• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Re:Zero -Starting Life in Another World- (TV) (all seasons).

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dessa

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2016 11:11 pm Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:
...that the carriage driver/swordsman knew about people dying more than once was a surprise to me.

I didn't take from that that he knew that someone could have an ability like Subaru's, I took it as a "seen death" from a warrior/soldier's standpoint. Not experiencing it first-hand, but being close to someone else as they pass.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2016 12:04 am Reply with quote
Maybe a translation issue then. If he was talking about a warrior who's seen death many times he'd say it like that, as have dozens of fictional warriors before him, rather than "experienced death several times" which is an awfully specific way of saying it. I also trust he wasn't suggesting he was a coward who "dies [several] times" over the valiant's once. Smile

Or you could be right. I've put too much stock in their word choices before and been fooled. :¯\_(ツ)_/¯:
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2016 12:42 am Reply with quote
Episode 12

"Her name was Felix, that is an odd name for a girl...... oh." Well he is still cute.

Rem is just smitten with Subaru at the moment. Carriage scene was awesome. Also comment in asking if the three guys are the only hoodlums in the capital.

Emilia did seem hurt that he broke his promise. Chances are things he will learn will help protect her, but I wonder at what cost if he cannot trust in her, and in turn her trust that he would listen to her.

Introduced to some new characters was pretty fun. I was totally distracted in one scene by a cute small dog person.
Raftina

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2016 12:29 pm Reply with quote
It's ok. Subaru will probably die at some point in the near future and reset the trust issues that arose because he broke his promise.
Tuor_of_Gondolin

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2016 1:27 pm Reply with quote
Raftina wrote:
It's ok. Subaru will probably die at some point in the near future and reset the trust issues that arose because he broke his promise.

Probably, and when he comes back around, he'll have some built-in knowledge about the various players which will allow him to plot his actions better.
Gin-No-Ji

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2016 4:06 pm Reply with quote
DuskyPredator wrote:
Episode 12

"Her name was Felix, that is an odd name for a girl...... oh." Well he is still cute.

Rem is just smitten with Subaru at the moment. Carriage scene was awesome. Also comment in asking if the three guys are the only hoodlums in the capital.

Emilia did seem hurt that he broke his promise. Chances are things he will learn will help protect her, but I wonder at what cost if he cannot trust in her, and in turn her trust that he would listen to her.

Introduced to some new characters was pretty fun. I was totally distracted in one scene by a cute small dog person.

i hear it's because Lia's a spirit magic user and promises mean everything in their contracts, so breaking a promise is like a sin to them..

i love seeing dragons in the capital Embarassed

and priscilla.. Embarassed Embarassed i love her voice actress.
FenixFiesta

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2016 3:39 pm Reply with quote
Ep 13
That last scene was an amazing deconstruction between a lady and guy lead, spoiler[they "talked it out" and in the end Emilia chooses to dump Subaru because he is magically locked out from explaining his revivals.
Subaru with the time skips has known Emilia for a period that spans months, and for Emilia she has spent barely a month and certainly she would not recognize all the times he spouted cute lines to win her affection.
The grand part is of course that relationships aren't "that easy" and from one sides perspective they think it is going along perfectly but from the other they are simply "an acquaintance".]
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2016 3:44 pm Reply with quote
Well Subaru, you done gone and f***ed it up.

Hopefully this'll be an arc where Subaru doesn't die so he has to deal with these consequences properly.
Raftina

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2016 4:19 pm Reply with quote
You are thinking too small. Think of the potential: He mends his relationship with Emilia, dies, then resets to just after the end of this episode.
Treeborn

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2016 4:38 pm Reply with quote
My gosh. This entire episode, I had a single dominant thought - Subaru...STFU!!! Like, seriously, how old is he? That was not the time or place to behave like that at all. Straight up humiliated her, and when asked why, his answer was essentially " because I love her." Enough man. She did right in abandoning him. At the end, he was speaking to her like she was his property or something.

Like, I sort of get where he's coming from, but in the end, she never asked for his help. She shouldn't have a debt forced on her.
HaruhiToy

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2016 6:42 pm Reply with quote
Definitely not the episode that shows Subaru at his smartest. Hard to watch actually.

I am a bit conflicted about that. On one hand the hero with flaws is more interesting but his errant stupidity in this episode seems out of character with the kind of errors he learned from before. He went from being nearly selfless to being totally selfish even to the point that Emilia had to call him out over it.

In the last episode I wrote that I hoped Emilia wouldn't let him off the hook for disregarding her wishes so blatantly and indeed she didn't. But it didn't go well.

Of course he can probably die to erase his mistakes but I'm not sure I want to see that. Does anyone else?
Morry

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2016 7:19 pm Reply with quote
HaruhiToy wrote:

[Snip]

Of course he can probably die to erase his mistakes but I'm not sure I want to see that. Does anyone else?

I hope not. It'll just demonstrate his cowardice trying to run away from his screw-ups instead of tackling the actual issue.

Personally, I've never considered Subaru so selfless. Since episode 1, he's been simple, impulsive, and stubborn. Those aren't necessarily always flaws but let's not forget Ram's opinion of his answer concerning the red and blue ogres. He can be very arrogant in even his well-meaning desires. Top it off, he's a shut-in and probably not the most socially-minded person around. His love for Emilia's genuine but he's also been thinking of what he wants for her more than what she wants for herself.

Luckily for him, he's had life-threatening situations where he either succeeds or gets a redo, so he's been able to show off the best of him while minimizing the bad. But we're finally in a situation where spoiler[saying or doing the wrong thing doesn't mean death so he keeps on chugging. And now his tactlessness, impulsiveness, idiocy, and stubborn pride don't have death to force him to rethink how he's going forward and it naturally ends badly. Emilia thankfully calls him out on most of it.]

In that regard, I'm glad we got this (cringe-worthy) episode. It took all my worries about his character and let them all flourish (explode) in what I thought was inevitable. I'd be pretty disappointed if he could just reset before this to avoid self-reflection and keep looking his best to everyone.
HaruhiToy

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2016 7:24 pm Reply with quote
^ good points. It looks like this is your first post to ANN so assuming it isn't just a new login welcome to the forums.
Treeborn

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2016 7:36 pm Reply with quote
Agreed, A redo would not do well. This doesn't seem like the kind of situation a writer would just wash off. Subaru irritated the crap out of me the episode, but the episode itself was still great. The dialogue between Subaru and Emilia at the end was fantastic.
Morry

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2016 7:38 pm Reply with quote
Thanks. Longtime lurker and glad to be here. o/

I definitely liked what this episode did, pain and all. If this is Subaru's worst, I'll gladly take it.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 6 of 24