• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Death Parade (TV).

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Harleyquin

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2015 12:00 am Reply with quote
DuskyPredator wrote:
Episode 8

The first double episode story. I was actually theorising spoiler[towards the end that both of them were a killer, and that seems to be the case]. Has me wondering if spoiler[they are both connected, the photo that the detective was looking at could have been the other guy]. I wonder if he spoiler[blamed the detective for what happened to his sister, killed his wife, and the last thing they remember is walking towards each other].

I wouldn't be surprised if you were right. However next week's trailer has an interesting shot of the sister in hospital. Odds are good she said something to the brother which likely led to the state he's in.
Stark700

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2015 2:32 pm Reply with quote
Episode 9:
Wow, that was intense. Way to go Madhouse.

spoiler[I just love how how some of the movements were done with the choreography in regards to the air hockey game. It was interesting to see the mental breakdown of both competitors especially as the game dragged on. At the same time, we also learn more about their formers selves through the clever flashbacks that imo were fairly well done. Seemed like some serious crime went on....]

spoiler[Not surprising that Decim had to intervene though]. Really good episode!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
ookamigirl

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2015 3:56 pm Reply with quote
The truth came out.
It's amazing just how much darkness people have inside.
There's no quitting this game.
The emotional pain was high.
spoiler[Twisted way of thinking... he got what he deserved.
Black haired girl made an very accurate point.]
Harleyquin

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2015 5:11 pm Reply with quote
Well, well, well. Quite the twist we had in this episode.

When Castella warned Nona about the two individuals being marked, she wasn't kidding. This case probably was over Decim's level, even with spoiler[his assistant intervening in an attempt to sway the final judgement. ]

I wonder how many users here are going to argue with Decim's final decision, even if it was spoiler[biased because of his assistant's direct intervention, Shimada was going to stab Tatsumi anyway since he couldn't overcome his hatred. At least now we have the full set of possible judgements illustrated in the series. ]

I'd like to think they chose the voice actor for Tatsumi based on his performance in Psycho Pass 2, same range of emotions and very similar delivery for an altogether different series.

Next week's trailer to me is significant for two reasons. First is spoiler[it appears our assistant committed suicide ] and second spoiler[She and Decim are actually playing trumps against each other, this was referenced towards the end of Death Billiards which led to Decim's reply that he had never lived. ]

If there were any doubts regarding Decim spoiler[being implanted with emotions, then this episode should have dispelled those doubts. ]

Last edited by Harleyquin on Sat Mar 07, 2015 6:40 am; edited 1 time in total
Darkmagick
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2015 7:41 pm Reply with quote
Harleyquin wrote:
I'd like to think they chose the voice actor for Tatsumi based on his performance in Psycho Pass 2, same range of emotions and very similar delivery for an altogether different series.

I wouldn't think that it was that role in particular that made them choose him - Fujiwara Keiji, the voice actor in question, has been popular and well-known for over a decade now, working in a wide variety of roles. He was probably picked on the basis of his history in general.

That being said, if we're making Psycho Pass comparisons, Shimada's VA is also Makishima. Make of that what you will. Wink
Harleyquin

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2015 7:53 pm Reply with quote
Darkmagick wrote:
Harleyquin wrote:

I wouldn't think that it was that role in particular that made them choose him - Fujiwara Keiji, the voice actor in question, has been popular and well-known for over a decade now, working in a wide variety of roles. He was probably picked on the basis of his history in general.

That being said, if we're making Psycho Pass comparisons, Shimada's VA is also Makishima. Make of that what you will. Wink

Thanks for the tip, I didn't make the match with Shimada's voice though. Roles far too different (except maybe for the very end).

Either way, I'm looking forward to hearing the interview with the two of them. It'll be out by tomorrow.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2015 11:36 pm Reply with quote
@ Harleyquin You need to fix your spoiler tags. Somehow they got out of sync. Smile

Excellent episode. But while I understood the parallel they were after, it kind of beggared belief that spoiler[he would/could just watch. I guess it speaks to the predatory aura he was giving off that she thought he was a friend of her assailant.]

A small but artful touch, I really liked the simple way they revealed the final judgement this time.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sat Mar 07, 2015 6:35 am Reply with quote
Episode 9

That got kind of sick there. The detective spoiler[became completely broken that after he killed his wife's killer he became a vigilante like slasher who actually allowed victims to be made so that he felt that he could kill them]. In the end they spoiler[both got dragged down Shimada having his darkest parts being drawn out]. Can't say I spoiler[agree since it was incredibly cruel to put Shimada in that situation, to have him practically mocked by the man who looked to also want to punish himself].

This was indeed spoiler[out of Decim's league]. Especially at the end we saw how spoiler[much of a good guy Shimada was, but that devil brought him down to his level].
Harleyquin

PostPosted: Sat Mar 07, 2015 6:46 am Reply with quote
That's the second time it's happened, I get the tag without the slash first sometimes, it's been fixed now. Thanks to Gina Szabonti for the heads up.

The biggest loser out of this episode is Shimada Sae. She spoiler[signifies her wish for both her assailants to die for what they did to her, with the end result that her only family takes up the task. The end result of Shimada getting killed with one of his victims being a police officer (it will take a lot of investigation to figure out Tatsumi was being a vigilante) not only deprives her of a source of financial and emotional support, the backlash might well finish her in society because of guilt by association. Fortunately there's not enough information to infer if Shimada Sae really wanted to put her brother up to it or if her comment was made under significant emotional stress. She'll have to live with the consequences either way with no hope of seeing her brother in any shape or form every again though. ]

Edit: It appears I was wrong about the trailer. Going by the official website, spoiler[Decim is pairing up his assistant with a new guest, so he must have held the cards to check them before the game began. ]
A Mystery

PostPosted: Sat Mar 07, 2015 2:51 pm Reply with quote
Wow, so many reactions in this forum and in the daily streaming review. I don't really have anything to add. This episode blew me away: the voice acting, emotions, Onna's dead on remarks.

It's nice to see this seemingly episodic show come together as one piece more and more each episode.
12skippy21

PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2015 2:29 am Reply with quote
Twas a good episode.

spoiler[One thing that is nagging me, we point out whether Decim is making the right decisions despite the fact that we have yet to see any knock on effects for said decisions. Surely you could decree that all souls should go to the void or vice versa, what would the implications of this be? It could be a driver to deciding who is number one arbiter, a key to some kind of existential balance, or could this whole rouse be around trying to decide a new god? Very Happy ]

Hope I get to be an arbiter in my next life, looks like fun.
MaxSouth

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2015 7:29 am Reply with quote
Sorry, but I am at again -- trying to see sense and logic in what is depicted. Episode 9:

1) the idea that killers have to be judged though this weird procedure is ridiculous since they are committed ultimate sins, and it is established from very beginning via memory-collecting system. Both of the characters would be sent to "hell", or, in this version, "void". There is absolutely no excuse for murder, and nothing else important around it, no need to go though this whole judgement process;

2) the passionate speech woman assistant gives to one of the characters on how he would have a chance to meet his sister in case of reincarnation is nonsense since the character, as well as his sister (if she was also to reincarnate) would not be able to remember who he was in the past life, it is not part of the setting of "real world" in this anime.
Harleyquin

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2015 8:38 am Reply with quote
I'll play along, although complaining about logical failures in a show which has an unrealistic setting and unlikely premise is a bit rich. Complaining to all and sundry isn't going to change anything with the remaining three episodes. If it's so offensive to logic and personal values, there's always the final option of walking away and not watching the remaining episodes.

1) Where's your basis for concluding killers are sent to the void simply because they were guilty of murder? If you're going to mix up this world's belief system into the series, then no surprise you find it ridiculous.

1a) Castra warns Nona that the pair for episode 8 and 9 are marked, so special arbiters with the necessary experience are required to handle them. Nona overruled Castra, so we ended up with the double-header. Castra's protests meant she was breaking protocol in making an exception, but Oculus not being present or finding out means she probably gets away with it.

1b) Some cultures and religions perceive suicide to be a crime, but the one guest who did kill himself wasn't sent to the void because of how he died. If that seems illogical to you, then this show isn't for you.

1c) The memory collection system isn't exactly perfect, as Quin's complaints over alcohol with Nona reveal. In some ways it's admirable they can cull so many memories and arrange them into something workable when they only have 2 seconds per person.

2) The Temp's appeal to Shimada isn't based on logic at all. Yes we all know as the audience that the guests spoiler[are simply dolls implanted with the necessary memories to complete the arbitration, ] but the guests don't know that. Furthermore, appealing to Shimada's love for his sister and dangling the carrot that if he did get reincarnated he could see his sister again is the Temp's last and desperate attempt to stop what he was about to do. If he did think it over and asked Decim about what reincarnation really entailed, he might discover the lack of logic from the Temp but she would have accomplished her aim of saving at least one person from the void. Even if he remembered nothing about being Shimada in his next life, it is a considerable improvement from the equivalent of an eternal prision. Being human, she feels empathy for Shimada and absolutely loathes the system she has been a part of all this time.

Not that it matters, but even the voice actors who did the double-header (Fujiwara Keiji in particular) agreed that this setting isn't at all realistic. But they both appreciated the serious nature of the show and agreed that the lack of salvation for many is one of the show's unique traits. Fujiwara didn't think the situation was realistic, but after messing around at the start of the interview said towards the end that the world has many crazy things which do happen, so he empathised with his role and played it for it was worth.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2015 8:42 am Reply with quote
MaxSouth wrote:
1) the idea that killers have to be judged though this weird procedure is ridiculous since they are committed ultimate sins, and it is established from very beginning via memory-collecting system. Both of the characters would be sent to "hell", or, in this version, "void". There is absolutely no excuse for murder, and nothing else important around it, no need to go though this whole judgement process;

Aren't you all high and mighty, that you can say anyone who took another's life is automatically beyond evil.
Gewürtztraminer

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2015 9:40 am Reply with quote
No sympathy for Shimada here.
Murder number one, revenge, still premeditated still wrong. Where is the targets chance for atonement? Shimada acted as arbiter deciding that the victim was irredeemable.

Murder number two is worse. The show points out that he had NO IDEA who he just stabbed. It could have been a father of three checking up on the noise he heard next door, a boyfriend of another of the victim's targets, or any other completely innocent person. It did not matter, whoever entered the apartment was 'judged'.

In this fictional world, releasing either back into the world would seem to be crazy.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 6 of 8