• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Your Favorite Anime Couple

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gin-No-Ji

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2016 3:04 pm Reply with quote
my top would be Kinomoto Sakura & Li Syaoran. i shipped them before i know what shipping is. From rivals to friends to lovers and how he comforted her after her confession to Yukito.. it's just very touching to see their progress.

then Fujioka Haruhi & Suoh Tamaki. i loved how she can't stand the "damn rich kids" of the school and gradually bonded with them, especially tamaki.. love it when haruhi ran after him using the horse carriage.. epic finale with epic guitar riff

then Suzumiya Haruhi & Kyon. she's attracted to him but can't seem to admit it, and he says he can't stand her but keep following her.. love their banter.

then Haruno Sakura & Uzumaki Naruto. i'm all prepared for the bad reactions to this pairing, but i don't see why i should subscribe to the majority opinion... i just love their dynamics, two troublemakers who got off a bad start and gradually bonded with each other, even voice actors say their bond is stronger than a lover's. (don't hate me or others for an opinion please)

wtf i just realized all my faves have similar dynamics Laughing

Last edited by Gin-No-Ji on Sun Jun 12, 2016 6:05 pm; edited 1 time in total
Mee Deggi The Punisher

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2016 3:36 pm Reply with quote
No love for Banri and Kouko from Golden Time anyone? Also love Sakura and Li.
FireballDragon

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2016 5:09 pm Reply with quote
Some of my favorite anime couples are:

Sakura x Li
Ash x Misty/Serena (I'm TORN between who to choose)
Sena x Suzuna from Eyeshield 21
NARUTO X HINATA (Even though I stopped caring about Naruto a LONG time ago
spoiler[BUT I'm GLAD it became canon in the end; Sakura DIDN'T DESERVE NARUTO AT ALL, the violent little brat.]
Nagisa x Kayano from Assassination Classroom.

But with VG couples, my favorites are:

Phoenix Wright x Iris from Ace Attorney
Apollo Justice and Juniper Woods from Ace Attorney
Naegi x Kirigiri from Danganronpa
And Hinata x Nanami from Danganronpa 2

All 4 of them are from just two series because I like anime-eqsue narrative driven games the best.
cyberdraco

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2016 5:35 pm Reply with quote
Top Gun wrote:
Has to be Renton and Eureka for me. Watching Renton develop from a love-at-first-sight teenage infatuation, and Eureka from a barely-noticed unfamiliar sensation, to full-fledged attraction was a wonderful thing, culminating in one of the all-time great anime episodes at the series' midway point. And the beautiful part is that we still had the entire second half to watch their now-realized romance go through some spectacular ups and downs, culminating in a wonderful proof that love can in fact conquer all. FUNi's re-release trailers dub the series "the greatest love story ever animated," and you'll get no arguments from me.

I'm their with ya on this.
feuerwerke

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2016 12:58 am Reply with quote
angelmcazares wrote:
Cryssoberyl wrote:
~Post Removed~.

Don't be disrespectful and attribute my opinion to homophobia. I am a heterosexual man, but I respect and support the LGBT community.

Not intending to pick a fight or insult you here, but genuinely asking this. WHY, then? What bothers you so much about the idea of Utena and Anthy being a romantic couple that you refuse to even accept that Ikuhara intended it that way? I feel like this is something I should be allowed to ask of you without being accused of attacking you.
Odori-chan

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2016 1:40 am Reply with quote
There are so very many great couples in anime that it is really impossible for me to pick a favorite; but I'm old-school, so if I HAD to pick just one it would probably be Misa Hayase and Hikaru Ichiyo from Superdimentional Fortress Macross (AKA Lisa Hayes and RIck Hunter, in the American adaptation Robotech). For those who might not recognize her, my avatar is that of Misa. Among recent anime, I would say one of my favorites would have to be Asuna and Kirito from Sword Art Online. In both cases, the men are sensitive and gentle while also brave and heroic, and the women are strong and capable, the equals in every way of the men.
Odori-chan

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2016 1:46 am Reply with quote
Gin-No-Ji wrote:

then Haruno Sakura & Uzumaki Naruto Embarassed

I always thought Hinata Hyuga made a much better match for Naruto. As much as I like Sakura, I think she's better suited for Sasuke Uchiha. Sakura certainly seems to think so, too. Wink
EricJ2

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2016 1:56 am Reply with quote
Odori-chan wrote:
There are so very many great couples in anime that it is really impossible for me to pick a favorite; but I'm old-school, so if I HAD to pick just one it would probably be Misa Hayase and Hikaru Ichiyo from Superdimentional Fortress Macross (AKA Lisa Hayes and RIck Hunter, in the American adaptation Robotech). For those who might not recognize her, my avatar is that of Misa.

Although even those pale compared to the brief romance between Claudia and Roy--
While everyone else was playing the same shy, hesitant, anime-romance tropes, the most sophisticated couple on the SDF made no secret that they were going at it hot and heavy with the pineapple salad...
trilaan

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2016 2:53 am Reply with quote
My Favorite Anime Couples/Hopefuls include(but are not limited to, as there are so many I love.

There's Ryo Saeba(City Hunter) and his partner/friend/lover Kaori Makimura, City Hunter and Angel Heart(I'm trying hard not to cry here) are characters I became so familiar with they seemed like family. Then there's Makoto Mizuhara and Ifurita, El-Hazard: The Magnificent World Their relationship comes together in one of the most beautiful anime endings ever. Next up are Naruto Uzumaki and Hinata Hyuga of Naruto. These 2 characters were my introduction to the fan-favorite activity of Character Shipping. Also included, both as a great couple/friends/partners, are Lina Inverse and Gourry Gabriev of Slayers. And, yes, for you fans, I nearly put Zelgadis and Amelia here as well. And finally,
Miyuki Kobayakawa and Ken Nakajima of You're Under Arrest. Would you two just GET ON WITH IT! Geez!
Gin-No-Ji

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2016 6:00 am Reply with quote
i forgot Mouri Ran and Kudo Shinichi! love them too, kick ass couple.

Odori-chan wrote:
Gin-No-Ji wrote:

then Haruno Sakura & Uzumaki Naruto Embarassed

I always thought Hinata Hyuga made a much better match for Naruto. As much as I like Sakura, I think she's better suited for Sasuke Uchiha. Sakura certainly seems to think so, too. Wink

we all have our preferences Wink to be honest i was prepared for a bigger backlash. the shipping wars in naruto is monstrous..
invalidname
Contributor

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2016 8:14 am Reply with quote
Mee Deggi The Punisher wrote:
No love for Banri and Kouko from Golden Time anyone? Also love Sakura and Li.

I would, but Golden Time's perverse dedication to that crazy "amnesia ghost" gimmick really drove me away, sorry.
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2016 5:47 pm Reply with quote
Alright everyone can you please provide reasons behind your choices. We're being more lax on our one liner rules here but simply throwing list post after list post is not helping stimulate any real discussion. By all means love your couples, just please tell us why you do. Thanks.
zensunni

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2016 6:25 pm Reply with quote
I would almost go with Souske and Kaneme from FMP! or Anthy and Utena from Revolutionary Girl Utena, but I think Lawrence and Holo from Spice and Wolf take the cake for me. The growth of their relationship, from convenient travelling partners to a loving couple, is wonderful to behold (and even better in the novels). Their chemistry is tops among anime couples, in my opinion.

However, there are several others that I really love, including:
- Sumi and Ushio from Whispered Words, if only the anime actually went far enough to get to the point where they are actually IN a relationship.
- Chiaki and Marika from Bodacious Space Pirates, except that they aren't actually a couple or even partners, but technically rivals... However, they are one of the best, and most natural, couples around.
- Homura and Madoka from Madoka Magica. Let's face it... Homura's devotion to Madoka is unparalleled... to a creepy level...
- Belldandy and Keichi from Ah! My Goddess. They just work!
- Kaito and Ichika from Waiting in the Summer. They are really one of my favorites. Fantastic couple.
- Ryugi and Taiga from Toradora. Just about the best couple out there... Other than Lawrence and Holo, that is...
- Reina and Kumiko from Sound! Euphonium - another couple that isn't really, and evidently, if we could read the books, never will be... But the first season of the anime certainly painted them as a couple and it seems that was the intent by the creative staff as well. Perhaps they knew they would never finish the story in its entirety in anime form so they went with their own love story in this non-love-story anime?

There are many couples that I absolutely love from manga that should have been animated, but that would be a different article...
xyz

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2016 7:33 pm Reply with quote
Since someone already mentioned Ryo and Kaori from City Hunter, Makoto and Ifurita from El Hazard Magnificent, and Jinto and Lafiel from Crest/Banner of the Stars from my list, I'll add just a few more:

Seiji and Shizuku from Whisper of the Heart: They're two brainy kids who knew what they wanted to do with their life. Choosing life partner that early is good in my book.

Goro and Kaoru from Major: It was nice to see their relationship developed so naturally and perfectly without any wrong turn. It was a straight shot.

Namura and Meiko from Marmalde boy: I like that through and through they only have eyes for each other. Sweet forbidden love.

Shikamaru and Temari: Opposites attract. They make a compatible couple. She whips him into shape while he conquers her with his brain.

Makoharu from Free!: Sweet and innocent and they're childhood friends.
JWagnesh8

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2016 7:40 pm Reply with quote
Kyousuke Kasuga and Madoka Ayukawa from Kimagure Orange Road. Dunno why, it just clicks for me.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 6 of 7