• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Kamisama Dolls (TV).

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tuor_of_Gondolin

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2011 9:26 am Reply with quote
Shiroi,

It seems all three of them did to some degree. And now it appears that Kyouhei can't *consciously* use a Doll. Either that, or he is letting everyone else think that is true. Of course, as we saw a few episodes ago, he *can* still control a doll, but I'm not sure if he did that intentionally or not.

And still nothing on where the Dolls themselves came from, or why there are ones like in the last episode. Then there's the issue of what caused the big rift between the two clans to the extent that they're so hammer-and-tongs against each other, even though they live in the same village.

At least now we know a lot more about what caused Aki, Kyohei, and Mahiru to turn out the way they did. And we don't really know how Kyohei was able to finally defeat that thing because he said that he reached the end of his sanity and implied that he didn't remember what happened (I suspect that he does remember). Whatever it was, both Mahiru and Aki think he's pretty bad-ass.
Yttrbio

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2011 11:12 am Reply with quote
There doesn't seem to be an overall plot to this show. It still feels very introductiony. That's perfectly fine with me, I just hope it's perfectly fine with the creators, because if they try to run a serious plot in the time they have left, I don't think the results are going to be that great.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2011 12:20 pm Reply with quote
So we have come full circle with having that scene from earlier on be explained, and likely why Kyohei, Aki, and Mahiru seem to be a bit crazy. Plus I seem to like this Mahiru character, I seem to have had a recent interest in some what crazy or dangerous ojou-samas.
braskez

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2011 6:43 pm Reply with quote
Well this show I think is turning out interesting... Kinda took a harem turn. (But it seems like every show is turning out like that these days i.e. Steins;gate). And they weren't very good at hiding the fact that spoiler[Kyohei was the one who opened up the left arm] or at least im pretty sure about that. But I am enjoying the storyline and the romance isn't overdone so thats good. Overall i must say that i give this show a Thumbs Up! Very Happy. Well.. That's that i guess..
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2011 7:16 pm Reply with quote
Tuor_of_Gondolin wrote:
And now it appears that Kyouhei can't *consciously* use a Doll. Either that, or he is letting everyone else think that is true.

I don't recall anything to indicate that - he chose to give up being a Seki when he left the village.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Tuor_of_Gondolin

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2011 12:53 am Reply with quote
Shiroi,

Yeah. I re-watched the scene at the end of the last episode, and he doesn't say that he *couldn't* use a kukuri, only that his mind was "broken" (that's not very specific). Then immediately afterwards, the scene shifts to Mahiru saying that they all would've died if Kouhei hadn't opened the left hand.

The village has stated that he is no longer a seki. Do the village authorities think that once they gave the kukuri to his sister that he could no longer use it? If so, they were wrong. Thinking about it some more, I would think it unlikely that he didn't know that he was the one to open the left hand when he stopped Kirio, so he has to know he still has the ability. I bet the village thinks he has been defanged.

I'm guessing we'll learn more about how is mind is "broken" in the next episode. The preview says Hibano gets kidnapped. I'm sure Kyohei will stay calm... yeah... sure he will.
Rukiia

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2011 4:17 am Reply with quote
I started watching this series a few weeks ago. The first few episodes made it hard for me to get into at first, but now I am officially hooked to this series. I've been breezing through it and look forward to watching the next episode. I am currently on episode 9, yet paused it briefly to off this wonderful gem I found while watching it:

The facial expressions used in this series are frigging hilarious!

Yurako Plushie: Hi! Very Happy
Kyohei: WTF?
Utao: Do. Not. Want.

Anime hyper
*ahem*

I am horribly curious about what Aki said to Hibino about Kyohei. spoiler[About Kyohei having a dark side that he is desperately trying to conceal from everyone.] Makes me wonder if they are going to do a rush job on the last few episodes, or leave it open for another season. Guess we shall see!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
batou37

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2011 12:29 pm Reply with quote
As to whether or not kyohei can still control it, I thopught I remembered a flashback or something in a previous episode where it showed the bonding of a seki to the user who has a talent for it (can't remember off hand who it was.) In that they put some of the users blood in the seki to form the bond. F From that I have always thought they would continue to be connected to it even if a new user was given the seki, and that it was more a case of having the will to control it. Almost like the bond would be a user name and a password to a computer. A new one doesn't negate the old one, it just takes the old user wanting to "login" to have control. Just as Aki can control the purple knife one again now in the present which he had as a kid but lost to his cousin or whoever that assface was that screwed with sensei. In that scene I took it as that guy losing his confidence or having a weak will compared to Aki when he confronted them and saw what they had done, and therefore Aki reasserted control.
Tuor_of_Gondolin

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2011 2:11 pm Reply with quote
batou,

If a seki is defined as "someone who controls a kakashi" and the village said he was no longer a seki, then that implies to me that the village, at least, thinks he can no longer control a kakashi. I thought maybe the blood is supposed to override the previous seki's imprint with the new one, which would explain why the village thought he had been "removed" from being able to control a seki. OTOH, as you said, there's the deal with Aki and that punk, so... I guess Kouhei isn't a seki because he doesn't want to be one?

From his comments around Kukuri, he seems to think that they're through. He shows no indication that he's receiving any sort of input from it, where all the other seki are able to perceive what their kakashi perceive.

Anyhow, I'm looking forward to the next episode. I think we're gonna finally see Kouhei come unglued.
WhiteHairGirls

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2011 5:23 pm Reply with quote
I thought this anime would be dumb so I didn't watch it when it first came out. Then my friend said it was good and I watched all 10 episodes in a couple of days. I love this anime. Utao and her face expressions are just hilarious. The story is pretty nice too.
dtm42

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2011 6:38 pm Reply with quote
Kouhei can override his sister and control Kukuri, he just doesn't want to.

Remember when Utao was getting trashed by Kirio back in episode five, and Kukuri's left arm activated and severely damaged Kirio's kakashi? That was Kouhei. The proof is that when that happened, Kukuri's song changed to the one played when Kouhei was in charge of it* as opposed to the song we normally hear which is when Utao is in charge of it. Although it isn't slam-dunk this surely cannot be a coincidence.

Just as Aki overrode that arsehole dude because Aki had a stronger connection to the kakashi, so could Kouhei override his sister. Kouhei is too traumatised to be a Seki again, but that doesn't mean he couldn't be if he wanted to.

I have to say, Kamisama Dolls has turned out to be one of the better shows of the season. I am a bit surprised, because it didn't look like much to begin with and then started out kind of clunky, but it has found its feet. The latest episode was really well done, portraying the terror, anguish and sheer desperation of the children so well it caught me off guard.

As heard in episode seven which was the flashback one with the teacher. It is at the 1m 40s mark. The time against Kirio was at the 9m 05s mark in episode five. You tell me there isn't a coincidence.
dan7el

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2011 7:49 pm Reply with quote
In Episode 5, where Utao fought her twin, did she open the doll's left hand or did Kohei do it? I didn't get the impression Kohei did, but Utao seemed shocked that she'd done it.

Later, we learn that Kohei was the only Seki good enough to open the doll's left hand in the past.

I too think Kohei is either going to take control of the doll again or another doll. I think we should be further along in the story now though, if it's only 13 episodes long....
Tuor_of_Gondolin

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2011 9:07 am Reply with quote
dan7el,

If you look back in this thread, we did talk about the incident in Episode 5. If you listen closely, you'll notice that the song being sung by Kukuri was a different song than it sings when Utao is controlling it. In fact, you'll find that the song is the same as it sang when *Kouhei* was controlling it. From this, we can determine that it was Kouhei that caused the doll's left hand to open when it destroyed Kirio's doll.
dan7el

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2011 7:16 pm Reply with quote
Sorry. I got lost looking for the discussion on episode 5. I did review it before posting. Doesn't seem like they can wrap all of this up in a mere two more episodes, though.
Yttrbio

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2011 9:11 pm Reply with quote
You know, I was just thinking that this show needed more spoiler[rapists].

I don't think the parallels need to be that close or specific. Yeah, we get it, Kyohei succeeds at everything Aki fails at, be it spoiler[fighting mysterious kakashis or saving girlfriends from rapists who are using them to get to the dudes they have longstanding grudges against.] I hope the sequel involves Aki going after the writer for revenge. It would be so Aki to say "screw you" to the rules that say he can't break the fourth wall.

Not-quite-successfully-menacing Mahiru is awesome.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 6 of 8