• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: JoJo's Bizarre Adventure: Diamond Is Unbreakable

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2016 3:20 pm Reply with quote
leafy sea dragon wrote:
But he's not truly evil.

Hence the fake cat.
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2016 4:46 pm Reply with quote
leafy sea dragon wrote:

Ah, I remember that now.

I don't see this sort of phenomenon happening anymore, but maybe people just try to do it covertly. I just see dogs getting abandoned by the road. You'd think people get pets because they love them...

Why own a pet for love when you can simply own them for some novel purpose like using them to fight or show them off then or illegally discard/abandon them when the situation merits it?
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2016 7:30 pm Reply with quote
BadNewsBlues wrote:
Why own a pet for love when you can simply own them for some novel purpose like using them to fight or show them off then or illegally discard/abandon them when the situation merits it?

Either way, it shows how unsympathetic and uncaring these people actually are when they do it. I remember growing up, seeing a PSA about not abandoning your dogs simply because they've grown up and are no longer cute, so I have to wonder if a lot of cases stem from people buying puppies because they adore them but stopadoring them when they get bigger and uglier. It's incredibly shallow.

I'm sure there must be cases where people get pets and don't realize how much time and energy it takes to take care of them and are ashamed of bringing them over to a pound or an animal shelter (or cannot because shelters are completely overloaded).
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2016 8:03 pm Reply with quote
leafy sea dragon wrote:

Either way, it shows how unsympathetic and uncaring these people actually are when they do it. I remember growing up, seeing a PSA about not abandoning your dogs simply because they've grown up and are no longer cute, so I have to wonder if a lot of cases stem from people buying puppies because they adore them but stopadoring them when they get bigger and uglier. It's incredibly shallow.

I'm sure there must be cases where people get pets and don't realize how much time and energy it takes to take care of them and are ashamed of bringing them over to a pound or an animal shelter (or cannot because shelters are completely overloaded).

Oh there's most definitely more than a few cases like that not only for the people who own the typical cat or dog but also for those who somehow think that alligators, pythons, lions etc make for ideal pets never mind how considerably more high maintenance and more dangerous these animals are. People in general just don't bother to take into consideration that like having a child owning a pet is a big commitment that's not to be taken lightly or as a novelty.
Animechic420

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2016 8:31 pm Reply with quote
Yukako is like the love child of Yuno from Future Dairy and Sunny from Toriko: A crazy bitch with super strong hair.

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2016 12:17 am Reply with quote
wohoo, there has been a shortage of quality yanderes recently, and this one is extra creepy heh. What's funny is how everyone immediately caught on to her in like the first 5 minutes of the episode, they didn't even bother trying to make her seem like some normal girl in love heh
zrnzle500

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2016 12:29 am Reply with quote
Quote:
Oh yeah, new opening. I've been growing really fond of 'Crazy Noisy Bizarre Town' lately. As it stands, I'd probably put it just behind 'Bloody Stream' for the best JoJo opening. It's become that friendly face that greets you at the beginning of each episode, which is what the best openings tend to do, in my opinion. I wish I knew music terminology better to critique this new version, but I guess it's dance-ier? More electronic? Hard to say exactly why we're getting this in the middle of the season (unless it really is to mark the Yukako-shaped occasion) but nothing can beat the big band original.

That seems to be the correct impression, as the new op is referred to as the EDM version which stands for Electronic Dance Music. The question of why and how it compares to the original are each separate questions.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2016 1:11 am Reply with quote
Episode 8
Quote:
Yukako kidnaps him and tries to provide for him in the comfort of her own home.

Well, someone else's home, actually. Which kinda makes her chastising him for being a cheater and a shoplifter (and all those other nasty rumors) just a tad hypocritical.
TheRahi00

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2016 4:44 am Reply with quote
Animechic420 wrote:
Yukako is like the love child of Yuno from Future Dairy and Sunny from Toriko: A crazy bitch with super strong hair.

Except that she was created way earlier than both of them
MarshalBanana

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2016 5:53 am Reply with quote
She reminds me of that crazy lady from Hunter X Hunter who liked Gon.
Revolutionary

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2016 7:45 am Reply with quote
zrnzle500 wrote:
Quote:
Oh yeah, new opening. I've been growing really fond of 'Crazy Noisy Bizarre Town' lately. As it stands, I'd probably put it just behind 'Bloody Stream' for the best JoJo opening. It's become that friendly face that greets you at the beginning of each episode, which is what the best openings tend to do, in my opinion. I wish I knew music terminology better to critique this new version, but I guess it's dance-ier? More electronic? Hard to say exactly why we're getting this in the middle of the season (unless it really is to mark the Yukako-shaped occasion) but nothing can beat the big band original.

That seems to be the correct impression, as the new op is referred to as the EDM version which stands for Electronic Dance Music. The question of why and how it compares to the original are each separate questions.

I hope they go back to the original. IMO, this version was very dull compared to the original.
Valhern

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2016 9:50 am Reply with quote
MarshalBanana wrote:
She reminds me of that crazy lady from Hunter X Hunter who liked Gon.

If you ever feel that any JoJo thing kinda resembles something Togashi used, you're almost always in the right track.
VoidWitch

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2016 3:48 pm Reply with quote
Ohhh I love Yukako a lot already. She's got that classic touch of "obsessed admirer" like Annie Wilkes from Misery. And more Okuyasu is always nice. Really enjoyed the episode.
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2016 5:35 pm Reply with quote
Something I don't understand (or maybe it's something I missed...?): Yukako's second quiz question to Koichi, regarding how a particular Japanese word is spelled--what does that have to do with English?
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2016 5:54 pm Reply with quote
Because he'd have to know what the English word meant in order to choose the correct kanji for the corresponding Japanese. Those were all Japanese homophones, but only one means the same as the English word. Of course, since he didn't know the kanji for the taishou she wanted, he still got in trouble. Smile

The correct answer was
spoiler[A = symmetry
B = target
C = contrast]
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 6 of 28