• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
March comes in like a lion (TV).

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2018 5:45 pm Reply with quote
Now you are just engaged in semantics. If you look at the scene again, you see Hina leading a stunned Akari away, holding on to her. Akari moves extremely slowly. This is clearly a noticeable physical reaction. Hina takes her to see the nurse... clearly she is worried about her sister's physical state. If it had been a simple matter of her collecting her wits, any empty classroom would have done. The nurse observes that Akari is "white as a sheet" and gives her a beverage. All of that supports my contention that Akari was close to fainting. Regardless, you can't blow off what we saw as a trifle of no significance. There was a clear physical reaction to the encounter that left Akari physically enfeebled. If you deny that then you are simply being wilfully obtuse.

I don't expect Akari to have the wit that the male teacher had in responding to a challenge to produce proof but she could have said, "I know my sister and she would never lie about this." I stand by my contention that her reaction was not justified by the event itself or comes from what we have known of her character. This is an opinion, not a scientifically verifiable fact and I have never contended otherwise.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2018 6:25 pm Reply with quote
Akari's reaction was somewhat unreasonable, but I think it is doubly a fact that Akari's part in the conflict is itself unreasonable. Akari had trouble sleeping the night before because she saw this as a test to live up to the promise she made to her mother on her deathbed, something she from High School gave up her own goals to take on the role of surrogate mother, and is only 21. She should not have these expectations on her, and I don't think someone like Hina actually is doing such, but it is Akari who is making herself sick to do something that a reasonable person, who is mature enough, would not take it so personally.

I am not sure that I can give a perfect one to one, but I have seen enough times where young adults around Akari's age, have pretty much made themselves sick with stress in living up to something that is out of reach. Like overworking themselves at university, or trying to be perfect at a job, or generally just having some perfect idea of what they could be like if they put in the effort, and then just crumple when that perfect image does not happen, and would have been more effective if they did not take things too personal. It is Hina's end that she that this lack of Akari actually able to handle it as not a lack of Akari trying, but that she cares, maybe just a bit too much.
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2018 7:17 pm Reply with quote
@Blood-: Admit it, you were just disappointed Akari didn't tackle the mom, causing them to fall into a conveniently placed mud puddle that tore their clothes and revealed the bikinis underneath.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2018 7:28 pm Reply with quote
Anyone who doesn't acknowledge that that would have been a FAR SUPERIOR literary handling of the material has a heart of stone.
Spastic Minnow
Bargain Hunter
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2018 8:35 pm Reply with quote
It is true that Akari wouldn't have worry much about conflict at her aunt's place. If you remember, Akari (or was it Hina?) previously considered who would go in the case of a parent conference. They knew that grandpa would be an unreasonable "monster" (which Akari wanted to avoid) but also realized that their Aunt would be much worse. I kind of think they aren't even telling her what's going on.

I also keep expecting this situation to bring about the undoubtedly unpleasant reunion with their absentee deadbeat father. We know he's alive, the school might decide he needs to be contacted.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2018 2:50 am Reply with quote
Episode 35

I was pretty much tearing up from the letter that Hina got from Chiho, it was so beautiful. Chiho was left in a pretty rough shape, but she managed to get to a place that really boosted her self esteem, and able to start piecing herself back together. A measured program of making friends with animals which do not judge, older people who should be above such silly social games, and onto peers. The whole thing was having me think that such programs, if they exist for people with depression, would be pretty amazing, that maybe the situation would not look great or be what would help everyone, but it was a situation one kid got the right attention that she needed.

And on that, bully was getting the attention she needed. New sensei separated the ones causing the problems, talked to the rest of the class, and had the bullies apologise. Following that he knew that this had not solved the head bully, that it was not exactly sincere, and just under the surface it begins to show that she blames society to an extent that doing the right thing does not mean success. But sensei sees it as a sort of crap excuse, you can't just blame society for everything, especially when it has nothing to do with her victims, instead seems more of a fact that she was acting out because no one was truly trying to listen to her, and now she has no excuse for that when a teacher is right there and ready to listen to what is really going on. Sensei is awesome!

This episode made me happy. It is not always easy, there might even be some who could think that it was too much work for something, but no doubt it all added up to the world for those affected. That trying to do something really can pay off.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2018 6:25 am Reply with quote
This episode did feel like the finale of Hina's bullying arc, but it is kind of hard to say. If it is, I can say I'm personally satisfied with it except for the proviso that I feel the ringleader has gotten off too lightly. I did love the letter from Chiho and I really hope a future episode does show Hina visiting her (but I'm not expecting it). I enjoyed Hina's reaction to Rei apologizing that he wasn't able to do anything for her. I have to say the show is being cagey about what the exact nature of Rei's feelings for Hina are. There seems to be indications he has a crush on her, but the show isn't being definitive about it, I don't think. I'd be interested what other posters think about that.

And of course, it was great to see other girls in the class reach out to Hina.
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2018 4:04 pm Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
This episode did feel like the finale of Hina's bullying arc, but it is kind of hard to say.

spoiler[It is.]

Blood- wrote:
I feel the ringleader has gotten off too lightly.

Remember that bullies tend to have a whole host of problems in adulthood so take solace that she'll probably have a screwed up life later.

Blood- wrote:
I have to say the show is being cagey about what the exact nature of Rei's feelings for Hina are. There seems to be indications he has a crush on her, but the show isn't being definitive about it, I don't think.

Since this is Rei we're talking about he's probably not sure what his feelings are either. I've said it before, but considering they focused a lot on the toxic relationship between Rei and Kyouko I'm definitely not going to complain if he starts preferring Hina.
killjoy_the

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2018 4:17 pm Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
I enjoyed Hina's reaction to Rei apologizing that he wasn't able to do anything for her.

This annoyed me. Well, it has been annoying me for a while. Rei just kind of makes the whole thing about himself really often, which feels like a really shitty thing to do.
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2018 4:32 pm Reply with quote
Rei's always been trapped in his own head like that. Because he had no direct hand in resolving the situation he feels like a failure. We as the audience are used to having the protagonist be the one to swoop in to save the day in dramatic fashion and it's a good message that even if he didn't do that, just by talking with her and being there for her he made a big difference. Even the simplest act of kindness can save someone.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2018 4:50 pm Reply with quote
Vaisaga wrote:
Blood- wrote:
I feel the ringleader has gotten off too lightly.

Remember that bullies tend to have a whole host of problems in adulthood so take solace that she'll probably have a screwed up life later.

Eh, I have no idea why she is turning out the way she is, but her soul already seems dead. I prefer the tangible evidence of punishment now as opposed to the potential of pain in the future. I aint talkin' no big deal... say, 15 minutes in a locked room with Hina who is armed with a baseball bat studded with bent nails and broken glass... I'm a reasonable guy...

@ killjoy_the: Rei's reaction didn't bother me. I didn't see it as him trying to make the whole thing about himself. Rather, he had promised to resolve the problem for her and he wasn't able to deliver on that promise (in his own mind). Not an unusual way for a 17-year-old boy to look at things, especially if the damsel in distress is maybe somebody who makes his heart go pitty-pat. Hina was right to tune him in.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2018 5:10 pm Reply with quote
The bully is being forced to talk to the head teacher. That right there is a punishment, but also, it is the sort of thing with jail, that reforming someone rather than torturing someone should be preferred. She did some shitty things, whatever is going on with her is preventing her from even feeling remorse here, simply locking her in a room for detention is not going to solve that, or do anything than give a feeling of revenge. That kid is having some sort of frustration in her own life, and rather than telling her simply to tough it out like was wrongly done to her targets, a good teacher should try to talk directly to her.

Kind of like how Chiho seems to have had some recovery by something as odd as going on a farm, the girl might need some sort of special attention. Because, as bad as it is to the victims, her actions could well be a sign her life was going down a bad path before she even started bullying. Revenge can feel good, but it should be a responsibility of the teachers to help all their students.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2018 5:58 am Reply with quote
Episode 37

I think our little Rei-chan can actually connect with supposedly very distant Souya. The guy is not much of a talker, and Rei is enamored by him, but I don't think he is entirely out of reach as Rei was thinking. But, considering some things in the episode and before, there might have been a hint that Souya is partially deaf, or at least some problems in hearing things, which could have explained his answers that were not matching questions earlier and not reacting right.

It was strange for how Rei was talking about how all of the situation was strangely comfortable, and it was put over in the general feel of the episode. I might even say it could be the sort of feeling you get when there is really heavy rain that was set during the episode, it is not all smooth sailing, it might even a bit of a big deal, but you feel strangely relaxed.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2018 7:54 pm Reply with quote
Episode 38

Thank god the eppie didn't end on a cliffhanger considering we've got a three week wait for the next one thanks to the Winter Olympics. I hope Kyouko makes a return appearance soon. I'm ready for some more of her toxic doings.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2018 11:36 pm Reply with quote
Episode bonus points on the sisters enthusiastically talking about food, and Nikaidou being great.

I know that the Chairman said that Souya will be fine if left alone, I feel that that won't be the correct way to help him.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 6 of 7