Gaim and Xabungle.

If you have seen the latest epi, you'd see the animals doing funny faces.

His previous shows were more easily followed because they usually had a narrator to tell everything what's going on. He doesn't do it anymore in his newer anime.
Fronzel

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2014 4:20 am Reply with quote
CoreSignal wrote:
redranger wrote:
I still remember zeta gundam. Characters falling in love every other scene, a story that made little sense and had no setup(I don't care if it's a sequel)....utter nonsense.

I glad I'm not the only who found Zeta gundam to be strangely bad. I thought the actual plot was interesting, but characters would suddenly do things for seemingly no reason, a character will like someone for two episodes and then suddenly change his/her mind. The show felt random half the time.

Remember the episode the main cast spent making sure fighting didn't break out between them and the Zeons, and the next episode immediately had them fighting without explanation? Or how they suddenly feel an intense need to kill Scirocco even though he never actually did anything for the whole series? Or when Char got the opportunity to tell the world about how the Titans were fascists and he instead said some hippie thing about how nobody should live on the Earth? Or when Camille opened his space suit while in space?

That show is bananas.
AsherFischell

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2014 7:54 am Reply with quote
Fronzel wrote:

Remember the episode the main cast spent making sure fighting didn't break out between them and the Zeons, and the next episode immediately had them fighting without explanation? Or how they suddenly feel an intense need to kill Scirocco even though he never actually did anything for the whole series? Or when Char got the opportunity to tell the world about how the Titans were fascists and he instead said some hippie thing about how nobody should live on the Earth? Or when Camille opened his space suit while in space?

That show is bananas.

Some of my personal favorites are Reccoa completely abandoning her entire philosophy and way of life because she made eye contact with Scirocco and Rosamie getting brainwashed into thinking Kamille was her brother for no solid reason. And then there's the fact that the entire crew of the Argama was fine with getting killed in order to protect Emma from an attack because the captain had a crush on her. Oh, and how the plot liked to repeat events in order to pad itself out. Oh, look, Sarah got captured. Again. And they still didn't make sure she couldn't escape. Oh, hey, Kamille's having an extremely familiar meeting with Four. Jerid has a new girlfriend that met him and immediately decided she was in love with him, only for her to immediately get blown up by Kamille. Char's Counter Attack is also guilty of many of the same plotting/characterization problems.
YumeHunter

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2014 9:08 am Reply with quote
In my opinion Build Fighters is a lot better than G-Reco.
ChocoBar1

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2014 9:20 am Reply with quote
YumeHunter wrote:

A pandering crapfest is much better than an actual product of labor? This is the current anime fandom folks and you people wonder why they keep making fanservice and harem anime sense they appeal to the lowest common denominator
ChocoBar1

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2014 9:25 am Reply with quote
AsherFischell wrote:
Fronzel wrote:

That show is bananas.

Some of my personal favorites are Reccoa completely abandoning her entire philosophy and way of life because she made eye contact with Scirocco and Rosamie getting brainwashed into thinking Kamille was her brother for no solid reason. And then there's the fact that the entire crew of the Argama was fine with getting killed in order to protect Emma from an attack because the captain had a crush on her. Oh, and how the plot liked to repeat events in order to pad itself out. Oh, look, Sarah got captured. Again. And they still didn't make sure she couldn't escape. Oh, hey, Kamille's having an extremely familiar meeting with Four. Jerid has a new girlfriend that met him and immediately decided she was in love with him, only for her to immediately get blown up by Kamille. Char's Counter Attack is also guilty of many of the same plotting/characterization problems.

Do you people never pay attention to the series you watch?

Reccoa made it clear - she talked about how she's lived on whole life on the battlefield and now she only feels alive when she's risking her life. She's a thrill junky. spoiler[That's why she took the mission to sneak onto Scirocco's ship. By the time that happened, she was already thinking of leaving the AEUG because she didn't feel like she was doing enough.]

meiam wrote:
ryanvamp wrote:

What? He's actually a colonel in the Capital Guard Intelligence Division.
Also she wasn't left to wander the base; Montero's pilot specifically asked for the return of both Aida AND the G-Self, which coincidentally no one but Bellri & the two girls could activate at all, making it a huge block of nothing for the time being. Rusita clearly wants to know more about the machine and making such a move allows for the next development to occur; he also made sure to talk with the princess so she has second thoughts about the kind of people she's supposedly fighting against.

I'm starting to think it IS true that people do not pay attention unless the plot is like announced through HUGE billboards and repeated three times during each episode.

Oh so it's one of those spoiler["my plan was to have the pirate attack the capital, take out most of its armed forced and then escape with the G-self so that I could study it instead of just studying it using the pilot who can activate it and is on my side and interrogating the pirate that we have captured while keeping her locked up".] Between stupid plot or non sensical plot, I chosen to believe it was non sense, but I guess you can argue that it's just stupid. Plus if that's really what you believe happen, spoiler[why the heck are the pirate just stealing the photon battery and not militarily taking over the capital since they are more than capable of doing that and apparently part of another faction military?]

So only do you still not get it and you're blaming the plot for your own stupidity?
AsherFischell

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2014 9:33 am Reply with quote
ChocoBar1 wrote:

Reccoa made it clear - she talked about how she's lived on whole life on the battlefield and now she only feels alive when she's risking her life. She's a thrill junky. spoiler[That's why she took the mission to sneak onto Scirocco's ship. By the time that happened, she was already thinking of leaving the AEUG because she didn't feel like she was doing enough.]

Do you always have to be as condescending as possible when you respond to someone? She's a thrill junkie, so she wanted to risk her life because she felt she wasn't doing enough? She was already risking her life in the first place and being with Scirocco wasn't any more dangerous than being with the AEUG. Don't pretend like her leaving wasn't mostly about Char rejecting her and also don't pretend that her magically falling in love with Scirocco at first sight had nothing to do with it. Not only was it out of character, but she completely changes and abandons everything for the sake of plot convenience.
YumeHunter

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2014 10:21 am Reply with quote
ChocoBar1 wrote:
YumeHunter wrote:

A pandering crapfest is much better than an actual product of labor? This is the current anime fandom folks and you people wonder why they keep making fanservice and harem anime sense they appeal to the lowest common denominator
My another reason after showing my own opinion was to see what kind of reactions I would cause and I have to say you my dear exceeded all of my expections. And yes I think it's lot better. It has nothing to with anime fandom that you think I show to you but because I honestly think it's more enjoyable to me than G-Reco. I don't want huge amazing story in Build Fighters because I know it's a kids show. It has amazing soundtrack that makes the battles so good and funny characters that don't make me want to facepalm myself(also the dialogue is not godawful)
If I am to you the current anime fandom then you to me are a fan of a some kind of anime franchise(in this case Gundam) who can't accept the reality that the franchise can have other than serious shows that are enjoyable if you can take your head out of your ass and just watch it without thinking it's a some kind of disgrace to your lovely franchise. Of course this is only my opinion Wink
Cptn_Taylor

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2014 11:15 am Reply with quote
AsherFischell wrote:
ChocoBar1 wrote:

Do you always have to be as condescending as possible when you respond to someone? She's a thrill junkie, so she wanted to risk her life because she felt she wasn't doing enough? She was already risking her life in the first place and being with Scirocco wasn't any more dangerous than being with the AEUG. Don't pretend like her leaving wasn't mostly about Char rejecting her and also don't pretend that her magically falling in love with Scirocco at first sight had nothing to do with it. Not only was it out of character, but she completely changes and abandons everything for the sake of plot convenience.

Reccoa defected because Char didn't give a rat's ass about her. That is her motivation. Stupid with a big S. Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes are just not enough to express how ridiculous it all is.
YumeHunter

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2014 11:38 am Reply with quote
SantaBla wrote:
Anime fandom in general is awful. A lot of bad reception to G Reco is precisely because of the average age of its viewers. G Reco happens to be a kid's show as well for your information, and 4 episodes are hardly enough to judge the whole series especially when Build Fighters already ran for a whole season.

Instant gratification is what's actually destroying the industry. No one wants to wait, they want to understand everything right now.

Good shows don't abuse on anime clichés which Build Fighters is actually guilty of, as well as the rest of the industry. Not that there's anything wrong with Build Fighters on the surface, but it's just completely generic and follows every fighting anime trope to the letter. Perhaps it's tolerable for your first 100 anime series, but past 500, you start looking out for something different at the expense of these sometimes good tropes, like G-Reco. We haven't had an anime that actually doesn't hold hand for quite a while, and even if it's not actually as good as Build Fighters, it doesn't matter because the experience will definitely be different, and that's already worth more than a hundred harem anime.
I completely understand what you're saying and agree with you. The anime fandom has taken a bad turn and it shows in many ways. When you're a person who has seen a lot of anime and of course not only mainstream shows, you start to notice the "cliches" easily. Build Fighters has cliches just like you say but they're not necessery bad like in some harem shows that I like to avoid. But of course this all goes down to the fact that everything nowadays has cliches(some smaller, some bigger). I don't hate G-Reco at all and even though there are lots of things in it that I don't enjoy, I still like to watch it because it's different and I applaud it for that. For me everything comes down to enjoyment and thus far in this case Build Fighters Try has me into it more than G-Reco. But I found it extremely rude that if I like Build Fighters more than G-Reco it makes me the icon of the current anime fandom(in a rude way also). That just plain stupid. I just wanted to say that and not try to start any wars here.
ChocoBar1

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2014 1:26 pm Reply with quote
AsherFischell wrote:
ChocoBar1 wrote:

Eh, Reccoa said it herself, she's a thrill chaser. She had no beliefs or philosophy like you're stating so how is it out of character, people who say she abandons AEUG for plot convenience were not paying attention to her actions throughout the show but I guess the fact that a character is written to be abominable makes him/her a bad character anyways.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 6 of 7